Hi guys. I need some advice on my FE4 pairings. I'm not very good at this game's pairing system, so I would like some help. The only ones I know I'll do are Levin x Tiltyu and Claude x Sylvia. I don't like playing with substitutes.

Adean/Aideen/Aidean: Jamka or Midir/Midayle. Adean's son wants to inherit bows from his father. The effects on Rana's stats don't matter.

Aira/Ira: doesn't matter.

Lachesis/Raquesis: Everyone outside of Ardan is a decent dad.

Fury: Again everyone but Ardan is a decent father.

Briggid: Again everyone but Ardan is a decent father.

Edited by Excellen Browning

Something more specific? Like, two or three good dads?

For me:

Aideen: I like Midir, but I also like Jamke if I end up pairing Holyn with Briggid

Briggid: Jamke or Holyn, depending on who you want with Aideen or Aira

Aira: Holyn, but if you paired him with Briggid, Jamke is cool, but if he's taken you can also use Lex. I've also heard Noish is a really good pairing for her. As said in the previous post, most fathers will result in great kids for Ayra

Fury: If you're already doing Levin for Tiltyu, which is still a great pairing, I have heard Noish is a good father for her, which makes sense since Sety is going to be OP anyways and Noish's skills and everything really work great for Fee.

Lachesis: Beowolf if only so Fin can keep his stuff in Gen 2, though some people say Fin is better. Personally, I found Nanna the only Lachesis kid worth using, and Beowolf works for her just fine.

Something more specific? Like, two or three good dads?

If you're dead-set on Lewyn/Tailte and Claude/Sylvia, you COULD do the following:

Pair Erin(Fury, whatever) with Azel to pass down his magic talents to Ced or pair her with Noish to make Fee more of a physical unit.

On the other hand, Noish can be a fun partner for Ayra because the kids end up with a ton of skills. The poster above is right that you can do anything with Ayra and have it turn out fine. I also think Jamke is a good partner for Ayra because the kids again get crazy skills and Ayra's holy blood makes up for Jamke's bad SKL stats.

Raquesis can use someone with Pursuit-- even Alec doesn't do a bad job there. Her kids won't get sword skills from Holyn or Dew because her kids are both mounted units, so just roll with "some guy with Pursuit".

Holyn and Dew OTOH work well with Briggid's kids on account of the sword skills. I personally think Holyn/Briggid does the best job but you can experiment. If you're not using Lex for anyone else (Lex/Taillte and Lex/Sylvia are both fun IMO) he can supposedly work with Briggid also, but I've never tried it.

Aideen has no skills to pass down, so if you're not pairing her with Claude to give her daughter super-staff ability, you also might also want to give her a guy with Pursuit that you're not pairing with Raquesis. Midayle is easiest and lets Aideen's son inherit a great bow, but if you pair Aideen with Finn then Lana gets a special 5+ MGC boost in Chapter 7 that lets her cap MGC early. Midayle!Lester is easier to use in the early chapters but I've found Finn!Lester better over the long run (he can get a Brave Bow in Ch8) because he died a lot less.

The whole thing about "Finn loses his weapons if you pair him" is a non-issue IMO. If you level him up and promote him by the end of Chapter 3, he'll be fine, and you can sell his lances to someone like Erin who'll make better use of them and pass them onto Fee.

• Aideen: Midir, because he will get a brave bow from her.
  • Ayra: Honestly it's almost impossible to screw her children. Lex, Holyn and Noish are excellent. Lex gives strength, defense, vantage and paragon. Holyn gives luna. Honstely I find Ayra x Holyn a little bit too op already. Noish gives strength critical which is nice.
  • Sylvia: Azel because he'll give continue to their children and will make Corple decent.
  • Tiltyu: Lewyn because you want to have access to Forseti early on. Azel and Lex are honorable mentions too. Lex has vantage which makes a deadly combiantion with Tiltyu's wrath.
  • Fury: Honestly everyone.
  • Lachesis: Honestly everyone.
  • Briggid: Everyone who's not a mage.

Favored pairings:

• Aideen x Midir
  • Sylvia x Azel
  • Briggid x Jamke
  • Ayra x Noish or Lex or Holyn
  • Fury x Lex (because I prefer to have a Fee with strength and defense) or Alec (because of Nihil) or Holyn
  • Tiltyu x Levin
  • Lachesis x Beowulf or Finn
Edited by Eleanor Hume

Aideen: She should be paired with either Midir or Jamke so her son can inherit their bows. Better to be paired with Midir so he gets the Brave bow.

