Serenes Forest Scribbles 2016. Winners announced!

Tangerine

On 2017-04-09 at 9:16 PM, EllJee said:

Fetching Friar

Reveal hidden contents

Great use of light and shading, and in managing to capture Libra's tareme eyes. My only critiques are all about angles. At the direction his head is turned, it's a partial angle; he might be turned 30-45 degrees away from the viewer. But his eyes are spaced far enough apart that he might be looking further forward, and the angle at which we see his nose only shows us the side, as if he were turned further away. It's a very hard balance to master, but that's what I'd suggest working on. Unless you were going for imperfections as Libra's self-portrait reflects his not-yet-total-mastery of the form, in which case nice.

Thank you for the critique, I really appreciate your constructive feedback and crititque.

I see what you mean about the angles, since (sadly) no - it wasn't an attempt to capture Libra's imperfect art skill, just an artifact of my own imperfect skill on foreshortening. :P 
To be frank, angles are tricky to get right for me, and to that end foreshortening isn't my strong suit (I personally notice it the most with his nose - like oof, what happened to the tip and bridge?).

The nose is a bit of a special case though, since the end result was in part due to me making a mistake when mixing the colour for shading the skin. I used a colour called Perylene Maroon, which is a staining colour, it's pigment properties means that once it's on paper it can't be lifted.
(Lifting is a technique I make extensive use of with watercolours to give shading a "soft & fuzzy" look)

In other words, I outlined the general nose shape expecting to be able to adjust the paint layer by lifting parts that didn't jive, and then add on shading to the nose, only to find that I couldn't. To my horror the outline was stuck. :S

This meant that I had the choice of either:

A: Attempt to adjust the entire skin's shading using this non-liftable mix and gradually match the outline's colour. The big risk being that his skin might end up looking like he had burnt his skin badly.

B: Leave it as it was and accept the "outline" on his nose. A vexing option, but at least that was better than possibly ruining the entire skin. :S
Tl;dr: I won't ever use staining colours in washes I expect to lift not unless I get a lifting medium.

As an aside, I have the original pencil sketch - in which his nose looks better:

Spoiler

zh3rQh7.png
Fun fact: This sketch measures 7x8 cm while the final painting is 22x23 cm.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Tangerine said:

Probably going to be skipping this year since this one cut into so much of 2017 due to our delays lol. I'm planning a couple of other events for 2017 either way, the first being a launch stream + giveaway with Ghast for the SoV release.

Scribbles will certainly be back though, even if not in my hands! I made sure the staff would continue it even if I couldn't :P.

Well, I know I don't mind if it gets skipped this year. This was only going to be a one-time thing for me anyway. I did have fun doing it though. :)

I make plenty of Fire Emblem themed creative things throughout the year, I would probably still enter had this contest been twenty times a year. XD

Though I understand not doing it too often, can't keep giving away free Cipher cards. =P

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

If you guys want to enter Serenes hosted writing stuff then I will direct you to the Write Your Butt Off Contest. Which is supposed to be a bi weekly affair but is sort of floundering due to lack of interest.

Or when a certain someone figures out how to fix the polls.  My fault, sorry!

@Wist - thanks!  I'll read this when it's not really late at night.

On 17/04/2017 at 2:27 PM, Jotari said:

Oh yeah and something I meant to say the first time but forgot to (as my original comment was deleted long story) regarding Dragonson, sweet and all but...wouldn't Eliwood feel just a tiny bit put out about his wife sharing their most private and intimate family moments with hundreds of other people without telling him? I'd certainly have mixed feelings if I suddenly discovered my decease wife had a camera in every room of my house life streaming our entire life XD

...Pffthahaha. I'd never really considered it like that. All the more evidence that I got swept up in the ~romantic sentiment~ of it all.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Or when a certain someone figures out how to fix the polls.  My fault, sorry!

I definitely intend to enter Write Your Butt Off at some point! There's a ton of less substantial FE ideas floating around in my head, and it would do me good to write something short, sweet and swiftly for the sake of it. Maybe after my upcoming teaching practicum has wrapped up - I'd love to get my hands dirty with you all again soon, especially if it's gonna be a while until the next Scribbles.

7 hours ago, Qilin said:

That Draws tie breaker...

Yeah, whoever that last voter was decided the tiebreaker lol. Really close one, will probably mention and show Two Generation in our tweet.

