FE10 Tierlist 2017

Inspired of a similar topic this is an attempt to create a tierlist of the characters from FE10.

Every second day I'll name five characters you can rank and comment.

Voting rule
Please vote in the poll, even if you ranked the unit in your comment. It's much easier for me to visualize. I will accept only the votes from the poll, not from your comments.

Exception: If a voting is passed already and you didn't vote, you may rank your units in your comment (or PM me) afterwards. Then I'll add your belayed vote in my table and update my list. Submitted votings via PM will be made public in this thread.

Micaiah
Growthrates (%):
HP: 40
Strength: 15
Magic: 80
Skill: 40
Speed: 35
Luck: 90
Defense: 20
Resistance: 90
Personal skill: sacrifice
Affinity: darkness

Micaiah is one of the two lords in the game who may not die at any time in the game.
Since she's a magic user she's fragile, so fragile that she'll be oneshotted by almost everyone in harder difficulties. Combined with her rather low speed base and growth, she'll become an ultimate walking target. Never place her on the front, otherwise you'll get Game Over over Game Over.
However in 1-9 she needs stats to survive. In hard mode she requires at least 13 speed and most likely an angelic robe or draco shield to survive a shot and not to get doubled. That means you are almost forced to invest items in an unit you don't want to. At least resolve could fix her speed issue.
So fragile and slow she is, she's still a very powerful unit and an excellent healer in part 3. Thani can oneshot the bosses in 1-2 (you don't have to though), 1-3 and 1-6-2. She needs a bit help to take out the sword armorknight in 1-7. With support she can oneshot each knight of part 1 what is very nice. Otherwise she's can excellent chipper against units with melee weapons.
Her affinity is darkness, a semi-usuable one. It gives her attack boost what is very useful and evasion what she doesn't need because you really don't want to send her in any enemy attack ranges unless it's a magic user. However she has a default A-support with Sothe what is very nice in earlygame at least. However you could support Sothe with an earth unit to increase his evasion and to establish a support between Micaiah and someone who gives attack boost like Leonardo.
She has sacrifice, a indirect healing skill. Since her HP is very low she can't sacrifice all that much.
She's a good contender for using Edward's wrath because she could oneshot everything with a crit in part 1 including Jarod. Resolve works too if her speed is high enough to double with resolve. That means she needs at least 14 speed in HM to double all the generics except for myrms in the endgame of part 1.
6.5 / 10

Tierlist

God-tier (9-10)

• Haar 9.39
  • Jill 9.19

Top-tier (8-8.99)

• Nailah 8.92
  • Titania 8.68
  • Rafiel 8.66
  • Reyson 8.65
  • Ike 8.64
  • Tibarn 8.63
  • Elincia 8.24
  • Volug 8.14

High-tier (7-7.99)

• Shinon 7.98
  • BK 7.88
  • Zihark 7.86
  • Naesala 7.83
  • Nolan 7.81
  • Sothe 7.77
  • Mia 7.74
  • Oscar 7.38
  • Gatrie 7.36
  • Leanne 7.24
  • Janaff 7.24
  • Caineghis 7.21
  • Ulkie 7.13

Up-mid-tier (6-6.99)

• Nephenee 6.98
  • Marcia 6.76
  • Micaiah 6.56
  • Skrimir 6.45
  • Giffca 6.41
  • Ranulf 6.26
  • Edward 6
  • Aran 6

Mid-tier (5-5.99)

• Soren 5.82
  • Tanith 5.76
  • Mordecai 5.67
  • Laura 5.62
  • Boyd 5.55
  • Kieran 5.55
  • Brom 5.27
  • Geoffrey 5.2
  • Rolf 5.14
  • Stefan 5.14
  • Rhys 5.07
  • Calill 5.05

Low-mid-tier (4-4.99)

• Nasir 4.94
  • Sigrun 4.93
  • Tauroneo 4.89
  • Muarim 4.86
  • Volke 4.79
  • Heather 4.64
  • Mist 4.55
  • Sanaki 4.53
  • Nealuchi 4.39
  • Ilyana 4.28
  • Ena 4.27
  • Danved 4.17

