How do you feel about Evyel's True Identity

Jotari

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Evyel's true identity?

• Epic Plot Twist!
    • Pretty Poor Plot Twist.
    • I am completely ambivalent

So how do you feel about the plot twist of Evyel's true identity? Personally I feel like it adds very little to her character and only really serves to cheapen the Barhara Massacre. I think Evyel would be a perfectly good character without any connection to Briggid. Though I do appreciate the irony of the pirate princess growing up to make it her mission in life to fight pirates.

Edited by Jotari

It's pretty great, but I think it could be experienced better with a new FE5 translation patch, but oh well...

I did not quite understood the Dragon pact at her ending in FE5, though.

Edit: Yeah, the more I think about it, it does feel rushed by the writers. Still, I do think it would've been a cool idea if it was handled better...

Edited by OliKad

Spoilers within.

I've posted briefly elsewhere my thoughts on the reveal in Thracia (look in the spoiler there, it's part of my rant on the BBB). Might as well elaborate.

The reveal is sudden. After we've met this character, gotten to know her pretty well, and gone to save her after she had been turned to stone (far as the gap is), there's the conversation with a bunch of the early characters, and then Finn asks if she's someone he knew. She denies it. Only for the ending text to reveal that she's Brigged all along, just briefly mentioning meeting her kids and that the Gesh contract was involved.

The big issue for the reveal is that this is all we know. At least we had an idea what happened in Levin's case, and that it's not even Levin in there. No discussion of the Gesh shows up elsewhere at all. And so we don't know what it is, and to what extent it has an effect beyond amnesia. Obviously, this ticks me off. This is just stupid to pull, and apparently the dragons will just pull this Gesh as they wish. So no, I do not think of this as clever.

The second issue is how it helps to further weaken the Big event of G1. I mean, we already have at about half of the party alive, and this just screws it up for me. So for me, it's another case of hurting one of the best moments in FE.

I thouht it was badass. One of those plot twist, 'put just like that'. No problemo, take your plot elements and your plotwist with it.

Just like a tad of of good spice in your food.

I don't get how it cheapens the Battle of Barhara. Pretty sure all of the other mothers survived past the end of the battle, at least. It would be weird if Briggid was the only one who died.

It's completely useless and unneccesary.

Like, I guess it's kinda cool for people who are fans of Briggid, but I'm not the biggest fan of her, so I when it was revealed I was like, "uh, okay..."

Edited by Pixelman

I don't get how it cheapens the Battle of Barhara. Pretty sure all of the other mothers survived past the end of the battle, at least. It would be weird if Briggid was the only one who died.

Them also surviving doesn't make it better. I felt the whole point of the BBB is diminished by survivors in the first place. Hell, I'd argue Brigged's survival makes more sense than most of them, but the Gesh gets no explanation, which is personally infuriating.

In Levin's case, it's pretty obvious that that it's not Levin and at the very least Holsety was noted as investing more into his tome than other crusaders, which is at least more explanation than for anyone else (for most, 0 is given).

Edited by Dayni

Unfortunately, I feel like it, along with the rest of the game really makes no sense… How would she randomly lose her memories, her ability to wield bows, and the markings her body?

The memories are somewhat understandable (she lost them before), but forgetting basic skills or completely changing what she looks like? That just doesn't happen.

I feel like it would've been better if Eveyle was completely separate from Briggid… Failing that, explain more as to what happened to her (its hand waved using a pact with dragons, but never explains why or how she pacted, or even what she did with it; it might be how she survived, but if she survived that way, why didn't Levin?)

People survive large scale battles, I don't know what to tell you. Just because they were caught by surprise, doesn't mean that every one of them died (and Sigurd's army is implied to be larger than just the playable units).

Them also surviving doesn't make it better. I felt the whole point of the BBB is diminished by survivors in the first place. Hell, I'd argue Brigged's survival makes more sense than most of them, but the Gesh gets no explanation, which is personally infuriating.

In Levin's case, it's pretty obvious that that it's not Levin and at the very least Holsety was noted as investing more into his tome than other crusaders, which is at least more explanation than for anyone else (for most, 0 is given).

Levin's survival also actually impacted the plot of the second gen where's Briggid's was more or less a side note.

People survive large scale battles, I don't know what to tell you. Just because they were caught by surprise, doesn't mean that every one of them died (and Sigurd's army is implied to be larger than just the playable units).

The Barhara Massacre wasn't a conventional battle. It was an ambush like the red wedding in Game of Thrones. Narratively it's point was to kill off a lot of characters suddenly and all at once. The impact of doing something like that is lessened if half the characters end up surviving. Especially if they end up surviving and not actually contributing anything to further the story. Having survivors is certainly no issue since the end of chapter 5 makes their fate ambiguous but how the survivors are handled is critical. Like I said, Levin's survival plays a part in the plot. Fury's survival (which makes a good deal of sense since she can fly) explains the state of Silesia and ties into Sety's story. Some of the other mothers survived purely so a few of the children could be younger characters, not a great reason in my opinion but still a reason. Each new character revealed to have survived the massacre makes the massacre seem less dangerous and Briggid's survival is kind of the tipping point since really adds nothing.

