First time playing, advice please

So I'm going to play FE6 now. I don't know much information about the game, or know all the characters, therefore I need help in order to play this game.

So, here's what I know:

Wendy and Sophia suck, but I'll still try to use them(although it'd be a waste of time)

Axe wielding characters are not that great, because the game is biased towards swords and lances(?), but I may be wrong here.

Milady is awesome, Roy is not that good.

Zephiel's the baddie.

Legendary weapons are to be found in order to get the true ending.

Yeah, that's what i know so far.

In all honestly, I'm not expecting much from this game, but who knows, this might turn out fun

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axe wielding characters are not that great, because the game is biased towards swords and lances(?), but I may be wrong here.

swords and magic are good, the accuracy of bows, axes and lances is nerfed

Normal mode isn't too bad. Everyone is usable there, even Wendy and Sophia.

Supports are quite nice to have, especially for people with accuracy issues.

Roy can become more usable early on, if you give him quick supports. Alan, Lance and especially Wolt can support with him early.

Being locked into a single weapon type is a bad thing in general, although it shouldn't really make or break any unit. Most (primary) axe users are quite bad in this game, though, simply because their stats suck. ;) Paladins and heroes can still make quite good uses of axes, especially since the endgame is filled with lance-wielding wyvern riders.

In general, you should probably value immediate use over long-term potential. The game is the hardest at the start (the peak difficulty being chapter 7) and actively using your prepromotes is much more helpful than getting slightly more XP on your growth units. You will have to bench most prepromotes at some point, but most of them are quite good when they arrive.

There are no Est-y units in this game. Wendy and Sophia might look like it, but even if they catch up in levels, they will not overtake your 'regular' growth units. Unless you build your team exclusively out of scrub units, you should be fine putting one or two bad fighters in, especially on normal difficulty.

Legendary weapons are to be found in order to get the true ending.

Yep, and I'd look up the requirements if I were you. Most are simply "finish before turn x and some characters must still be alive", but the game doesn't really tell you which maps you have to end quickly. The turncounts themselves aren't too bad, you just might not have the time to rout the enemy or even build up supports. ;)

Speaking of supports, Allen/Lance/Roy is a reasonably quick and very useful triangle.

Holy weapons are found in Gaiden chapters except for the two you get when Jodel/Yodel joins your team so you may want to look up what you have to do to get them before you get very far in. Arena abuse is a good idea in this game so you have a good amount of money and train your units up, as others have said sword and magic users tend to have really good hit rates in this game, as for ax users I recommend Geese when you get him because he ends up being a beast every time I use him, you already know about Milady, there is a route split mid game that is decided by who has a higher total level your peg knights or your nomads and I would recommend looking at the support guide to see what would be the best ones for how you play.

Ok, so far, here's my progress:

Just reached chapter 6, and the maps for the previous chapters were okay. They actually reminded of the maps from FE3, which I like.

All of my characters are doing well, especially Allan and Lance(better than Forde and Kyle lol).Roy is also doing good, although he doesn't double sometimes(mostly against lance wielding units). Marcus, I haven't used much.

Thany and Lugh are doing pretty good, but they need to double more, and Chad is not bad in battle either. Dieck is good but suffers damage from lance units. Wolt is pretty good, and has started doubling enemies. Bors is not bad either, and has doubled on some occasions. My healers are, well healing. Rutger is pretty good and Lot is not half-bad.

However, Ward is currently my worst unit. Gets hit often, can't hit with a Hand axe, and he doesn't double.

So now, a few questions:

Should I bother training Ward and Lot? I could train Lot, since he's better than Ward(can hit with a Hand axe at least).

Should I also bother training Dorothy. I kind of want to use her. Should I also bother with Bors and the later armor knights as well?

Any other tips and advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Wow, you might run out of unit slots if so many of your characters turn out fine :D

Should I bother training Ward and Lot? I could train Lot, since he's better than Ward(can hit with a Hand axe at least).

Should I also bother training Dorothy. I kind of want to use her. Should I also bother with Bors and the later armor knights as well?

