• Gen Four: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver
    • Gen Five: Black, White, B2, W2
    • Gen Six: X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
    • Gen Seven: Sun, Moon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80% of the people here either got the question in the wrong way or... the OP mislead the thread.

For best gen, Gen VII objectively.

For favorite, make another thread. Wait, I think there's the thread somewhere. Favorite <> Best.

80% of the people here either got the question in the wrong way or... the OP mislead the thread.

For favorite, make another thread. Wait, I think there's the thread somewhere. Favorite <> Best.

That's the issue when using the word "Best", because I assumed Rezzy meant Favorite.

Objectively I would say 7, because the gameplay and it's improvements are actually fantastic.

But gen 3 had Colosseum/XD and I'm a nostalgia slut for Orre and shadow pokemon so that's my fave gen. Also Emerald is lit

That's the issue when using the word "Best", because I assumed Rezzy meant Favorite.

That's why I was referring to the OP being misleading with the title and introducing the topic with a "mini rant".

Best may or may not be the same as favorite in people's cases. It depends on their tastes and opinions. Simple as that.

Partially true. Best sticks (mostly) to facts while favorite sticks (mostly) to tastes and opinions. Thing is, it is quite common to use both interchangeably when both aren't the same nor are opposites.

Well I mean when considering "Best" you have to consider the technical limitations at the time and how each generation improved on its predecessor. That's why I mentioned Gen II specifically because it squashed out a bunch of bad things about Gen I. Surely everything introduced in Gen VI and VII couldn't fit into a GBC game or even a GBA one.

NAH IT TOTALLY COULD BRUH

Another important distinction that the OP needs to make is if remakes are counted with their original games or the generation they came out in. For example, I think it's pretty lame that Gen 4 gets all of the credit that Gen 2 made even though Heart Gold/Soul Silver came out in that timeframe.

Another important distinction that the OP needs to make is if remakes are counted with their original games or the generation they came out in. For example, I think it's pretty lame that Gen 4 gets all of the credit that Gen 2 made even though Heart Gold/Soul Silver came out in that timeframe.

I agree with this honestly, its kind of lame if you give credit to a gen for its remakes of a previous gen instead of actually looking at the original points of the gens themselves.

Based on the poll options, remakes count for the gen whose engine it uses (FRLG in III, HGSS in IV, and ORAS in VI).

Normally I personally count things by region (RGBYFRLG, GSCHGSS, RSEORAS, DPPt, BWB2W2, XY, SM) but that doesn't seem to be the case in this poll.

You're right, my reading skills have failed me yet again. :< I don't really get why that's the case, though.

I've seen some pretty impressive hacks when it comes to adding modern features but I mean they don't hold a candle at the end of the day hahaha.

I guess admittedly I've been fairly selective because I've been holding ORAS against Gen VI but not holding FRLG ((which were better than Gen I in terms of modernizing it but not in terms of balancing it)) against Gen III. I may have to change my vote to only Gen II. That said, I think RSE really were just that good.

I voted for Gen II because while the changes in mechanics ultimately boil down to your preference, QoL improvements are objectively good and that gen had the most dramatic ones. Move descriptions, exp bar, bag categories and box navigation mean it's aged far better than Gen I (not that it's aged well though).

Best vs favorite is a caveat that can differ depending on how you think of "best".

I was originally hoping Gen VII could be my new favorite gen, since Gen VI came so close, but I felt it was a step back in many important areas, hence my rant.

Based on the poll options, remakes count for the gen whose engine it uses (FRLG in III, HGSS in IV, and ORAS in VI).

Normally I personally count things by region (RGBYFRLG, GSCHGSS, RSEORAS, DPPt, BWB2W2, XY, SM) but that doesn't seem to be the case in this poll.

I was debating which way to divide them. There could almost be two separate polls, one with story/region and one with game mechanics.

Replying to this:

This is a mini rant on Gen VII, but it's more a discussion of the Generations in general, so I didn't want to go too off topic elsewhere.

I'm still not finished with Sun, but I honestly think it's a step down from Gen 6. Playing XY, the bottom screen features made Pokemon feel like you were really interacting with everyone else playing out there. You could pass O-Powers and engage in battles with friends and random people. In Sun/Moon you feel much more isolated. That dumb tent thing is something you have to go out of your way to really use and I've only interacted with one other person playing Pokemon: my spouse to do some trade evolutions, and I had to figure out how to trade. XY was much more intuitive.

Gen VI really competes for my title of favorite gen. It did so many things right, but still had many head scratchers, like the absolute lack of post-game. I was hoping Gen VII could swoop in and fix everything, but really, I think it was a step back in quality. Everything Gen VII does well, Gen VI did better, to be honest.

I guess Gen III will keep being my favorite, for now, with the GameCube games giving it that push to come out on top.

