In-depth 1.1.6 Results Tier List (Smash 4)

Jedi

Posted here on Reddit by Freeziebeatz

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/5atfsm/an_indepth_116_result_only_based_tier_list/

It goes indepth in terms of pure results, be it placements, good matches etc for the general cast.

There is an algorithm even for how it works on the page.

The results were thus, stuff like Dark Pit being low is probably because he's mainly used as a counterpick by Pit players, and not alot of people "Solo Main" Dark Pit despite his massive advantage vs Rosalina.

6l9LehX.png

Edited by Jedi

Still as overcast as ever.

People actually use Greninja? I mean, outside of Japan?

Don't think anybody will argue with that top ten.

Really though, why does there need to be so many subtiers? Are there really ten dramatic differences of metagame success that warrant them, or is it just something the Smash fandom has an odd obsession with?

Really though, why does there need to be so many subtiers? Are there really ten dramatic differences of metagame success that warrant them, or is it just something the Smash fandom has an odd obsession with?

Check the Master Sheet in the Reddit link. It goes in detail as to why the results are arranged as such.

Greninja is apparently really popular in Europe.

Check the Master Sheet in the Reddit link. It goes in detail as to why the results are arranged as such.

Greninja is apparently really popular in Europe.

Huh. I... kinda understand it now.

Greninja gets pretty good rep even outside of Japan. He's been in top 8 of majors the past two weeks, 3rd at Eclipse and 5th at Canada Cup. He also has pretty good regional results and a number of solid reps (Venia, Some, Oisifuto, Istudying, Elexiao, DarkAura, Gibus, Stroder, Shinjoebi, Eddy, Kero). All these people either make top 8 at nationals or win regionals. That's way better than most other characters can say.

Yeah...those S-A- tiers aren't surprising. Although, despite not being surprised that Cloud is ranked highly, I am surprised he was put over Sheik.

Well you see, Cloud is 10x easier to pocket so that leads to an inflation of his results. Solo Cloud results at the high level are kinda rare for a top tier tho. Edited by Knife

Greninja gets pretty good rep even outsode of Japan. He's been in top 8 of majors the past two weeks, 3rd at Eclipse and 5th at Canada Cup. He also has pretty good regional results and a number of solid reps (Venia, Some, Oisifuto, Istudying, Elexiao, DarkAura, Gibus, Stroder, Shinjoebi, Eddy, Kero). All these people either make top 8 at nationals or win regionals. That's way better than most other characters can say.

Huh. After the nerfs went memetic and his usage dropped off for a while I never really thought of Greninja as a high-tier character. A pleasant surprise.

i appreciate clarity. i think it's pointless to make a tier list if there are around 30 characters in the c tier.

i appreciate clarity. i think it's pointless to make a tier list if there are around 30 characters in the c tier.

Not to mention, when you have a game with 58 movesets and barely any clones, expecting something along the lines of 5-7 tiers or anything lower is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah...those S-A- tiers aren't surprising. Although, despite not being surprised that Cloud is ranked highly, I am surprised he was put over Sheik.

Sheik is much harder to play at a higher level than Cloud, Cloud is pretty easy to pick up meanwhile.

Favorite comment from the reddit post:

"I envision Ally at home with a spreadsheet, tallying just the right amount of tournies he can

win and get money from, while losing just enough to prevent Mario from making top 5"

Though speaking of which, does the order within the tiers matter? Every other Smash game has numbered every single character in addition to their tier placement, but I don't really see that in Smash 4. Is it assumed that everybody within a tier is about equal now, like with a lot of other fighting games?

Generally people in a similar tier are given an equal look, but with how many crazy comments and results happening literally all the time, people haven't been able to accurately number anything. MKLeo's victory over Ally has also been making people take Marth a lot more seriously now

Abadango and Zero have recently said Link is a top 25 character for instance. Plus T a Japanese Link has been making a bit of a splash, although Scizor in the states would probably be doing the same if he could travel more. As well as different countries having different metas.

You also have goofy things like the best Bowser player, Lordmix who does have wins on people like Void to his credit, saying that Bowser goes even with nearly the entire cast. Which isn't really true. Gotta admire the enthusiasm though.

Edited by Jedi

You also have goofy things like the best Bowser player, Lordmix who does have wins on people like Void to his credit, saying that Bowser goes even with nearly the entire cast. Which isn't really true. Gotta admire the enthusiasm though.

I'd believe it.

After watching Lordmix take a set off of m2k, i'm a believer that Bowser has high tier potential.

Also I can pretty much guarentee that Corrin is just above Pikachu because of all of ESAM's recent losses to Corrins lol

Edited by Ki11erpenguin

I just don't see it, because his weaknesses outweigh his strengths, sure with high skill you can do some really good things with Bowser.

But most of the high group can just dominate him when played at full potential.