Ward: Definitely not. He has a speed growth of 20%, so most likely he'll never be any good.
Lot: Maybe. ;) He can become quite the tank (tied for the highest Def growth in the game), but all his other stats are kinda bad. He might not be make the cut as soon as more good characters arrive.
Dorothy: Probably not. Her average stats are a bit better than Wolt's, but if Wolt has already gained a few level-ups and is doing well statwise, it's probably better to just keep him. However, you'll recruit a nomad in this very chapter (and another one in the not too distant future). Both of them are probably better than both archers, if only because of their better mobility. Sue (the one you'll get this chapter) might struggle with her Str growth, but she's going to be an amazing dodge tank.
Bors: Ehh.... The problem is that he uses the same promotion item as Alance and they make much better use of them. Unless you really want an armor knight on your team, I'd drop him at some point, especially there's not much he can do that Allen or Lance wouldn't be able to do just as well. His low movement may or may not be an issue, depending on your playstyle.
Wendy: Nope. Wendy is horribly underleveled, joins just before you enter Axe Land and even though her growth rates are quite good, she'll hardly catch up to Bors' stats, even if she manages to get to the same level. Her base stats are just that bad - much worse than Roy's were in chapter 1.
Barth: Also nope. His HP and defense might be amazing, but I think he's so slow that he'll even get doubled regularly on normal mode, negating that advantage. He (and Wendy) also have the same problem as Bors - promoting one of them would delay promoting your cavaliers.

Any other tips and advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.

The empty rooms (the ones with stairs) in chapter 6 will spawn reinforcements, so be careful not to leave your squishy units in range of them

As soon as all of your units moved to the northern part of the map (not sure where exactly the border is), you'll have reinforcements spawn at your starting location, so you can prevent or delay them by leaving a single unit in the southern part.

Cath will appear at some point in the SE of the map. Make sure to talk to her with Roy (and maybe let Chad steal her lockpicks), but to recruit her, Roy will have to talk to her three times. She won't attack anyone (and I think after Roy talks to her, she doesn't even go for treasure), so just ignore her afterwards.

^Ok, got it.

Yeah I might just use Lot and bench Ward. Ward hasn't done much in chapter 6(which I have completed), besides killing two soldiers. It's amazing how he can fight so good against Knights though, even doubling them, but he is almost guaranteed to take damage from almost everything else.

Dorothy is only two levels away from Wolt so I might just use her, unless the RNG goddess messes her up. As for Bors, he ain't half bad, and is only one level away from some of my units. He's great at baiting enemies, and he even doubles occasionally. So I may just want to have him around, mainly for baiting.

I've talked to Cath(who had been randomly running around the whole chapter with no worry), and stole both her lock-picks and vulneraries.

Also I got Sue and she already started doubling enemies, even at level one. I am so going to use her.

As for my progress:

Allan and Lance are seriously so powerful. Best Cain and Abel duo I've got to use. Also had them support each other, so that may be half the reason they're so strong. Thany and Lugh are doing awesomely and Chad has been amazing so far. As for Roy, he does fine, but I wish he doubles more often. Wolt was good too, but I hadn't got to use him much this chapter. My healers did good too, especially Saul for having a good first level up.

That's about it.

I think I'll keep giving a progress report every now and then, so you guys can give me tips or advice on which characters I should bench or which characters I could make stronger.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

Ch7 is probably the hardest in the game. Afaik, it's not quite as urgent on normal difficulty, but you'll want to recruit the new characters as soon as possible. If you use rescue->take->drop on turn 1 to get Roy a bit further to to NE than he normally would be able to go, you can clear a path for him to get the recruit train going immediately on turn 2 (the characters can recruit one another as soon as you got one of them).

Other than that, be careful around the wyvern and the reinforcements from the starting location and you should be fine.

Ch8 is easier, but it's a looong march to the throne. Try not to dawdle too much, there will be thieves stealing your chests. You can bait them into coming towards you by leaving at least one chest unopened in the treasure chamber. Just make sure not to block their path, don't even stand inside the eastern door, or they'll go for the treasure behind the throne room and be a general pain in the ass.

Saving Lilina is the only requirement to go to the first gaiden chapter, so no time limit yet. It's pretty easy as long as you keep track of the archer's attack range.

Yo I'm in a similar situation, actually up to Chapter 7 myself and playing the game for the first time lol.

