Is it Just Me, or is Kana kinda Mediocre?

CooledEvergreen

So I've experienced a variety of Kanas, from Saizo!Kana, Leo!Kana, Shiro!Kana and Kaden!Kana, and in the cases where Kana has had a sibling, I always feel the sibling always overshadows Kana.

For example, in my Revelations file, I've married Kaden with a +Str -Luck Corrin. Here are Selkie's and Kana's stats:

[spoiler=Kana]o4cf3r0.jpg

[spoiler=Selkie]8cDtmVl.jpg

They're the same level (I reclassed Kana and I haven't leveled him up yet), and in the expense of just one Strength point and a few Defense points, Selkie has much better speed, a fantastic mage-killer and more likely to activate skills.

I've seen some people compare Kana to a staffbot, but at the same time I've seen some amazing Kanas. I was hoping to hear other people's experiences and if anyone could give me some advice on Kana's usability, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Yeah Kana's kinda bad. His/her growths are identical to the avatar's except flat out worse in HP, strength and defense. I managed to get a decent one with Keaton as the dad, though that was largely because I made him a proccing machine like his mother, but every other one has had amazingly terrible killing power.

The way child growth works is: (Variable parent’s growth rates + Child’s growth rates) / 2 + Class growth rates.

Kana's sibling has the benefit of having Corrin's growth rates applied to them.

This website is very helpful: https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com/

I hate Kana's personal skill because re-classing is Kana's best friend. A lot more thought needs to be put into selecting your Avatar's Boon/Bane.

From my experience, Male Kana has been an Swordmaster with Xander as his father. Female Kana has been an amazing Hero with Charlotte as her mother and an amazing Basara with Oboro as the mother.

Kana's like a mediocre Corrin, except with one more innate class option. Except that doesn't really matter 'cuz Corrin can Buddy Seal with as many different people as he/she wants to (giving access to most classes if male, and all classes if female), whereas Kana gets stuck to one A+ support and one S support. The only leg up Kana has is the possibility to become a Wolfskin or Kitsune, but you get two characters for each class who fulfill those roles well enough already.

That being said, given that you can already significantly affect Corrin's stats (which are already fairly evenly balanced by default), and by nature you can even more wildly affect Kana's stats, he/she can still be OP if you put a lot of thought into them. Possibly less potent than Corrin, but still pretty good.

Kanna's base growths aren't affected by asset and flaw, right? Because if not, then that makes Kana even more worse than Corrin than just those 15/10/10 growth losses, since asset/flaw results in a net gain for Corrin.

Edit: ...I just used "More worse". ...It's correct in this instance though, right? I mean I'm comparing the degree to which two instances are worse than a baseline, so...

Edited by Alastor15243

Kanna's base growths aren't affected by asset and flaw, right? Because if not, then that makes Kana even more worse than Corrin than just those 15/10/10 growth losses, since asset/flaw results in a net gain for Corrin.

Edit: ...I just used "More worse". ...It's correct in this instance though, right? I mean I'm comparing the degree to which two instances are worse than a baseline, so...

I actually did look at the Wiki and found that the variable is only in the non-fixed parent... meaning that Corrin's stats have absolutely no affect on Kana. So yeah, Kana is even worse than I initially suggested. But with the right variable parent, they could wind up with better stats for a particular role than Corrin could, though there are few who could bump Kana's stats that much, and they're likely to be found among second gen units or the more "specialized" (i.e. really terrible) first gen units.

As for your "more worse"... I'm no grammar expert (nor am I a stickler about it), but I think it's generally regarded as a flaw to have two comparative adjectives juxtaposed in such a manner, even if you're using it in the context you did. I think of when inflating a balloon and a person is describing how big they want it as it's being inflated, they'd say "Bigger... bigger... even bigger," instead of "Bigger... more bigger... even more bigger." The "even" is inserted to emphasize how much is changed, so a "more" is redundant.

Regardless, I think it's probably better to think of an alternative, easier way to express the idea if you're unsure of if it's the right way to express it. I myself always find ways to rewrite things, as I'm always saying more than what's necessary. When all else fails, just make sure you're understandable; that's the ultimate goal with language.

Yeah I've always felt Kana was considerably weaker compared to say, Morgan in Awakening (both in battle and in character... IMO anyway).

I hear mixed offense is often the way to go, but you really have to build Kana carefully both in terms of MU's boon/flaw and who they marry.

Kana just isn't that good. The growths are too low to realistically be worth anything more than a support bot at best, and Shigure does that better because he heals and naturally has sky knight.