I say Gen VII is the best because its so far the most complete of all the gens, and shows a lot of improvements and the game itself shows how the development team put thought on it in order to create an enriching experience.

I'm just by Akala Island, basically early game since I haven't played a lot but my first impressions of the game leave me a sense of relieve.

The UI has been polished, it is really friendly and intuitive: the hints, the (i) symbol at abilities, the L+A combo for move description, the touch screen shows the changes in stats, weather condition, ailments and buffs and such. The visuals are also attractive, as well as its music (although other gens have much better ost than Sun/Moon). The Rotom Dex is definitely cool and helpful, imo the Mini Map is such a nice and needed feature that it needs to stay because it guides you during the adventure, which is typical in RPGs and Adventure games.

Moving onto the gameplay aspect, it is the best move so far. It offers a huge variety of pokemon from the first routes which is really fun because players can build different teams, and not be STARTER PIDGEY BUG like some beautiful game right there. It also tries to remove the stereotype of early pokemon are garbage like the first games, which is not a bad thing by itself, but moving from it is an improvement. You have yumgoos, pikipek, grubbin, ledyba, spinarak, caterpie, pikachu, rattata, wingull, slowpoke, spearow, vullaby, abra, magnemite, cutiefly, gastly, zubat, misdreavus, growlithe, cabrawler, man that's pretty much all the typings available since your first steps. Not even to mention that it has SOS battles and more pokemon available. The difficulty is generally good, challenging, not easy nor hard. Totems and captains actually have strategies which is a good example of having a team behind the concept. The game is fine if you don't exceed yourself with a huge team by 1st trial, because having a team of 6 by 1st trial is an issue because the Exp distribution will be short and your team will result underleveled, so it's better to go step by step.

I do appreaciate XY having an intuitive system to battle and trade but that's that, there's also the game. And a cool system won't keep the whole game as best for itself. It introduced Pokemon Amie which is good but Refresh is tons better, and it actually pops after battles, making it easier and faster to get pokemon up to full happiness.

Other gens are glorious but lacked stuff or were short of something, but they're still good. Gen I is the purest form of pokemon, Gen II brought new types, more moves and better stuff overall, Gen III brought natures and EVs and IVs began to be of common knowledge, Gen IV brought the physical/special categories which were both needed and godsend, and Gen V and VI just improved gameplay as a whole with Hidden Abilities and Mega Stones.

Gen 1. Not a fan of Kanto. The gen is unbalanced and glitchy.

But that's what makes it the best generation. Gen 1 (and Gen 1 specifically. FRLG will never comes close to surpasses it.) is both the best and worst generation. Worst, because (thankfully), every game afterwards is better than this one. Best because its' a glitchy mess. I'm really curious to know how many persons got an interrest into hacking after playing a Pokémon game. personally, I didnt, but I will never forget the mysterious,terryfying, yet fascinating world I saw back then. I'll nevr forget gltch City. I'll never forget Missingno.

New games will never be as interresting (well, XY have all its secrets, but it's not really the same.).

Objectively nothing will ever comes close to Gen 1, the gen of Pokégods and godly bugs.

I think, for me, the best is between Gen V and Gen VII. Its' the second time I plan to buy both versions. BW have its fair share of issues (the game is too short), but it managed to makes the series fresh with a great story, some of the b est rivals (Cheren and Bianca), all new Pokémons (and I also think it was a great idea. Too bad in post game they didn't went all out and added ancient mons.) BW2 fixed most things and was all around great. Without Hugh it would have been perfect.

I think, quite the contrary Sun and Moon made many things better than XY, mostly concerning the world and the story. Firstly, the idea of travelling with (ingame) friends is amde better here. Tili and Lillie (and Gladio) are more interresting than Tierno, Shanna and co in X Y. The Pokémon added this time are objectively the best designed ever. They all (or nearly all) have something unique (Ability and/or move) that makes them noticeable, and not just another repeat. The pokédex is big, while not feeling as bloated as in XY. Addition of PokeMounts makes the world easier to travel (It's also funny that an idea taht exists since Gen I (there's an unobtainable item allowing you to surf) only appears now. )

I also really used trying ancient and new Pokémon, and curently my team is constituted of nearly 18 mons, which is insane, but I don't want to drop one...

I also used PokéRefresh more than Pokémon Amie this time, for some reasons.

​And Gamplay Wise, it's obviously the best. Everything is so intuitive. Exchanging items and mons never have been easier.

Edited by Tamanoir

Honestly, I'd have to say either Gen 4 or Gen 7. Gen 4 because of the characters, such as Team Galactic, and the introduction of Looker to the series. Plus, some Pokémon such as Chimchar, Shinx, Lucario, Gible, Togekiss, Leafeon, Glaceon and Gallade (and I can still go on with this list... XD) are examples are my favorite Pokémon in the series. Which is why I adore Sinnoh so much. Alola on the other hand, interested me with the trials. That was honestly creative! Same to the Alolan forms! (excluding Diglett and Dugtrio...) And Rockruff and Lycanroc... Those are legit my favorite Rock-types now.

