Gimping Xander's defense

UNLEASH IT

So I've been running into a problem where, due to them doing zero damage, physical enemies outright refuse to attack Xander and just dance around him. This throws a major wrench into my stonewalling plan. I'm looking for a way to gimp his defense a little so enemies will attack him. However, I don't really want to come out of Paladin because it's a really good class and the extra movement is nice.

Would Life or Death be a good skill for Xander? I'm thinking that it would solve a lot of my problems.

Kodachi can fill in for it, since Xander doesn't double anyway. Both Conquest and Revelations have access to it, though Conquest's was in an earlier chapter.

I'm dumping all my speedwings into him while pairing him up with Charlotte. I very much intend on him to double after all that.

There's not a lot of ways to do that but make Ninja throw their shuriken to Xander and hit him without them dying and Xander counterattacking. So you're kind of stuck with either using Blessed Lance or Brave Lance. Otherwise the last thing to do is edit your savefile and edit Xander's DEF stats.

If enemies are failing to even damage Xander, you can probably use someone else (Leo with lots of +spd, Camilla with lots of +mag or even +str, Corrin, etc.) to carve through them instead. Send Xander against the enemies with higher attack.

How did he even got so much defense? I have done runs in where I paired him with Charlotte, have him get +2 from meals and Rally Defense him and he still managed to draw a lot of fire to him. (namely I dumped him on the middle of second floor of the wall in chapter 23).

There's not a lot of ways to do that but make Ninja throw their shuriken to Xander and hit him without them dying and Xander counterattacking. So you're kind of stuck with either using Blessed Lance or Brave Lance. Otherwise the last thing to do is edit your savefile and edit Xander's DEF stats.

Shurikens debuff on hit even if the attacker dies. You're thinking seal skills. But even then... that's usually a max of -4 with Steel/Silver Shurikens.

Trade his sword with a partner so he doesn't get the Def boost with it being in his inventory. Get a ninja to attack him with that. Then you can choose to trade back the Def boosting sword.

Edited by shadowofchaos

This is a consistent ironic problem of his. Even un-rallied and un-aura'd physical enemies barely touch him. Honestly what I wound up doing was use this to my advantage, having him basically act as a stealth tank. I paired him up with Selena for Falcon Knight speed and res bonuses and had him alternately bait mages with his now-reasonable resistance and pick away at enemies in advance from behind their lines, taking out status staff users and the like.

Shurikens debuff on hit even if the attacker dies. You're thinking seal skills. But even then... that's usually a max of -4 with Steel/Silver Shurikens.

Trade his sword with a partner so he doesn't get the Def boost with it being in his inventory. Get a ninja to attack him with that. Then you can choose to trade back the Def boosting sword.

Oh yeah I forgot about seal skills. I guess I assumed he was doing Conquest which is why I said what I posted cause the AIs in Conquest are a little different. At least from what I've seen in my Conquest runs. And I also forgot you can do that too where you trade stuff around as Shadowofchaos mentioned lol. Never liked doing that but that really works and is pretty useful.

Honestly? If you're not above becoming a Dark Knight, that could work. You lose defense, but he'll probably never double without tonics and pair up bonuses. You do get Lifetaker though. I remember doing that on a playthrough to stop the defense problem from happening.

Edited by Augestein

Honestly? If you're not above becoming a Dark Knight, that could work. You lose defense, but he'll probably never double without tonics and pair up bonuses. You do get Lifetaker though. I remember doing that on a playthrough to stop the defense problem from happening.

Dark Knight has more defense than Paladin. Hell, it has the same Str and HP too, it only loses 2 Spd, 1 Skl and 1 Lck and he'll get better growths in HP, Str and Def while it's at it too.

Why the hell did they made Dark Knight more of a physical class is beyond me.

B-but muh movement. What about Bow Knight? That sounds pretty good.

Bow Knight's your best shot, even if Rally Skill is meh on Xander. For absolute paper defenses, he'd have to go Kinshi Knight, but that class can't wield swords (but Xander DOES have some innate lance rank).

Dark Knight has more defense than Paladin. Hell, it has the same Str and HP too, it only loses 2 Spd, 1 Skl and 1 Lck and he'll get better growths in HP, Str and Def while it's at it too.

Why the hell did they made Dark Knight more of a physical class is beyond me.

True enough. I wonder if my Xander just got defense screwed, because I remember distinctly using this and having no problems with it.

Oh yeah I forgot about seal skills. I guess I assumed he was doing Conquest which is why I said what I posted cause the AIs in Conquest are a little different. At least from what I've seen in my Conquest runs. And I also forgot you can do that too where you trade stuff around as Shadowofchaos mentioned lol. Never liked doing that but that really works and is pretty useful.

That's a fair assumption to make since that AI is what does so.

What I mean is that ninjas debuff you even if they die if the shuriken hits.