The General Fire Emblem Remake Thread

MissShake

As I lurk read around SF, I often come across talk of older games that "should be remade" and all that. So, in a perfect world where IS had no issues whatsoever and nothing they made was awful, what game would you want remade? What would you want seen in a hypothetical remake? Should it just be a straight graphical update or would you like to see additions like, perhaps, new supports or endings?

If 6 were to be remade, I'd like a good chunk of it to stay the same, but rebalanced weapons and stats somewhat. Maybe go in more depth with its small plot, but don't make it overly convoluted either.

Keep the limited supports, but make the support gain mechanics be similar to FE9 instead.

...Hoo boy.

I haven't played the series in full yet, so I don't have full perspective. But really, the biggest arguments I've seen for calls for remakes are FE2, FE4 (and 5) and FE6 (with 7 lumped in).

I've already hinted that I'd be fine with changes in remakes (and not just a remastering) titles, as I do think that they are not perfect titles (some of this due to hardware, others not so much). I'm not sure in what way these would or even as an idea should go.

Expanding supports for some characters would be nice in the GBA titles (as well as fixing growths because it's terrible in 6 and still an annoyance for many pairs in 7), while trying to improve ties between the two games (both in difficulty, balance and story). FE2 could go in many ways, so while Fates shows a possible blueprint for parts of that remake (like how it deals with weapons), that means little in practice. FE4 and FE5 are different enough that making both into a bundled remake is asking a lot of questions on what stays from each, that I am not going to debate here.

Of course a more straight remaster might be the better approach, but there are some things that might still need fixing (and a remake allows for more expansion upon a plot and answering missing questions.)

I would love to see Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem remade together (since Mystery of the Emblem still remains without any sort of international release). Given how conservative they were with Shadow Dragon on the DS, I'd love for them to actually try to improve on some things (like adding supports).

Genealogy would also be something I would like to see. Supports shouldn't be too hard given the game's rather small cast.

Binding Blade would also be good, and I'd even be okay with Gaiden getting a remake.

Sheesh, I feel like an argument could be made for a lot of games in this franchise.

FE4 and FE5 since Sigurd seems awesome, and the plots of both games seem pretty interesting. Leif also sounds like a really good lord character-wise too.

I would also say PoR and RD mostly so they could be accessible to players again without having to pay absurd eBay prices or something. RD also could use some improved writing and more paired endings as well as a better support system. Also, what happened to trial maps? PoR had those and they were fun!

Edited by Anacybele

Sheesh, I feel like an argument could be made for a lot of games in this franchise.

Right? When I look back at the series, pretty much all of the older games would make for a nice remake. They all have a pretty good base, so I feel like even newer players could find a lot to like :)

I'm fond of the Pokemon style of remakes, that is to say keep the characters and story mostly the same but upgrade the graphics and bring the gameplay up to "modern standards". I'd happily play a FE7 remake if they added in Attack/Guard stance, branching promotions, the 3DS support getting system but keep the limited support pools, and make some of the gaidens easier to unlock. Optionally, it would be neat if there were more foreshadowing and direct lead ins to the plot of FE6

I really want the Tellius series released on virtual console because it is impossible to find the games anywhere and I really want to play them but it would be even better if they remade it to include the Attack/Guard stances because it feels like something that really should be in every game.

Oh, I'd love to see pair-up in Tellius. It's such a neat mechanic and it adds some strategy to the game when implemented right (I do admit it was too broken in Awakening). I also just want to make Ike and Elincia team up lol.

Oh, I'd love to see pair-up in Tellius. It's such a neat mechanic and it adds some strategy to the game when implemented right (I do admit it was too broken in Awakening). I also just want to make Ike and Elincia team up lol.

Eh, I don't that would be a good idea. I'm always wary of forcing new game mechanics in to a game that was made without that in mind. Trying to force in Pair Up to the Tellius games would require a ton of redone animation work.

FE4 and 5 should have a support system.

In case of Fire Emblem 4, instead of just love points, there should be a love support system. This system would allow a female and male unit to have convos with each other, like with a normal support convo. However, with each convo, love points increase between the male and female unit. Upon reaching A(or S, or whatever) rank in support, the male and female unit will be married. However, like with normal supports, not doing a support convo between the male and female unit will stop the increase of their love points with each other, and will stay the same unless the support convo is initiated.

