Hello!

DoctorSpectrum

Hey guys!

I've been playing a fair bit of Fire Emblem recently, and I discovered these forums, so I figured, why not join?

Fire Emblem-wise, I've played nearly all of the English-released ones. I started off with Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword, which are the ones I've played the most since they were the only ones I had available for a while, but I've since played most of the others. At the moment I'm doing the Birthright path for Fates (I've already done Conquest), as well as doing my second-ever run of Path of Radiance. I'm planning to do Revelation and Radiant Dawn after beating them respectively, natch.

I'm from Melbourne in Australia (are there any other Australians here?) and I work full-time as a PHP developer for an ISP. Other than that, I also enjoy reading, some horrible amateur writing, occasionally drawing, bicycles, jersey caramels, comic books, and tabletop RPGs.

Looking forwards to meeting you all!

I love your profile pic! Think you can link me to the full version?

Greetings, Zdravo, Aloha, etc. Welcome to the forest and enjoy your time here!

Edited by Power Master

Hello, welcome to the forums! I hope you'll enjoy it here.

The Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword are good games to start with, in my opinion. Do you intend to go further back and play the non-localized games as well?

I've seen a few Australians around here, though I myself am from the other side of the world.

Do you intend to go further back and play the non-localized games as well?

I've done Sword of Seals and whilst it wasn't bad, I found it to be a bit clunky (the percentages for stuff felt...off), and I didn't get the full ending so story-wise it ended a bit abruptly. So I'm not sure. I have a feeling that the others would be a bit dated in terms of both mechanics and gameplay, but I have read a bit more about Genealogy of the Holy War recently and it sounds pretty excellent to me.

So I'm on the fence a bit; I guess I'll see what games I'm in the mood for as I go along. Any recommendations for the non-localised ones?

I've done Sword of Seals and whilst it wasn't bad, I found it to be a bit clunky (the percentages for stuff felt...off), and I didn't get the full ending so story-wise it ended a bit abruptly. So I'm not sure. I have a feeling that the others would be a bit dated in terms of both mechanics and gameplay, but I have read a bit more about Genealogy of the Holy War recently and it sounds pretty excellent to me.

So I'm on the fence a bit; I guess I'll see what games I'm in the mood for as I go along. Any recommendations for the non-localised ones?

Genealogy of the Holy War is indeed a pretty good game with quite a few unique touches. That would be the one I'd recommend trying out.

It has a more unique feel to it than Sword of Seals, but the interface and mechanics are of course older, so it will take some time to get used to if you plan to try it out.

As far as the other old games go:

Thracia 776 is very hard, while Sword of Seals and Mystery of the Emblem are rather basic (not to mention that Mystery of the Emblem has a quite dated interface).

Gaiden is unique in many ways, but the old NES interface can be a pain to handle.

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light is very basic and its interface is even worse than Gaiden's.

They're still fun FE games, but they're old and not always easy to handle. So I think you're good with Genealogy.