Shipping Survey

twistedxgrace

I decided to create a survey out of spite to see what first-generation pairs in Awakening are peoples' favorites. I know the hype for this game has died down, but I'm still very curious. You can take it here: https://goo.gl/forms/wVO8FrU1ew1avT6E2

Posting comments on why you voted a certain character is optional, but encouraged. Notice how I word the questions as well; you can vote for non-canon ships homo or heterosexual if you select "other."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're better off posting this kind of thing on Tumblr. We have our pairing discussions and preferences here... but other than the vocal few members who are known for their pairing... ahem... enthusiasm... I don't think you're going to get a good sample size here unless the topic gets pinned or gets put on the serenes mainsite.

You're better off posting this kind of thing on Tumblr. We have our pairing discussions and preferences here... but other than the vocal few members who are known for their pairing... ahem... enthusiasm... I don't think you're going to get a good sample size here unless the topic gets pinned or gets put on the serenes mainsite.

I've already posted this to Tumblr as well.

Edited by twistedxgrace

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Kirie, November 29, 2016 - double post
Hidden by Kirie, November 29, 2016 - double post

I decided to create a survey out of spite

That's a strange reason to make a survey...

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, mobile is strange sometimes.

Edited by MissShake

I did heavy research in my pairings before I played Awakening so I am very happy to do this survey.

I try not to be too vocal about my pairings the majority of the time, because I don't want to tell people how to play the game (unless their my friend that I see in person all the time). But I admit I will always be moderately vocal for Robin and Chrom, because Awakening has a flimsy ass story, and Robin and Chrom as a couple really help give some structure to its already weak story.

But I admit I will always be moderately vocal for Robin and Chrom, because Awakening has a flimsy ass story, and Robin and Chrom as a couple really help give some structure to its already weak story.

On the flipside, being one of the major FE Youtubers of Awakening... When I don't agree with that, I get a lot of flak.

The self-insert shippers of that pairing are most notorious for being insecure of people's preferences. What I mean is that most people that I've met in real life or this forum are pretty chill about it even making jokes via Matt Mercer judging someone asking to sign their Chrom body pillow... it doesn't change that out of all the waifu/husbando culture pairings... I've had the most crap flung at me for what arguably is the least important aspect of a Fire Emblem game.

The extreme ones (heck there's even one in this forum) either hate Sumia and/or attempt to justify gameplay laughably for that pair.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I don't really have an opinion on most ships other than Chrom/Olivia, which reeks of horrid execution. Seriously, shoehorning Olivia into the chapter that Chrom MUST marry after was a horrible idea.

I don't really have an opinion on most ships other than Chrom/Olivia, which reeks of horrid execution. Seriously, shoehorning Olivia into the chapter that Chrom MUST marry after was a horrible idea.

I really like their supports, but the fact that the actual marriage is so rushed and that Inigo is said to have the Brand while the other possible second kids of Chrom aren't (this is just really unfair to me ok I can get over shit like the Deeprealms but not this) doesn't make it a favorite of mine, either. It is one of the highest rated Olivia spouses in the survey alongside Henry, though, and I'm getting the impression that it's because people like "Prince" Inigo so much, which I've already come to terms with while looking at fan works, but I love Inigo/Laslow no matter who his father is; he doesn't have to be royalty to be likable. If I were to take this survey myself, I'd be answering "no preference" to a lot of the questions because I care more about for who the kids are as characters than who their entire families are. "Then why did you make this survey, then?" Because I know people do have their preferred pairings, even if it's just a few like me, and I am very very curious to know what they are and why.

The only ships I have real opinions on are my top favorite pairs (Chrom x Olivia, Freddy x Robin, Stahl x Cordelia (good to see at least ONE of my OTPs is the most popular choice here. :P), Lon'qu x Cherche, and Donnel x Lissa) and Chrom x Robin, Frederick x Sumia/Lissa/Maribelle (though more so Lissa since she and Freddy have more of a relationship overall).

I actually like Freddy with a majority of women in this game, he's such a wonderful charmer. <3 (Freddy fangirl here!) But I don't like Cynthia much and I despise Sumia, and I found her supports with Frederick pretty boring aside from the S support ironically. And Lissa and Maribelle with him is downright creepy imo. Lissa is confirmed to be 14/16 in this game and Maribelle is most likely of similar age. I don't care what the standards were in medieval times, Frederick has to be at least in his mid to late twenties and that's just a big NO for me.

