Fire Emblem 7 Mechanics?

Rooks

Hello people,

I'm a gamedeveloper student and i started a project last summer to reverse engineer Fire Emblem Blazing Sword.

Alas i had it very busy during the summer and school started after the summer again.

So i haven't got anything showable yet.

As i am working on it i get kinda overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things the game entails.

That is why i would kindly ask all of you if you could respond to this topic with all the game mechanics/features that are in the game.

if i can get a comprehensive list of all the mechanics/features then that would make coding/managing the project a lot easier.

Please don't just say a mechanic like Battle, because that's way too vague.

because in the battle happens things like, animations being played, battle calculations and possibly more

i will keep a list of all mechanics/features below

List of mechanics/features already known:

Grid Generator (gets data from dataclass or txtfile to know what kind of level to make)

Grid Cursor (the well known cursor on the grid to select units or open the menu)

Grid (for usage in the chapter, consisting of tiles)

Tile (for example: evenTiles, plainTile, arenaTile, shopTile, armoryTile, villageTile etc.)

-position

-moveCost

-avoidValue

-defValue

-resValue

-event(arena, shop, armory, visit, seize, talk, support, customEvent)

Animation Player (something that knows what animation to play and when)

Character

-stats (hp, str/mag, skill, speed, luck,def,res,con,move)

-weapon level

-items

-support

Hopefully this list will make my request more clear.

**Working on this in the Unity Engine with C#, so anyone pointers with that, or even collaborations let me know in a PM ^^

Edited by Rooks

if i can get a comprehensive list of all the mechanics/features then that would make coding/managing the project a lot easier.

Please don't just say a mechanic like Battle, because that's way too vague.

because in the battle happens things like, animations being played, battle calculations and possibly more

you could use the main page on this very site to see all the calculation information, and the rest (taxicab grid, variable move costs for different terrain types, etc) by maybe playing the game for an hour?

no offense but it sounds like you haven't played the game at all if you haven't already analyzed the game from a developer's standpoint

it may sound cool to start reverse engineering a good game from a cool series, but you really need to understand how a game and its genre is before you start making your own, else you will get dismal failures and be called a hack for not knowing what you're doing

Edited by Lamia

Thanks for the replies people

I hope I'm not being rude, but why are you doing this? What's the goal?

Primarily for learning purposes. I always wanted to recreate Fire Emblem.

The long goal is to make it so that people can easily create there own FE7 mods/hacks or however its called then

I really don't understand what you're asking for. I'll assume that you've played FE7 before, so I'm sure you could populate your list with things you already know, to serve as examples for people looking to help.

see the top post, i have added a list with what i already think i know lol

you could use the main page on this very site to see all the calculation information, and the rest (taxicab grid, variable move costs for different terrain types, etc) by maybe playing the game for an hour?

Thank you^^

no offense but it sounds like you haven't played the game at all if you haven't already analyzed the game from a developer's standpoint

it may sound cool to start reverse engineering a good game from a cool series, but you really need to understand how a game and its genre is before you start making your own, else you will get dismal failures and be called a hack for not knowing what you're doing

I actually have played the game, a lot even. I've got a couple of years of programming experience now (still not that good tho). And im confident enough to start such an ambitious project.

I know it will not be easy and will take a lot of time.

See my first post to see it updated with the mechanics/features i thought of on my own =)

Edited by Rooks

Hello again,

I've been working on it last week and i thought i'd share my progress.

Nothing playable as of yet, but the gridcursor is almost moveable.

Still got a tonshit of stuff to do so please don't burn me >~<

https://github.com/BartGeest/FireEmblemv.2

if you really wanna test things out as there is no demo only code in the above link

clone the project and open it in unity [will explain in detail how to do that if people want]

For the people interested^^

Edited by Rooks