1. 1. Best Pokemon Generation?

• Gen Wun: Red, Blue, Yellow
    • Gen Two: Gold, Silver, Crystal
    • Gen Three: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green
    • Gen Four: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver
    • Gen Five: Black, White, B2, W2
    • Gen Six: X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
    • Gen Seven: Sun, Moon

This is a mini rant on Gen VII, but it's more a discussion of the Generations in general, so I didn't want to go too off topic elsewhere.

I'm still not finished with Sun, but I honestly think it's a step down from Gen 6. Playing XY, the bottom screen features made Pokemon feel like you were really interacting with everyone else playing out there. You could pass O-Powers and engage in battles with friends and random people. In Sun/Moon you feel much more isolated. That dumb tent thing is something you have to go out of your way to really use and I've only interacted with one other person playing Pokemon: my spouse to do some trade evolutions, and I had to figure out how to trade. XY was much more intuitive.

Gen VI really competes for my title of favorite gen. It did so many things right, but still had many head scratchers, like the absolute lack of post-game. I was hoping Gen VII could swoop in and fix everything, but really, I think it was a step back in quality. Everything Gen VII does well, Gen VI did better, to be honest.

I guess Gen III will keep being my favorite, for now, with the GameCube games giving it that push to come out on top.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gen 7 with Gen 6's UI (I love PSS) would be my ideal game.

Though I don't like how linear the newer games seem to be.

Yeah, I like Gen VII's story so far as well as its new changes. It's all the stuff it took away that perplexes me.

It would be so easy to keep all the good things from Gen VI, but they didn't. Like why are there less clothing and hair options in Gen VII than Gen VI?

Gen 5 is still my favorite. BW is very fun to play, and B2W2 is even better. It has so much to do, and it never gets boring.

Back onto talking about Gen 7, from a gameplay perspective (aside from it being linear, which is a big problem), it's probably the most solid we've had yet. the totems have actual strategies that can ruin you *cough cough Lurantis cough cough*, and the bosses, while not the best, are at least on par with older games. I don't mind the UI change, since I already pressed X in Gen 6 to open the menu rather than pressing the buttons, and I honestly like the mini-map a lot.

People have already talked about the amount of Pokemon a lot on the other thread, so I won't touch it besides saying I don't mind it. I do mind the massive amount of Gen 1 Pokemon, but honestly Gens 3, 4 and 6 don't need too much rep. 3 and 6 just got their spotlight, and 4 is probably getting a remake. 5 also has some more urban Pokemon, which doesn't really fit Alola.

Gen 2 needed more reps over Gen 1 though.

In terms of connecting with other people, Gen 6 had it down pretty well with the PSS, yeah, but honestly I personally never got much out of it aside from Wonder Trading. I guess I just don't really care about that personally, and I never shared O-Powers with anyone but the few friends I possibly had online. Although Festival Plaza is really weird, and I don't understand it at all yet (HOW DO I GET NEW STUFF), it can hopefully be improved upon to make it better than Gen 5's Join Avenue, rather than a meh attempt at recreating it. It has everything it needs to be good with it's features and accessibility, but it lacks any form of direction.

It also has Missions and Global Missions, which are both really cool ideas.

EDIT: Reading about it on Serebii, it actually has an AMAZING amount of potential! It's just that the lack of explanation that holds it back. I REALLY recommend you go read it. It explains a ton of things about it and makes it actually usable and understandable. http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/festivalplaza.shtml

I feel like that's Pokemon's thing though. They always manage to take away cool stuff.

...walking Pokemon when?

I hope people stop with the walking Pokemon thing. It's really getting on my nerves.

While the feature was great, it's very hard to implement now, especially with the game no longer being grid based and more detailed.

Plus, with the models of Pokemon being more correctly proportionate, it's just a hassle for the devs.

Saw Gen III. Instantly cast vote.

I feel Hoenn/New Kanto was were Pokemon really shined. There weren't these gimmicks that got in the way (other than the HMs, of course), I think it had the perfect amount of Pokemon to catch, visuals were great...pure perfection in my opinion.

I can't believe this is even a question. The answer is, quite obviously, Generation 1. Let's take a look at the things that Generation 1 did 500x better than all of the others combined.

1) Just the right number of Pokemon. There are almost 800 Pokemon now, which is insane. I can't keep track of all of these newfangled creatures, and I shouldn't have too either.