Low-tier (2.5-3.99)

• Makalov 3.92
  • Leonardo 3.83
  • Lucia 3.82
  • Lethe 3.59
  • Tormod 3.52
  • Renning 3.5
  • Lehran 3.33
  • Pelleas 3.33
  • Bastian 3.16
  • Kurthnaga 3.09
  • Gareth 3
  • Kyze 2.8
  • Vika 2.59

Bottom-tier (0-2.49)

• Astrid 2.21
  • Meg 2
  • Oliver 1.97
  • Fiona 1.82
  • Lyre 1.43
Edited by Magillanica Lou Mayvin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have trouble rating out of 10 without a frame of reference... but 4 sounds really low for Micaiah. She's an above average unit overall, since Thani one-shots loads of trouble enemies in part 1 (including four bosses, as mentioned). There are multiple Seraph Robes in part 1 and it's foolish not to give her one, so she shouldn't be one-rounded by much (if she gets speed-screwed you can give her Resolve too, though Sothe/Zihark/Volug can all get some use out of that one as well). She's very accurate and 2HKOs pretty much everything at worst which helps raise other units. From Part 3 on she is a staff user with very high magic. She contributes pretty well at pretty much all points in the game though never threatens to dominate.

Compared to her direct compeition in the Dawn Brigade... I'd rate her above all the other tier 1 units except the axe-users (I can see a case for Aran over her? The rest, not so much). But yeah lots of good tier 2 units as competition, so this isn't as good as I'm making it sound. She does need some investment and isn't amazing by any means.

6.5/10

yeah this is kind of tough. she suffers from a combination of dawn brigade availability and the seeming hatred towards mages that tellius has. i'd say her extremely useful healing in part 3 and 4-e puts her to 5, and her limited offensive capability with thani bombing and chipping puts her to 6? not really sure what the criteria for this scale is.

Edited by Radiant head

I pretty much agree with the OP and feel that Micaiah is one of the worse lords in the series due to how slow, squishy, and easily killed she is. Even if you keep her behind the line, archers, hand axe, and javelin/spear wielders can pick her apart anyway. So yeah, 4/10 works for me, with her only real use being occasional healing and Thani.

Edited by Anacybele

Micaiah is far from the best character in her game and far from the best Lord in the series. However, she's kind of interesting to use due to her niche utility that no one else can fill, like her being a Knight/Mount killer in Part 1 and her healing in Part 3. Her fragility and late promotions really hurt her, but she's still useful in some ways.

7/10, bias included.

I'm a whore for these.

With all the good points you gave Miciah (which pretty much sums up my review on her), you gave her an unfairly low score. Micaiah's role is usually pretty misunderstood. Yes, she'll never be a 1RKO machine (not realistically, outside of EM, anyway), but she's not exactly built to be that way, anyway:

She works we'll because she's just so low maintainance, and pays off decently. Sacrifice + Wrath (hell, Thani's optional) make her pretty menacing. Since she'll never really engage in melee, she does her job really well (as opposed to Leonardo & Ilya, who require a Seal to even use Wrath. Being able to heal is also no small boon, as Part 3 HM really appreciates it (or demands it, pretty much). She's also given auto C-Rank upon promotion, which either basically entitles her to Physic (and slot-free, for whatever's worth). Since you'll be stuck with her for the whole game, she has no reason not to be useful. Even in drafts, where I heavily neglected her, she still did a really good job as a healer with sub 20 Mag or something.

For the record, there's actually a strategy where Micaiah doesn't even need to engage a single enemy in 1-9.

I have no interest in scoring units for a tier list, but Micaiah's Sacrifice can also be used to heal status conditions like poison and sleep, and both of those exist in chapters where she is forced. Her incredibly poor durability and late promotion is offset by incredible healing utility later on. I honest don't believe someone who gets Physic immediately upon promotion is worth a 4, at the very least. Honestly if it weren't for 1-9 being an awful chapter that abuses all of Micaiah's weaknesses, she'd be quite favourable of a lord compared to the likes of Lyn or Roy in the context of usefulness in their own games.