Edited by Jotari

Sounds about right, most of the stuff from Celtic lore are spelled differently in the Judgral titles (Tilnanogue, anyone?) (otoh, bit ashamed to miss that).

It's still not explained in game, and that's honestly a shame.

Sounds about right, most of the stuff from Celtic lore are spelled differently in the Judgral titles (Tilnanogue, anyone?) (otoh, bit ashamed to miss that).

It's still not explained in game, and that's honestly a shame.

I don't think they're intentional misspellings. If it was intentional then I don't think Leonster would be so close to right next to Conote which is quite wrong. As an Irish man I hope a lot of these locations are correctly translated in some future version but it would require map editing to be consistent and consistency is more important. Although in this case knowing what an actual Geas much doesn't really even help all that much since the ending already mentions it as a pact which is all the explanation knowing the term would bring you. Though I guess it is good to know we can call the blood bonding a geas for what it's worth. Still does drag up a lot of questions about other blood inheritors ending their respective geas.

I think Eyvel = Bridget is just a way they want us to fight a Gen 1 character as enemy.

But they handled it poorly, so Faval cannot show up and fight us as in Fe4 Chapter 8.

About the geis, I think one of the condition is if the blood inheritors pass their weapons to their successors, they can end their geis.

The Barhara Massacre wasn't a conventional battle. It was an ambush like the red wedding in Game of Thrones. Narratively it's point was to kill off a lot of characters suddenly and all at once. The impact of doing something like that is lessened if half the characters end up surviving. Especially if they end up surviving and not actually contributing anything to further the story. Having survivors is certainly no issue since the end of chapter 5 makes their fate ambiguous but how the survivors are handled is critical. Like I said, Levin's survival plays a part in the plot. Fury's survival (which makes a good deal of sense since she can fly) explains the state of Silesia and ties into Sety's story. Some of the other mothers survived purely so a few of the children could be younger characters, not a great reason in my opinion but still a reason. Each new character revealed to have survived the massacre makes the massacre seem less dangerous and Briggid's survival is kind of the tipping point since really adds nothing.

The first part is fair (about it not being a conventional battle), but again I don't see why Briggid's survival pushes things over the edge. I don't think it adds much either, but I think it makes way more sense for Briggid with her SUPER MEGA DEATH BOW to come out not dead than most of the people in the army.

I mean Ulir is known for Luck ((statistically at least))

[spoiler=FE4]So wouldn't having both sisters from Jungby survive make sense in that sort of way?

Either way. It never bothered me and I didn't find that it lessened anything. Makes me wonder about the ending though. Her character ending talks about reuniting with her kids. Does Mareeta just get a big fuck you or something?

Mareeta's ending makes it clear she still thinks of Eyvel as her mother, so probably not.

I meant from Eyvel's side of things but fair point. I did forget about that. Endings in FE sure have gotten more fleshed out over time.

Not too much IMO. They're definitely more detailed than the SNES endings but it kind of peaked around FE7,FE8, and FE10 (FE9 didn't have endings right? I might just be crazy, because I'm not remembering this).

I always thought it was a way to not kill Briggid off because she was popular or something, but still include her in 5 as a new character. The whole thing smells to me as two writers arguing overnight reaching a middle-road solution that didn't pleased either of them. I did like the convo afterwards.

B6DKYSq.jpg

Speaking of Briggid: Adean was mentioned to be alive during Gen 2 of FE4, wasn't she? Whatever happened to her?

Edited by SalShich10N

Not too much IMO. They're definitely more detailed than the SNES endings but it kind of peaked around FE7,FE8, and FE10 (FE9 didn't have endings right? I might just be crazy, because I'm not remembering this).

I didn't pay too much attention to the FE14 endings but the FE13 ones were kind of wordy. FE9 had like the exit lines because it was pointing towards obvious sequel.

I always thought it was a way to not kill Briggid off because she was popular or something, but still include her in 5 as a new character. The whole thing smells to me as two writers arguing overnight reaching a middle-road solution that didn't pleased either of them. I did like the convo afterwards.

B6DKYSq.jpg

Speaking of Briggid: Adean was mentioned to be alive during Gen 2 of FE4, wasn't she? Whatever happened to her?

I have no idea what caused them to write Eyvel as Briggid. I feel like it was kind of stuffed in after 4's development.

IIRC the only Gen 1 female that actually did die in the Battle of Barhara was Ayra. Some of them had really shitty worse-than-death situations though, most notably Tiltyu.

Aideen somehow made it to Isaac where she helped raise Celice, her kids, Ayra's kids, and Delmud with Oifay and Shanan.

Edited by Alolan Darros

B6DKYSq.jpg

I actually thought it was pretty clever having Finn and Briggid paired up when I first found out about the spoiler, since Finn leaves not too long after Briggid joins so it's quite possible he never actually met her. But then they reveald iit that way and I'm just wondering why Finn never considered bringing it up in the three years he was playing house with her.

The plot twist brought absolutely nothing to the story. I feel like it was just added there to give at least one of the mothers a happy ending after all the suffering they went through.

I was pretty meh about the revelation though as I have always been meh to Briggid as she was the one mother and holy weapon user that I constantly forget about.