Unpopular Zelda Opinions

Weeping Dalek (MK)

Hey, why don't you share your unpopular Zelda opinions? Why? No particular reason.

I'll start:

-Phantom Hourglass is better than Spirit Tracks

-The Temple of the Ocean King was pretty good

-A Link to the Past is WAY overrated

-The Ancient Cistern is Overrated

-Skyward Sword has the best dungeons in the series

PH > ST

Hero of Time/Romani > Hero of Time/Malon

Ocarina of Time is meh at best and far from the world's best game

Skyward Sword's only notable problem was the controls

Temple of the Ocean King being repetitive is overblown, as is the time limit complaint.

TFH is actually quite fun and not a disgrace to the series.

ALBW is the best top-down Zelda overall

It doesn't seem to be unpopular anymore, but Majora's Mask is by far my favorite Zelda game.

Also the Water Temple was honestly pretty easy. Also Ocarina of Time probably doesn't even break my Top Five Zelda Games X)

PH > ST

Hero of Time/Romani > Hero of Time/Malon

Ocarina of Time is meh at best and far from the world's best game

Skyward Sword's only notable problem was the controls

Temple of the Ocean King being repetitive is overblown, as is the time limit complaint.

TFH is actually quite fun and not a disgrace to the series.

ALBW is the best top-down Zelda overall

I agree about Skyward Sword and the only problem I have with the Temple of the Ocean King is the time limit

I agree about Skyward Sword and the only problem I have with the Temple of the Ocean King is the time limit

The time limit isn't a problem at all, in my experience. 10:00 to start is more than enough for floors 1-6, and 25:00 for the whole thing is way more than one might ever need.

Heck, with endgame equipment one can register 0:00 elapsed for the yellow light.

Windwaker best Zelda

Dungeons are the weakest part of 3D Zeldas and BOTW will be better off with just 4

Zelda 1 and 2> LTTP

LBWs best top down Zelda

TP is complete unredeemable garbage. Garbage story, garbage gameplay for Zelda standards,read "good for adventure game standards, bad for Zelda standards, and the game is just UGLY in large part due to the stupid art style choice.

SS is alright and would be great if it wasn't for the motion controls.

The addition of voice acting in BOTW and HW was a mistake.

Windwaker best Zelda

Dungeons are the weakest part of 3D Zeldas and BOTW will be better off with just 4

Zelda 1 and 2> LTTP

LBWs best top down Zelda

TP is complete unredeemable garbage. Garbage story, garbage gameplay for Zelda standards,read "good for adventure game standards, bad for Zelda standards, and the game is just UGLY in large part due to the stupid art style choice.

SS is alright and would be great if it wasn't for the motion controls.

The addition of voice acting in BOTW and HW was a mistake.

WW best Zelda isn't exactly unpopular

The time limit isn't a problem at all, in my experience. 10:00 to start is more than enough for floors 1-6, and 25:00 for the whole thing is way more than one might ever need.

Heck, with endgame equipment one can register 0:00 elapsed for the yellow light.

I just don't like time limits

Here mine Zelda is absolutely incredible series that has ZERO bad mainline (ie no crossbow, warriors, 4 swords, cdi etc.) entires every game has it own merits and is great in it's own right. I may like some of them more and some of them less, but every single game is worthy of the Zelda moniker.

Keep in mine boy and girls Zelda is such a divisive series that there are not many actually unpopular opinions about it, just different opinions.

Edited by Locke087

Oh and one more:

The timeline is not a massive creativity limiter. The decline timeline's very existence is proof of that. Going full blown into alternate continuities can ensure there is always a place for a new game to be placed.

My only big gripe with the timeline is OoX not being Child line (because the Twinrova living makes no sense otherwise).

I'll agree with the Temple of the Ocean King not being as bad as people give it.

-Water > Ice temples (i.e. ice temples are the worst). Hoo boy I stand by this.

-I actually like the three timelines.

-Minish Cap > Link's Awakening (Mostly on gameplay, prefer LA's story, but not by much to make the difference)

-Probably going to pick LBW as best 2D title (even if it's pretty easy. Even on Hero mode after a while)

Not played enough of the 3D entries to really comment there.

Also, yeah I can't say I disliked any I've played. LttP has been the hardest to get through but I'll finish eventually (says a person who's been playing on and off for years)

Edited by Dayni

Here mine Zelda is absolutely incredible series that has ZERO bad mainline (ie no crossbow, warriors, 4 swords, cdi etc.) entires every game has it own merits and is great in it's own right. I may like some of them more and some of them less, but every single game is worthy of the Zelda moniker.

Keep in mine boy and girls Zelda is such a divisive series that there are not many actually unpopular opinions about it, just different opinions.

Four Swords is canon and a main series Zelda game

Hey, why don't you share your unpopular Zelda opinions? Why? No particular reason.

I'll start:

-Phantom Hourglass is better than Spirit Tracks

-The Temple of the Ocean King was pretty good

-A Link to the Past is WAY overrated

-The Ancient Cistern is Overrated

-Skyward Sword has the best dungeons in the series

Another one, I don't like the Sand Temple from Spirit Tracks, I hate it tbh

Four Swords is canon and a main series Zelda game.

It's just as canon as Federation Force is to Metroid... regardless if you want to count, 4 Swords, 4 Swords Aventures, and Tri Force Heroes they are fine game as well... Though I consider them spin offs as they are very materially and structurally different to the mainline series just as much as Federation Force is. I know Nintendo doesn't consider them spin offs, but they routinely refuse to call some games spin offs.

