Fate/Stay Night Role Play: The 6th Holy Grail War (SIGN UPS CLOSED)

EdwardSunnyDisposition

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd say yes so long as they aren't completely broken, though @bioky858 is right in that we should double check with @EdwardSunnyDisposition first. Plenty of Servants have Personal Skills tailored to their own legends, and it would only make sense for them to possess those as long as they didn't achieve a power-level of Noble Phantasm. Take Atalanta's "Aesthetics of the Last Spurt" for example. It's an iconic reference to her legend, but by no means something powerful enough to be converted into a Noble Phantasm, so it only makes sense to turn it into a neat little Personal Skill. So long as you have good ideas for interesting Personal Skills, I'd be all for it. Then again, that's just my opinion ^^

2 minutes ago, ChristmasForJuan said:

Personally I'd say yes so long as they aren't completely broken, though @bioky858 is right in that we should double check with @EdwardSunnyDisposition first. Plenty of Servants have Personal Skills tailored to their own legends, and it would only make sense for them to possess those as long as they didn't achieve a power-level of Noble Phantasm. Take Atalanta's "Aesthetics of the Last Spurt" for example. It's an iconic reference to her legend, but by no means something powerful enough to be converted into a Noble Phantasm, so it only makes sense to turn it into a neat little Personal Skill. So long as you have good ideas for interesting Personal Skills, I'd be all for it. Then again, that's just my opinion ^^

I was thinking it could include divinity and stuff like that as their usually just passive skills

8 minutes ago, Featherine123 said:

And should be limit those type of skills to like 3 skills in 1 or none at all?

The amount of skills you have depend on how much of your SP you are willing to spend. You start with 1000 SP, and since you have the Lancer class (which cost 325 SP) you will have 675 SP. The remaining SP is spent to boost stats if you wanted to if the base stats for Lancer don't please you. You can also decrease one (or more) of your Servant's stats to gain more SP. (The doc goes into more detail). The remaining SP is spent on Class Skills, Personal Skills, and Noble Phantasm, and you can have as many as you can purchase. You can get more SP depending on how many drawbacks and/or how disadvantageous these drawbacks are. 

The more powerful a skill, or noble phantasm, the more SP you spend. (A) ranks of skills or phantasms cost quite a lot, so you have to be careful on how much you spend. It will end up balanced at the end I believe.

Edited by bioky858

2 minutes ago, Featherine123 said:

And should be limit those type of skills to like 3 skills in 1 or none at all?

That's a tricky one because there are some Personal Skills that do exactly that, such as "Voyager of the Storm" (which incorporates "Charisma" and "Military Tactics"), and "Bravery" to a certain extent, since it endows one with the ability to negate mental interference as well as boost your melee damage. So yeah, while those Skills certainly exist, I'd advice against making one up on your own due to ensuing balancing issues. Unless it is crucial for your Servant to have those Skills, or it is iconic to their character, I'd opt for a simpler ability.

4 minutes ago, ChristmasForJuan said:

That's a tricky one because there are some Personal Skills that do exactly that, such as "Voyager of the Storm" (which incorporates "Charisma" and "Military Tactics"), and "Bravery" to a certain extent, since it endows one with the ability to negate mental interference as well as boost your melee damage. So yeah, while those Skills certainly exist, I'd advice against making one up on your own due to ensuing balancing issues. Unless it is crucial for your Servant to have those Skills, or it is iconic to their character, I'd opt for a simpler ability.

Okay I was afraid that if someone had something like that some servants could be broken 

I think the issue was more about making a Skill that encompasses multiple Skills into one @bioky858. Maybe something along the lines of a Personal Skill by the name of "Wrath of a God" in the case of a demigod born of Ares the God of War, which would give him the effects of "Divinity" and "Battle Continuation" simultaneously even though it only takes up a single Personal Skill Slot, meaning that it is only treated as, and only costs as much as a single Skill even though it endows you with the benefits of two. This Personal Skill is completely made up by the way and only serves to purpose of serving as an example.

Just now, ChristmasForJuan said:

I think the issue was more about making a Skill that encompasses multiple Skills into one @bioky858. Maybe something along the lines of a Personal Skill by the name of "Wrath of a God" in the case of a demigod born of Ares the God of War, which would give him the effects of "Divinity" and "Battle Continuation" simultaneously even though it only takes up a single Personal Skill Slot, meaning that it is only treated as, and only costs as much as a single Skill even though it endows you with the benefits of two. This Personal Skill is completely made up by the way and only serves to purpose of serving as an example.

Well in that is the case, then I guess you would have to purchase for the two skills rather than this combo of one like the example "Wrath of a God".