2) Quality over quantity. As said above, there are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many new Pokemon, and most of them suck to boot! A lot of them are ripoffs of the original 151 Pokemon (do we REALLY need a rodent and a birb in every single game?), and the ones that aren't just suck (oh boy, an ice cream cone and snowflake Pokemon). Really makes me miss the good old days, when we had simplistic but ingenius designs such as Voltorb (designed to replicate the mimics of old school RPGs, seriously it's actually not a bad design when you think of it like this), Seal, and Grimer. First they ran out of colours, then they ran out of good Pokemon designs smh.

3) The games have become too overcomplicated. Abilities, Natures, shinies, personalities, breeding, egg moves, Super Training, Hyper Training, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA get it out of my games! I don't play video games as a substitute for my remedial math class, I play them to actually have a good time. In the first gen, if you wanted to play a friend, all you had to do was catch a Pokemon with good stats, level it up to 100 by having it fight a bunch of things, teach it Body Slam, and you could call it a day. Now I have to deal with all of this bullshit as well? No thanks.

4) Even GameFreak acknowledges that Gen 1 was the best. That's why Pokemon Go only has Gen 1 Pokemon and why XY pandered to Generation 1 fans so much. It's also why all of the Alolan Pokemon are from Kanto only, because they knew that they should be picking from the very best of the crop.

In conclusion, they'll never make a Pokemon game as good as the original and they should just stop trying. Oh, and while I'm preaching the truth: The already lame anime was ruined even further by Ash's redesign, the best Pokemon game is actually Pokemon Puzzle League, and they should stop adding all of these lame new Pokemon into Smash Bros. already.

[spoiler=Sun/Moon Ending Spoilers]

No wonder Lilie wanted to go to Kanto.

My favorite is gen 5! I loved the characters, Pokemon designs, story, and soundtrack. B/W 2 was pretty much the perfect game for me, and most of my favorite Pokemon are from gen 5. It's not a popular opinion, but I also liked how there were only new Pokemon in B/W.

I'm still not finished with Sun, but I honestly think it's a step down from Gen 6. Playing XY, the bottom screen features made Pokemon feel like you were really interacting with everyone else playing out there. You could pass O-Powers and engage in battles with friends and random people. In Sun/Moon you feel much more isolated. That dumb tent thing is something you have to go out of your way to really use and I've only interacted with one other person playing Pokemon: my spouse to do some trade evolutions, and I had to figure out how to trade. XY was much more intuitive.

Tbh that's how I felt while playing through the game too. I didn't actually use the bottom screen features much during my first playthrough of X (except for PokeAmie), but I liked how you didn't have to magically warp to another place to do all the interaction stuff. I miss the PSS and Super Training in gen 7. Also, I usually like using the new Pokemans of every gen on my team, but this time I had to struggle to find ones I actually liked. That said, I think the story and gameplay are kinda a step up in S/M compared to X/Y. I didn't feel like my hand was held too much, but maybe that's because of the type disadvantage I had. I liked most of the prominent characters. Namely Lillie, Gladion, Team Skull, and also the ghost girl.

also also, i'm still pissed at version exclusive clothing. x/y gets a higher score from me any day just for the cute clothes.

ps i love you @refa

My favorite generation is Gen 4. I do admit there are flaws like SLOW AS FUCK HP BARS. However, it included some of my favorite storylines and features.

It introduced the long missed WALKING WITH POKEMON. It also introduced the customizable Capsule Balls to flare up releasing your Pokemon into battle. HG/SS had one of the better bottom screens with an auto-run feature and you can pick-up calls. We also got to see Apricot Balls in nicer quality.

You can thank Gen 4 for the Physical/Special split, so more Pokemon became viable (or unviable :c... but more definitely became viable). Generation 4 was also the last game to include 12 YEAR OLD GAMBLING. Finally, Gen 4 soundtrack primarily utilized the piano, which is really pretty. They managed to use different tones to their fullest. Super ominous with Arceus, yet you get really light themes like Route 209.

Oh I almost forgot, you have CYNTHIA as a champion. Really cool lady that delves deep into the history and mythos of Sinnoh. She's absolutely way more qualified to be champion than that 12 year old you fight at the start of your adventure in Generation 1.

tl;dr Gen 4 is the best gen, I'm totally not bias

Edited by Jiegg

Haven't played 5 or 7.

