Tellius Recollection (Vol 2) Translation / Discussion Thread

Kirokan

Is it possible Zelgius underwent a name change after he left Begnion? I mean Gawain changed his, although he was famous, Zelgius not so much. Given what the profile says about him being pestered by aristocrats, it seem that he might have been born into a minor noble family. For only nobles appear to be worthy of the officer corps in Begnion- much as it was in even early modern Europe. Being of a low rank, certainly this was before he got the Cador title, he was but a grain of sand in an ocean of petite bluebloods whom the ruling upper crust of the aristocracy didn't pay any real attention to. Zelgius also kept his distance from others due to Branded status. Thus, when he vanished, nobody cared nor remembered him.

As for his current status, if Lehran somehow was able to create a fake genealogy from a long line of great aristocrat mages capable of fooling the presumably lineage and hierarchy obsessed Senators, and to back this up and somehow obtain a dukedom for himself, surely he could work his magic and do the same with Zelgius. 

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Kirokan said:

Yes indeed, he mentions it briefly in that flashback. I do want to go compare those scenes to what they say in Japanese someday. xD

As for Begnion to Daein to Begnion, perhaps if it was over a long period of time (due to aging differences) he may have simply outlived the people who knew him. Then again he may not be that old, so maybe he just never made a big name for himself until his return? xD

This is true - Lombroso does call him a 'has-been' and we know he'd been around for a while in his second Begnion run.

23 hours ago, Zelgius said:

This is true - Lombroso does call him a 'has-been' and we know he'd been around for a while in his second Begnion run.

Would also make sense rising to be known for his swordsmanship only after he trained with Gawain, too.

Yay, Mist and Tibarn. Sadly, no real new information in there though.

I assume Zelgius was just a no name soldier before he got trained by Gawain. Then he went back to Begnion with Seph who pretty much put Zelgius to his position as duke. The bigger question that I've always had about Lehran is how he became prime minister without him revealing he was a laguz. Someone as important as that would probably have his family record looked into by someone. He was still around at the time of the massacre but judging from the script from 4-4 he wasn't really in an important position.

Sephiran was still just some traveling sage to society at that point, right? Just after leaving Goldoa for the first time (4-E3 flashback) and meeting Misaha (4-E1). I think we're just left to assume that it probably wasn't much of an issue for two super competent dudes -- one with magic -- to obfuscate their histories in a corrupt medieval empire.

I would say it's more odd that people didn't notice either one's lack of aging after 20-23 years, but it's possible that everyone thought they just aged really, really well. Probably wouldn't buy it a few more years past RD though.

Tibarn looks older than 30, I'd say somewhere in his forties is more appropriate. But I know it's just how ages work in Japanese entertainment media: 30 = old.

I once heard someone call Tibarn a Pirates of the Caribbean reject, and even if he is, he's a damn good looking reject! Disney's loss is FE's gain for once *coughValidarcoughwheez!*. I've heard some criticize Tibarn as basically stupid and too wishy washy between wanting to kill Naesala and putting it off/being buddy buddy with him. But overall he's a decent character I'd say.

I'm just happy Mist's profile doesn't force BoydxMist on us in reference to the optional two scenes with it in RD. I much prefer RolfxMist instead.

As for the Sephiran mystery. We know Lehran spent the centuries since his Branded baby fiasco in Goldoa (4-Final-5 base convo and Kurthnaga convo on that map tell us) and even sang songs to the baby Kurthnaga- who is a little over a 100 years old I believe. Yet, Lehran only met with Kurthnaga as an infant, so either Lehran had left Goldoa sometime late in Kurthnaga's infancy (and the period of dragon infancy we don't really know), or was simply reclusive after this point. Why Lehran left Goldoa, and why in the world did Deghinsea approve of it given his close friend's prior impulsive behavior (wanting to oppose Laguz slavery, trying to commit suicide), is not known.

All we know is that somehow, Lehran got to Begnion, presumably Sienne, presumably inside Mainal Cathedral, and, I'm guessing via some form of stealth, got to Misaha and talked with her. Then, she dies after walking away from him, possibly en route to reveal her Branded status. I'm guessing Lehran didn't see her die, because you'd think the Senate would try to kill any witnesses to their murder of the Apostle so as to conceal their guilt and make blaming the Herons possible. The assassination of Misaha and the Massacre sets Lehran on his course to cleanse the world of suffering by awakening Ashera.