Well @Featherine123, it should be fine as long as you are careful. Heck, I have a Rider Servant who has the "Voyager of the Storm Skill", but I took into consideration that he wasn't as great a captain as Francis Drake (the first known owner of this Personal Skill) was, nor did he understand Military Tactics, so even though his "Voyager of the Storm" Skill was at Rank D, his "Charisma" was at Rank C and his "Military Tactics" was at Rank E. It's fine to give a Servant a lot of Skills if they make sense, but just make sure to make them relevant to that Servant and stay true to their character and lore. If can nail that, there should be no problem at all even if your Servant technically has 5 Personal Skills... though you'd need to have some good reasons to back that up xD

Well @Featherine123, it should be fine as long as you are careful. Heck, I have a Rider Servant who has the "Voyager of the Storm Skill", but I took into consideration that he wasn't as great a captain as Francis Drake (the first known owner of this Personal Skill) was, nor did he understand Military Tactics, so even though his "Voyager of the Storm" Skill was at Rank D, his "Charisma" was at Rank C and his "Military Tactics" was at Rank E. It's fine to give a Servant a lot of Skills if they make sense, but just make sure to make them relevant to that Servant and stay true to their character and lore. If can nail that, there should be no problem at all even if your Servant technically has 5 Personal Skills... though you'd need to have some good reasons to back that up xD

It was mainly because Divinity is a skill that really doesn't do much so having some kind of spin on it would at least make it more useful 

Oh my, is that how it works @bioky858? o . O

This rule won't affect this particular Archer of mine, but that still technically counts as a single Personal Skill, does it not? Hmmm, though I guess we should wait for @EdwardSunnyDisposition's judgement on this before this turns into a long debate ^^

Yeah, I'm not really a hundred percent sure since I didn't make this system. @EdwardSunnyDisposition will probably answer this question.

Actually now that you mention it @Featherine123, I don't really know what "Divinity" actually does? o . O

I can now understand if you don't want to waste so much credit on a useless Skill, especially if it is higher ranked due to your Servant's origin and there is nothing you can do about it...
Maybe we can all agree that "Divinity" should be treated purely as a cosmetic Skill and be exempt from cost? It would be the easiest solution for any Servants of Divine origin, though you would also be missing out on any benefits that come with it... though I'm still not too sure what those are.

Edited by ChristmasForJuan

5 minutes ago, ChristmasForJuan said:

Actually now that you mention it @Featherine123, I don't really know what "Divinity" actually does? o . O

I can now understand if you don't want to waste so much credit on a useless Skill, especially if it is higher ranked due to your Servant's origin and there is nothing you can do about it...
Maybe we can all agree that "Divinity" should be treated purely as a cosmetic Skill and be exempt from cost? It would be the easiest solution for any Servants of Divine origin, though you would also be missing out on any benefits that come with it... though I'm still not too sure what those are.

Divinity (神性, Shinsei?) is the measure of whether one has Divine Spirit aptitude or not. At high levels one is treated as a mixed race of a Divine Spirit, and the level declines when the Heroic Spirit's own rank as a Monster or Demonic Beast raises. It can also decrease due to one's dislike for the gods. Those who have A Rank Divinity or above has reached the throne of a god. It also has an effect which reduces special defensive values called 'purge defense' in proportion to the Divinity's Rank. It can break through Skills such as Protection of the Faith and Enlightenment of the Sacred Fig.[8][11][5]

1 minute ago, ChristmasForJuan said:

Right @Featherine123, I had the wikia open myself, but what I meant is that this entry doesn't give us any usable info that we can use in a practical manner.

And you're right @HeraldofHector, but even then that is being pretty vague. Oh well, maybe I just don't understand the specifics of the Skill.

Divinity is essentially a very limited skill usage wise 

Nobunaga, Karna and Scathach will kill you if you have divinity 

Achilles will kill you if you don't have divinity

Ah fudge. I'm just gonna give y'all the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Divinity and discrepancies between Personal Skills and Noble Phantasms. Just be sensible, that's all I ask. My guide certainly isn't a perfect one, but I don't disagree with any of the conclusions that have been reached in the discussion; they are all sound. Alright so let's review all the new activity:

• @Featherine123 has been confirmed for Lancer, and sign up is also confirmed
  • @ChristmasForJuan has been confirmed for Archer, and sign up is also confirmed
  • All eight spots are officially filled, just waiting for @Leona Master Profile
  • @Leona I'm no paragon on character building in my humble opinion, but yep definitely feel free to shoot some ideas my way and I'll see if I can advise
  • Once @Leona Master Profile is sent, I will compile all the profiles, send them to you all via Private Message, and the "Pre-War Stage" will commence
  • I will make a new thread for the "Pre-War Stage", and the "War Act I, War Act II...War Act nn..." as many as are required for completion, at what feels like good cut off points in the story
  • I also encourage any questions that need to be asked Out Of Character to remain in the Private Message Shared Chat I will establish, so that they don't clutter the RP window when it commences
  • The chronological order of summonings is the order in which the finalized Master Profiles were sent to me hence (Jumper is not inclusive; none of us are aware when Jumper was summoned): Assassin, Saber, Rider, Caster, Lancer, Archer, Berserker. 
Edited by EdwardSunnyDisposition