Anyone mind if I leech off this topic for advice (specifically I'm wondering what the necessary conditions for the legendary weapons are), or should I make my own topic?

EDIT: Actually I'd like to know if early healer promotion is better than sticking it out to 20. I currently have Elen as my primary/most biased healer, giving her healer exp whenever possible, and TBH flat-out forgot to be training Clarine, ahahaha... ;; Is Clarine still salvagable at level 1 from chapter 7 on, or should I just commit to ditching her? And then wondering if I should promote Elen ASAP or try to get her to 20 before promotion.

If it makes a difference, for the most part I'll be attempting to use as many FE7 kids as possible lol. Plus maybe a few I like like Milady and sophia (is 2 shamans and mages a bad idea lol... probably, but... ehhh... I'll probably wind up choosing one or the other)

Edited by BANRYU

^I personally think promoting units, even healers, at level 20 is better. But then again, I only did promotion at level 20 in Sacred Stones, so I'm not sure about this one.

However I still haven't got any healer promotion item, so your Ellen might just reach level 20 soon. As for Clarine, you could give her an angelic robe to increase her HP(if you still have it) so she can survive in ch 7.

Anyways, for my progress report:

I've made it to ch 8. I liked chapter 7, it wasn't too hard. The only time it got hard was when I left Chad to steal treasure from the locked room..only to get attacked by reinforcements(that come behind the boss of the chapter). Good thing Zelot reached in time to save him.

About the new units the came in the chapter, well Zelot is a prepromote and does good enough in defeating enemies. Noah is fine, nothing special. Trec however, was at level 4. And he barely could do good. He was utter useless in the arena, but I was able to get him to level 8.

Also, a weird thing I noticed. Whenever Bors fights an enemy in the arena, said enemy has silver weapons, whereas Bors is left with an iron lance. He gets rekt because of this

Any advice or tips, feel free to tell.

Chapter 7 was pretty easy lol. If it's honestly the hardest in the game then I'm more than ready to steamroll the rest hahaha.

I managed to get Clarine up to level 5, Elen to 15, and all my combat units to level 10 (going with Lance and Noah for cavaliers, opting to ditch Treck, paladins were softeners / visitbots lol). Got Rutger's hero seal but tryna wait to use it until he at least maxes speed and skill. Depending on how things go with Clarine, I might HAVE to early promote her haha...

So... are there no Monks in Roy's game? I heard there are no Assassins, but I guess it's possible Monks didn't get added yet either.

Edited by BANRYU

Saul and Elen both use light magic when they promote and Saul tends to have great level ups for me and ends up being a great attacker but Elen can do the same thing. But no there are not any monk class units in the game.

Yeah, no monks. Therefore, I assume light magic tomes come late in the game?

Also yeah Saul has been getting better level ups for me.

Progress report:

Ch8:

It's amusing to see some random theif, that's not Cath, open the door to where Lilina is. He basically allowed me to let Lilina escape, yet I returned the favor with Lugh burning him.

Astohl is a nice theif to have. It basically means I can open chests quicker, if I bring another thief to a map.

Also this is the map where we gain Barth the serious and Wendy the awful, with Oujay, that random mercernary. Barth was strong in the map, but I don't really like him much. Oujay was fine enough of a unit, but he comes at level three. Nothing too special. He got rekt by archers multiple times though. Then there was Wendy, who is considered to be the worst FE unit ever. I used her, and she was able to fight( dodging and doubling.nice I must say). She did get rekt by archers like Oujay and her accuracy with the javelin sucks. Still, I made her fight a mage and she won, and I also gave her Barth's Steel Lance so she could fight the armor knights.

Her first level was impressive( one increase each in HP, Skill, Spd and Strength). Her second level up sucked(one point in defense and HP). I kinda wanna use her, but I might bench her if she sucks too much

Lilina, on the other hand, does well. Her only problem is her low HP, being 16, so she needs to attack from a distance, and with Fire too for better accuracy. Her level ups were nice.

That's about it. Question time: Should I bother with Astohl and Barth? Should I also bother with Oujay? Thanks in advance!