The best thing I think you can do is make a Corrin that's Magic boon with perhaps a skill bane. Corrin's class doesn't really matter, but try to get Wary Fighter for him/her, and get Kana something like this:

Wary Fighter, Rally Strength, Rally Speed, Rally Skill, Rally Defense (anything really). Leave the dragonstone equipped at all moments, and you can have a decently sturdy support bot.

For Male Kana in Conquest, I recommend having your Corrin simply BE a Knight so that way you can have Kana be a General to get Wary Fighter himself while both parents pass him rally skills (you can get yours by supporting with say... Azura as Female Corrin for Rally Speed), and then marry Arthur or something for strength so you can at least get those 2 pretty quickly. With this, your Kana can do maximum damage when attacked with a dragonstone and in a worst case scenario cast spells to stay away from harms way. You can also buff every single turn to make up for the lackluster stats, and can ensure that Kana can only die if he is OHKOed.

For Female Kana in Conquest, this is also weird. You can A with Arthur to get Fighter for Corrin, and then marry Azura to have her pass Rally Speed. Keeping with the whole "be a knight" thing, you can have Kana get Wary Fighter herself, and you're just SOL for Rally Skill. You can marry Percy for Rally Defense by getting Wyvern. But you'll either be missing Rally Skill or Rally Strength here because there are no fighters to marry in the children.

So get Rally Strength from Arthur, get Rally Speed from Corrin, get Rally Defense by A+ Percy and being Wyvern, and Wary Fighter by himself, the only thing you'd be missing is Rally Skill unless you marry Soleil with him. There. Now you can have a rally bot Kana.

For Male Kana in Birthright this is kinda trickier as you don't have Wary Fighter unless you give it to him, so here you have to have knight here instead of it just being recommended. If you pass Rally Speed with Azura don't marry Subaki as that's redundant so pick to either marry Subaki or pass it yourself-- I recommend passing on Subaki as Caedori does not want Knight at all unless you plan to get her Luna I guess (which could be nice, but Cav is even nicer but whatever). I guess the best bet is to get Rally Mag from the sage class here so I guess you could marry Hayato to get the class for Rally magic. So basically:

Rally Magic from Hayato, Rally Speed from you, Rally Luck from Mitama marriage, and Wary Fighter from himself because you passed it.. You can't seem to buff nearly as well this time around. And Kana Birthright seems a lot worse.

For Female Kana, once again, you'll need knight for Wary Fighter. This time we can have Female Kana marry Shigure so Speed isn't a problem this time around. Luck isn't a problem either because Mitama is possible for A+. Magic isn't a problem because you could get this by A supporting Hayato. Still, there's no way to get General for Kana without having Spear Fighter and THEN marrying Shiro. So either way, you're not getting anything for buffs from Spear Fighter either. But if you marry Shiro, you're not getting Rally Speed. Frustrating. Truly frustrating.

Rev is just a combo of the above so you get the point. I honestly just ignore Kana tbh. I hate him/her as a unit and a character.

If someone thinks of something better, let me know, because I really never bothered with this kid too much.

You could if you have the DLC, but I didn't want to assume anyone had it so I ignored it tbh. Though if you did have it, I'd get:

Rally Spectrum, Rally Movement, Amaterasu, Wary Fighter and Savage Blow. You can't be doubled, you heal everyone around you on the beginning of your turn, and you rally people to have better stats and movement, and when you do attack, you blow up everything around you.

Edited by Augestein

Yeah, the Kana's are pretty disappointing, if you ask me. One of the lamest personal skills, inferior growths compared to Corrin, and meh base stats that aren't really special anywhere, from what I remember. They're interesting in that you can reclass them to just about anything and get away with it, but I feel like they don't really excel at anything and will probably just be outclassed by their Corrin-parent as the dragon class or other children in most other classes. They kind of remind me of Odin, in a way... only his personal is actually useful...

Honestly, I guess I made Kana work because I enjoy minmaxing and I have fun grinding.

Ut3yjC1.png

That being said, +Mag/-Lck. I think he's okay, but a lot of other kids are easily better.

Honestly, I guess I made Kana work because I enjoy minmaxing and I have fun grinding.

Ut3yjC1.png

That being said, +Mag/-Lck. I think he's okay, but a lot of other kids are easily better.

if you're looking at max stats, then the problems shrink significantly since all that matters at that pt are mods, personal, and maybe class options. mods, Kana has it pretty good, being Avatar's child. personal is meh but it's not like all the children are good. and Kana has easier access to all classes than other children

Kana's weakness lays in Kana's pretty crappy bases and growths

All children are garbage.