Chrom x Robin is my most despised pair in the game period though. Partly due to the fanbase, and partly due to the supports being completely stupid for a romance to come out of, although funny. Any main game interactions between them I don't take into account because they're the exact same for the male Robin who Chrom obviously can't marry. The Chrom x Robin fanboys/girls tend to be really annoying and claim that it's 100% canon and every other Chrom or Robin pairing is wrong. Robin can marry Frederick or another man if she damn well wants.

Edited by Anacybele

I really like their supports, but the fact that the actual marriage is so rushed and that Inigo is said to have the Brand while the other possible second kids of Chrom aren't (this is just really unfair to me ok I can get over shit like the Deeprealms but not this) doesn't make it a favorite of mine, either. It is one of the highest rated Olivia spouses in the survey alongside Henry, though, and I'm getting the impression that it's because people like "Prince" Inigo so much, which I've already come to terms with while looking at fan works, but I love Inigo/Laslow no matter who his father is; he doesn't have to be royalty to be likable. If I were to take this survey myself, I'd be answering "no preference" to a lot of the questions because I care more about for who the kids are as characters than who their entire families are. "Then why did you make this survey, then?" Because I know people do have their preferred pairings, even if it's just a few like me, and I am very very curious to know what they are and why.

Speaking of, while the A was pretty decent, that's something I couldn't say about what came before - the C and B looked much too dumb to imagine turning to romance, if you ask me. It doesn't help that I find Olivia's supports with other guys good to excellent for the most part.

On the flipside, being one of the major FE Youtubers of Awakening... When I don't agree with that, I get a lot of flak.

The self-insert shippers of that pairing are most notorious for being insecure of people's preferences. What I mean is that most people that I've met in real life or this forum are pretty chill about it even making jokes via Matt Mercer judging someone asking to sign their Chrom body pillow... it doesn't change that out of all the waifu/husbando culture pairings... I've had the most crap flung at me for what arguably is the least important aspect of a Fire Emblem game.

The extreme ones (heck there's even one in this forum) either hate Sumia and/or attempt to justify gameplay laughably for that pair.

Oh well personally, every time I play Awakening I play as "Robin", I make her look like how she does in Smash Bros and I treat her like every other character and not an avatar. She's sorta one of my favourite FE characters and it's an odd concept for me to think about the fact that she's not even in a lot of people's playthroughs of Awakening. I really like male Robin and all, but there's so many things I love about female Robin, her personally and the fact that she's a badass mother who would do anything for her family. That's how I see her and I love her for it!

So yeah... in short I don't own a Chrom body pillow.... I like Chrom and all, but not in that way.

And personally I do hate Chrom and Sumia together, I generally hate it when Fire Emblem has a bunch of different marriage options but then they push one and people go with it because they say it's "canon" (I'm looking at you Eliwood and Ninan! You two are sure as hell NEVER canon in my playthroughs or my mind!).

But a big difference between Eliwood and Ninan vs Chrom and Sumia, beside the fact that I fucking hate Ninan and still really like Sumia, is that I don't mind Chrom and Sumia as much when someone is playing as male Robin, because Lucina has to have a mother and if female Robin isn't around then it'll have to be someone!? Though due to my preferences and the fact that I hate forced pairings when there's other options out there, I encourage people to explore the non-Sumia options for Chrom, but I won't fight you.

Oh and random, but for male Robin I think I like him and Anna together, I haven't checked out their supports yet, but I like the idea of them together.

I believe I posted something like...

Chrom x Olivia, Lissa x Libra, Maribelle x Virion, Sumia x Henry, Tharja x Gaius, Sully x Donnel, Nowi x Vaike, Cordelia x Virion, Miriel x Gregor, no preference on Panne, and Cherche x Robin. As far as FRobin, I usually pair her with Cherche or Lon'qu.

beside the fact that I fucking hate Ninan and still really like Sumia

I'm guessing you don't realize who you're talking to.

Also, while IS never really does solidify anything... they do hint at pairs.

Especially in other media. FE7 has the FE7 Novels in Japanese that have Eliwood x Ninian, Hector x Florina, etc.

I mean, a work of fiction generally has characters develop relationships that are close. Authors sometimes have something in mind preferential to those characters and those characters they get close to. It's when it gets turned into a game when those get given options.