I have trouble rating out of 10 without a frame of reference... but 4 sounds really low for Micaiah. She's an above average unit overall, since Thani one-shots loads of trouble enemies in part 1 (including four bosses, as mentioned). There are multiple Seraph Robes in part 1 and it's foolish not to give her one, so she shouldn't be one-rounded by much (if she gets speed-screwed you can give her Resolve too, though Sothe/Zihark/Volug can all get some use out of that one as well). She's very accurate and 2HKOs pretty much everything at worst which helps raise other units. From Part 3 on she is a staff user with very high magic. She contributes pretty well at pretty much all points in the game though never threatens to dominate.

Compared to her direct compeition in the Dawn Brigade... I'd rate her above all the other tier 1 units except the axe-users (I can see a case for Aran over her? The rest, not so much). But yeah lots of good tier 2 units as competition, so this isn't as good as I'm making it sound. She does need some investment and isn't amazing by any means.

6.5/10

I don't know man, even with Thani, Sothe can handle most of the units that Micaiah can shred through. And in the moments where you'd desperately need her Thani power, they are open fields like chapter 6 where you'd have a hard time placing her and units like Tauroneo, Aran, Nolan, Sothe, Jill and Volug shine in part 1. Granted, you can give her Wrath, and then use Sacrifice to guarantee that she's always in Wrath range on the account that Micaiah is so slow that a lot of things ORKO her if they don't flat out OHKO her. By Part 3, she's a staff user that is competing with Laura as a staff user. Laura has even more ridiculous Mag growth than Micaiah in that regard, and both will pretty much have the same mag growth there. Laura isn't exactly what I'd call a good unit either, and is middling at best, so giving Micaiah a higher score seems kinda backwards. Even if Micaiah has 30 for her magic cap in Tier 2, Laura being used can actually promote to Tier 3 sooner. Neither are realistically hitting their caps, and even if they were, Micaiah has a whopping 2 magic over Laura. Laura is a unit that if I were giving a score from 1-10 with 10 being the best unit in the game, and 1 being the worst, I would still rank her below 5. Micaiah would rank about 3-4.

Even worse is that staff healing is at its worst in the series here on the account of Herbs having 10 uses and Vulneraries healing a whopping 30 hp and having 8 uses. It's useful in the final chapters, but every other unit by then is more durable than her that can heal. If Micaiah weren't forced in part 4, I'd probably rarely, if ever, use her.

The pros of Micaiah are : Chip damage, which would be nice, if pretty much every unit in this game didn't have 1-2 range. Like seriously, Sword users have it, axes, javelins... Heck, even range units have it... Everyone does but Laguz, and the amount of chip that Micaiah does is only slightly better than units that don't explode into pieces if they get targeted.

The rest of the DB besides axe users? Let's see: Edward grows into a great unit provided you bother with him. He's pretty much 2-3 killed until you start leveling him up. With Wind Edges he can stay out of harm's way, and still manage to fight on the front lines. You give him a Brave Sword and he can safely attack several enemies that he wouldn't be able to kill if he works with a chip damage unit. Ilyana is just plain better than Micaiah. She's faster, has better defense and hp, and by the time Micaiah catches up in power, Ilyana leaves. Aran starts off wonky but eventually can tank, which is more than Micaiah can do because she can stop other units from dying. The only people I'd say she's actually better than are Fiona, who is without a doubt, the worst character in the game, Meg, a unit that's very shaky to use, and Leonardo, a unit that does the same thing as Micaiah but does less damage. Granted he's less likely to be one rounded, but his speed is pretty wretched.

Even worse is that staff healing is at its worst in the series here on the account of Herbs having 10 uses and Vulneraries healing a whopping 30 hp and having 8 uses. It's useful in the final chapters, but every other unit by then is more durable than her that can heal. If Micaiah weren't forced in part 4, I'd probably rarely, if ever, use her.

