Fire Emblem If Fan Translation (Still Alive!)

ShadySheikah

On 4/24/2023 at 11:59 AM, ShadySheikah said:

Patch update v4.3 has been released!

https://github.com/TeamIf/FireEmblemIf-FanTranslation/releases/tag/v4.3

Hey everyone! Our very humble apology for the wait, but we hope that what we have to share today will more than make up for it.

But first, it's been a long, long time since we've said anything about this project, and you deserve an explanation about what happened.

To keep it long story short, we burned out pretty quickly after the 4.2 release, which we put out in June 2017. On top of that, I got a sudden job offer half-way around the world which would keep me too busy to spend much time working on the project. At the time, no one wanted to take over the steering wheel, and activity pretty much died after that.

I really wanted to see this project to the end, and the reason I didn't update you guys earlier is because I wanted to come back with something good to share, and unfortunately that just didn't work out, and for that I apologize. Same for the people who reached out to me on social media asking about the project. A thousand apologies if I didn't respond to you, and I hope with what we have to share today, you'll give us another chance.

Luckily, today I get to bring you that good news I was hoping for!

We're not back 100%. Our team is much smaller and progress will be slow. But we are determined to see this translation project to the very end.

A lot has happened since the last patch in 2017. We're aware of the other ongoing Fates retranslation project, and we wish them nothing but the best with it; we know how difficult it can be to translate a big game like this. As we understand it, the creator of that project is taking a hybrid approach; more accurate but still somewhat localized. As a result, to ensure our project can still serve a purpose, we want to re-focus on our original goal: delivering a translation as accurate to the Japanese source as possible.

To that end, we've decided to shift our naming convention from a hybrid of JP and localized names to solely JP when we can help it, unless a historical series naming convention makes more sense.

For this release, we've taken steps to change the kingdom names. Hoshido will become Byakuya, and Nohr will become Anya. Please note that this conversion is still a work in progress, and many areas of the game still display the old names at the moment! We'll fix those as quickly as we can, and apologize for the potential annoyance that may cause in the meantime.

So what's new in this release?

We've revised the chapters for the Nohr/Anya route, along with some chapters for Hoshido/Byakuya and Invisible Kingdom. We've also edited and added a total of 55 new supports:

Reveal hidden contents

Ignis / Kinu
Ignis / Soleil
Ignis / Velour
Eponine / Siegbert
Eponine / Shinonome
Eponine / Soleil
Eponine / KamuiM
Eponine / Matoi
Ophelia / Shinonome
Ophelia / Soleil
Ophelia / KamuiM
KannaF / Kinu
KannaF / Shinonome
KannaF / Velour
KannaF / Mitama
KannaF / Midoriko
KannaM / Siegbert
KannaM / Mitama
KannaM / Lutz
Kisaragi / Kinu
Kisaragi / Dia
Kinu / Shinonome
Kinu / Syalla
Kinu / Velour
Gurei / Soleil
Gurei / Hisame
Siegbert / Sophie
Siegbert / Soleil
Shigure / Soleil
Shigure / Velour
Shinonome / Syalla
Shinonome / Sophie
Shinonome / Matoi
Shinonome / Mitama
Shinonome / Midoriko
Syalla / KamuiF
Syalla / Matoi
Sophie / Soleil
Sophie / Matoi
Soleil / Foleo
Soleil / Mitama
Soleil / Lutz
Dia / Oboro
Dia / Orochi
Dia / Kazahana
Dia / Setsuna
Dia / Matoi
Dia / Rinkah
Hisame / Matoi
Hisame / Midoriko
Foleo / Midoriko
KamuiM / Mitama
KamuiM / Midoriko
Velour / Lutz
Matoi / Mitama

System text and other menus haven't really been touched in this release, but we're hoping to get to them in the near-ish future.

As always, this is a constant work in progress, and things will probably be broken or look weird. If you see anything that doesn't seem right, please leave an issue on our GitHub! I promise we'll be much more active there as well.

I hope you'll continue to support us as we slowly but surely work our way to the end of this journey. If you have any questions and comments about the project, the team, or anything else, please feel free to ask away! And please keep an eye on our progress; I'm sure you'll see more from us in the very near future.

And thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sticking with us for this long. It means the world to us, and we won't let you down.

if it's not a problem for me to ask, is it really not possible to localize Byakuya and Anya to something that stays true to the Japanese meaning? because it seems rather weird that it's just Byakuya and Anya the only terms in Japanese, but Invisible Kingdom is still in English making the translation seem rather inconsistent with its terminology. My personal suggestion would be just translating Anya since the Dark Night Kingdom is clearly influenced a lot by western kingdoms and such, while Byakuya is very obviously based on the imperial Japan and other countries of Asia so leaving 白夜王国 romanized would be okay, though I would've liked to see both properly localized since a 1:1 translation of them would make some dialogue flow not very smoothly.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone help me with this? since v4.3 is out i'm trying patching myself with decrypted FEIF cia i found on nyaa.irs site (they already included v4.2 patched but i want to update to v4.3 by myself). After selecting patch folder and the game dir, i'm stumbled upon this " Access to the path 'game.cia' is denied " error message. I don't own 3DS console and been following the if patcher guide (to my understanding seems only required decrypted cia upon patching stage). I'm wondering if these need 'jailbreak' or alike since i have no idea about rom hacking and modding. So any help and suggestion would appreciated 🙏

ss1.thumb.png.8a14dfb3c61b7ce008212daa1fd03362.png

1 hour ago, Ayin said:

Could anyone help me with this? since v4.3 is out i'm trying patching myself with decrypted FEIF cia i found on nyaa.irs site (they already included v4.2 patched but i want to update to v4.3 by myself). After selecting patch folder and the game dir, i'm stumbled upon this " Access to the path 'game.cia' is denied " error message. I don't own 3DS console and been following the if patcher guide (to my understanding seems only required decrypted cia upon patching stage). I'm wondering if these need 'jailbreak' or alike since i have no idea about rom hacking and modding. So any help and suggestion would appreciated 🙏

Try running the patcher as admin

On 5/12/2023 at 6:46 PM, Cooligno1234 said:

if it's not a problem for me to ask, is it really not possible to localize Byakuya and Anya to something that stays true to the Japanese meaning? because it seems rather weird that it's just Byakuya and Anya the only terms in Japanese, but Invisible Kingdom is still in English making the translation seem rather inconsistent with its terminology. My personal suggestion would be just translating Anya since the Dark Night Kingdom is clearly influenced a lot by western kingdoms and such, while Byakuya is very obviously based on the imperial Japan and other countries of Asia so leaving 白夜王国 romanized would be okay, though I would've liked to see both properly localized since a 1:1 translation of them would make some dialogue flow not very smoothly.

We decided on Anya because it still sounds pretty western. And we can't "romanize" Invisible Kingdom because it's written in katakana, so even in Japanese it's just Invisible Kingdom said in english.

Edited by Kyonko802

8 hours ago, Ayin said:

I would recommend to download the hshop backup instead
from what I know, the Cia included in the 4.2 torrent is already patched, and the patcher works with an unmodified copy of the game as far as I know

Any of the Team IF member can guide you to a way to decrypt the cia on PC if you do not own a 3DS yourself 

3 hours ago, ElTioJohn said:

This is a stupid question but, this patch is for Fire Emblem If Special Edition right??

Yes, but it can also work with the others. You'll need to know the game codes if using ROMFS method though because each game has a different ID. ROMFS also will not work with IK sadly because it's a dlc, and so will require the patch. I'm about halfway done with editing Byakuya and IK at this point. My schedule is about to switch up a bit though so there will be a few days I can't get any work done.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:21 AM, xXSoulGeoXx said:

I would recommend to download the hshop backup instead
from what I know, the Cia included in the 4.2 torrent is already patched, and the patcher works with an unmodified copy of the game as far as I know

Any of the Team IF member can guide you to a way to decrypt the cia on PC if you do not own a 3DS yourself 

hshop? is there a feif sp in there? i have playing in fate before so i just wanna rerun in IK route while enjoying the cut contents.

Yeah that's what i thought to based a testimony on internet, some of them said it's also workable on localization version too, and here i'm wondering why it won't budge on my end, neither the clean version or the already patched one🤔. So I'm assuming that file in torrent is not decrypted so the patcher can't access into it? i think i'm gonna try looking different rom from different site first and see if there's a difference.

I think i'm gonna leave it the error dialogue box here incase someone knew something:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'game.cia' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileInfo.Delete()
   at IfPatcher.Model.Workspace.Clean()
   at IfPatcher.MainForm.MainForm_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4614.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
IfPatcher
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/IfTranslationPatch_4-3/IfPatcher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4550.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4605.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4390.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4605.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

Edited by Ayin
typo

On 5/16/2023 at 3:30 PM, Kyonko802 said:

Try running the patcher as admin

We decided on Anya because it still sounds pretty western. And we can't "romanize" Invisible Kingdom because it's written in katakana, so even in Japanese it's just Invisible Kingdom said in english.

Thank you for replying, and yeah I just checked on my Japanese save file that it's written in Katakana (don't know how I missed it though), regardless I'm very much excited about this project being back so good luck on it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way around this error? JPN dlc works fine with if patcher but it keeps spitting out this error when using USA dlc with the patcher, also got the dlc from a 2nd source in case of a bad dump but I still get the error. I'm looking to play 4.3 with english voices, I got the USA base game patched but I just can't patch the USA dlc for some reason. 