You get a light tome right around the time you would get either Saul or Elen to cap a few stats and want to promote them. As to Astohl he is decent but I tend to only use him when the chapter has chests or enemies with items to steal and I want to go through faster than with just Chad. I haven't used Barth in any of my playthoughs yet because I like units that have good movement and the one time I thought about using him Bors had much better stats. I think Oujay is usable but normally by the time you get him Dieck is so much farther along that most people don't bother with him.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Asthol is useful for chests even if you don't intend to train him (And is good for stealing if you do), while Barth is the Thwomp knight similar to Arden or Wallace. Oujay can be a pain to train, but he's a merc and so is usable. Not like Dieck though.

Wendy is difficult to train, but you've been alright so far. Unfortunately, the Western Isles are next (i.e. SO MANY AXES), and so it's going to be harder to train her. Also, Lilina can be low on speed, so that can rule against her.

Since we seem to be playing cocurrently, (I just beat ch 8 as well lol) I may as well share what/how I've been doing lol.

So the 'main squad' for me currently consists of Rutger, Deke, Shanna/Thany, Sue, Lugh, Lot, Elen, and Lance, with Noah, Clarine, and Wolt on the side (Sue is my currently preferred archer and I might wanna use one of the snipers who comes later so letting Wolt kinda slowly fall by the wayside; gonna attempt Clarine but not counting on it too much; and Noah, though he's level 11, has been getting crappy growths so I'll likely as soon ditch him lol).

Since I'm already planning on using Sophia (dragons and half/dragons are obligatory for me lol), I decided not to bother with Wendy or the others who join in this chapter aside from Lilina, who managed to scrape a boss kill and is currently level 5. Gonna try to grind her up in 8x.

I WAS training Chad up and he was getting some pretty darn good growths, and then I found out thieves can't promote. Lol. oh well.

Also, Wade died for me. Wasn't using him much anyway and it would have meant replaying a lot so I let him.

Her [Wendy's] first level was impressive( one increase each in HP, Skill, Spd and Strength). Her second level up sucked(one point in defense and HP). I kinda wanna use her, but I might bench her if she sucks too much

Keep in mind that her base stats are pretty low even for her level. She actually need her good growth rates to kick in or she wont even catch up to your other units.

Also, a weird thing I noticed. Whenever Bors fights an enemy in the arena, said enemy has silver weapons, whereas Bors is left with an iron lance. He gets rekt because of this

The enemies' weapons are based on the Def stat of your unit, so fighting in the arena is a lot harder for tanks than it is for dodgy units.

@promoting healers: Their advanced classes have increased EXP gain compared to other promoted units. Because of that, I'd actually promote as soon as you have a Guiding Ring to spare, even though the staff EXP gets cut in half. But the combat EXP they earn should more than make up for it and since you probably won't reach level 20 promoted (you certainly don't need to reach it to beat the final chapters) you don't really lose anything of value if you early-promote.

The enemies' weapons are based on the Def stat of your unit, so fighting in the arena is a lot harder for tanks than it is for dodgy units.

I can attest to this, both Sue and Rutger probably had the easiest time getting levels in the arena while I was grinding on ch7.

EDIT: Can anyone list the Legendary Weapon paralogues and the conditions for unlocking them (besides 8x)? That'd be a big help, I think

Edited by BANRYU

My Wendy has been doing good so far, actually. Her strength is the only thing lacking , but I was able to get her to level 8(by boss abuse in ch8, cuz Lilina was also pretty squishy). She was also able to double attacks by axe fighters in ch8x, but she still got hit. I still have to go through ch9, and if the axe fighters are too strong, then Wendy will get totally rekt( unless her speed impresses me, which I hope she does). Although it does suck that her base stats are too low, because level one Wendy was really sucky( losing more health than Bors against an archer is not good at all)

Oujay has been doing well too, and since the Western Isles are coming, he might get lots of easy level ups)

Anyways, progress report:

Ch8x:

Lilina survived so I was able to get to this gaiden level. Random thief shall forever be remembered for freeing Lilina, may he rest in piece.

Okay, so who the heck has a bandit base in a cave where lava literally explodes at various tiles. And it's likely too hot in there. This map had a lot of axe fighters(like srsly, you guys weren't kidding of how Axes were gonna swing at my face), and I'm not even at the Western Isles yet. You know, considering Oujay being level 3 at joining time, the whole of 8x was like his training grounds. Then again, I was able to get him to level 7. Wendy and Lilina did well, and while I'm sure Lilina will do awesomely, I'm skepticle about Wendy, cuz if the axe fighters and pirates are too strong in Ch9, then it'll be hard to train her.