I'm torn between Gen IV and Gen V at the moment, though I'm really starting to like Gen VII.

Gen IV was my first Gen, and it had so much side content, it's crazy. You have the Pokemon Contests, the Underground, Poffin Making, loads of optional caves to explore in D/P/Pl, and the Contests, Bug Catching tournament, The Kanto league and lots of other things in HGSS.

Gen V has the best story (I haven't finished Moon yet, so cannot compare the two, though the plot seems really good thus far.) and a bunch of really good characters. B2W2 also have a lot of side content- Pokestar Studios, Join Avenue.... Plus the Unova Pokemon are pretty great! :)

Replying to this:

I say Gen VII is the best because its so far the most complete of all the gens, and shows a lot of improvements and the game itself shows how the development team put thought on it in order to create an enriching experience.

[tl;dr] cut for page-stretch length sry

Honestly I feel the same as both you and the person you're quoting. I super appreciate the improvements that Sun/Moon brought to the basic formula of the gameplay-- more story-driven (which some might not like, but I don't mind, since it was done well IMO), more team options, lots of teambuilding freedom / no clear dominant strategy through most of the game, the battle UI, etc. I definitely think that Sun/Moon have had the best gameplay from start to credits of any game so far as a result of all of these elements.

HOWEVER.

IMO X and Y did more to more the series forward in other ways-- finally implementing 3D graphics, player customization, easy ways to EV train and easier ways to breed for perfect Pokemon, easy-to-understand wifi UI and everything (some of which SuMo then got RID of-- and though it might be consistent for Gamefreak to get rid of good features in the next game, this continues to baffle me), as well as finally bringing some balance and stability to the competitive scene with the introduction of the fairy typing. It's also one of the few generations where nearly all of the new Pokemon (Dedenne stands out to me as the sole exception to this) are actually someone viable in their own right, or at the very least, tread new ground as far as their typing/builds/strategies go. (huge improvement over gen 5 where the bulk of the pokemon available throughout the course of the story are largely useless in competitive play)

Sun/Moon made strides by having a more coherent and interesting plot, having better Pokemon selections (though XY's was already pretty good after the meager earlygame selection), FINALLY getting rid of HMs, and all the other stuff mentioned above, but they also got rid of the 2 very easy ways of EV training as well as unnecessarily muddling and complicating the wifi hub/UI (seriously, almost nothing about it doesn't make me angry lol. The one thing I like about it is that the IDEA of having a customizable hub is cool, but they give you SO LITTLE control over the parts that are actually customizable and force you to grind FC on the few areas you DO have control over. IT SUCKS).

If SuMo hadn't taken such huge steps backward in those regards I might appreciate it more, but as it stands, XY made the most improvements to the overall Pokemon formula since Gen 2. I'm happy that Gen 7 is continuing the trend of improving and evolving, but it's hard not to be frustrated when Gamefreak doesn't realize when they have a good thing and insist on trying to 'improve' something that didn't need fixing (or could have been improved in entirely different ways). Gen 6's biggest problem is the lack of postgame content. The Emma/Looker postgame story arc is nice, but only lasts for so long.

So that's my 2 cents on the matter I guess.

Gen 6 > Gen 7 > Gen 2 > Gen 3 > Gen 1 > Gen 4/5 IMO.

[spoiler=expanded tl;dr thoughts I guess]

4 had HG/SS (best remakes so far), the Poketch (another good idea that was immediately discarded in the following gen), and was good for competitive with the physical/special split which saved a LOT of mons that needed help with their STABs, BUT also introduced the metagame breaker known as Garchomp (I love him, great design, but goddamn he's so horribly balanced, they just made him too good) and the rise of Dragon/Steel spam in competitive that wouldn't be fixed 'till gen 6. Also most of the new gen 4 pokemon are really lackluster design-wise IMO, and D/P had really limited Pokemon selection for my taste-- IE, Infernape and Rapidash are literally the only fire-types available in this gen-- Flint, the E4 Fire-type user, actually has more non-fire types than fire-types for this reason. Really sad. Wasn't bad on the whole, but it was really unmemorable for me. I remember SO little about what actually happens and where you go in this game-- I remember Cynthia and the legendaries were cool, but SO much of the world is so samey-feeling and there's not much environmental variety. If not for HGSS, this would be my least favorite generation hands-down, and Sinnoh itself is definitely my least-favorite region.