It depends on what you mean. Some of them are okay. I'd say that Sophie is pretty solid and so is Shigure. Velouria is pretty solid as well. I believe I also used Shiro as well. The rest of them I can live without gameplay wise.

All children are garbage.

Personally, I much prefer some of the children over their dads (Percy doesn't have the lamest personal skill in the game, Sophie's faster than her dad and doesn't require me to have the main character have one foot in the grave to make use of her personal, etc.).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

if you're looking at max stats, then the problems shrink significantly since all that matters at that pt are mods, personal, and maybe class options. mods, Kana has it pretty good, being Avatar's child. personal is meh but it's not like all the children are good. and Kana has easier access to all classes than other children

Kana's weakness lays in Kana's pretty crappy bases and growths

Ah, yeah.

In that case Kana's typically not a good kid. You can do way better - Velouria for example.

Yeah, the Kana's are pretty disappointing, if you ask me. One of the lamest personal skills, inferior growths compared to Corrin, and meh base stats that aren't really special anywhere, from what I remember. They're interesting in that you can reclass them to just about anything and get away with it, but I feel like they don't really excel at anything and will probably just be outclassed by their Corrin-parent as the dragon class or other children in most other classes. They kind of remind me of Odin, in a way... only his personal is actually useful...

I found funny how the game makes Corrin stronger than Kana in almost every aspect (except max stats) because she/he has:

• A better personal skill
  • Bigger class set
  • A powerful Prf Weapon
  • Better growth rates overall (and flexilibity with them)
  • More Support (with everyone... even with Anna)
  • Etc.

Damn.... I hate so much this guy/gal.

I am inclined to agree to everyone. Whenever I try to use Kana, she always ends up as one of my weaker units.

The only way to make (female) Kana good for me was by giving Corrin a Skill or Strength boon and a Luck or HP bane and then marrying Hana. Kana turned into a monster in this way, especially if you reclass her to something like Master of Arms, Swordmaster or Dread Fighter.

Downsides to this:

1) Hana is hated by a majority of people because of her supports with Corrin. Not me, though, so this applies only to the people who do hate her

2) Her personal becomes a moot point, since you basically give up on using Dragonstones.

3) You can't get Hana on Conquest, although you could still go the Magic route and marry Ophelia or Elise - who is actually the better option of the two, I found - but in the end, this Kana will be inferior, still and so will Corrin, especially if you go for a Strength bane, meaning that your damage output will be crap against Gooron and Anankumi (I still want the latter to catch on. Come on, SF! Make it happen!).

4) Seeing the above three, you are basically forced to build your pairing plans around him/her, taking focus away from other kids, for example, marrying Hana on Revelations robs you off - as far as the majority of people are concerned - the best possible Soleil (not that I care, but some people do) and marrying Elise on Conquest means that you are giving up on Ophelia, your best possible magic user on that route and you get labeled a lolicon for the rest of your life.

EDIT: For anyone wondering why I only talk about female Kana: I haven't played as female Corrin as much as I did male and if I did, I always left everyone unpaired for reasons unclear to even myself, so I can't say much about male Kana.

Edited by DragonFlames

The problem with Kana is that he/she is poorly designed unit-wise. Like his/her Personal skill and growths that doesn't match at all. I mean, if he was supposed to be a Dragonstone user, why are his Mag, Def and Res so low ? There isn't a single father/mother that could make that work. Odin and Leo are the only bulky mages in the game, but their Mag and either Def or Res are not that good too. And Nohr's Prince(ss) growths don't help either: if you want a tanky Kana, then you have to chose Hoshido Noble, and then his Mag and Res are garbage. And if you want to attack correctly with Dragonstones, you need to go for Nohr Noble, but then his/her Speed is too high for a tank (and will be wasted anyway) and his/her Def is garbage.

And if you want to reclass Kana to something else, either you chose an hybrid class (and I don't really like them because they are too balanced) or you waste either his/her Mag or Str growth. That being said, I'm trying Mozu!Sophie!Kana @ Kinshi Knight for my Lunatic BR run, because she'd have high Skl and Spd, but I'm losing some Mag growths and I'll waste her Sword rank too. Sniper may have been good too, because of her high Def due to leveling as an Hoshido Noble with her Offspring Seal.