There will be supports between same gender units tho, but will work the normal way.

I'm fond of the Pokemon style of remakes, that is to say keep the characters and story mostly the same but upgrade the graphics and bring the gameplay up to "modern standards". I'd happily play a FE7 remake if they added in Attack/Guard stance, branching promotions, the 3DS support getting system but keep the limited support pools, and make some of the gaidens easier to unlock. Optionally, it would be neat if there were more foreshadowing and direct lead ins to the plot of FE6

I really want the Tellius series released on virtual console because it is impossible to find the games anywhere and I really want to play them but it would be even better if they remade it to include the Attack/Guard stances because it feels like something that really should be in every game.

What's the point of remaking something if you're going to make it identical to the newer games? I for one am not for homogenizing the series into the same game. At the point of adding all this stuff isn't it just better to make a new game? I don't think the Pokémon example particularly applies since is Pokémon is a very iterative series with games that are hardly different for the most part. They are also games with a continuing kind of continuity so when you update a particular game in series you bring it back up to speed with the meta-game. So there's a need to update these Pokémon because of the continual power creep, Pokémon games are games that build on each other like the annual sports franchise of RPG's.

Fire Emblem not so much... Ideas are picked up and abandoned (Third Tiers, Trainees, Magic Triangle, FE 4 in it's entirety, etc.) with almost every entry, with the iterative entries being the exception rather than the rule, (6 & 7, 11 & 12, 13 & 14, ie. 6 out of 14, and no being built off of simlar framework doesn't count 5, 8, and 10 are very different games and you know it) cause so far the series has never been iterative for more than two entries at a time and those two entries are only ever iterative of each other. So I don't know why people insist the newest games suddenly be applied to all the other games. In some ways I wish Fire Emblem built on each entry... but in others I am actually glad that each entry is it's own unique thing, it makes replaying the series as a whole quite fun.

The kind a remake I think would be best a thing that fixes the problems of the orignal while leaving the rest well enough alone. So fixing the support system, adding higher difficulty modes, removing the lock on difficulty modes, updating graphics, and music. Mabye updating the Gaiden requiment to be slightly more sensible in the case of 19xx, but they better not make them easy I like that they require actual effort to unlock, part of the fun is completing optional objectives. In short I am against the homogenization of a largely a non-iterative series.

Edited by Locke087

I'd update Gaiden a bit since it's such a clunky game at present, UI overhaul required. Beyond that, I'm not familiar enough with the game to say, I just want a non-frustrating UI.

For 6:

• Add FE9 style support growth on top of the GBA style, and raise the GBA type growth some or make it so the growth happens in up to a three tile radius. Keep the overall support system besides this (5 convo limit, affinities, LIMITED POOLS, NO EVERYONE X EVERYONE NONSENSE).
  • Make some maps... not seize. Like, change some to rout or defeat boss and add some defend missions for non plot Gaidens. FE6 TECHNICALLY had defend and boss chapters, however, boss was only in Beyond the Darkness and Defend was exclusive to Trial maps.
  • BALANCE UNITS. The big one. Roy's promo can be moved to 14(x) or 16(x), maybe give him a 5-10% boost in some growths like Str or Spd, that's all he really needs to serve well. Wolt should get a boost to his bases (particularly Speed) and maybe to his Str/Speed/Luck growths a bit of a buff, give Sophia a more accurate attacking option or at least buff her up to level 5, get rid of HM boosts since they just increase gaps between what's good and what's bad, and... do something about Wendy. I don't know how to help her tbh :/
  • Cap the arena. Like, make it so you can only take a set amount of bets/map
  • Add a difficulty below normal I guess.
  • Do NOT include any of the following: Avatars, Marraige before epilogue, children being born midgame and magically aging, pair up, Random encounters, and whatever other nonsense the 3DS games have. Keep it Binding Blade, don't make it Awakening.

Eh, I don't that would be a good idea. I'm always wary of forcing new game mechanics in to a game that was made without that in mind. Trying to force in Pair Up to the Tellius games would require a ton of redone animation work.

I don't think it'd be that big a problem. It's not like I'm saying to put in marriage or kids. Now THAT would really screw up the game.

