Specifics of Seliph and Julia Pairing Glitch

NewTypeEldie

I have been recently playing Genealogy of the Holy War and I finally reached Chapter 6. I had some of the game spoiled to me before, so I was aware of the whole second generation thing and I heard about the glitch where you can pair Seliph and Julia. I have been playing the Project Naga translation of the game and I found that the glitch is not working for me. In addition to this, all of the information I found online about this glitch is based on speculation and guesses as to what affects it, leaving me more lost. I wanted to make this thread not only to help me, but to have one central place to consolidate all of the information relating to the glitch and how to do it.

Now, all morals and reasons for making this pair aside, I want to know how it works and what specifically causes it to happen. I dug through the hex values but editing them did not give me reliable results especially when it came to locating where "love points" are stored. Please, anyone with any knowledge on this subject please post so we can gather and test all we know so we have a reliable source of information.

I just need this glitch to work!

To quote what is said in another thread:

From what i understand, there is a bug in the original game that causes them to sometimes start at 490 (jealousy abuse gives a net of +5 before a reset, so it takes two turns to get to 500 and marriage), and sometimes at zero (jellosy abuse still gives a net of +5, but it now takes 100 turns) . According to an old thread i found, It apparently has to do with whether Tiltyu is paired up for some reason (it initializes to zero if she is not paired up. If i had to guess, it probably has something to do with the fact that Julia is initialized in the same cutscene as Arthur/Amid. Amid's initialization script probably zeros out the wrong value or something). Although people encountered this bug in the old patch, it is not well known, so i could see people thinking you introduced it on accident. Here is a Thread discussing it: http://serenesforest...a +love +points

TLDR: pair tiltyu if you did not already.

Fair warning, there in a conversation midway through chapter 7 that gives celice a hero sword, but only if he is unpaired. Doing the glitch in ch 6 misses this.

Edited by sirmola

I think I have read about that before. Either way, I already had Tiltyu paired by chapter 4, so that shouldn't have been an issue. I knew for sure it worked because Arthur had all of Azel's items when he appeared. I also tried loading a savestate from Project Naga on a japanese rom for the game and the glitch still wouldn't work. Seliph started with 2 authority stars but he wouldn't pair with Julia.

Do you think the person they're paired with affects it? I have these pairs set by the time I talk to Aida in chapter 5:

Midir and Aideen

Lex and Ayra

Beowulf and Raquesis

Lewyn and Ferry(or Erin or whatever it is)

Azel and Tailtiu

Claud and Sylvia

Holyn and Briggid

They all survived to the end of the chapter too, so I don't believe previous pairings are what is messing with my game.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't work if you hardware-reset the game to get Seliph his extra leadership stars among other things.

From what was explained to me once, the glitch and many other things are dependent on whether you reset the game or not because of the way the game stores information in Ram and reads it. The reason it works it's because the game gives the jealousy values of the 1st gen units to the 2nd gen units, which favor Deirdre gaining love points for Sigurd.