Tellius Recollection (Vol 2) Translation / Discussion Thread

Kirokan

1 hour ago, Luchi said:

I'll just put this out here: If Elincia was willing to sacrifice her beloved milk sibling for the good of her country, what makes a person think she will leave her country/abandon/elope after being confronted with such a difficult decision? She clearly did not want to sacrifice Lucia ( as see by the post-Execution scene where she literally collapses to her knees) but did because it was her duty. The Crimean Civil War didn't just strengthen Elincia's bonds with her retainers, but forced her to grow unto the character most of us know and love.

Yeah, but this was before she knew Renning was alive and could be cured/healed. Elincia knew at this point that she could trust no one but herself on the throne, no matter how much she didn't want to be queen. She had no choice but to do the right thing for the country and sacrifice Lucia. If Renning WAS around...we might see a different scenario. Elincia goes to save Lucia while Renning deals with Ludveck.

And yeah, again, NO ONE is saying she'll leave or elope forever. Truth be told, though, I wish I'd written my fic a bit differently now, where Elincia didn't actually leave the throne, but only temporarily traveled with Ike across the ocean to help him and create relations with the newly discovered countries. And once the war Ike was hired to fight in there ended, he and Elincia go back to Crimea and wed. But the story's gone on so long now that it would take a LONG time to implement the changes. Also, I'd have to change an entire arc of the sequel's storyboard. xP

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Also, I'm kind of tired of people thinking that Elincia would abandon Crimea if she left her throne and criticize such an idea, and yet they don't complain about who really DID abandon Crimea: Ike. THAT was not in his character, which established his values of family and looking after the Greil Mercs for his dad, and yet all of a sudden, poof, he's disappeared forever, just like that.

Elincia abandoning Crimea and Ike abandoning Crimea are two very different things. Elincia had a much larger duty to Crimea than Ike did. He may have been a general, but he was a mercenary first. Ike had no obligation or duty to Crimea whatsoever. Elincia did.

Furthermore, to say Ike abandoned Crimea isn't exactly true. Ike never wanted to be the general/hero in the first place and was pretty much forced into the position. You can see this when Sanaki names him general and when Elincia grants him a lordship. However, when the wars came, he DID fight. He DID lead. Ike NEVER abandoned Crimea in her time of need.

However, that was not what HE wanted. It was also established that Ike never wanted the reputation or the high position that came with playing pivotal roles in the wars. And by the end of RD, he no doubt had both. I have always felt that he left in order to escape that. 

It should also be noted that his paired endings (Soren and Ranulf) are two people who care relatively little for status. They never raise Ike onto a pedestal for his achievements, like Elincia and the laguz royals. That is rather telling. 

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but this was before she knew Renning was alive and could be cured/healed. 

If Elincia were to renounce her throne at the end of RD, it would completely destroy her entire development in part 2. 

What would be the point in her learning to accept her duty (and all that comes with it) if she just up and renounces at the end of the game? 

3 minutes ago, NJ7009 said:

Elincia abandoning Crimea and Ike abandoning Crimea are two very different things. Elincia had a much larger duty to Crimea than Ike did. He may have been a general, but he was a mercenary first. Ike had no obligation or duty to Crimea whatsoever. Elincia did.

Furthermore, to say Ike abandoned Crimea isn't exactly true. Ike never wanted to be the general/hero in the first place and was pretty much forced into the position. You can see this when Sanaki names him general and when Elincia grants him a lordship. However, when the wars came, he DID fight. He DID lead. Ike NEVER abandoned Crimea in her time of need.

However, that was not what HE wanted. It was also established that Ike never wanted the reputation or the high position that came with playing pivotal roles in the wars. And by the end of RD, he no doubt had both. I have always felt that he left in order to escape that. 

It should also be noted that his paired endings (Soren and Ranulf) are two people who care relatively little for status. They never raise Ike onto a pedestal for his achievements, like Elincia and the laguz royals. That is rather telling. 

If Elincia were to renounce her throne at the end of RD, it would completely destroy her entire development in part 2. 

What would be the point in her learning to accept her duty (and all that comes with it) if she just up and renounces at the end of the game? 

That's completely beside the point. It's still completely out of character for Ike to abandon all his family and friends in Crimea like that, especially if it's oh so out of character for Elincia to renounce the throne.