Edited by Locke087

The Wind Waker is not only the worst Zelda game. It's one of the worst game's I've ever played. Period.

Skyward Sword is really great. It has fun dungeons, the world being sort of dungeon-ish was an amazing idea and it had nice side quests. The motion controls were enjoyable IMO.

A link between worlds would be a mediocre (but not bad by any means) game if not for the ice dungeon. That dungeon was so good it made the game as a whole better. Like, it pushed it from a 7 to an 8.5.

OoT's Water Temple is fun.

MM's dungeons are really good, without exceptions. The sidequests are not the only thing in its favor.

There's nothing wrong with TP's color scheme. Actually, I'd say the same for every Zelda game. They all look good in their own way.

TP's dungeons were good, yeah, but they could have been less linear. I think OoT has better dungeons than it due to that.

The Zelda cycle isn't a thing. It's just a way people found to dismiss people's opinions they disagree with.

I liked PH and ST

Edited by Nooooooooooooooooooooobody

Looking through everyone's responses... I pretty much agree with a majority of them.

The Wind Waker is not only the worst Zelda game. It's one of the worst game's I've ever played. Period.

Except for this one. Go hug a ReDead.

This. MM is also one of the worst in both categories, imo.

- Skyward Sword is the best 3D Zelda and the controls in it are just fine, they just require a bit more practice and getting used to than simply using buttons.

- Dungeons and boss battles are the most important thing in Zelda, not exploration (that's second alongside story). The very first Zelda was originally being developed as a dungeon maker! The thing was that Miyamoto and his team had more fun playing the dungeons than creating them, so it became The Legend of Zelda.

- Ocarina of Time isn't one of the best Zeldas. It's good, but imo, it's outdone by Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, The Minish Cap, A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds, and I'd say Four Swords Adventures too, despite the extreme linearity in that one.

- Speaking of which, FSA is a great game and linearity doesn't make a Zelda game bad.

EDIT: Shut up, Power Master, we're allowed to have that opinion if we want.

Edited by Anacybele

- Can they stop giving useless items that are only useful inside the dungeon that we can get the said item? (spinner, sand wand, etc)

- Shapeshift into a wolf was one of the best thing in Zelda

- I hate the mailman in TP

MM's dungeons are really good, without exceptions. The sidequests are not the only thing in its favor.

Is this really unpopular?

Last I checked MM's dungeons are considered a strong point.

I agree with it, at any rate. The worst of the four (Woodfall) is really well-done for a initial dungeon so I can forgive it for being a bit more boring than the other three because it's good anyway.

The best Zelda game is Zelda 2, which is maintains the exploration chops and actually has fun side-scroller gameplay instead of the boring overhead/weak 3D action of other games. Man I wish the series had stuck with this, at least for the other 2D games.

Almost every game after the first two has far too much in the way of doing fetchquests for NPCs instead of focusing on gameplay and exploration. I have not played them all (in particular I haven't played one since OoT though I've watched some of MM and TP) so maybe the series gets better about this, but I am skeptical.

I also like Hyrule Warriors better than any mainline Zelda game, but I like 3D action better than Zelda generally so that's par for the course. Still, I'll call it out specifically because it did actually impress me; I also like it more than the other Warriors games I've played, despite not having much particular Zelda love (as should be evident).

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

I like SS story wise but Hate the motion controls because at least with my remotes (I have 3) playing it as a lefty was very annoying and I would buy a remaster without motion controls in a heart beat

I love Minish Cap and think any Zelda fan that skips it is making a big mistake

I don't ship Link and Zelda in any game except SS and find it silly that most fans think they get married in every Zelda game.

Edited by EricaofRenais

No matter my annoyances with it I respect Skyward sword as a game.

I greatly prefer the Hyrule Warriors version of Zant over his TP version. The complete change in Zants personality always bothered me. Insane Zant and sinister villain Zant feel like separated characters but the Hyrule warriors version incorporates both halves of his personality. When lucid, Zant is able to serve as Ganon's tactician but its also made obvious he's a loony.

TP never got the incorporation of both halves down. Instead Zant just changes suddenly. He doesn't crack when he's slowly being beaten but just snaps mid conversation.

A Link Between Worlds is a poor man's Link to the Past. Kinda disappointing after the 20+ year wait.

this is far from unpopular. A lot of fans believe this. I disagree, however, because im of the mind this game has the best Zelda story out of the lot.

The Kinstone fusion from Minish Cap is something that needs to be explored more.

Wind Waker did not feel like an open world to me, due to how you are still forced to do things in a specific order. (you really cant go do the Wind Temple before the Earth Temple and thats fucking dumb.) Not to mention how majority of islands are just little rocks with chests on them. I also abhor how this game's story treats Tetra.

Skyward Sword is the worst console Zelda to ever exist. Everything about it save for its story, is terrible. Massive handholding to the point that its patronizing the player. Horribly linear exploration. Pointless busy work as quest objectives. Awkward controls...ughhhh this game.

Zant being barking mad in the end of TP is actually one of my favorite things. He just loses it because he knows hes losing in his objective. Plus, he always seems a bit unhinged and just is keeping a cool head half the time, because hes finally in control of things. Once he loses that control? Bammo, nut bar exposed. I find it kinda awesome and always read it that way. (most Z fans actually hate Zant's personality "change" btw)

I had no trouble understanding what was going on in that wacky Lanayru scene in TP. You know the one. I also find it a very interesting scene due to what it tells us about Link's mind here.

2D Zelda > 3D Zelda

Majora's Mask is the best 3D Zelda to date.

I really like Zelda II despite its difficulty.