The pros of Micaiah are : Chip damage, which would be nice, if pretty much every unit in this game didn't have 1-2 range. Like seriously, Sword users have it, axes, javelins... Heck, even range units have it... Everyone does but Laguz, and the amount of chip that Micaiah does is only slightly better than units that don't explode into pieces if they get targeted.

The rest of the DB besides axe users? Let's see: Edward grows into a great unit provided you bother with him. He's pretty much 2-3 killed until you start leveling him up. With Wind Edges he can stay out of harm's way, and still manage to fight on the front lines. You give him a Brave Sword and he can safely attack several enemies that he wouldn't be able to kill if he works with a chip damage unit. Ilyana is just plain better than Micaiah. She's faster, has better defense and hp, and by the time Micaiah catches up in power, Ilyana leaves. Aran starts off wonky but eventually can tank, which is more than Micaiah can do because she can stop other units from dying. The only people I'd say she's actually better than are Fiona, who is without a doubt, the worst character in the game, Meg, a unit that's very shaky to use, and Leonardo, a unit that does the same thing as Micaiah but does less damage. Granted he's less likely to be one rounded, but his speed is pretty wretched.

Ilyana has a good speed base but she will share the same fate as Micaiah of getting oneshotted. (already in 1-4 by the tigers). Furthermore thunder magic is bad. Weakest anima spell and very inaccurate. You'll rarely see 90% hit on her. You need to forge her a tome to make really useful in part 1. (normally bench her after 1-6-2 even in hard mode)

Aran has massive speed problems in hard mode. He needs to level it fast not to get doubled. If he gets doubled... well then his high defense won't save him anymore.

Edward is the most underrated unit of FE10 besides Jill imo, but I'll mention it when I'm going to talk about him.

Leonardo is a worse chipper than Micaiah in part 1, but Lughnasadh can make him really good in part 3. But it depends a little bit on luck (mainly speed).

Also vulneraries heal 20 HP and concoctions 40.

1-9 is extremely fun to play because of her weaknesses for me. only i wish mr. burger king could tone down his power and feed her kills.

You could disarm the BK and Micaiah with resolve (if she's fast enough) can ORKO everyone except for the myrms.

I'm a whore for these.

With all the good points you gave Miciah (which pretty much sums up my review on her), you gave her an unfairly low score.

After reading all the comments, it might be true.

I'll think about my rating once more...

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Ilyana has a good speed base but she will share the same fate as Micaiah of getting oneshotted. (already in 1-4 by the tigers). Furthermore thunder magic is bad. Weakest anima spell and very inaccurate. You'll rarely see 90% hit on her. You need to forge her a tome to make really useful in part 1. (normally bench her after 1-6-2 even in hard mode)

Aran has massive speed problems in hard mode. He needs to level it fast not to get doubled. If he gets doubled... well then his high defense won't save him anymore.

Edward is the most underrated unit of FE10 besides Jill imo, but I'll mention it when I'm going to talk about him.

Leonardo is a worse chipper than Micaiah in part 1, but Lughnasadh can make him really good in part 3. But it depends a little bit on luck (mainly speed).

Also vulneraries heal 20 HP and concoctions 40.

Ilyana has good base speed, and skill. 12 base is still pretty good for someone that has 80 hit with a thunder tome. She's more accurate than Nolan for instance. Granted, she doesn't have the durability of Nolan, or the damage, but we aren't talking about him. 70-80% is actually pretty common for DB units that have anything outside of swords or are tier 2. I normally bench Ilyana because nothing good comes from her. EXP is lost in Part 1 and goes right into Part 3's pocket which doesn't help you at all. And best of all, Ilyana doesn't have Biorhythms to screw her up as much as other units around. But as a unit, she's just mediocre at best.