I never really interpreted her as ever truly accepting her duty, honestly. And I disagree that any development she got in part 2 would be destroyed. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Anacybele

38 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That's completely beside the point. It's still completely out of character for Ike to abandon all his family and friends in Crimea like that, especially if it's oh so out of character for Elincia to renounce the throne.

I never really interpreted her as ever truly accepting her duty, honestly. And I disagree that any development she got in part 2 would be destroyed. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ike leaving is not abandonment. I'm sure Ike did not make the decision to leave lightly. However, Tellius was no longer at war and his job was done. Ike cared deeply for the people he knew - I'm not doubting that - but I do think that his decision to leave was one he had to make for his own happiness. Furthermore, while he was never 'seen' again, that doesn't mean he completely cut off contact with the people of Tellius. His situation reminds me a lot of the modern day issue of immigrating to a new country. Just because he was not around doesn't mean he had entirely left Tellius behind and ceased to care for everyone he knew. However, Ike (as presented in the games) could not endure the status and be happy. To expect him to endure it for his entire lifetime - after he had sacrificed so much to the wars - is unfair.  

The reason Elincia renouncing is considered 'out of character' is because the underlying plotline of PoR for Elincia is regain the throne and and lead the Crimean people. That is what PoR spends the entire game working toward. If she renounced, after all that, all that work is lost. If she renounced, all that development where she learned to accept her lot in life goes down the drain. 

You might argue that she never truly accepted her duty but I would disagree. Whether she WANTED her duty is something else. However, Elincia is very much a character who would put aside her own wants for the betterment of her country. Hence, why she chose to let Lucia die. 

But that brings us back to whether she or Renning would be a better ruler. Honestly, I don't think there would be much of a difference in skill between them. I actually think Elincia might be the better of the two (since she actually has experience as a ruler and is younger - granting her time to grow). But even if they were simply of equal skill, Elincia abandoning the throne would only confuse and scare the Crimean people, which is something she would definitely want to avoid. I don't think she would renounce unless if she felt she was truly awful at her job.

Which, while she does think this at the beginning of Part 2, her arc was basically her growing out of that thinking.

But, I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, NJ7009 said:

Ike leaving is not abandonment. I'm sure Ike did not make the decision to leave lightly. However, Tellius was no longer at war and his job was done. Ike cared deeply for the people he knew - I'm not doubting that - but I do think that his decision to leave was one he had to make for his own happiness.

Pure speculation, though, as none of this is confirmed. Ike's job isn't necessarily "done" either, as he's a mercenary, not truly a general or anything. I'm pretty sure he still took jobs between PoR and RD when there was no war. And we don't get even a speck of a reason why Ike left. And Ike leaving WAS abandonment since he was never seen again and thus never came back. He threw away everything he had, everything he valued, everything he cared for. This ending for him seems to be generally disliked for this reason. What I hate most about it is how it affects Mist. She said more than once that she wanted Ike and her to remain together. But he LEFT HER. This is the one and only thing I genuinely dislike about Ike, because of course, I otherwise fangirl over him.

9 minutes ago, NJ7009 said:

Elincia abandoning the throne would only confuse and scare the Crimean people, which is something she would definitely want to avoid. I don't think she would renounce unless if she felt she was truly awful at her job.

Which is exactly what I wrote (though with revisions later to make it clearer). She was becoming an emotional trainwreck from stress over multiple things (feeling like she wasn't doing her duties well enough thanks to that almost-civil war and stuff, being in love with a man whom she seemingly couldn't have because HE LEFT, etc) and she felt it was severely harming her ability to rule. The Crimean people were confused and scared for a little while after she left too (though this is emphasized in a side thing).

But yes, agree to disagree. Everybody has their own opinions and interpretations and all and respectfully so. This was an interesting conversation.

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, NJ7009 said:

The reason Elincia renouncing is considered 'out of character' is because the underlying plotline of PoR for Elincia is regain the throne and and lead the Crimean people. That is what PoR spends the entire game working toward. If she renounced, after all that, all that work is lost. If she renounced, all that development where she learned to accept her lot in life goes down the drain.

