Has anybody here ever lost on casual?

Alastor15243

So a discussion I was having with somebody earlier caused me to think about something.

Okay, so we all know the game is balanced with the Classic setting in mind. The maps generally aren't designed to threaten a total party wipe against you, they're designed to threaten to kill one or two units if you don't know what you're doing, and it's your decision whether to make losing any unit into a fail state or to keep playing until your army's completely gone over several chapters, or you win, or something in between.

So I thought I'd ask... has anyone actually lost while playing on Casual? Has anyone here actually seen the game over screen on a normal objective map on casual mode?

I've definitely lost on Conquest Ch 10 (where win condition is not to beat the boss but to defend tiles from capture) several times before I realized I needed to get my act together, since playing casual made me be casual. Usually I reset if I lose Corrin, so I've never gotten to the point of losing my entire party.

I'm sure it's not as difficult to fail a chapter on Casual as it would initially seem. I mean you can still be playing on Casual while on Hard or Lunatic difficulty. It's actually pretty easy to get your Corrin defeated during chapter 5, and then the battle is literally unwinnable from there since Kaze is the only one who stands a shred of a chance against the standard enemies while the boss is literally impossible to kill with anyone but Corrin (or a very lucky Ryoma, lol).

That's kind of a unique situation, though. As far as total party wipes on a regular map, I can see Conquest chapters 17, 23, 25, and the endgame as being fairly easy to get wiped out on on say, Lunatic, or even Hard.

Kotaro's insane avoid on chapter 17 is terrible. If you get unlucky and miss him enough, he could potentially wipe out every unit you have that actually has a chance at hitting him.

Chapter 23 practically demands that you have a strong tank. If they get wiped out, good luck getting past the Oboro room, and you could get screwed via Takumi RNG.

Chapter 25 is ninja hell and it's easy to get screwed there.

And endgame I hear is brutal on Lunatic. Haven't gotten that far yet on that difficulty, but hey.

Edited by Delfino

Yes. I started CQ quite arrogantly on Classic/Hard. Got my booty whooped on the infamous Ch. 10. Reluctantly lowered the difficulty to Normal/Classic. Still got my booty slapped around. Finally lowered it to Normal/Casual. Got my booty judo chopped during Ch. 19 and the endgame.

Bearing in mind that you could also lose if Corrin dies... I've lost in ways that would constitute a loss in Casual mode, but I've never actually played Casual in this game, so no, I haven't.

I most certainly have lost in Casual Awakening though, since it was my first FE game. Though more than half of those were because either my avatar or (more often) Chrom died. Would sometimes lose all my units grinding, but I'd try to make sure that wouldn't happen too often after a while.

So many times! Especially since a Corrin death still gets you a game over. I often play recklessly if I'm playing DLC/grinding/building supports.

Corrin death on casual mode does not give you a game over, though; chapter 5 is the only exception to this.

and Chapter 2, but you'll only lose that if you try to.

Me, personally... I have lost a couple of times, granted, one of them was on Conquest, on that chapter that you go to Valla and meet grandpa Jagen, and another was Revelation with THAT SODDING TELEPORTATION.

Bearing in mind that you could also lose if Corrin dies... I've lost in ways that would constitute a loss in Casual mode, but I've never actually played Casual in this game, so no, I haven't.

I most certainly have lost in Casual Awakening though, since it was my first FE game. Though more than half of those were because either my avatar or (more often) Chrom died. Would sometimes lose all my units grinding, but I'd try to make sure that wouldn't happen too often after a while.

I hear you can only lose on casual in Fates when Corrin is defeated in chapter 5, and any other time their defeat is just like any other unit.

Edited by Alastor15243

Corrin death on casual mode does not give you a game over, though; chapter 5 is the only exception to this.

I was wondering if this was the case after I'd posted last night... it's been a while since I played on casual and had Corrin die. My memory is faulty (although yes, Chapter 5 was where I failed quite a bit).

This is on Hard:

Chapter 4/5 before the choice.

Not once on Birthright.

Chapter 21 on Conquest. Chapter 10/12/18 were close calls. Seigbert's Chapter was also a close call, as well as Ignatius'.

Chapter 19 on Revelation, only because I've missed read the mission objective as two separate objectives instead of escape or defeat boss within 20 turns.

I hear you can only lose on casual in Fates when Corrin is defeated in chapter 5, and any other time their defeat is just like any other unit.

Well then, there's your proof that I've never played Casual in Fates; I would have no clue. I remember that either an avatar or Chrom death meant game over in Awakening, and I just assumed this rule carried over. Though I actually have lost Corrin on Chapter 5, so... I'm still kind of right, regardless.

I get really bored playing on Casual, so I've never bothered with it since starting Fates. I suppose at some point, I'll do Casual or Phoenix for the purposes of creating a crazy powerful squad, but that time isn't now.

Did not know that Corrin dying in casual didn't game over you. Wow. I should totally play casual. It sounds better than I thought.

I was surprised too when it happened to Belinda back during the July Japanese release.

Did not know that Corrin dying in casual didn't game over you. Wow. I should totally play casual. It sounds better than I thought.

Battle saves are more than worth it IMO. Kinda wish it wasn't a casual-only thing.

Now that I think about it, perhaps because Corrin dying on casual doesn't result in game over is the reason you can seize wih any unit.

Making Seize possible with any unit made seize maps nearly identical to kill boss maps, I'm actually a little disappointed with that.

Making Seize possible with any unit made seize maps nearly identical to kill boss maps, I'm actually a little disappointed with that.

Depends on the context. Some of them can be, while others can play out very differently (see Chapter 20 Conquest).

Lost on one of the DLCs... Don't remember which...

Also lost on that one chapter in Conquest where you're fleeing from the Faceless up a mountain... Although it technically was not a loss, b/c some of my units had escaped, so the game counted it as a win...

Lost on one of the DLCs... Don't remember which...

Also lost on that one chapter in Conquest where you're fleeing from the Faceless up a mountain... Although it technically was not a loss, b/c some of my units had escaped, so the game counted it as a win...

. . .this is brilliant. If I ever have to do a casual Conquest draft, I'm exploiting this. Wonder if this would work on Chapter 15 as well (have one person escape and kill the rest or something).

Typically when I play Casual mode, I add a rule of my own. If three people or Corrin/ Robin dies, then I lose and have to restart. I find this helps with hard chapters, like in Conquest, and I almost make it to the end but then someone dies.