FE7 at AGDQ 2017

sirmola

I was looking over the recently posted lineup for agdq 2017, and i noticed that Blazing Sword (FE7) is in the lineup this year. Specificaly, it is the first game scheduled on the last day (Saturday, January 14th at 5:12 AM eastern time. I won't be able to view live, but i can't wait to see the archived footage. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Link: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

lmao 6 AM on a Saturday? Fuck that. I'll catch it on YouTube or something.

I wonder what strategy will be run though. If it's any% they may just Marcus roll a lot of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was RNG manipulated in AGDQ 2014 Bonus Stream, I believe. OP Florina is always a joy to see, even if I don't need RNG manipulation to see it.

Considering the main event of AGDQ 2014 from Fire Emblem was Sacred Stones No RNG manipulation, which found itself way behind estimate...

Fire emblem is kind of weird as a speedgame, especially in the ways it differs from LTC. I'm not surprised it has a timeslot like that- It's kind of problematic to commentate when you assume that most of the audiences isn't familiar with the game given the amount of stuff going on. I'm almost surprised it didn't get something even worse, like a 2-4 AM.

I'll probably watch it anyway, because I watch everything , lol.

I actually think that a lot of stuff got in this year that isn't really that exciting to watch (Psychonauts- sure it's a cult game, but the flying glitch kind of makes the second half of the run samey) Mega Man Legends, LittleBigPlanet, and Super Bomberman also stick out as offenders as games vastly less entertaining as a speed run than firsthand.

I've never really cared for Kirbymastah's commentary, so I think I'll pass on this one.

Thanks! I appreciate the support as the runner of the game!

Fire emblem is kind of weird as a speedgame, especially in the ways it differs from LTC. I'm not surprised it has a timeslot like that- It's kind of problematic to commentate when you assume that most of the audiences isn't familiar with the game given the amount of stuff going on. I'm almost surprised it didn't get something even worse, like a 2-4 AM.

I'll probably watch it anyway, because I watch everything , lol.

I actually think that a lot of stuff got in this year that isn't really that exciting to watch (Psychonauts- sure it's a cult game, but the flying glitch kind of makes the second half of the run samey) Mega Man Legends, LittleBigPlanet, and Super Bomberman also stick out as offenders as games vastly less entertaining as a speed run than firsthand.

As much as I hate to admit it, it sorta makes sense to put FE speedruns at a bad time since it isn't something that appeals as much to the general audience. Many FE fans would be willing to stay up at those times to catch fire emblem speedruns. Last year's path of radiance run was also at a similar graveyard time by gwimpage.

Edited by kirbymastah

Thanks! I appreciate the support as the runner of the game!

Well, I'm not really one for support of the runners (I tend to just stick to watching the VODs of the games I enjoy), but I quite liked you in Kirby's Adventure Wii in, I believe, SGDQ13. I'll be interested to see this run, though I do hope you don't have a kajillion internet outages (I think something similar happened in AGDQ15 Radiant Dawn, but only towards the end...).

Well, I'm not really one for support of the runners (I tend to just stick to watching the VODs of the games I enjoy), but I quite liked you in Kirby's Adventure Wii in, I believe, SGDQ13. I'll be interested to see this run, though I do hope you don't have a kajillion internet outages (I think something similar happened in AGDQ15 Radiant Dawn, but only towards the end...).

Yeah that's generally fair. Oh god, the tech issues in SGDQ13 for my kirby run were... D:

It sucks, but it couldn't be help, that just happens sometimes.

I'm really hoping to have gwimpage on couch for my fire emblem run since he's awesome and gwiggles are awesome and he knows a lot lol

I just added your FE7 speedrun to my calendar so I won't miss it!

I live 10 minutes away from the AGDQ venue but unfortunately missed out on tickets this year. Otherwise I'd be there in person. :)

Edited by Popo

Out of curiosity, what's the process like for being selected to run at AGDQ? Do you have to sort of... be nominated by your speedrun community or something? Or can just anyone apply and the judges sort out who gets the role?

Anyone can apply - this usually involves sending in a commentated submission video, and writing a one paragraph submission, as well as the time estimate.

Then the submissions are vetted by 5 people. When I submitted they still had time to write short pms to rejected games, but I'm pretty sure that is done on a request only basis now.

And if you've ever looked at a submission thread, you will see that anyone does apply- I remember seeing a garfield kart submission next to a grand theft auto submission last year. I've been rejected before for submitting a run that was hard to watch, admittedly it had a lot of off-screen activity. Overall criteria are not really static, but you read a little about it from the AGDQ FAQ "Once the submission period closes, games are chosen for the final schedule through a multi-step process of elimination. The overall goal is to craft a schedule with the most broad appeal for viewers and ability to draw support for the charity."

Once the submission period closes, games are chosen for the final schedule through a multi-step process of elimination. The overall goal is to craft a schedule with the most broad appeal for viewers and ability to draw support for the charity.

Amazing run. Highly technical, informative, and entertaining. Personally I liked all the small inside jokes as well, even when they cost some time. I think there was a good balance between speed (still extremely optimized, especially menuing), fun, and embracing the silliness of RNG manip/CEG.

The tremendous amount of work that must have went into routing and practice was very impressive. Great work to kirbymastah, TR143, the couch, and any others that helped along the way.

I stayed up just to watch the run, and I didn't regret it, even if I could hardly keep my eyes open by the end. The commentary was entertaining and the execution was impressive. Probably the best run I've seen so far at this year's event.

(Nobody tell Kirbymastah I haven't watched much of this AGDQ, I want him to feel special.)

Now I want to replay Blazing Sword.