Ayra: Anyone honestly, but the best would be any sword weilding unit, so her son can inherit their swords.

Briggid: Either Jamke or Dew, or any other good unit that can't screw up the daughter( yeah the daughter inherits from father). Dew would be a better choice since daughter can inherit his swords and his personal skill.

Lachesis: anyone. Best would be Beowulf, I guess.

Erin: I usually pair her with Lewyn but Azel can also work, or any other unit that won't screw up Fee.

Ayra: I'd recommend Dew, but really many others work (Lex, Holyn, Noish, Jamke). Holyn or Noish can pass swords down, but the others are also workable.

Lachesis: Beowolf is really the best choice. She can have Fin too, but Beowolf gives swords to his son. Alec's also an alright choice for the same reason. Really, both kids want pursuit from their dad.

Fury: Claude or Azel are good choices. Noish is alright if you can accept Sety never having good magic. I'd prefer using Levin, but you're going with Tiltyu/Levin and that's got its obvious advantages.

Brigged: Holyn allows Patty to inherit more swords (i.e. pretty much all but Silvers and the other Blades.), as well as Luna and gives some seriously high stats (Faval has over 500, likely one of the series's highest). Jamke's good for multiattacking for both kids, and Dew's also a good choice for Patty, and Faval gets to repair Ichival for cheaper.

Aideen:

Midir makes Aideen's son a competent bowfighter, her daughter will be useful with any father. Midir is not in high demand as far as other female units are concerned and Aideen x Midir is a very easy pairing to do. Jamka also works but you might wanna consider pairing him up with Aira.

Aira:

Anybody except Azel, Levin and Claude works - ideally you'd pick whoever out of Jamka, Noish, Dew, Holyn, Lex or Ardan is not used in other pairings. I prefer Jamka because his skills complement Aira's skill pretty nicely and their movement matches very well so they're easy to pair up. But Noish, Dew and Holyn are all good fathers for her children as well.

Lachesis:

Beowulf is widely considered to be her best match because he provides the Pursuit skill for their children [+ Charge], passes down Swords and has an easy time pairing up with her in general. There's no other female unit that has much of a reason to pair up with him so this one's kind of a no-brainer. People will suggest Lachesis x Azel from time to time but that one is not recommended for first-timers. No reason to not do Lachesis x Beowulf.

Sylvia:

Doesn't really matter. The substitute characters for her children are good enough to make her pairings a secondary concern to you. Claude is a decent choice if you haven't paired him up with anybody else because you'll get the Valkyrie Staff in Gen 2 and Lex is decent because he passes down the Elite Skill which is useful for both children.

Fury:

Go with Noish for this one. It gives you the strongest possibly Fee and an incredibly powerful Sety. Fury x Claude is good but slow and not very beginner-friendly. Both of her children should be OK with just about any father though.

Tiltyu:

Levin is the right choice here. Nothing comes close to it. Not Azel, not Lex, not anybody else.

Briggid:

Faval is extremely stable and not very important a unit to use in gen 2 so the main focus is optimizing Patty - Holyn would be a good choice in that case because he allows her to use the Hero Sword and because he passes down the Luna skill [usefull in the arena]. Other possibilities exist but it's honestly hard to make Patty a good fighting unit so Holyn is probably your best bet.

In my opinion here is a list of good pairings excluding the ones you've decided on.

Ayra:

• Lex - Probably her best pairing. It gives the kids elite, great growth rates, and a good skill set. You can't go wrong with Lex.
  • Noish - Gives the kids a crazy skill set, takes a little time to get but the kids are hilarious in combat. Also gives Ulster inheritance.
  • Jamka - He's similar to Noish but lacks inheritance.
  • Arden - Similar to Lex but no elite. Only really do this is Lex is taken.

Aideen:

• Midir - Lester gets bows and a great skill set. His growths are alright but it's probably his best dad. Doesn't do anything good or bad for Lana
  • Jamka - Similar to Midir but trades pursuit for continue. If Lester gets the pursuit ring he'll be better but make sure you don't have too many people wanting the ring.
  • Azel - The main draw to this pairing is the rescue staff. Lester kinda sucks though and Lana is only marginally better.

