Shipping Survey

twistedxgrace

I honestly think it would, I definitely agree with you there. Take a look at the same sex supports in Awakening and Fates. The quality of them tends to be much better than the male x female ones because the characters that talk in those actually have a reason to approach one another. Fates is especially bad because there are several C supports that essentially boil down to this:

Guy A: Hey B! How are you?

B: I'm doing pretty great! How are you?

Guy A: Can't complain! Hey, I've been meaning to ask you about that one story.

B: Oh you mean that one story? Yeah, I'd love to explain that to you, but not right now. Maybe next support.

Guy A: Okay! I'll hold you to it!

With some many of those generic formats for C rank supports, I'm inclined to believe that they didn't have enough conversations for even C-A for some characters but had to do it on the account of the mechanics for marriage.

Pretty much, and that's why it needs to change. I'm not against shipping per se, but when it affects the quality of the writing, then it becomes a problem. People already know about my issues with Fates, so I won't go into any great detail, but it really did reach a breaking point in that game with characters like Setsuna, whose supports I believe literally all focus on her and her tendency to end up in holes. At that point, she ceases to even be a character, and is just there as shipping fodder.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drat, the survey is over? Apparently 2nd gen wasn't a part of it? Oh well, I'll make do.

I consider things like backstory, endings, if and how the characters knew each other, etc. The supports play an important part, but they aren't the deciding factor. Also, for many characters I have a few good candidates, and my ideal pairing run may come at the expense of some other good pairings that I like. For example, two characters have their best supports shared with one character. Sacrifices to Grima must be made.

Chrom X Maiden.

While I like Chrom, and Sumia, together as well I might add but I think it's best that Chrom marries the Maiden for two reasons. Lucina's mother is barely involved in the story/family in a meaningful way, not to mention a brother or sister also being mostly ignored. Maiden can't fight/train Lucina/save the world? Then I can understand Lucina being really attached to Chrom. She would have spent more time with him, and he is a key player in defeating Grima. Reason number two is that I get more options with pairings. Third reason being added right now: I don't think Chrom has great marriage/female supports overall.

Stahl X Cordelia.

The supports are adorable. Stahl and Cordelia are similar, yet dissimilar at the same time. Stahl worked so hard to get Cordelia's attention/friendship/love, which is just the kind of person someone lovelorn like Cordelia needs. With Cordelia being essentially burdened by her excessive talent and drive to do everything, I think Stahl is the perfect guy to lean on if she were to burn herself out. He is very supportive AND perceptive. Stahl would make sure Cordelia doesn't implode from her own troubles, and Cordelia would push him to new heights. I find them both relatively down-to-earth. Also, music is very important to me, and seeing both of them look forward to playing together so much really warms the heart. I probably could say a lot more about these two, it's one of my favorites.

Sully X Gregor.

Hothead meets someone who'll just laugh off her legendary temper. Sully loves sparring, and Gregor is quite the challenge. They'll keep each other sharp. A very fun(ny) support.

Virion X Cherche.

The understanding and care they have for each other, even before the romance. Cherche doesn't put up with Virion's flirtatious personality, but knows the man behind the mask. Also, they are both very smart and clever people, I believe they will lead Rosanne very well.

Maribelle X Ricken.

Ricken's desperate attempt to save Maribelle, the promise to build up his family's name again, the ease in each other's company, etc. These two seem like friends from the get-go, which is more than likely seeing as the nobility would have had various gatherings and whatnot in the past.

Lon'qu X Olivia.

Again, the past plays a big part in this. While it's not that romantic, we do get to see the two at their least awkward. And Lon'qu doesn't seem to be forced into a relationship this time.

Donnel X Tharja.

The farm boy doesn't seem to annoy Tharja nearly as much as the other guys, and Tharja takes the first step and genuinely wants to tie the knot for once, albeit for somewhat twisted reasons (but when are they not?). Donnel wasn't out of his element, and Tharja wasn't a jerk. It's a win-win in my book.

Lissa X Frederick.

I dunno, I find these two funny when put together. The first crush thing was kinda cute too, I guess. Now that Frederick is family, Chrom will never catch a break.

Vaike X Nowi.

Vaike being a super nice guy to Nowi. What a lively couple those two make, it makes sense why Nah would be so exasperated.

Miriel X Gaius.

Two characters I don't like as much as most of the others. Sadly, I find that Miriel has poor supports, and the one with Gaius was one of her acceptable ones. Which is convenient for me, seeing as I get the best out of the worst.

Sumia X Henri.

I really like Sumia and Henri, but Sumia has poor supports so I had to throw Henri her way as a last resort. I'm sure they are fine happy. Truthfully, it was a weird but cute support.

Libra X Panne.

Again, I like these two a lot, but better candidates for them were already shipped. The leftovers :(

I feel like I'm missing one character, but there is no one left to pair... Said character must've been very forgettable indeed...

Also, I would usually ship Robin with Noire, but since that's not available, I'll go with Emmeryn. The Fire Emblem gods are cruel indeed, giving us Spotpass characters that would have been better off dead yet also giving them some of the best supports.

Sorry for being so cheesy.

Edited by Slyfox

chrom x sumia

b/c "canon" and it's a waste of chrom to not pair him with the best first gen lead unit

mu x lissa

lissa is a good pair up partner for the mu in the early game to boost this damage output with tomes. f!morgan makes too much sense as their kid, combining tactics and pranks. owain can live his dream of being an awesome sword tome hybrid warrior, not to mention he has a "fell hand" in fates lol

cordelia x lon'qu

literally can't imagine anyone else as severa's father, gives her the best hair, best stats, swordfaire, wyvern lord, and personalities fit.

maribelle x henry

sages suck (visually), war monk brady is where it is

Drat, the survey is over? Apparently 2nd gen wasn't a part of it? Oh well, I'll make do.

I'm sorry, but I decided I couldn't let entries be submitted forever because some people were very interested in actually seeing the results. You can view them here; thank you for contributing to this topic nonetheless! I love seeing what pairs people prefer and why!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have to make a tiny edit to my list.

Kellam X Panne, which leaves poor Libra all alone :(

While I do think Kellam's gimmick is overused, and I HATE his endings, his support with Panne is too good to pass up. The gimmick gets one mention, and it wasn't even used. Kellam being his usual helpful, stoic self, despite his fear. Panne constantly warning him about bodily harm, but actually enjoying being challenged to a duel. She was nicer than usual too. I'll suffer the paired ending because the support is that good.

As for Libra, he's a character who is just kind of "there", both in terms of personality and story relevance. I'm fine with him staying alone, it suits him, and the orphanage ending is a nice one.

• 1 year later...