FE4 could use a shiny new paintjob with some rebalancing. Don't change the core game mind, FE4 isn't FE4 without its fuckhuge maps and giant stat boosting weapons, but things like how all weapons of a certain class all weigh the same (all axes are 18, all swords are 3, etc) means weapon balance is fucking broken and needs fixing. There's never a reason not to use a higher tier weapon of a certain grade unless you DON'T want to kill something honestly. So introducing varying weapon weights/uses to the different weapons can be a way to balance that out some (but keep the repair system, tbh I wish the FE4 repair system was standard). Introduce expanded story elements because Judgral Saga has a fantastic story thats sadly obscured behind hard to get convos and hidden details in like, FE5. So having more story material, cutscenes, scripted moments, and support convos to enhance the lover system would be fantastic.

FE6 I'd like to see in a double pack with FE7 with mild tweaks to them both. FE7's mechanics were fairly solid imo, but a few things are grating (such as how noone named Oswin, Wallace or Hector has a defense growth higher than 30% :V) but its on the whole very strong for me. FE6 however just feels lackluster in comparison to 7, in terms of storytelling, narrative, characterization, and really everything except difficulty (I actually prefer FE6's difficulty as the "FE normal-hard" standard). Combining the Elibe Saga into a single package and strengthening the ties between them narratively and possibly adding new crazy stuff (what if we could save and recruit Hector? ooooooooooooooooooooo) would be great.

Hector's death is too plot important to go, if Hector doesn't die, Roy wouldn't wind up with that gigantic burden on his shoulders in the first place.

Hector's cool and all, but Roy needs to be able to keep his own game as well.

FE4 could use a shiny new paintjob with some rebalancing. Don't change the core game mind, FE4 isn't FE4 without its fuckhuge maps and giant stat boosting weapons, but things like how all weapons of a certain class all weigh the same (all axes are 18, all swords are 3, etc) means weapon balance is fucking broken and needs fixing. There's never a reason not to use a higher tier weapon of a certain grade unless you DON'T want to kill something honestly. So introducing varying weapon weights/uses to the different weapons can be a way to balance that out some (but keep the repair system, tbh I wish the FE4 repair system was standard). Introduce expanded story elements because Judgral Saga has a fantastic story thats sadly obscured behind hard to get convos and hidden details in like, FE5. So having more story material, cutscenes, scripted moments, and support convos to enhance the lover system would be fantastic.

FE6: (what if we could save and recruit Hector? ooooooooooooooooooooo) would be great.

On FE4, while I'd want a remake with 4 and 5, I question what would be kept from each if you were trying to make one standard for both. (Well, cost's a reason to not use an expensive weapon, but then again I was never good at improving the kill count on weapons). I do think that a remake trying to change things might do something about skills like Critical (Which doesn't matter that often) or Pursuit (Which really is powerful). Improving how convos are stored would be nice to see, especially if there's going to be more of them.

On FE6, there's a planned mod with that (Maiden of Darkness), if you're interested. I'd also like to see a 6/7 title, but it's all a bit of a pipedream.

Hector's death is too plot important to go, if Hector doesn't die, Roy wouldn't wind up with that gigantic burden on his shoulders in the first place.

Hector's cool and all, but Roy needs to be able to keep his own game as well.

Haha. What if we had a Fire Emblem 6 Hector Mode where Hector just pushes Roy out of the story and acts as the lord from that point on. Including all of the same exact situations except with Hector instead of Roy (including him drawing the Axe of Seals at the end!). That seems like it could be a prtty amusing fanhack.

Yes I have been following Maiden of Darkness for years and I am hyyyyyyyyyype. Sure it gets outright fanfictiony at times but FE6's narrative is so bare bones and nonexistant that its basically an improvement. Its basically what I'd want out of an FE6 remake - significantly stronger narrative ties and more involvement from side characters on the chance they're still alive.

As for FE4 being remade, I wouldn't want it packaged with FE5. Those two games are just too fundamentally different to mash into one game ala FE6/7 could, though some of FE5's now standard modernizations could afford to be in 4: con/build dictating attack speed (or hell, I actually like FE9's model a lot more where it was character strength), rescue, and possibly useable inventory items like vulneraries and the like. Make pursuit universal, have the critical skill work like the Swordmaster/Berserker class crit boost in GBA+ games, stuff like that.