Raquesis:

• Finn - Fan pairing really. Nanna and Dermott will both be great but this pairing is extremely hard to set up and hurts Finn.
  • Beowulf - Gives the kids everything they want and is pretty easy to get. Nothing broken or silly here though, just good units.
  • Lex - Gives Elite which is great on both the kids. The kids will lack pursuit though so be wary of that.
  • Noish - If Dermott gets the pursuit ring he's pretty silly in combat. Only do this pairing if you can afford to give him it.

Erin/Fury:

• Noish - This is pretty much a Fee pairing though Ced isn't bad. Fee gets an outright ridiculous skill set and great growth rates.
  • Lex - Gets Fee elite so she can become a monster faster. Ced can also like Elite but he doesn't need it.
  • Alec - Gimmick pairing. Fee gets Nihil meaning she takes normal damage from arrows. That's it though.

Briggid:

• Lex - Probably Patty's best dad. Vantage + Sleep sword combo is great and Patty's growths are fantastic along with an Elite boon to get her to promotion faster. Faval also does pretty well with Elite.
  • Holyn - Patty is pretty good giving her B swords and Faval has a pretty silly HP growth. It also gives Faval a good skill growth which fixes his accuracy issues.
  • Finn - Prayer on Patty is great along with getting her pursuit before promotion. Hurts Finn though, marginally.
  • Arden - Similar to Lex but no elite. Only do this is Lex is taken.
  • Azel - Gives Patty a decent magic growth allowing her to deal decent damage with magic swords. Kinda gimmicky but a surprisingly easy pairing to get.

I didn't include some other decent pairings but you should be able to find some combination with this list above. Alec, Beowulf, and Midir are decent filler for any pairing that isn't getting pursuit.

Edited by Valkama

Briggid:

• Lex - Probably Patty's best dad. Vantage + Sleep sword combo is great and Patty's growths are fantastic along with an Elite boon to get her to promotion faster. Faval also does pretty well with Elite.
  • Holyn - Patty is pretty good giving her B swords and Faval has a pretty silly HP growth. It also gives Faval a good skill growth which fixes his accuracy issues.
  • Finn - Prayer on Patty is great along with getting her pursuit before promotion. Hurts Finn though.

I would argue Finn/Bridget (and Finn/Taillte) really hurt him less than other pairings in one respect. By the time Bridget and Taillte arrive on the map, you can easily already have a promoted Finn and you don't need to worry overmuch about getting him more kills. If you play the opening phases of the chapter efficiently (not LTC obviously, just seize Silvail by... turn 18?) then Bridget and Finn rack up enough points to get hitched without even be close to one another. If you've had him get the Thunder Sword drop from Jacoban, then BOOM. Sell everything he's got but rings and that sword and Patty is set. Same thing for Taillte except they have to be glued together for at least one turn for her to beat out Bridget.

Both are less frustrating than trying to keep him with Raquesis in Ch2 when she has her stupid bodyguards and he really needs the EXP.

I would argue Finn/Bridget (and Finn/Taillte) really hurt him less than other pairings in one respect. By the time Bridget and Taillte arrive on the map, you can easily already have a promoted Finn and you don't need to worry overmuch about getting him more kills. If you play the opening phases of the chapter efficiently (not LTC obviously, just seize Silvail by... turn 18?) then Bridget and Finn rack up enough points to get hitched without even be close to one another. If you've had him get the Thunder Sword drop from Jacoban, then BOOM. Sell everything he's got but rings and that sword and Patty is set. Same thing for Taillte except they have to be glued together for at least one turn for her to beat out Bridget.

Both are less frustrating than trying to keep him with Raquesis in Ch2 when she has her stupid bodyguards and he really needs the EXP.

More talking about Gen 2 where he only starts with a Iron Lance. He can do fine with it but it would be preferable for him to get something else. The Raquesis pairing really does hurt him though a lot more than Briggid.

Lol if you insist on using Patty she has two or maybe three worthwhile dads and Lex and Finn definitely aren't them.

Lex and Finn are about optimizing her ability to get money, not about making her a good combat unit. She really doesn't have a dad that makes her worthwhile in combat, Holyn is probably the best and even then she still is mediocre at best.

Edited by Valkama

If you're interested in some gimmick play you could do Azel and pass down Jacoban's thunder sword. Faval will be fine anyway.

Lex and Finn are about optimizing her ability to get money, not about making her a good combat unit. She really doesn't have a dad that makes her worthwhile in combat, Holyn is probably the best and even then she still is mediocre at best.

If you want to make patty get money you hand her a magic sword. You don't give her a dad that has some real difficulties getting her that.