I think of it like Cincinnatus with character development. She reclaims the throne from invaders, stops the internal rebellion, grows from scared girl to confident woman, and finally, after the realm is safe and the option for a suitable inheritor (the ONLY possible inheritor really) presents itself, she gives away her throne out of humility, respect, following her heart, what have you. Even with an ulterior motive of doing something else for her own sake (since I imagine this would only occur in the context of an A-ranked support that conflicts with her position), it takes a lot of character to just say no to that kind of power. That's why I don't see it as derailment, at least if she makes that decision with 100% confidence that she's doing the right thing. And I think the Crimean people would respect and admire that from her. Their faith in both her and Renning makes accepting such a decision entirely believable.

As for Ike, I can only deduce that IS was thinking along the lines of cowboys or other wandering heroes who vanish after saving the day, their main task done. It still assumes Tellius would never know strife or conflict or war again and for Ike to consider that unacceptable. And takes a dump on his traveling family that we're constantly shown to be truly inseperable (and who apparently still doesn't disband in every other GM ending). And comes out of nowhere with no room for follow-up or clarification. Might as well have just said "Ike died of illness 6 months later, BUT LEGENDS NEVER TRULY DIE. The end."

(yeah, I don't like the Ike ending much)

27 minutes ago, a bear said:

I think of it like Cincinnatus with character development. She reclaims the throne from invaders, stops the internal rebellion, grows from scared girl to confident woman, and finally, after the realm is safe and the option for a suitable inheritor (the ONLY possible inheritor really) presents itself, she gives away her throne out of humility, respect, following her heart, what have you. Even with an ulterior motive of doing something else for her own sake (since I imagine this would only occur in the context of an A-ranked support that conflicts with her position), it takes a lot of character to just say no to that kind of power. That's why I don't see it as derailment, at least if she makes that decision with 100% confidence that she's doing the right thing. And I think the Crimean people would respect and admire that from her. Their faith in both her and Renning makes accepting such a decision entirely believable.

As for Ike, I can only deduce that IS was thinking along the lines of cowboys or other wandering heroes who vanish after saving the day, their main task done. It still assumes Tellius would never know strife or conflict or war again and for Ike to consider that unacceptable. And takes a dump on his traveling family that we're constantly shown to be truly inseperable (and who apparently still doesn't disband in every other GM ending). And comes out of nowhere with no room for follow-up or clarification. Might as well have just said "Ike died of illness 6 months later, BUT LEGENDS NEVER TRULY DIE. The end."

(yeah, I don't like the Ike ending much)

Yeah, this is basically my mindset too. I'm glad I'm not alone here!

While I hate Ike's ending too, I don't necessarily have a problem with that kind of ending in general. I just don't think it fits Ike at all.

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Soul~! said:

I like how Tellius actually has valid-looking character ages, with very few exceptions (around Micaiah & Mordecai; Kyza just looks like a tall buff dude).

I can believe Micaiah looking like a 15~ years old girl... the other two guys I have to agree xDU

4 hours ago, Troykv said:

I can believe Micaiah looking like a 15~ years old girl... the other two guys I have to agree xDU

I meant Kyza can seem feasible. His face isn't all that adult-looking, and buff teens are a thing. Mordecai, don't think so. On Micaiah, I always struggled to see her as anything but a young adult, rather than a mid-teen girl (especially compared to Sanaki, who looks 15 in my eyes).

9 hours ago, Luchi said:

Ike looks older than 20 though, lol. Looks closer to 24-25 to me. Guess he'll age horribly like his old man then lose his fangirls. xD

I agree with this too, actually. lol Ike aged like crazy between PoR and RD, though maybe due to both a possible growth spurt and diet, and his training. He gained a good bit of muscle, and he's definitely taller by a couple inches at least. Mist even points out that he and Boyd grew like beanstalks. Sometimes in real life, this occurs with men too, so it's actually realistic. Studies showed that men generally don't stop growing until 21. Women grow until about 18. Which is why female humans are typically smaller. And going back to diet, what you eat can actually affect how you age too. All that meat might've been a factor for Ike!

I don't think Greil aged badly though. He isn't the most handsome dude to me, but he's not the ugliest by far. So Ike can definitely keep his hotness. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Compare Ike, Boyd, Mia, Jill, and all the other Tellius young adults with actual athletes in high school and college. They done good.

Especially impressive considering how often every writer under the sun seems to completely BS a character's age/height/weight. Little Mac is 17, 5'7", 107 lbs., and has the same body as a shorter RD Ike. The height's fine, at least.