626 is the year of the Serenes Massacre. I'll guess it takes less than a year for Lillia Reyson's sister to die given how fragile Herons are, so the time it takes for Lehran to pass the Medallion (Which reminds me- what was Ashnard doing in Serenes the night of the Massacre? It was only then that Lehran went insane- that he could find Ashnard and have him carry out his plan in the course of one night is absurd! Plot inconsistency!) to Ashnard, and then Lillia to pass the Galdr and Medallion onto Elena who flees with Greil (and... this is confirmed by the official timeline).

Sometime before Greil's sudden departure, either before or after the Massacre and assassination, Zelgius swears fealty to Lehran.

Ike is born in Gallia, so Greil and Elena make to Gallia by 628 given he is 17 and PoR begins in 645. Soren says he was about 4 when the old sage took him from the old lady, and that two years later the sage died, so Soren being ~16, we can say Ike was ~7 (year 635) when Greil went berserk. This means Lehran had let the Medallion's location be unknown to him for about 9 years. Five years later in 640, under the guise of Sephiran, Lehran becomes the new Empress and Apostle Sanaki's Prime Minister. We might assume Lehran was still being a mysterious sage up to Elena's death, if such wandering of the world is incompatible with being a Begnion aristocrat (though Pent and Louise could do it in Elibe- and he was of the top tier rank of Mage General of all things- you'd think he'd be at court). Therefore, Sephiran's entire fake aristocrat profile and standings, that of Zelgius's new profile, operating under the aforementioned assumption, must have been concocted a mere 5 years before he became Prime Minister. If wandering is compatible with aristocracy, we our idea of when Lehran became Duke Persis, is much more vague- but I'd postulate it was after the Serenes Massacre.

My brain is a little aching from this.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

The night of the Serenes Massacre is the biggest one for me. There's a lot of weirdness in how quickly everything has to have happened for Sephiran to despair in the forest, then find Ashnard to tell him about the medallion just in time for Ashnard to fly back to Serenes mid-massacre and snag Lillia and the medallion before she escapes or gets chopped up by angry Begnion chumps. The slaying part was in one night with the fire burning for three, right?

Everything else in all of Tellius I can imagine actually fitting together in a realistic manner, but that's too much for one night outside of Hotel Dusk.

Jarod wasn't that bad a villain. A professional soldier just doing his job, probably expecting a promotion sometime in the future. He did have a temper problem- you should never lance your own soldiers in rage. Brutality aside, it isn't like he's evil for evil's sake. He's stuck with a boring job with uncaring and corrupt superiors; he might be indulgent in the sin of lust, for Aimee in prison with Micaiah suggests this, but he otherwise seems fairly puritanical. With proper oversight to curtail his excesses, he'd be a fine warrior on top of a good commander- better than than the wussy fanboy named Levail.

And to discuss Part 1 and the Senate for a moment. It seems like they didn't trust Jarod, while at the same time relying on him to subjugate the Daein uprising. Basically, Izuka was hired by the Senate (and Sephiran, but that the Senate arrested Sephiran suggests to me that Izuka never told Lekain's ilk about Sephiran talking to him). Izuka's purpose was to either destroy the uprising from within, by suggesting strategically bad/immoral actions that would cause the people of Daein to abandon Pelleas: attacking Talrega in the Spring despite flooding issues, poison the prison camp waters of Umono. Or, failing to stop the uprising, install a weak king in Daein the Senate could easily manipulate (unfortunately the form this manipulation took was the Blood Pact). No concern was made as to Jarod's fate or that of his soldiers- and he was in all likelihood not told of Izuka; had he, I daresay his rage would've led him to spear Numida through the spleen. That said the Senate was clever in hedging their bets. This retrospective analysis also serves to tone down two of Micaiah's intervention moments which make her seem overly special- had she not spoken at these occasions, Izuka would have effectively ended the uprising then and there.

Today's batch!

073 Danved

077 Sigrun

079 Stefan

I do like two things:

-Mentioning Danved serves the Royal Knights in Largo's stead, implying he would've been one if he could fight (and that Danved would not have been? xD)

-The mention of the most elite daughters of nobles for the Begnion Holy Guard. Though the word can also mean "children," considering this game still has all-female Pegasus Knights, I went with "daughters" instead.

