Tropes you dislike in television.

IceBrand

I hate the thing where someone is extremely panicky or grieving so they can't exactly focus on the situation and/or want to give up and the other person thinks its appropriate to slap them to "make them come back to their senses"

Yo, I'm the protagonist of this series. And you're a secondary character that helps me out, from the opposite gender! We should have a romance sometime in the near future even if it's extremely out of character!

Misunderstandings where one character jumps to a conclusion and refuses to listen to another character explain themselves

Makes the character seem like an unreasonable twat

Oh fuck yeah these are awful, and semi-related, cases of mistaken/stolen identity where a character gets blamed for a ton of shit they didn't do.

This usually actually happens in anime movies and stuff but when the show introduces a character later on who is legitimately cooler and more interesting than at least 80% of the central cast and for whom it would make decent to perfect sense to join the main group...
and then the show/movie proceeds to kill them off or put them on a bus or something because can't disrupt that Status Quo!

Something exclusive to anime and Japanese media in general but I also hate it when translations leave Japanese name suffixes in the English version. It's kinda forgivable if they're left in the subs while the voiced dialogue is still in Japanese, since then it does sorta serve a purpose of not clashing too much with the audio, but otherwise I can't stand it.

Related, I also hate it when translations have siblings referring to each other using the other one's relation to the speaker as a proper noun (i.e. "Big Brother" or something), because as a sibling (specifically a big brother), I can attest that that is absolutely not how English-speaking siblings actually talk to each other. It kinda kills my suspension of disbelief and makes the sibling relationship feel like an "idealized" (or fetishized, depending on the context... ick, add that to my "hated tropes" list, too) caricature of siblings relationships instead of a genuine sibling relationship.

Also these...

Misunderstandings where one character jumps to a conclusion and refuses to listen to another character explain themselves

Yo, I'm the protagonist of this series. And you're a secondary character that helps me out, from the opposite gender! We should have a romance sometime in the near future even if it's extremely out of character!

Yandere characters. I have never liked them.

What's that? You like the same guy/girl I do? YOU MUST DIE!!

You're not interested in me? IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU THEN NO ONE CAN!!

I find them to be extremely annoying.

Edited by Topaz Light

Tsunderes in general.

"Oh she's a bitch/he's a dick but only because they like you!"

If you're a bitch/dick to me I don't care what you feel like, I'm not gonna dig any deeper. I'll ignore/avoid you and move on.

Oh and also: why does everyone close their eyes mid-conversation, when giving a reassuring smile, when just smiling and in a shed-load of other non-eye-closing situations in anime? I'd enjoy anime 5 times more if people weren't risking getting hit by a car every time they cross the street in anime.

Edited by Kyne

tsunderes should have died years ago (few exceptions but on the whole they suck)

Agreed. Especially when boys in real life think that if a girl shows disinterest or even dislike, they are just being tsundere. FUCK OFF. Plus these characters in fiction tend to be really unnecessariiy nasty people.

Yeah this is way too common in every single medium ever.

Y E S, KILL IT WITH FIRE.

I am so sick of school stories where the smart kid needs to be horrifically bullied for whatever reason. Stop making these stories.

Another one: Really assholish character only stops being an asshole when he (cuz its almost always a he) loses the love and trust of The Girl. Thanks a pantload, Doctor Strange.