Just wondering aloud- why doesn't Renning have his own kids? It does not do the Crimean royal family any favors to have so few progeny from the main line. Elincia better be fertile.

In another belated Crimean thought:

C26 PoR

Lucia
The princess's great-grandmother was a Begnion pegasus knight of some renown before marrying into House Crimea.

I bring up that mostly for two reasons. One, it appears Pegasus are incredibly long lived, seeing how Elincia's was originally her great-grandmother's. (Awakening, for what little world building it does, does suggest wyverns are similarly long-lived.)

Two, it brings up intermarriage between Crimean royalty and Begnion nobility (I can't see the Apostle's exalted line, except via a cadet branch, marrying foreign royalty). I wonder if Elincia is actually more Begionite by ethnicity than Crimean (if such a thing as ethnicity exists in Tellius)? I mean an Imperial Senator founded Crimea, so it wouldn't be surprising (and history is loaded with similar instances). It is just a little strange to think our fair Heart of Crimea is actually not Crimean by her blood.

48 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just wondering aloud- why doesn't Renning have his own kids? It does not do the Crimean royal family any favors to have so few progeny from the main line. Elincia better be fertile.

In another belated Crimean thought:

C26 PoR

Lucia
The princess's great-grandmother was a Begnion pegasus knight of some renown before marrying into House Crimea.

I bring up that mostly for two reasons. One, it appears Pegasus are incredibly long lived, seeing how Elincia's was originally her great-grandmother's. (Awakening, for what little world building it does, does suggest wyverns are similarly long-lived.)

Two, it brings up intermarriage between Crimean royalty and Begnion nobility (I can't see the Apostle's exalted line, except via a cadet branch, marrying foreign royalty). I wonder if Elincia is actually more Begionite by ethnicity than Crimean (if such a thing as ethnicity exists in Tellius)? I mean an Imperial Senator founded Crimea, so it wouldn't be surprising (and history is loaded with similar instances). It is just a little strange to think our fair Heart of Crimea is actually not Crimean by her blood.

Considering that Crimea and Daein were both originally part of Begnion before becoming independent, of course Elincia and her family are theoretically of Begnion descent. xP

Nothing too interesting here. Tanith is little old looking for 27, and Haar looks like he'd be in his forties too, but such is Japanese popular media. I do notice it says Haar likes visiting other members of the Fizzart family. Jill has living family? I'd have loved a playable cousin Zeiss- can't get enough dracoknights in RD.

I do like how, as seen it the Tanith profile you just translated Kirokan, IS made it canon that everyone A ranked everyone they had a support with, or at least several of them. Plus, reading through the PoR supports, it's interesting how IS picked up where many of the support chains left off or derived something from them (like Sothe-Tormod mentioning Micaiah and Muarim as being their parent figures, and then big sis Miccy and big bro Mua get their own parent-parent talk in RD). 

Oh what a shame supports had to be neutered in RD. Imagine the explosion of new supports between characters new and old, and the furthering of old relationships!

Haar! That's my guy. Wow, he's meant to be 37? I knew he was one of the older beorc characters in the series, but wow. I took him for early 30s at the oldest!

He's almost as old as Renning, lol.

Although, uh...

Although he and Jill, Shiharam's daughter, deliver packages together, Haar takes on a role more akin to that of a guardian to his teacher's daughter rather than any romantic bond.

coughcough

So wait. They married just...to be married, with no romantic feelings attached in their maxed-out support at the end of Radiant Dawn, then? I'm confused... what's the pont of that? Was the marriage in both versions of the game, or was it added in the localization?

Not that I want them to be romantic in the first place, since the age thing does kind of skeeve me out, and I far prefer platonic Mentor!Haar and Student!Jill. Just...the book itself calls them platonic! It must be true! ._.

On a side note, hold on... Haar and Sigrun were friends?! Since when? o.o

I do like Marcia quite a bit though. Poor thing is eternally saddled with trying to look after her layabout brother, but manages to remain upbeat despite it all.

Edited by Extrasolar

Haha, I have to admit, I found that detail amusing.

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

Was the marriage in both versions of the game, or was it added in the localization?

I'd certainly be curious on this as well. Either way, someone certainly changed his/her mind.

2 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Remember that Haar is originally from Begnion. In PoR, I remember Haar mentioning an old friend in Begnion after the battle with Shiharam.

