Which location would you like the next Pokemon region to be inspired from?

Rend Keaven

Genaration 1-4 of Pokemon took place in regions inspired by areas of Japan origins. It was until Gen 5 where GameFreak made the move to have Unova in Gen 5 be based on New York, followed by Kalos of Gen 6 taking inspiration from France and Alola in Gen 7 taking influences from the Hawaiian Islands. I really like this feature as it makes the Pokemon world feel like an alternate version of our world and not have every region be an area that is just round the corner from the previous region. I made this topic to ask you Pokemon fans if there is a real life location that you would like Generation 8 to be based and share some ideas for what kind of Pokemon/Legendaries there will be.

For me, I would really love the next region to be inspired by Australia/New Zealand. Despite never visiting there, I really admire the rich wildlife that can be found there and habitats such as rainforest, Great Barrier Reef and even the Outlands. You can have legendaries based on mythical creatures within the Australian mythology such as Bunyip, Drop Bear and Taniwha.

If you see someone saying an area they would like their dream region to be based on and it happens to be an area you grew up in or visited, feel free to add in/share ideas. Heck, if an Aussie on SF finds my idea of the next region ludicrous, they're more than welcome to say what region it should be next.

Pittsburgh, PA! Not just because it's the city I'm from, but I think its three rivers would make an interesting place to travel around in a Pokemon game. This is the only city in the country where three rivers meet. It also would make it easy to divide the Pokedex up in to sections again, one for each section of the region cut off by rivers.

Besides this though, I guess I'd say Australia.

Having been to New Zealand, I have to agree with the OP.

Yup, absolutely New Zealand, with such a rich ecosystem and so many different climates, it would be amazing. I mean, who wouldn't like two glaciers that end up in a rainforest?

Netherlands would be funny. Many rivers, islands, a decent railway system for fast travel. No Fly Hm and still no problem.

I think a region based on Scotland would be cool:

I do not live there, but I have visited. It would be cool to see Edinburgh as a major city in a Pokémon region. Almost every major European city I have seen have a little bit of a leftover Ye Olde feel to it, but for Edinburgh that Ye Olde is very unique (partly because there's more of it still remaining).

A place based on Loch Ness would be a great location to house a legendary guardian of the region based on the Loch Ness Monster.

There is a lot of folklore in Britain, largely Celtic in origin, that would provide great ideas for Pokémon (for example: lots and lots of fairies in Celtic myth and legend).

Edited by vanguard333

I want a region based on the areas of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire; the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Croatia all have very similar architecture and ecosystems, and I think a region with that look could be cool. It has a lot of diversity, too, from the Austrian alps to the plains of Hungary to the forests of the Czech Republic to the coast of Croatia. I honestly think it would make a fantastic region.

Well, I suppose I would like to see a region based of some part of my country, Mexico. But other than that, I guess it would be interesting to see of places like Australia, Switzerland, or Scandinavia.

I want a region based on the areas of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire; the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Croatia all have very similar architecture and ecosystems, and I think a region with that look could be cool. It has a lot of diversity, too, from the Austrian alps to the plains of Hungary to the forests of the Czech Republic to the coast of Croatia. I honestly think it would make a fantastic region.

Man, that sounds like a great idea. Too bad it may probably be too big of an area to cover with just one region.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

My stock answers to this are Scandinavia because I live here and Australia because the unique fauna would be nice inspiration for new mons.

Scandinavia could be geographically interesting because of an inland sea, a lot of forests, islands, lakes and mountains. Plus the generally cold weather would be nice justification for early game ice-types!

There's only one location with snow in Sinnoh and pretty much any regions has forests and lakes of some sort.

Except Ore

There's lots of snow in Sinnoh in Platinum. :/ Also, there are several snowy locations. The routes leading to Snowpoint City and Lake Acuity, the city and lake themselves, and Mt. Coronet.

Edited by Anacybele

There's lots of snow in Sinnoh in Platinum. :/ Also, there are several snowy locations. The routes leading to Snowpoint City and Lake Acuity, the city and lake themselves, and Mt. Coronet.

Only in Platinum? I only played Diamond and lot of pokémon games only have one snowy location or none.

But snow is not everything, yes we do have a longer winter but we are not in winter 12 months in a row.

(I still laugh everytime when I heard a few Americans thinking that we live in igloos here).

Edited by Nym

I would not mind a Canada version, especially since I am Canadian. But the one problem I can see is that Canada is vast and there is almost too much variety for only one Pokémon region. All the provinces (except maybe the prairies, but even then) are quite different in terms of landscape and overall environment, and then one has to consider the territories.

...If the region is divided into sections (like Alola, but without the sections being islands) such that one has an Atlantic section, an Ontario/Quebec/New Brunswick section, a prairie section, a pacific section, and a territory section, then it might be possible to base a region off of Canada, but it would probably be a really big region.

This is one of the reasons I suggested Scotland and not Canada.