Also all my healers are at the same level. 8x was easier than ch8. Even the boss, while being a dodgy Hero, was easily beatable.

So, now my questions:

Should I use a guiding ring on,

1)Ellen,

2)Saul,

3)Clarine,

4)or Lugh?

They all are doing good statwise(mag is just needed). Also, should I promote Lugh at level 20 in his case?

Should Thany be also promoted at level 20?

Thanks for any further tips and suggestions.

A bit of advice for ch9 would be good too!

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Thank you!

Man... I just started Ch 9. Fir almost got killed on EP, and THEN I find out you have to drag Noah's sorry useless butt along to recruit her.

You don't even get the slightest hint that you should bring Noah until AFTER you already start the chapter and see her talking to Shin, so WTF. Why is this game so player-hostile??

Thank you!

Man... I just started Ch 9. Fir almost got killed on EP, and THEN I find out you have to drag Noah's sorry useless butt along to recruit her.

You don't even get the slightest hint that you should bring Noah until AFTER you already start the chapter and see her talking to Shin, so WTF. Why is this game so player-hostile??

Is it really that hostile because it shows you right after the start of the chapter. Resetting is as easy as 1,2,3.

Plus Noah isn't useless, especially on Normal Mode, you could probably make the argument on Hard Mode but, his bases are ok enough.

Edited by Jedi

Is it really that hostile because it shows you right after the start of the chapter. Resetting is as easy as 1,2,3.

Plus Noah isn't useless, especially on Normal Mode, you could probably make the argument on Hard Mode but, his bases are ok enough.

For me he's useless because he's getting nearly nothing on his levelups lol. I gave him a shot and he's lettin' me down. I'll make it work tho -shrug-

IDK, I just think that any chapter where you HAVE to restart, early or no, just isn't well-designed lol. This game already has issues with units being too strong or too weak all over the place, and now... this... lol...

And god forbid you decide not to use Sue for Shin (luckily I did, but... still). So... that's 2 possible reasons to need to restart the chapter, lol.

That's pretty indefensible, IMO.

The game is pretty bad at telling you who to bring in general, though. I think they might have seen recruitable enemies as a optional bonus and not something you're able to do everytime.

Anyway, there's a small route split coming up depending on the villages in the NE of chapter9. If you visit the right-most village, you'll be able to recruit Bartre and Elphin; if you visit the left village (or neither), you'll get Echidna and Lalum.

Lalum and Elphin are dancers, so their stats don't matter (iirc, Lalum is slightly more dodgy and Elphin slightly less squishy), but Echidna (a hero) is quite a bit better than Bartre. Another character gets a lot better if you choose the Lalum route, too - lower base level, but identical base stats.

Regardless which route you choose: Field Lilina in Ch.10. You can probably guess why. =)

The game is pretty bad at telling you who to bring in general, though. I think they might have seen recruitable enemies as a optional bonus and not something you're able to do everytime.

Anyway, there's a small route split coming up depending on the villages in the NE of chapter9. If you visit the right-most village, you'll be able to recruit Bartre and Elphin; if you visit the left village (or neither), you'll get Echidna and Lalum.

Lalum and Elphin are dancers, so their stats don't matter (iirc, Lalum is slightly more dodgy and Elphin slightly less squishy), but Echidna (a hero) is quite a bit better than Bartre. Another character gets a lot better if you choose the Lalum route, too - lower base level, but identical base stats.

Regardless which route you choose: Field Lilina in Ch.10. You can probably guess why. =)

Ah, much appreciated, I was actually going to ask for split-route suggestions next. Thanks!

Ahhh, tough call. On the one hand, GBA lady-hero sounds awesome, but I also habitually don't use prepromotes, so... hmm... From what I've heard she might be worth breaking that rule though. It'd be nice to see Bartre again too though, and I feel like I'd like Elphin better than Lalum lol. He sounds cool.

Welp, I've got some indecision to grapple with ~____~

You don't get anything else for visiting those villages, I'm assuming? And also guessing it's impossible to get both?

Edited by BANRYU