So I went and confirmed, it's implied in an otherwise subtle way;

Daein Soldier
Captain Haar... What are we supposed to do now? General Shiharam is dead, and our homes are gone. What are we to do with our families?

Haar
What do you want to do? We've lost any right we had to stay here. So that leaves Begnion or Crimea...

Daein Soldier
General Shiharam was slain by Crimea...Joining with them now is not...It's not possible.

Haar
Then all you can do is return to Begnion. I doubt you'll get a hero's welcome, but...I've an old friend in the pegasus knights. Shall I contact her?

And Radiant Dawn pretty much confirmed that Sigrun was indeed the person that Haar was talking about.

Sigrun: If I may ask… Are you not Lord Fizzart’s daughter?
Jill: How did you know?
Sigrun: I am Sigrun of the Holy Guards. Have you not heard my name from Haar?
Jill: Yes, I remember… You were the one who negotiated to let my father’s men and their families stay in Begnion.
Sigrun: That’s right.

On 12/12/2016 at 7:15 PM, Kirokan said:

Today I did Nailah's profile and her concept art (includes Volug's too):

115 Nailah

202-203 Nailah and Volug

The main post isn't up yet, but I made some notes on word choice below:

Reveal hidden contents

Throughout the profile, words that allude to a marriage or some sort of union are used without using the word marriage/married itself. “Her beloved Rafiel” came from the word used for husbands (夫のラフィエル), and “they made intersecting vows and have been together ever since.” from 彼と契りを交わし、以降伴侶として共に行動している (roughly translates to, “made mutual pledges, and have traveled as partners since then.”) I did the safe bet and made it vague and up to interpretation just as the original text had done. However, to add to this, their character relationship page lists them as "夫婦" (romantic couple/husband and wife).

Does anyone know if they were officially a couple/husband and wife in the games? Or in the in-game relationship chart? What does it say in English?

The one Vincent posted just says "Helps"...

I feel like they were going for a sort of Ike color scheme, as he is blue and red, so blue-violet with orange or something. xD Either way, I agree Elincia's went really well!

Oh okay, sorry my translation took so long if there was an earlier one! I can only do so much at a time xD

Anyway next seems to be Sanaki. AstroknighticalFeats is doing a great job with the laguz translations so I hope to post more of his soon after I check them for errors and such.

Ahh this makes me so happy! I always wanted them to get together so the fact they apparently were the whole gills me with so much joy

Also - "Hobby: braiding Rafiels hair," my heart

On 12/12/2016 at 7:58 PM, Anacybele said:

But Rafiel and Nailah got romantic, yet they didn't even get a romantic ending together? That doesn't make sense. :/

Rafiel only goes back to Hatari if Nailah's still alive

Also the proto Astrid looks like a Rumiko Takahashi characters

Edited by Mysterique Sign

On 4/9/2017 at 11:51 AM, Extrasolar said:

Haar! That's my guy. Wow, he's meant to be 37? I knew he was one of the older beorc characters in the series, but wow. I took him for early 30s at the oldest!

He's almost as old as Renning, lol.

Although, uh...

coughcough

So wait. They married just...to be married, with no romantic feelings attached in their maxed-out support at the end of Radiant Dawn, then? I'm confused... what's the pont of that? Was the marriage in both versions of the game, or was it added in the localization?

Not that I want them to be romantic in the first place, since the age thing does kind of skeeve me out, and I far prefer platonic Mentor!Haar and Student!Jill. Just...the book itself calls them platonic! It must be true! ._.

I do like Marcia quite a bit though. Poor thing is eternally saddled with trying to look after her layabout brother, but manages to remain upbeat despite it all.

I have a feeling it is a relationship that was that way at first and then evolved to more.

However I am curious too now so will check that epilogue in Japanese and see if it's any different.

EDIT: Yep the epilogue is the same with the A support!

Edited by Kirokan

HaarxJill sounds like a forced marriage. IS just had to tack one on to what was fine as a platonic Shiharam admiration/captain-corporal relationship. Not every strongly bonded male-female duo has to wed you know.

Thankfully RD wasn't Fates or Awakening- imagine the cringeworthy S support.

Also, I just noticed Jill doesn't get a single male support in PoR other than Haar. A girl who is never placed into a romantic situation and who isn't abnormally shy or antisocial either (Jill is fairly normal)- I like that.