I personally think that while everyone has their own preferences... getting worked up over pairings in Fire Emblem and complaining about hints or the lack thereof shows a lack of maturity with it. I mean, goodness, people get offended at the notion of two characters kissing/having sex or not kissing/having sex.

It gets even worse when people have a potential self-insert. As their own likes get brought to a whole new level when it's "Me x Character". Possessiveness and fantasy in that the character they like that will never betray them. A lie that comforts and you can delude yourself in as long as you're willing to.

I say the last part as a person who was from the other side of Waifuism and Husbando culture.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I hate that IS hints at pairs sometimes when the games actually give multiple options. It feels like a slap in the face to people who prefer the pairs that aren't hinted and if IS wants to go for a certain pairing more, why not just make it the ONLY pair possible, like with Pent and Louise or Bartre and Karla? What's the point in other options if you want couple X to be the canon one?

I always assumed that those FE7 novels were unofficial things though, and not the definitive canon.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm guessing you don't realize who you're talking to.

I personally think that while everyone has their own preferences... getting worked up over pairings in Fire Emblem and complaining about hints or the lack thereof shows a lack of maturity with it. I mean, goodness, people get offended at the notion of two characters kissing/having sex or not kissing/having sex.

It gets even worse when people have a potential self-insert. As their own likes get brought to a whole new level when it's "Me x Character". Possessiveness and fantasy in that the character they like that will never betray them. A lie that comforts and you can delude yourself in as long as you're willing to.

I say the last part as a person who was from the other side of Waifuism and Husbando culture.

I don't actually really know who you are... I'm sorry... was I suppose to? :(

There aren't many Fire Emblem characters I actually hate, the only two I can think of are Ninan and Shinon. And for Ninan the only time I have actually ever liked her was at the end when she doesn't marry Eliwood and instead takes some responsibility instead of causing everyone problems and making people feel sorry for her while never doing anything to solve said problems. So I was pretty horrified when I found out that when she A-supports Eliwood she pretty much ditches her wonderful brother instead of being the responsible older sister and setting things right. That's my analysis of Ninan, if you like them together then I'm not gonna beat you in the streets or something, if that's the what the shipping wars is like.

I'm not that kinda person.

I'm just going to blissfully play through the Fire Emblem games how I like to, and IS gave me the option to erase Eliwood and Ninan from my canon, so I will happily do that.

I hate that IS hints at pairs sometimes when the games actually give multiple options. It feels like a slap in the face to people who prefer the pairs that aren't hinted and if IS wants to go for a certain pairing more, why not just make it the ONLY pair possible, like with Pent and Louise or Bartre and Karla? What's the point in other options if you want couple X to be the canon one?

I always assumed that those FE7 novels were unofficial things though, and not the definitive canon.

Yes, I agree with this completely. I mean, I love Marth and Caeda as a couple because it's absolutely fine for IS to have a strictly "no one else" kinda thing every now and then. Like, if they really want to push a certain couple, make them a, "these two or nothing" sorta thing.

All I'm gonna say is that when I finished Blazing Sword, Eliwood did not marry Ninan, and I'm happy that that's what happened. If they got together in your playthrough and you wanted that then good for you, but it's just not for me.

Edited by PersonWithTime

I just gave the most unhelpful answers to that survey. It wasn't out of spite, it's because I pair people based on what I need in-game.

Yes, I agree with this completely. I mean, I love Marth and Caeda as a couple because it's absolutely fine for IS to have a strictly "no one else" kinda thing every now and then. Like, if they really want to push a certain couple, make them a, "these two or nothing" sorta thing.

All I'm gonna say is that when I finished Blazing Sword, Eliwood did not marry Ninan, and I'm happy that that's what happened. If they got together in your playthrough and you wanted that then good for you, but it's just not for me.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, I don't actually care for any of Eliwood's possible pairings. I only go with him and Ninian because I really like Fiora and Lyn with other guys much more (Sain and Hector, respectively). Well, I would if I ever bothered to get supports in the GBA games. It just takes way too damn long. But I still don't ever approve of pushing one pairing more if there are other options.

Heck, I don't like what RD did either, and gave each character who could marry someone only ONE option when at least a few characters really had multiple viable options (even though at the same time, it does let me avoid the several doable pairs that I dislike).

Edited by Anacybele