What age do you think Leo met Niles?

Savior_of_Dreams

I'm curious to find out opinions from other Fates' fans regarding Leo and Niles (two of my favorite male characters in the game). They met when Niles' group of thieves broke into Krakenburg to steal and left him behind as a distraction, and Leo spared his life, though the game never indicates just how old either character was, or how long ago it was. Personally, I see Leo between 17 and 19 years old, and Niles to be significantly older, anywhere from 25-27. Seeing as they would have to have met some time ago in order for Leo and Niles to trust each other as much as they do, I put Leo at about 7, Niles at 17, when they met. Leo doesn't seem the type to have had a very innocent, carefree childhood (between his rivalry with Xander, Garon's descent into madness, and Kamui's abduction, plus his own bookish, studious nature), but rather the kind of person who acts far more mature than his age requires (he even scolds Elise for acting like a child when, come on, the kid looks and acts like she's twelve, age censorship be damned). Anyway, I don't think it would be unlikely for Leo, even as young as seven, to confront a would-be thief and willingly spare his life despite his pleas for death. Niles always struck me as older than Leo, and it seems interesting that an adolescent, near-adult male would find himself at the mercy of a child, magical prodigy or not. The ten-year age gap would allow sufficient time for their bond to form (yes I know their supports are rather awkward on Leo's end, but generally speaking they seem quite close) and for them to trust each other as they do. But hey, that's just my theory.

Anyway, I'm curious to find out what everyone else thinks. What are your views on Leo and Niles' meeting, if any?

I don't think 10 years would be necessary for that close a bond. It could have easily only been 2-3 years ago. Leo's mature, but I think that would be a bit much for a 7 year old.

Given that Leo apparently planned on executing Niles personally, it probably wasn't too long ago, maybe three or four years. In that case, Leo would be about 13 or 14, while Niles would be (in my view, anyway) around 20 or 21. The reason that Niles is so dedicated to Leo is because Leo spared him and gave his life purpose, so it doesn't really require a long time for such dedication to develop.

I'd say that Leo was probably a little bit older on the account that he was going to end Niles himself. Honestly I think of Leo as being like in his late teens or early 20s, so I'd say about 14 or 15 would be about right for him feeling this way. Old enough to feel that he can have someone personally executed or feels up to snuff to do it himself, but young enough to have some compassion when someone says something that he finds intriguing. Ages are hard to peg though. We know that Niles knew Leo for a while though because of Elise's support with Niles. Niles at least knew Leo from when Leo was younger than Elise based on the fact that Niles knew that Leo was attending war meetings when he was younger than Elise. So... It depends on how old you think Elise is. Granted he says "sure, probably," but we can't tell if that's Niles being a jerk or authentic there.

Ages in this game are weird.

Edited by Augestein

I'd say that Leo was probably a little bit older on the account that he was going to end Niles himself. Honestly I think of Leo as being like in his late teens or early 20s, so I'd say about 14 or 15 would be about right for him feeling this way. Old enough to feel that he can have someone personally executed or feels up to snuff to do it himself, but young enough to have some compassion when someone says something that he finds intriguing. Ages are hard to peg though. We know that Niles knew Leo for a while though because of Elise's support with Niles. Niles at least knew Leo from when Leo was younger than Elise based on the fact that Niles knew that Leo was attending war meetings when he was younger than Elise. So... It depends on how old you think Elise is. Granted he says "sure, probably," but we can't tell if that's Niles being a jerk or authentic there.

Ages in this game are weird.

Elise is "technically an adult". I think she's 14-15 at most, and I guess Leo as around 17. Corrin seems to be late teens, and is older, so 17-18 seems to be the upper limit for Leo's age. This could mean that Niles has been Leo's retainer for 2-3 years.

Elise is "technically an adult". I think she's 14-15 at most, and I guess Leo as around 17. Corrin seems to be late teens, and is older, so 17-18 seems to be the upper limit for Leo's age. This could mean that Niles has been Leo's retainer for 2-3 years.

That might be right, I just have a hard time with it because Elise can't remember Garon being nice, but Leo can. There aren't many things that my sister can remember being 3 years older than me that I can't, so I find that odd. Although, it might just be my fault for liking Riviera a lot and seeing Lena in Elise and always seeing her as like... 19 lol.

That might be right, I just have a hard time with it because Elise can't remember Garon being nice, but Leo can. There aren't many things that my sister can remember being 3 years older than me that I can't, so I find that odd. Although, it might just be my fault for liking Riviera a lot and seeing Lena in Elise and always seeing her as like... 19 lol.

I'm three years older than my sister, and one of my first memories is going to the hospital to see her after she was born. I was sitting in the front seat with no car seat. Times were different in the 80's...

Leo probably remembers Garon right before he became a goo monster, since he seems to have turned shortly before Elise was born, and Leo is 3 years older than Elise, give or take a year or two.

Leo has memories of a nice Garon from when he was very young, though. Kids typically don't ride on dad's shoulders past the age of 5/6. If Elise is 3 years younger, she could have been 2/3 when Garon turned, and she'd have no memory of it. It's quite common for people not to be able to remember further back than 4 years of age (I have a couple of memories from when I was 3, but they pertain to clothes/toys and I couldn't tell you what my parents were like at all).

There's also the possibility that the kids saw very little of their father and Elise doesn't have memories of him until she wasn't much older. With all the concubine/mistress rivalry, it's kind of hinted at that Elise grew up somewhat sheltered and she probably only saw him at formal functions.