If you want to make patty get money you hand her a magic sword. You don't give her a dad that has some real difficulties getting her that.

How is it difficult at all to get her a magic sword, she has tons of money with these pairings? She can win pretty much any arena and also survive enemy phases very well.

Edited by Valkama

I'd actually argue that a Magic Sword based Patty with Azel as a father would somewhat be able to hold her own in combat. That's the only thing I can think of though and she'd still suck in the arena unless you're using some good ol' cheesy Sleep Sword abuse.

Aideen - Midir or Jamke. They're really the more optimal pairings for Aideen

Aira - The swordtwins are virtually unscrewable, but if you want a different pairing, go with Dew. Sol is fun on the swordtwins and Bargain is nice to have around.

Raquesis - Beowolf and Finn are usually the most common, but Azel is also a fine choice so the kids can use magic swords.

Fury - Azel's okay, but a nice one to try out is Alec, who gives you a Fee that's immune to extra bow damage.

Briggid - Holyn is my favorite, no question. If you REALLY want to use Patty this gives her the Hero/Brave Sword before promotion, so you can train her way more easily. Dew is also a fine choice because of Bargain and Sol doesn't go to waste.

You can always use Lex as a wild card father since he passes down nice skills and growts and none of his children are affected by weapon inheritance.

Here's my rundown of pairings I like:

Adean: Midayle of Jamuka. Midayle gives a more well-rounded Lester, with pursuit. Jamuka results in a stronger but less accurate Lester, without pursuit. Pursuit ring can cover this, but you might wanna have someone else use it instead. Brave Bow and Killer Bow are a must for either pairing, I personally favor Midayle though.

Ayra: Ayra's kids are virtually idiot-proof so you can basically pair her with anyone, but the best choices imo are Lex, Noish, or Finn. Lex gives Neir blood which results in tanky speedy little swordfighters that level fast and tear through anything. Noish gives critical which puts that Odo blood to use in getting crit hits, and Finn just results in possibly the most well rounded G2 characters in the game growths-wise. Lesser but still interesting pairs are Jamuka (this will give both kids Continue from the gate, so Larcei doesn't have to promote to get it and Ulster doesn't miss out on it period), and Holy (who gives the kids Major Odo blood due to inbreeding, which through an exploit can let you give the Balmung to Ayra's kids if you like being a memelord like that :V)

Lachesis: Finn, Beowulf, or maybe Azel. Finn and Beowulf are both "canon" pairings (as Finn is Nana's father and Beowulf is clearly Delmud's due to him being able to use the Beosword in FE5), and both are essentially interchangable for one another: Beowulf makes the kids slightly stronger all around but less dodgy; Finn again provides excellent balanced growths and the Prayer skill to help in emergency pinches. Azel is the wild card, Vala blood means Nana will be a great healer, Delmud's strength won't suffer because of Hezul blood and the Vala blood will make him great with magic swords too, which Azel can pass down if you promote him.

Sylvia: You already said you're set on Claude, and that's arguably her best choice. Alec is fun for story purposes (and awareness is a good skill to have on anyone), but that's really it. Levin can be fun for keks because Forsetti Corpul is hilarious.

Fury: Levin is hands down the best for her, but you want to pair him with Tiltyu. That said, Levin is still the best, his holy blood results in mad speed growths which is essential for flyers, and Sety comes out being a goddamn beast of a man. Other good pairs though are Alec or Noish, Alec gives Awareness which makes Fee immune to arrow crits; Noish is good for his critical skill. Sety gets low magic with either pair though, but the dude is basically RNG proof so it doesn't much matter. Maybe consider Azel for A rank fire magic, but skills on both kids will be lacking. Claude gives Sety the Valkyrie staff and makes Fee a super healer on wings.

Tiltyu: You're set on Levin here and that's not bad, it means Arthur comes in at the start of G2 with Forsetti already in his hands basically making him a Disc 1 Nuke for G2, and Tinny can use Tornado as well. I however prefer Azel which results in a more balanced squad all around (so Levin can go with Fury) as his Vala with Tiltyu's Tordo results in A rank fire and Lightning magic for both kids plus they get pursuit. Lex is well liked for the hilarious Elite+Ambush+Wrath combo, but you won't be doubling and without those wrath crits your magic attacks will be subpar.