Gen 3 was my favourite for years. I didn't play Ruby/Sapphire, but Emerald was great. A solid set of pokemon options, a lot of polish improvements over gen 1 and 2, and just as a singleplayer game I still feel it had the best boss fights in the series; they have competent AI and interesting designs. (One of the most disappointing things about OR/AS was that they screwed these up.) And then there was Fire Red/Leaf Green, which takes all the good points of gen 1 and injects it into a system with a good interface and non-buggy mechanics. Gen 3 was also in a sweet spot for competitive play, I think, after they fixed some of the mechanical wonkiness of gen 1 and stall focus of gen 2, but before Stealth Rock ruined typing balance forever and fights became too blitz-oriented. (Disclaimer: haven't kept up with competitive much past gen 4, but I gather it still has these problems.)

I did enjoy X/Y too, though, enough to also cast a vote for it. For me, having access to, what, 400 (?) pokemon was a great feeling and I felt that random trainers were more consistently decent opponents than they were in previous games (I had more trouble with many of them than the gym leaders... which doesn't say good things about the gym leaders, but oh well). OR/AS I found a bit disappointing, though, which is surprising considering that on paper it should have combined my two favourite gens together, in effect.

This was a hard one for me, but I went with Gen 4. While I love Gen 3, and the Hoenn games are my favourite (WHY NO BATTLE FRONTIER IN THE REMAKES THOUGH! You where so close to being perfect!) Overall I feel like Gen 4 was the best. Platinum I think is the best Pokemon game, and Sinnoh in general I feel was made for more experienced players, and the Johto remakes are the best Pokemon remakes yet, hell the Johto remakes may even be the best remake in general I've ever played yet. Plus I feel filling out the National Dex is much easier then it was in Gen 3 because you have easy access to every region at that point.

Though I do think the first 5 generations were fantastic, Gen 6-still amazing but damn there are some noticeable issues. Like, not making the Hoenn remakes perfect when they added so many great features for it, it's like 95% perfect for me though. Not updating X and Y to include the new Mega Evolution was stupid, Game Freak why are you dating your games a year after they come out? And I personally would have liked a Z versions, but those are my only real complaints about Gen 6.

I would have loved Trainer customization in the Hoenn remakes, where there's special options like May and Brenden hair and maybe even their outfits from R/S as well as Emerald, but that's just being super nitpick. Delta Episode is a dream come true!

I don't have Sun and Moon yet but they look really promising to me. They kept Mega Evolution which is good because I thought Game Freak was going to get rid of them for a while there. I'm excited to get them!

I started off with gens 3 and 4, but 5 has a special place in my heart (largely due to the magnificent soundtrack and deeper story). 6 seemed like a step back to me, and I found myself unable to enjoy either.

Haven't played 7 and don't intend to, it seems to continue the same mistakes as 6.

I have yet to play gen 7 (that moment when everyone plays it and you have to wait 2 more week).

But gen 3 is really good, especially the remake of of the first gen and the gamecube games.

Which is surprising for me because they didn't even introduce a new eeveelution at that gen.

I voted Gen 4, and it's mainly for Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Main game for those are really solid and imo it has the best post game (especially with the Battle Frontier), not to mention I really enjoy going through Sinnoh and Johto (my favorite region)

For the rest of them, in my opinion, V>III>II>I>VII>VI

Gen II is my absolute favorite but I think Gen III was better. I agree with most of what Refa said in terms of there's way too much to deal with now ((though I still find them enjoyable)) and newer pokemon not being as interesting or good ((I would say Gen II was not an issue in this regard though)). Gen II also improved on what issues Gen I had what with balancing ((Gen I was ridiculously unbalanced if you ask me)).

Gen VII is certainly an improvement over Gen VI though. It seems that some semblance of difficulty has returned to the games. X/Y and ORAS were both super duper easy and I didn't feel remotely challenged by them ((very disappointed in the remakes wrt that honestly)). For all that the new games took out at least I have to think about what I'm doing again which is refreshing.

I'm still not finished with Sun, but I honestly think it's a step down from Gen 6.

I completely disagree. I think SuMo is a HUGE improvement from X&Y. This game feels fresh while I feel X&Y was stale. And I appreciate the removal of HMs. I feel like that is something they should have been removed years ago. Also riding a Pokemon is fun. I liked ORAS, but that is because I liked RS&E... I think ORAS is just a nice coat of paint on Ruby and Sapphire and doesn't even include the same content of Emerald.. that's disappointing. I do like that ORAS gave Aqua and Magma more of a personality.

