Looking for feedback

Tuvy2

I'm looking for feedback on my sprites.

post-24829-0-11778700-1479829834_thumb.png

Names (Going from left to right to the bottom)

Cruz (Priest)

Zander (Cavalier)

Noah (Mage)

Tyler (Thief)
Ben (Shaman)

Max (Archer Lord)
? (?)

Wheatley (Cavalier or Knight)

Edited by Tuvy2

All first tries, and my brother made Max, ?, and Cruz.

Wheatley was a challenge I did for myself, splice of

Alan

Trec

Noah (FE6)

Lance

Oswin

Edited by Tuvy2

Here are some general portrait tips:
Your background (the greenish color) actually has two tones. Here's where the extra one is:

e668d387a2.png

Next, you should keep your color choices consistent. A good beginner strategy is to pick colors from one of the three GBAFE games and don't mix in colors from the other two. A good example of where this is evident is the outline on some of these, with some having mixes of FE8 and FE7 colors.

Also, on the topic of outlines, you should ensure that they outline the entire portrait. Cruz, for example, is missing some outlining on his neck.

Another thing to keep in mind is that GBAFE portraits need to have 16 colors or less; they must have one color reserved for the background (called the transparent color) and 15 that are free-to-use. A lot of these have more than that. You have stray colors, probably left over from recoloring, left in places such as Cruz' hair and Zander's face. It's a good practice to double-check your colors in a program like GIMP by selectively removing colors one at a time using the Select by Color Tool with a threshold of 0:

e5c222266d.png

See, there are some random colors in there.

Edited by Zane Avernathy

They're not bad, but they're not perfect either. The first one isn't that good, but the rest of them look good.

Can you please give tell me about the second one? I am mainly looking for criticism on that one : ]

Can you please give tell me about the second one? I am mainly looking for criticism on that one : ]

The second one looks cool. The only problem I find in that one is a bit of the shadow from the forehead, nothing 2 bad.

The out edges of the hair also look very blocky. An easy fix to this is to erase the outer border of the hair. Then you take another character's hair, erase the interior (close to where it touches the face) and then merge the two layers.

Heres the updated picture:

(I know I didn't fix the different colors of green and some of them probably have more than 15 colors)

post-21071-0-64548000-1480695272_thumb.png

Edited by Tuvy

Are you looking to be able to use these in an actual game? If so, you need to decide on a color palette to use. It looks like you took the advice of taking colors from the preexisting sprites, but you should try to stick to a single game. Merlinus body, Purple hair, and Helmet guy all have SS colors, but everyone else looks like they're from 6/7.

Another thing you've neglected that's easy to fix is shading in some parts. The guy in the top left has a cape that goes over his shoulder, but the outline of the cape touches the lightest skin tone. You need to shade it like you would the place where the hair touches the face, so that it looks like it casts a bit of a shadow. You should also apply this to Helmet girl. There's no transition from the shadow cast by her helmet to the lightest skin tone.

The scar on the face of the guy in the middle looks pretty bad. Look at characters like Gerik or Uther for an example of how scars should look.

EDIT: Or is that not a scar? You gave purple hair guy a decent looking scar.

One last important thing you need to pay attention to is the shape of the skull. This is a trap I fell into when I was first starting out. If you're taking a face, and applying a new hair style to it, you need to pay attention to the shape of the head underneath it. Most of yours are fine in this area, but Green hood guy has it real bad. Look at the position of the back of the hood in relation to his face. It looks like the back of his head has caved in. It also applies to helmet guy. The way his head is positioned, there's no way the helmet should be standing straight up.

Edited by Zelkami