EDIT: Also don't forget that your Kana and Selkie are in different class, so it explains a part of the difference. DFs have low Skl and Lck, and their Spd isn't as great as Nine-tails, yet have better strength (but you picked Strength as your boon, so it's normal that Selkie's strength is so high because she inherited your Strength, unlike Kana who got Kaden's which is average). Their base growths before inheritance are also very different. Selkie has a Res growth of 50%, when Kana's is only 25% (and Keaton cannot give him enough Res, even as a DF because DF and NT have the same Res growth). Their "leveling" class is maybe different too, Selkie has direct acces to her 'final' growths, unlike Kana, especially if you leveled him as an Hoshido Noble, which seems to be the case since his defense is quite high whereas he's a DF (5% Def growth). And Selkie's Beastsone gives her some boost (something like +5 Skl and +3 Spd for -2 Def if I remember correctly), unlike Kana's Iron Katana who trades 1 Def and 1 Res points for 1 Spd.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

The problem with Kana is that he/she is poorly designed unit-wise. Like his/her Personal skill and growths that doesn't match at all. I mean, if he was supposed to be a Dragonstone user, why are his Mag, Def and Res so low ? There isn't a single father/mother that could make that work. Odin and Leo are the only bulky mages in the game, but their Mag and either Def or Res are not that good too. And Nohr's Prince(ss) growths don't help either: if you want a tanky Kana, then you have to chose Hoshido Noble, and then his Mag and Res are garbage. And if you want to attack correctly with Dragonstones, you need to go for Nohr Noble, but then his/her Speed is too high for a tank (and will be wasted anyway) and his/her Def is garbage.

I think the main problem with the Kana's is that the game designers wanted their stats to be flexible enough for you to be able to do anything with them class-wise while avoiding making them overpowered. Their stats aren't particularly biased in anything so that the player can get away with making their kid into whatever they want. However, because the designers didn't want them to have any glaring weaknesses, their stats end up being so mediocre everywhere that it's hard to get your Kana to be particularly good at anything (except when they're maxed out, but that's beside the point).

Edited by Delfino

I think the main problem with the Kana's is that the game designers wanted their stats to be flexible enough for you to be able to do anything with them class-wise while avoiding making them overpowered. Their stats aren't particularly biased in anything so that the player can get away with making their kid into whatever they want. However, because the designers didn't want their stats to have any glaring weaknesses, their stats end up being so mediocre everywhere that it's hard to get your Kana to be particularly good at anything (except when they're maxed out, but that's beside the point).

Yeah, I agree. They are too much balanced and have no niche. That's what I tried to imply with their poor design unit-wise. So they're correct everywhere, but not excellent for any role or situation.

imo, Kana's stats aren't even mediocre but outright below average. looking at base stats, Kana's absolute Base Str is the second lowest after Rhajat (and tied with Ophelia). Kana's Mag is only average. does have good Skl/Spd/Lck though

growths. HP Growth is bottom tier at 30% before other parent. excluding the Kamuisexuals, only Azura, Hana and Rinkah have lower at 25%. Fates has pretty low HP growths but it's still around 40% average. at 35%/30% for Str/Mag, that's also below average (40%). can Kana even Tank though? 25%/25% Def/Res is low tier or average at best and definitely not Tank worthy. on top of Kana's base Def/Res being average. also only has average Skl/Spd growths

if we bring in the other parent's growths, then we can maybe make Kana something. but at most, Kana will be average or slightly above average strictly in the role the parent would've had. definitely not worth using over the parent, really

Kana is very mediocre. I've heard of people going +Mag and marrying some magic-based unit like Ophelia or Leo and having a tanky Kana with the Dragonstone+ and Levin Sword.

+Mag doesn't change anything for Kana except his mods, that are not that important anyway. It will only change the Avatar's second child's growths rates.

imo, Kana's stats aren't even mediocre but outright below average. looking at base stats, Kana's absolute Base Str is the second lowest after Rhajat (and tied with Ophelia). Kana's Mag is only average. does have good Skl/Spd/Lck though

growths. HP Growth is bottom tier at 30% before other parent. excluding the Kamuisexuals, only Azura, Hana and Rinkah have lower at 25%. Fates has pretty low HP growths but it's still around 40% average. at 35%/30% for Str/Mag, that's also below average (40%). can Kana even Tank though? 25%/25% Def/Res is low tier or average at best and definitely not Tank worthy. on top of Kana's base Def/Res being average. also only has average Skl/Spd growths

if we bring in the other parent's growths, then we can maybe make Kana something. but at most, Kana will be average or slightly above average strictly in the role the parent would've had. definitely not worth using over the parent, really

Seems like we all agree on that, which is kinda unusual here :) Not mediocre stats but too much balanced and don't match his Personal and has no niche. Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt