Should I get Fates or Awakening?

Hagakure

So I'm getting a 3DS and I want to know which I should buy. I was going to get both versions of Fates (Conquest as a DLC) at first but I heard people say it wasn't as fun. But then if I got Awakening I'd feel left out from all the new classes and "improved gameplay". I kept flip-flopping on the dilemma so I need help choosing.

It depends on if you like story or game play more, if you like game play best get Conquest but if you want a story that half way makes sense get Awakening. Have you played any FE games before? If you have I would say get Conquest first but if this will be you first FE game you should get Awakening.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Fates is so much better imo, but Awakening is much more welcoming to newcomers and to be prefectly frank here, I can not play Awakening and have fun anymore because I just miss Fates so much when I do so.

As for the story, eh I find them both to be awful but I prefer Fates' narrative since it seems to somewhat have more focus and for the most part better characters. Neither of them have stories of any worth compared to what you've played, but if your playing for plot your in the wrong franchise to begin with imo.

I've played FE7,8 and 11 but that's it.

Then I would say get Fates, Conquest is the best in terms of game play and since you have played the series before you should have no problems.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Awakening requires insaine amounts grinding for an optimal setup. If you are like me, and have issues resisting optimality, this grinding makes awakening distinctly less fun than fates, where planning alows you to get optimmal or near optimal set ups with almost no grinding.

Additionaly, I feel that awakening gets boring by the end, because there are far too many "kill all the enemies in a giant field" missions, especialy in the secind half of the game. Fates has very few of those, even in birthright. Conquest's maps have a wide variety of interesting and varied objectives.

Get Fates. Awakening has a better story than Fates (by virtue of the fact that EVERYTHING has a better story than Fates) but Fates gameplay is better in almost every way. I'd start off with Birthright until you get a feel for how the mechanics work before moving on to Conquest, which can be a challenge even on Normal.

Fates is the better game in nearly every way, imo. Better characters, better story (though that's not impressive since Awakening's story is shit), better gameplay, etc. Either Birthright or Conquest, doesn't matter, both are better. I haven't played Conquest (it doesn't interest me a lot), but from what I've seen of it definitely looks better than Awakening aside from a few stupid points (mainly character design).

Better characters, better story (though that's not impressive since Awakening's story is shit), better gameplay, etc. Either Birthright or Conquest, doesn't matter, both are better. I haven't played Conquest (it doesn't interest me a lot), but from what I've seen of it definitely looks better than Awakening aside from a few stupid points (mainly character design).

You really need to stop recommending stuff you haven't experienced for yourself. You're not helping anyone. Recommending Conquest over Awakening from saying its story is better has never seen a step by step breakdown.

It's about as brutal as criticism of fanfics.

Especially since you have never experienced Conquest yourself.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You really need to stop recommending stuff you haven't experienced for yourself. You're not helping anyone. Recommending Conquest over Awakening from saying its story is better has never seen a step by step breakdown.

It's about as brutal as criticism of fanfics.

Especially since you have never experienced Conquest yourself.

You really need to stop badgering me and putting words in my mouth all the time. You're not helping anyone. You're only starting drama by doing this and you could mislead people too. I didn't simply say Conquest is automatically better, I said it LOOKS better.

It's about as different as apples and oranges.

Especially since as you say, I've never experienced Conquest for myself. I can only say it looks or appears to be better, not that it actually is.

Especially since as you say, I've never experienced Conquest for myself. I can only say it looks or appears to be better, not that it actually is.

So, how are you helping, again?

How does that help the OP in regards to your knowledge of the subject?

How can you say that Fates is better in every aspect? You can't justify it because you cannot make an informed statement for yourself, let alone helping the OP.

You need to stop taking these as personal attacks. You need to ask yourself what qualifies you to make a statement. More often than not you just post your opinion without ever thinking about if you *CAN* say those things about a subject.

There has been no badgering in my posts. No objective other than to point out detrimental statements in the topic. No mod in their right mind will warn me for badgering for pointing out that you don't make statements to help other people based on hearsay or an incomplete picture.