Aran's speed problems are also offset by the fact that he has defense. Even doubled, he still takes less damage than some units. To put this into perspective, Aran has the more base defense that Edward has on average at level 20. Aran is one of those units that if you ignore, he sucks, but if you decide to use him, he does what he does decent enough. People just hate seeing doubling, but honestly, it really doesn't matter when it comes to damage thresholds whether you're hit twice or once. And in the moments where Aran doesn't get doubled, he takes considerably less damage. HM Tigers are about the only thing that Aran suffers against, and that's primarily because HM Tigers are dodge or die levels of strong.

Yeah, my finger slipped on the vulneraries.

yeah illyana gets screwed over by availability. i've been tempted to give her favoritism in a pt, and then see how she does in endgame (specifically the dragon chapter) with a blessed rexabolt. her best utility as is is giving the greil mercs gems and celerity.

aran is good in normal mode where you get enough bexp to where at tier 2 level 8, he'll usually cap his str/skl/def and can be bexp'd into a tank god sentinel and breaks part 3. hm i find only nolan and jill to be usable outside the prepromotes.

By Part 3, she's a staff user that is competing with Laura as a staff user. Laura has even more ridiculous Mag growth than Micaiah in that regard, and both will pretty much have the same mag growth there.

Micaiah has more Mag growth than Laura, but honestly that's not relevant. The difference is that Micaiah can gain Exp much, much faster than Laura. Every shot of Heal yields 11. Micaiah roughly matches that with Sacrifice/chipping, but blows past it with kills. She also gets three extra maps on Laura, and can use Paragon at a point of the game where almost nobody else can benefit from it (though she'll have to choose between it and Resolve). Micaiah utterly crushes Laura.

I'd strongly disagree with Edward and Ilyana being better as well. Edward is somewhat more durable than Micaiah, sure; he can often take one additional hit. In exchange for that he has worse offence unless he doubles (and many of the enemies he doubles are Thani-weak, or are tigers which he does NOT want to face), needs to face melee counters lest his damage/hit look pathetic compared to Micaiah's, and has no utility. As far as I'm concerned he exists as a trap to make people think he'll turn out better than Zihark, which thanks to his inferior affinity he does not. No thanks. Ilyana's speed edge vanishes rapidly and she has no answer to Thani or Micaiah's far better accuracy.

Micaiah is far from the best character in her game and far from the best Lord in the series. However, she's kind of interesting to use due to her niche utility that no one else can fill, like her being a Knight/Mount killer in Part 1 and her healing in Part 3. Her fragility and late promotions really hurt her, but she's still useful in some ways.

7/10, bias included.

I agree with this pretty nicely, score included.

Biggest problem with Micaiah is that she's not very newcomer-friendly. Inexperienced players can have a difficult time keeping her alive and she actually needs to stay alive. She has her uses, but she requires a player to understand how to use her more than most.

yeah illyana gets screwed over by availability. i've been tempted to give her favoritism in a pt, and then see how she does in endgame (specifically the dragon chapter) with a blessed rexabolt. her best utility as is is giving the greil mercs gems and celerity.

For whatever reason when the devs decided that Thunder tomes were too good in PoR, they decided to nerf both the tomes and Ilyana's class into the ground. Bad hit rate, bad might, and Ilyana is stuck at 30 speed max with a 30% growth rate. You'd probably be better off handing a blessed Bolting to someone rather than Rexbolt since there's no way Ilyana can even approach Deghinsea without getting murdered. 45 HP and 24 defense won't even survive one counter and Mantle negates crit...

She's OK in easy mode, but drops off pretty hard in normal mode. Her existence is strictly short term dominance in the DBs, only to become a caravan mule for the GMs.

Micaiah is like Ilyana's inverse. Terribly hard to use early on, only to grow in relevance thanks to getting a good staff rank at the end of part 3 that puts her healing on par/better than Laura, but still keeping strong chip damage. I wish her promotion timing didn't suck but Micaiah can always do something, which is a lot more than can be said than some people in the cast.

Went with 6/10, too. If I had to look at pt.1 seperately, I'd probably give her a 4 or 4.5, but if you level her up, she'll become a pretty great healer after her promotion.

While I won't stop you from doing a poll, be warned that you'll need to delete the poll and remake it every time you want to reset the scores!