Briggid: Holyn is imo the best pair here, held back only because it has no story material in game. Odo blood gives MAD SKILL to both kids, making Faval a peerless sharpshooter, and Patty gets B rank swords out the gate so she can use the hero's sword and actually double hit things. Dew is also good because Bargain helps Faval with Ichival maintenance and Patty spends less on stuff making her a good pawn trader and gold lender. Jamuka is alright but he has poor skill growth which is bad for Faval and honestly Continue+Duel are overkill on Faval because the Ichival packs so much of a punch as it is. Noish gives critical, which is again nice but kind of wasted over kill because he Ichival is a goddamn missile launcher.

Edited by CappnRob

How is it difficult at all to get her a magic sword, she has tons of money with these pairings? She can win pretty much any arena and also survive enemy phases very well.

Have you ever looked at Patty's stats? The only reason patty could ever clear the arena is because of sleep sword shenanigans. And every variety of Patty can do that. And Patty really can't survive enemy phase in gen 2, unless you go out of your way to over level her severely. And even then mate came and endgame come around, and she doesn't have a holy weapon to survive it.

Have you ever looked at Patty's stats? The only reason patty could ever clear the arena is because of sleep sword shenanigans. And every variety of Patty can do that. And Patty really can't survive enemy phase in gen 2, unless you go out of your way to over level her severely. And even then mate came and endgame come around, and she doesn't have a holy weapon to survive it.

Yes I have. Lex gives her very high hp, strength, and defense growths along with elite and vantage making her very good defensively and she grows very fast. Vantage + Sleep sword is the best way to take care of the Arena as waiting for a miss from high hit enemies takes a very long amount of real time. Finn gives prayer which is broken and can allow Patty to see 10+ enemies on enemy phase and she can equip a magic sword and steal all of their money. Prayer isn't as good as Vantage + Sleep sword in the arena but it still gets the job done very well.

Edited by Valkama

In my opinion here is a list of good pairings excluding the ones you've decided on.

Ayra:

• Lex - Probably her best pairing. It gives the kids elite, great growth rates, and a good skill set. You can't go wrong with Lex.
  • Noish - Gives the kids a crazy skill set, takes a little time to get but the kids are hilarious in combat. Also gives Ulster inheritance.
  • Jamka - He's similar to Noish but lacks inheritance.
  • Arden - Similar to Lex but no elite. Only really do this is Lex is taken.

Aideen:

• Midir - Lester gets bows and a great skill set. His growths are alright but it's probably his best dad. Doesn't do anything good or bad for Lana
  • Jamka - Similar to Midir but trades pursuit for continue. If Lester gets the pursuit ring he'll be better but make sure you don't have too many people wanting the ring.
  • Azel - The main draw to this pairing is the rescue staff. Lester kinda sucks though and Lana is only marginally better.

Raquesis:

• Finn - Fan pairing really. Nanna and Dermott will both be great but this pairing is extremely hard to set up and hurts Finn.
  • Beowulf - Gives the kids everything they want and is pretty easy to get. Nothing broken or silly here though, just good units.
  • Lex - Gives Elite which is great on both the kids. The kids will lack pursuit though so be wary of that.
  • Noish - If Dermott gets the pursuit ring he's pretty silly in combat. Only do this pairing if you can afford to give him it.

Erin/Fury:

• Noish - This is pretty much a Fee pairing though Ced isn't bad. Fee gets an outright ridiculous skill set and great growth rates.
  • Lex - Gets Fee elite so she can become a monster faster. Ced can also like Elite but he doesn't need it.
  • Alec - Gimmick pairing. Fee gets Nihil meaning she takes normal damage from arrows. That's it though.

Briggid:

• Finn - Prayer on Patty is great along with getting her pursuit before promotion. Hurts Finn though, marginally.
  • Arden - Similar to Lex but no elite. Only do this is Lex is taken.
  • Azel - Gives Patty a decent magic growth allowing her to deal decent damage with magic swords. Kinda gimmicky but a surprisingly easy pairing to get.

I didn't include some other decent pairings but you should be able to find some combination with this list above. Alec, Beowulf, and Midir are decent filler for any pairing that isn't getting pursuit.

This entire post is basically correct. I would especially recommend Finn/Briggid since they actually pair very quickly, but do keep in mind that Finn starts in Chapter 7 without his stuff in Gen I. But it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Honestly, Finn only coming with an iron lance in G2 isn't -that- bad. He has pursuit, if you leveled him enough he should be a duke knight in G2 or at least a high level lancer, so he could be focused on poking the sword armors so Lief can zap them with his light sword for kills and ez xp.