As for what my favorite is? I'm tempted to say gen 7, but my judgment may be clouded from the games hype. I could probably give a more accurate judgement a few months from now. But I like it a lot and I think it's a big improvement.

Gen 5. I feel like there's a whole lot of hate circling black and white when they first came out (atleast among my friends), after not really enjoying Gen 4, I didn't even care to pick this game up. But my friend gave me his copy of Black. It took me a few weeks to actually get into it, only banking about 3 hours. But holy shit I got sucked into it. I liked the gray morality of Team Plasma, I adore N. Not is probably one of, if not, my FAVORITE character in pokemon. I also feel like they tried hard to make an actual story and the showdown with the gym leaders and the Sages of Plasma at the Pokemon League was awesome! Black 2 was also very fun.

Gen 2. I feel like Gen 2 was more polished than Gen 1. It also has Silver, another character I really like. Also the post game being Kanto was awesome.

Gen 3. I pretty much gave my thoughts on what I said earlier. I loved Emerald, I put 600+ hours into that game. Probably my most played Pokemon game. But I HATE FRLG. I'm not too keen on Kanto as is, but I don't like this remake slightly. Locking you out of getting gen 2 and 3 Pokemon till post game was stupid. The game literally forces your Golbat to stop evolving. Also, I know this is a nitpick, but the color scheme was not pleasant to look at if that makes sense??? Idk, something about how the game looked was worse than how RS&E looked in my opinion.

Gen 1. Not a fan of Kanto. The gen is unbalanced and glitchy.

Idk what to put in what order at the bottom, so read them in whatever order.

Gen 6. X&Y were bland. I didn't really care about any of the side characters. The character customization is good. And the game looks great visually. But that is about all I can say. Lysandre is cool. ORAS was fun, but nothing exciting since I played Gen 3 so many times. It looks amazing visually. Decent remake

Gen 4. I will admit, I have NEVER PLAYED Platinum. But as far as Diamond goes, I did not like it. I think Sinnoh is boring and it is my least favorite region... I hope the eventual gen 7 remake, Star Platinum, is good.........

I liked HGSS alot. It was more of a remake of crystal. I thought it was overall an enjoyable experience. I will say about both of these gens that there is an issue if I the only thing I find enjoyable are the remakes.

I am going to list favorite to least favorite region, it's a lot easier. Alola (for now)>Unova>Johto>Hoenn>Kanto>Kalos>Sinnoh

I voted gen 4, but I'm not a big fan of HG/SS, just Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I loved most of the new Pokemon introduced, I loved Sinnoh, Cynthia is best champion, imo (other than a certain dude in Alola if he counts, that is. :P), and best of all, LOOKER. <3 Diamond and Pearl were also the first main Pokemon games I ever got to own. I missed out on the others before that because either my parents couldn't/wouldn't get them for me or in the case of gen 3, I didn't know they existed.

I also voted gen 7 because Alola is such an awesome and different experience and many of the new Pokemon are great (MUDSDALE AND PRIMARINA <3). I do think XY did trainer customization better though. :/

Pretty sure generation VII takes this for me. Its narrative is not perfect, but it's a refreshing story that offers a much more appealing approach to the series, in my opinion. It throws away old formulae which had really overstayed their welcome (did anyone like the gyms in X&Y? Why were they even there? This is a method of progression that first came up on the original Gameboy!), streamlined what needed to be sorted out without sacrificing any depth, more intriguing characters with their own arcs, and the writing has overall improved considerably, even if we still have far too many lines that go "gee, Pokémon sure are swell".

In the gameplay department, it's the best-looking game in the main series, the music is stellar and very varied, I like most of the new Pokémon and some of the balance changes are fantastic.

Sun and Moon remove a lot of unnecessary rubbish while keeping the core Pokémon experience intact while improving and expanding on it in almost every way. It's not perfect by any means, but damn if it isn't a great experience.

4>7=5=6>3>2>1

The Gen4 games(specifically DPPt) have the best atmosphere and introduced my favorite Pokemon and the special/physical split. I also really liked the soundtrack that gen too. It was also the time I got back into the TCG, but that's a different story.

Gen V, easily. To me Gen VI was a notable step down, and Gen VII is a big step in the right direction (even its low points, to me, are higher than X and Y's).

So V > VII > III > VI > IV.

Edited by The DanMan