Anyway, Micaiah has the wrong combination of slow and frail. She's got great utility, but she can't be in too much danger, or she'll end up mincemeat. Still, staffless healing is nice, as is Thani.

6/10

For whatever reason when the devs decided that Thunder tomes were too good in PoR, they decided to nerf both the tomes and Ilyana's class into the ground. Bad hit rate, bad might, and Ilyana is stuck at 30 speed max with a 30% growth rate. You'd probably be better off handing a blessed Bolting to someone rather than Rexbolt since there's no way Ilyana can even approach Deghinsea without getting murdered. 45 HP and 24 defense won't even survive one counter and Mantle negates crit...

She's OK in easy mode, but drops off pretty hard in normal mode. Her existence is strictly short term dominance in the DBs, only to become a caravan mule for the GMs.

Micaiah is like Ilyana's inverse. Terribly hard to use early on, only to grow in relevance thanks to getting a good staff rank at the end of part 3 that puts her healing on par/better than Laura, but still keeping strong chip damage. I wish her promotion timing didn't suck but Micaiah can always do something, which is a lot more than can be said than some people in the cast.

Ilyana is good in HM, if she has transfer boosts in speed at least. With 15 base speed she can double steel axes and lances in 1-3 and some of the tigers in 1-4. It makes it easier to give her experience. But it won't change much that she'll be underleveled when she joins GM's.

She also survives Deghinsea with 1 HP, if her HP and defense are maxed and is placed on a cover tile. However E-3 is the only chapter she's really useful.... and Cain and Giffca still can oneround Degh with a Heron's help.

Micaiah has more Mag growth than Laura, but honestly that's not relevant. The difference is that Micaiah can gain Exp much, much faster than Laura. Every shot of Heal yields 11. Micaiah roughly matches that with Sacrifice/chipping, but blows past it with kills. She also gets three extra maps on Laura, and can use Paragon at a point of the game where almost nobody else can benefit from it (though she'll have to choose between it and Resolve). Micaiah utterly crushes Laura.

I'd strongly disagree with Edward and Ilyana being better as well. Edward is somewhat more durable than Micaiah, sure; he can often take one additional hit. In exchange for that he has worse offence unless he doubles (and many of the enemies he doubles are Thani-weak, or are tigers which he does NOT want to face), needs to face melee counters lest his damage/hit look pathetic compared to Micaiah's, and has no utility. As far as I'm concerned he exists as a trap to make people think he'll turn out better than Zihark, which thanks to his inferior affinity he does not. No thanks. Ilyana's speed edge vanishes rapidly and she has no answer to Thani or Micaiah's far better accuracy.

Edward can oneround enemies (aside of mages) even in hard mode with Leonardo support and decent strength. With this support he can take even take two hits by steel lance soldiers.

Zihark can barely take more than two physical hits in 1-E. Edward with support can become as tanky as him.

While I won't stop you from doing a poll, be warned that you'll need to delete the poll and remake it every time you want to reset the scores!

Oh... shoot.. I forgot that each poll has to be voted. My original plan was to add a poll to each new charcter with my intentention that "new" people still can vote for already discussed characters afterwards.

I have to rethink this right now.

A propos transfer boosts: How do you want to handle them? They'll be sizable enough to bump a few units up a point or two. Seperate votes where it might matter? (I mean, who cares if Tauroneo somehow got +2 on all stats?) Assume 'reasonable' boosts (maybe +2 Strength/Magic and Speed for units that can reasonably collect them)? Ignore them?

A propos transfer boosts: How do you want to handle them? They'll be sizable enough to bump a few units up a point or two. Seperate votes where it might matter? (I mean, who cares if Tauroneo somehow got +2 on all stats?) Assume 'reasonable' boosts (maybe +2 Strength/Magic and Speed for units that can reasonably collect them)? Ignore them?

That's a good question.

Also I was thinking to determine an average stat regarding all three difficulties and with / without transfer boosts.