Stefan's is straightforward, reaffirming him being Soan's descendent, but nothing new!

KIERAN. :D <3 There's my second favorite Tellius character!

I always thought he was younger than Oscar. But that lines up with the background I came up for him anyway. Kieran is one of the few Tellius characters whose background is entirely unknown. We don't get ANY details on his family or where he grew up or anything! So I had to come up with something, and part of it is that he's the youngest of three siblings. I did this to sort of mirror Oscar being the oldest of three. Though one of Kieran's siblings is a girl and the other is a guy, so unlike with Oscar's family, they're not all the same gender. Didn't have to be. :P

Edited by Anacybele

How I wish we actually got to see what Stefan's vilage looked like- how large is it and how can an abode for the Branded endure for what I imagine must have been centuries. As a side note, I've kinda felt that Grann Desert existed just to have a desert in Tellius, it doesn't make much sense to have one just plopped right in the middle of Begnion. And what is the backstory with the Vague Katti? Smithed by Soane himself after he lost his powers to be his new fang?

I pity Astrid- she refused marriage to an old bastard, but then ran headlong into amor with a hopeless sleazeball who is saved by Elincia's all too good graces alone. And as a side note, since Marcia was a member of the Holy Guard, I guess her own family is nobility in Begnion. Either they forgot about that when writing her character, or her family is petty nobility and there isn't much she's missing out on having abandoned Begnion (hope she kept in contact with her parents though).

They did go a little too far with calling Lekain an instigator of the Mad King's War. And if he was the one who really came up with the idea of the Serenes Massacre, he had to be one bold and despicable ~30 year old. I'd have thought older Senators who by seniority had authority, and are now mostly dead from the passing of time, would have been the chief architects of the Heron extinction.

1 minute ago, Zelgius said:

So Rhys joined the GMs after healing Titania? That's a cool little bit of information, was that ever mentioned before?

Yeah, their support in PoR mentions this. It's the main reason I ship them as a couple. XD

I always thought it was so amusingly ironic that Rhys is a healer that hates the sight of blood. lol He's one of my favorite healers because I think he's awesome to go out kicking butt with light magic despite being frail!

Well, that explains why Sothe has a dumb shirt. Still dumb though. xP

And they say PoR was well-received! I knew it! Even despite low sales, most of those who did play it liked it! So that's good to know. ^^

On 7/22/2017 at 10:47 AM, Anacybele said:

She's still the only female Jagen/Oifey though... I wish we'd get more of those!

You haven't played Thracia 776. There you get Eyvel who joins with capped Spd and near capped Skl, and literally cannot die for the first couple chapters (any would be fatal hit will be dodged; she can be captured, but that likely won't happen unless she's unarmed). She does have quite the dropping off in performance after the early chapters though.

Given FEs 4&5 inspired PoR and RD, I like to think that Titania partly alludes to Eyvel, particularly in both of them being the mother figures of their merry bands. Titania also has Dorias or August (Leif's NPC tacticians) influence- though which she is more like and which Soren is more like I don't know.

"I liked the animals that would be around on the map, but then was told, “This is a serious scene, take them out!” So they were removed, and I was furious."

Ha, that's quite funny. I actually started a new playthough of RD last night and one thing I seen and really appreciated was the background map animal interaction in the game, I think it was the second chapter of part 1 when you start with Nolan. At one of the final turns a Begnion soldier runs though some birds on the map, making them fly away. I always thought that was a really cool detail.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:05 PM, Zelgius said:

"I liked the animals that would be around on the map, but then was told, “This is a serious scene, take them out!” So they were removed, and I was furious."

Ha, that's quite funny. I actually started a new playthough of RD last night and one thing I seen and really appreciated was the background map animal interaction in the game, I think it was the second chapter of part 1 when you start with Nolan. At one of the final turns a Begnion soldier runs though some birds on the map, making them fly away. I always thought that was a really cool detail.

Indeed! I thought about Part 1 a lot too when it came to animal interaction. I also played the game a few months ago in preparation to translate this book, so those kind of things stuck out and were much appreciated.

Today we have...

093 Shinon