You can't give recommendations or advice based on an incomplete picture.

As for the OP:

Fates has a revamped pair up system along with debuffs, weapon effects, and more complicated weapon triangle and skills.

If you want an intro to the pair up system and ease yourself in with the mechanics of the older FEs you've played... go with Awakening.

Otherwise, Fates has a lot to offer with gameplay. And that can be a good or bad thing depending on how much information with the mechanics you want to get used to.

Storywise:

Conquest will test your suspension of disbelief.

Otherwise, Birthright and Awakening are about equal.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Play Awakening first. It's a lot more forgiving, and it introduces some core concepts that are carried over into Fates (buyable Seals, a ton of supports for no apparent reason, shopping outside of chapters, etc.).

Fates has a revamped pair up system along with debuffs, weapon effects, and more complicated weapon triangle and skills.

If you want an intro to the pair up system and ease yourself in with the mechanics of the older FEs you've played... go with Awakening.

Otherwise, Fates has a lot to offer with gameplay. And that can be a good or bad thing depending on how much information with the mechanics you want to get used to.

Storywise:

Conquest will test your suspension of disbelief.

Otherwise, Birthright and Awakening are about equal.

Uh, I'm not choosing based on the best story, but the head's up is appreciated. What did they change about the weapon triangle?

They added stuff to the triangle in Fates, Swords and Magic beat Axes and Bows which beat Lances and Hidden Weapons(Read significantly more useful knives from FE9 and 10) which beat Swords and magic. I like this change tbh, but I understand those that don't.

Awakening requires insaine amounts grinding for an optimal setup. If you are like me, and have issues resisting optimality, this grinding makes awakening distinctly less fun than fates, where planning alows you to get optimmal or near optimal set ups with almost no grinding.

Additionaly, I feel that awakening gets boring by the end, because there are far too many "kill all the enemies in a giant field" missions, especialy in the secind half of the game. Fates has very few of those, even in birthright. Conquest's maps have a wide variety of interesting and varied objectives.

Is the grinding that tedious compared to Fates?

They added stuff to the triangle in Fates, Swords and Magic beat Axes and Bows which beat Lances and Hidden Weapons(Read significantly more useful knives from FE9 and 10) which beat Swords and magic. I like this change tbh, but I understand those that don't.

Oh okay. I think I can get behind that.

Awakening is for sale for 20$ digitally this Black Friday so if want the game pick it up this week. My personal advice is take advantage of this sale and pick up Conquest when you got cash again (then the other routes after it).

If you only ever plan to play one of these games or digital copies of games make you puke out your insides, then yeah just go for Fates: Conquest it's the better game by a longshot at least for me, that being said awakening is on sale it's so a no-brainer. Now I think you mentioned that you were find a by conquest and another path it was case that means you have $60 and spent it which case I suggest you buy Awakening on sale and buy a physical copy of Fates: Conquest (because if you buy these games digitally they will each your SD card space like nothing else as the other two paths are for the most part on the cart already) best of both worlds.

If you plan to play Awakening eventually I'd suggest you play it before Fates. Fates fixes a lot of mechanical flaws that might make Awakenings gameplay seem like downgrade if you play it after Fates.

I agree with this.

Is the grinding that tedious compared to Fates?

Yes!

I actually find Fates easier with minimal/no grinding. I find the game (especially Conquest) becomes unbalanced quickly with grinding. It does make the earlier chapters really challenging, but not too frustrating.

Awakening.

There's the eShop deal, it is better at introducing you to the new concepts and mechanics. There's little chance you'll pedal back to FE13 if you get FE14. Awakening has good cool characters, awesome music and the experience is fresh and more touching than Fates.

Why don't you? For instance, I don't see why magic had to be fused in a single triangle. Why don't they leave each triangle separately? Or why don't they do a triple triangle:

T1: Swords > Axes > Lances > Swords

T2: Bows > Knives > New Weapon > Bows

T3: Anima > Light > Dark > Anima

And finally T1 > T2 > T3 > T1