However I'm absolutely open if someone has a better idea. Since there are few characters left before Ilyana, there's still a bit time to think about a concept.

Also I have to rethink about the poll voting since I have to update it everyday.

(pointless for all the people who want to vote afterwards)

The way the caps work is that both Laura and Micaiah are pretty much identical. Micaiah has a slight offensive edge because of Thani. I wouldn't say that Micaiah blows past it, but I DO agree that Micaiah can potentially level faster than Laura depending on how you go through the game. The issue I have is that under normal circumstances without abuse on my part, I can't get Micaiah passed level 10-12 naturally and the game auto-promotes her at the end of P1. "Crushing" her is going pretty far on the account that both are really lousy units.

Edward does not die in 1 hit, and with supports can potentially live through 3-4. Getting him to level 18 also gives you a chance to get some stat boosts through BEXP because he normally caps hp, speed, and skill. Even better, is that in the early game, you can give him that Dracoshield, and with his support bonuses, he's solid enough. Support him with Nolan, Volug, Jill, Aran, anyone that gives him some defensive bonuses, and he's easily a solid unit. He'll never be your best, but he's not in state of ever being OHKOed and can contribute fairly well. Edward is much better than Micaiah in Part 1 IMO. By Part 3, that's entirely dependent on if you prefer healing or the ability to not die as easily. I give defense more merit than offense, because I still don't think Micaiah's offense is that good without taking Wrath off Edward and then spamming it with Thani. Slightly less ranged offensive power in order to not require being protected at every given turn and better offensive power from 1 range? Sounds good to me. As for Zihark, his existence as no relevance towards Edward outside of potentially being able to use the Brave Sword instead of Edward. That's it. You pick one, and move on with them. Edward doesn't sound like a trap at all. He's perfectly fine, and I actually prefer him to Zihark, because if you manage to get Edward to promote by the time you get to Part 3, Edward is kinda better than Zihark. They have borderline identical stats and Edward has much more desirable growths. Earth affinity would mean something if it wasn't all over the place in the DB.

As for Ilyana, she really is better than Micaiah for the first couple of chapters she's there. Sacrifice can heal poison, but so can items, and you get some to heal that. I honestly don't remember sleep being around in Part 1 where it was used on anyone. The times that Micaiah is good are... Virtually never. She helps you get Discipline, and that's about the only thing I can think of that she really does that's "useful." The rest of the time, she's not doing much better than anyone else in the DB, but demands that you protect her at every given moment. She's not Roy levels of useless after people start promoting, but she's not very good either. In comparison to other units like Ike, Elincia, Tibarn, Gatrie and the likes, I'd definitely say that Micaiah is on the lower echelon of units in RD. After she promotes, she's pretty much just a heal bot. There's no way I'd say a heal bot that dies in 1 hit is deserving of something like a 6. Especially when we have other ones like Elincia that can fly, use physic like Micaiah, and have imbue on so they can heal back to full health if they use that and have their staff out making for a bit of a pseudo-tank. And Elincia isn't a unit I'd rank 10/10. It especially bothers me, because if you take someone like Tormod and make him --/10/1, Micaiah is like... Worse in every way sans magic and that glorious C rank staff. If she didn't get that C rank in staves, I'd actually say she was pretty bad. As it stands I'd leave Micaiah in the "not good" spot.

I actually think her late promotion works out. She needs all those chapters in part 3 and 4 pre-endgame to level up. and in general tier 3 lvl 1 is adequate for endgame I think

also I find nolan is a way better support than sothe. earth affinity makes her more durable and nolan having innate nihil and a really speed class makes him a good endgame deployment

Edited by Radiant head

From my experience Micaiah has been alright. Early game is her worst for sure due to her squishyness and lack of damage output, which improves when she gets the Thani tome, without that though she would struggle more with Part 1. I feel her speed is her biggest weakness, which also contributes to her fragileness, not helped by the fact she's a main character so easy to get game over is your not careful with her. She does get better later on with her damage though and her sacrifice skill can be handy if healers are busy/dead.

I'd say she's around a 6/10