Alternatively, could I just use the patched JPN dlc with my patched USA base game?

image.thumb.png.cf63fa6c90514bdc2cf8d209e7c821c2.png

Are Japanese save files compatible with the translation? Because I'd like to be able to continue my Conquest playthrough of the Japanese version on the fan translation since I'm already in Chapter 18, I also would like to be able to read the support conversations I've unlocked 

On 5/29/2023 at 4:09 AM, Cooligno1234 said:

Are Japanese save files compatible with the translation? Because I'd like to be able to continue my Conquest playthrough of the Japanese version on the fan translation since I'm already in Chapter 18, I also would like to be able to read the support conversations I've unlocked 

The patch is for the Japanese game, why would the Japanese saves not work lol

On 5/27/2023 at 6:45 AM, lionart290 said:

Is there any way around this error? JPN dlc works fine with if patcher but it keeps spitting out this error when using USA dlc with the patcher, also got the dlc from a 2nd source in case of a bad dump but I still get the error. I'm looking to play 4.3 with english voices, I got the USA base game patched but I just can't patch the USA dlc for some reason. 

Alternatively, could I just use the patched JPN dlc with my patched USA base game?

image.thumb.png.cf63fa6c90514bdc2cf8d209e7c821c2.png

The patcher is probably having an issue detecting the US DLC. The only way around this is to manually extract the romfs of the dlc, replace the files, and rebuild it, unfortunately. The JP version of the game has everything that was missing from the US version so it's easier to just play that one. I'll try to finish all the remaining second gen supports quickly.

Is there any way to restore ALL character names to original names? 

There's nothing more cringe than hearing a different name than you have in the subs. Changing names is probably the dumbest thing to do in translation. Is there a patch that corrects all the names in this translation to the original Japanese ones?

(or this patch is already using original names and I misunderstood something?)

On 6/5/2023 at 7:04 AM, Cooligno1234 said:

why do I get this message when trying to patch the dlc? the dlc is for the japanese version, I think it may be because it's encrypted and the patcher asks for a decrypted cia but I don't know how to decrypt the file

FxqUVm0WYAAk6-i.jpg

You need decrypted cia.

batch-cia-3ds-decryptor-a-simple-batch-f

Use this.

Edited by hououin

On 6/7/2023 at 7:39 AM, hououin said:

There's nothing more cringe than hearing a different name than you have in the subs. Changing names is probably the dumbest thing to do in translation. Is there a patch that corrects all the names in this translation to the original Japanese ones?

You need decrypted cia.

Use this.

I tried days ago and couldn't make it to work, maybe my dump was bad

On 6/7/2023 at 4:39 AM, hououin said:

You need decrypted cia.

Use this.

We are using the original character names from JP, such as Marx or Luna. There are a couple I think that use the english version though, and we are intent on changing those as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm having issue trying to use this patch.

I've procured the American .cia, but the patcher demanded a decrypted file. So I used the Batch CIA 3DS Decryptor, but it outputs a .cci file, and the patcher won't accept it. Am I missing a step here? Is there a .cia to decrypted .cia tool I can use on my PC?

edit: So it seems like this tool could convert cci to cia (https://github.com/rohithvishaal/3ds-converters), issue is, I haven't the foggiest clue on how to run the 3ds.py file. pls help

edit 2: nvm, found a decrypted .cia copy elsewhere.

Edited by VZHAN

• 2 weeks later...

So I have an odd error when attempting to patch the DLC, after all the loading bars fill up it stops at the end of the last bar and spits out the error "Rebuilt CIA cannot be found".

Edit: I've gotten the game patched, and the DLC unpacked just to clarify

Edited by Mgkh1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2023 at 11:25 AM, Kyonko802 said:

Yes, but it can also work with the others. You'll need to know the game codes if using ROMFS method though because each game has a different ID. ROMFS also will not work with IK sadly because it's a dlc, and so will require the patch. I'm about halfway done with editing Byakuya and IK at this point. My schedule is about to switch up a bit though so there will be a few days I can't get any work done.

Oh hey, a little bit off topic here, but related to your work considering you're doing the patching of IK.

I've recently started porting mods and such into Fire Emblem IF, and ran into FE IF treating IK as a DLC. You're editing it through a patcher, that I get. What I'm wondering about is, if I do not have the skill to actually create a patcher, any mod will have to rely on a modified 0000001a.app if I am to edit IK in any shape or form. That would mean, I'd have to redistribute .app. What is Team If's stance on this? Have you thought about this and that's exactly why you use a patcher? Would distributing a modified .app be considered piracy, or not (considering it still needs a CIA to function, I think)?

Otherwise, thankyou for the work you're doing. Your work is what's finally moved me to start porting FE 14 (US) mods into FE If (JP).

• 2 months later...