-------

WINNERS:

DRAWS:

1. Marth and Caeda by @boy

2. Alm and Celica by @j00

3. In Ruined Halls by @Untold Protagonist

WRITES:

1. Dragonson by @SpareTimeEntertainment

2. Too Much Not Enough by @starlies

3. Cages by @Thane

MISC:

1. Nyx Mini Sculpture by @Qilin

2. Amigurumi Sack Takumi by @himagurumi

3. Ragnell Replica by @Craig

-------

Congrats guys! Lots of great submissions this year, and a lot of great discussion too! I'll be PMing you to get your shipping information and sending your prizes out soon :P.

Good job everyone!

2 hours ago, Tangerine said:

Yeah, whoever that last voter was decided the tiebreaker lol. Really close one, will probably mention and show Two Generation in our tweet.

-------

WINNERS:

DRAWS:

1. Marth and Caeda by @boy

2. Alm and Celica by @j00

3. In Ruined Halls by @Untold Protagonist

WRITES:

1. Dragonson by @SpareTimeEntertainment

2. Too Much Not Enough by @starlies

3. Cages by @Thane

MISC:

1. Nyx Mini Sculpture by @Qilin

2. Amigurumi Sack Takumi by @himagurumi

3. Ragnell Replica by @Craig

-------

Congrats guys! Lots of great submissions this year, and a lot of great discussion too! I'll be PMing you to get your shipping information and sending your prizes out soon :P.

Good job everyone!

Just to repeat because I have no shame, if any of you guys don't want your Cipher packs I'll gladly take those off your hands.

Also, yeah, let's get the Write Your Butt Off back online, please. I completely forgot about that but was going to try to enter.

Alm and Celica

Hide contents

Oh, wow. Great use of color. You’ve got a great handle on perspective and proportion… how’d you get the armor lines to look so clean and crisp with (I assume) traditional media? I actually like that they’re looking in slightly different directions. But since you’ve spend such attention on details, I can critique details. Celica’s left eyelid is structured differently from her right, and the eye is at a different height; split down the center of her face, she’s almost two different people. The bland blank stare on her face contrasts a lot with Alm’s determined brow crinkle, which just draws attention to that eye discrepancy, especially given its position in the center of the image.

@EllJee Thanks for the feedback! It was done in watercolor, with sketch and lines done in pencil. Some of the lines, like the armor, were painted over with a very thin brush afterwards.

I agree that Celica's eyes are a bit off, though I don't think it's as much structure/shape as placement and size. Her left eye is a bit too big and placed too high, and while the shape is a bit different I don't think it alone creates the dissonance, as Alm's eyes aren't symmetrical either. The most glaring fault in proportions are both of their jaws though, the left sides of their face is much... sharper than the other side. I think that's an error that was reinforced during the painting process, I refuse to believe I'd miss something as obvious as that at the pencil stage.

It was great fun following the contest! I enjoyed looking and reading through the entries, with lots of discussion and feedback. Kudos to everyone who participated, and congrats to the winners!

Congrats to the winners, you all did a fantastic job! :D:

I really hope that Scribbles returns it was such an enjoyable time browsing through the different entries in each category. 

@Untold Protagonist Man that was close huh ^^ Congrats again man, you totally earned it with your beautiful picture!

18 hours ago, Tangerine said:

Wow thanks that would be really nice of you ^^

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, Tangerine said:

Congratulations to all the winners. All of you deserved it. :)

One more very enthusiastic congratulations to all of the winners! And another big shout-out to everyone who entered. I thoroughly enjoyed browsing all of this!

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160617125208

(I'm not sorry at all)

Edited by EllJee
misclicked

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for our prize winners, but shipment will be delayed because a few of our winners are in the process of moving, coincidentally, so we ended up deciding not to ship until then just to make sure there isn't any mixups lol. It's cheaper for us to do it all at once too.

Edited by Tangerine

You shouldn't need to sign for anything. It'll either be left with the rest of your mail in the mailbox if you're not home, or they'll take it back with them and leave a notice telling you that you have mail at the post office, depending on where you live.

Ok, so I know there were at least two people on here who couldn't handle my gigantic wall of text, so I'm throwing this up here to let you guys know I'll be starting work on reformatting it to be more reasonable to read. I've already got to the first real change in scenery in the entry, so if any of you want to check my work on the first little bit and let me know if I'm doing it wrong that'd be appreciated. I'm not doing full double-enter breaks for a couple reasons right now, so expect just indented paragraphs because it took me this long to realize how to do that. It should still be much more readable, however.

Also, there will be some minor changes made here and there, mostly me trying to address some of the few feedback things I've got. I assume this isn't a problem now that Scribbles is over?

Edited by SoulWeaver