5 was the most unremarkable to me... I appreciate its attempt to have a plot, and it had the best music IMO, but it's just so thoroughly unremarkable in almost every other way. It has a handful of new Pokemon that are REALLY cool, but most of them aren't available until lategame or postgame so they basically just exist to pad out the competitive cast to me. Most mons available during the start-through-credits playthrough are pretty bad both in terms of battle and design IMO. Pretty much the only 'new' things it did were the Dream World business (which was gimmicky and unwieldy IMO), and having an entirely new cast of Pokemon to use in-game (a super mixed bag IMO, but I talked about that already)

3, admittedly, I have some personal bias towards since I love most of the cast of gen 3 Pokemon, and Emerald was the first/only Hoenn game I played this gen lol, but it also had the best Battle Frontier and thus the best postgame content of any Pokemon game. Really disappointed ORAS didn't bring this back. Against it, I actually agree with IGN in retrospect; half the world being water is nice from a thematic perspective, but really just not fun to play through IMO. The rest of the game after Winona always feels like such a slog to me every time I play through it again. FRLG were good, but basically just an update in game mechanics that didn't bring much new content of note IMO. The Sevii islands were extremely mehh and unemorable IMO.

Gen 2 is really good, but has a lot of flaws that people take for granted IMO, like poor exposure for quite a few new Pokemon, crappy level scaling, making grinding a massive chore, and some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

Gen 1 is Gen 1 lol. You love it or hate it, or both, in my case. Credit where credit's due to the game that spawned a gaming dynasty, but yeah, obv it's not without its problems-- horrible type imbalance, extremely samey Pokemon design in terms of type/stats (the bulky rock/ground, the slow grass/poison, the mediocre fire-type and normal/flying, etc.), and ofc the multitude of glitches (which as people've said you love or hate lol) that later games had to expand upon.

Edited by BANRYU

You have the Pokemon Contests

Just a side word about Gen IV contests. It's a primarily example of trying to fix something that was good and making it worse in the prospect.

​Gen III Contest are honnestly great. A whole new way to play, and I spent tons of time playing through it.

...Then Gen IV appears, and let you dress your mons. OK, cool, it's a good way to improves the experience, what could go wrong?

​The Dance Contest, that's why. Oh, how I loathe that stupid dancing contest that drive all the fun of the contests with this annoing rythm games!

I still have mixed feeling towards DP(Pt) (Because I only bought Diamong back then) honnestly. It have some of my favourite Pokémons, and I have some nostalgia towards it (First PokéRus, fiirst Shiney. It counts.) The music gave me a mixed feeling, because it was such a change from RSE. And I don't even remember it being that slow (or hard for that matter). I obviously passed many hours on it, but I felt it would be my last Pokémon Game. Then HGSS was a fantastic remake (and was when I first started playing as I do today : Name all my Pokémon, and have the Starter be female, and Gen V made me fall again.)

​Gen III must be my most played Gen. Maybe it's why I'm unable to get into ORAS. I can't find any real problem about it, but I can't get myself to play through it...

I've also seen people complaining SuMo is linear and pretty much straight forward. Most routes are blocked until you clear something or some trial, which is bad for them because they kinda want to feel free at exploring every place. Yet I find it a cool feature (although it is really dumb in the game lol Tauros and Stoutland blocks) because it carries the player through the game and prevents it from going to a harmful place where it can be easily blacked out. I'm fine with it but I understand why people feel bad for it.

I voted Gen 3 because it's my favorite, but I really don't like how everyone throws the remakes into things. I feel it muddies the comparison too much. Like, comparing Gen 3 to Gen 4 in this poll means comparing Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen/ to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver. But R/S/E are very different from FR/LG and D/P/P are also very different from HG/SS. X/Y are very different from OR/AS. It's grouping two different games together arbitrarily against two other different games.

EDIT: Hadn't read some of the previous replies when making this post, seems other people also have this problem. I would vote for dividing the options by region, possibly even putting the remakes on their own since R/S/E are pretty different from OR/AS.

While Gen 3 is my favorite, it's mostly for nostalgia and the Battle Frontier. Judging by the quality of their campaigns, I think Black and White are the best with Sun and Moon just behind.

D/P last by any comparison, though.

Edited by Florete

I've also seen people complaining SuMo is linear and pretty much straight forward. Most routes are blocked until you clear something or some trial, which is bad for them because they kinda want to feel free at exploring every place. Yet I find it a cool feature (although it is really dumb in the game lol Tauros and Stoutland blocks) because it carries the player through the game and prevents it from going to a harmful place where it can be easily blacked out. I'm fine with it but I understand why people feel bad for it.

I mean honestly, it's really nothing new for these games. Do the people complaining about this remember the guy in Pewter City who would drag your ass to the gym any time you tried to head out to Mount Moon? The dude blocking the first Gym in gen 5 who straight up says 'GO CHECK OUT THE DREAMYARD FIRST'? Any of the other similar things already happening in pretty much every other game?

Its nothing new for this series lol. At least in this game, interesting stuff usually happens at the places you're forced to go to.