FE10 Tierlist 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo's only real good point is that he has a monopoly on a set of amazing bows. So even if you barely train him, at least he has some chip going for him. His growths are in all the wrong places but at least he isn't a frontline unit. Technically he can pull off Beastbane+crossbows but he's not really defensive enough to make that strategy work, and having a limited EP otherwise makes him a poor candidate for this EXP dump. The DBs get a few defend chapters for Leo to contribute a little bit but he's easily the worst of the three archers even with one of the best bows in the game to his name.

Nolan, on the other hand, has pretty much everything going for him except a bad starting weapon. His unusual growths for a fighter work in his favour, as he can tank things out and deal some hefty damage back with the best weapon type in the game. At level 9 he doesn't take the same large hit to part 1 exp like the prepromotes do, so he's closer to promotion than most of the tier 1 DBs with decent availability. With Beastfoe and a crossbow, he's one of the few units who can take a few hits from a tiger and one-shot them in return. He's one of the few first tier units who can handily promote into third tier by part 4 without much babying at all. Definitely an MVP unit alongside Jill for the entirety of the DB chapters, while Sothe and Volug struggle begin to struggle after part 1 ends.

Edited by Samias

Warrior Nolan can oneshot all the Laguz with the crossbows. Giving him vantage is very recommended.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - it's not like Vantage is reliable in this game.

EDIT:

Leo's only real good point is that he has a monopoly on a set of amazing bows. So even if you barely train him, at least he has some chip going for him. His growths are in all the wrong places but at least he isn't a frontline unit. Technically he can pull off Beastbane+crossbows but he's not really defensive enough to make that strategy work, and having a limited EP otherwise makes him a poor candidate for this EXP dump. The DBs get a few defend chapters for Leo to contribute a little bit but he's easily the worst of the three archers even with one of the best bows in the game to his name.

I'd say a delete button that doesn't need to have his neck on the chopping block is still useful (Nolan's better off holding the frontlines).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Leonardo: Not a very good archer but he gets a 5 for his personal bow of and that's it... it is his only upside but it's a pretty decent upside. 5/10

Nolan: 4th Best member of the Dawn Brigand (behind Jill, Sothe, and Volug, I supposed 2nd if are only talking about the original members). Because he can tank and actually take a hit or two which is nice and has a legendary weapon allowing him to do some pretty good damage. 8/10

Edited by Locke087

Leonardo: 6/10. While he might not be that great in the long run, at least he has his shining moments (mostly in part 3, where Beastfoe's amazing on him), and unlike Edward, he (1) doesn't have to stick his neck out to contribute, and (2) isn't screwed over by a superior alternative coming later.

You could also give beastfoe to Edward if you took off his wrath from him and let him attack with range weapons. It's good for everyone who attacks from range or is able to oneshot the Laguz. (Nolan with Tarvos, Jill with Brave Axe). As for Jill simply because she can fly back to a save spot thanks to canto.

In 3-13 it's better not to give Beastfoe to Nolan (unless you place him on the center ledge and have allies aroud him) because multiple Laguz can attack him in enemy phase and they have a higher hitchance because they benefit from Ike's three authority stars.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - it's not like Vantage is reliable in this game.

It's based on speed and Nolan's speed is pretty good. With the crossbow it'd be a free kill.

Of course Zihark's activation rate would be higher but he doesn't really need Vantage at any price if he has the evasion.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

You could also give beastfoe to Edward if you took his wrath of him and let him attacks with range weapons. It's good for everyone who attacks from range or is able to oneshot the Laguz. (Nolan with Tarvos, Jill with Brave Axe). As for Jill simply because she fly back to save spot thanks to canto.

In 3-13 it's better not to give Beastfoe to Nolan (unless you place him on the center ledge and have allies aroud him) because multiple Laguz can attack him in enemy phase and they have a higher hitchance because they benefit from Ike's three authority stars.

It's based on speed and Nolan's speed is pretty good. With the crossbow it'd be a free kill. Like

Of course Zihark's activation rate would be higher but he doesn't really need Vantage at any price if he has the evasion.

Wind edges and Storm swords are rather inaccurate (and wind edges are also weak). Jill might be good for it, except with the brave axe, she needs to connect both hits to do it, and if she whiffs, she risks getting bodied.

A 1-in-3 chance of one-shotting an enemy before they attack just ain't high enough to be relied on by my standards (and that's assuming Nolan's biorhythm's at its highest point, otherwise your odds are even worse).

Support Edward with Laura to increase his hit by 15% a / o forge a steel axe for Jill to fix these issues. However a forged steel axe might not be enough for her to oneshot a tiger.

That's assuming that they become good enough to earn an extended stay on the team, which Edward never does because Zihark exists and can do much the same thing (well, that, and I STILL haven't forgiven Edward for being an overhyped fraud). Also, I'm generally very reluctant to forge, because I just might wind up not using the forged weapon (about the only time I actually forge is if I'm set on using Fiona). And it's still an inferior solution to Beastfoe Leo.

Support Edward with Laura to increase his hit by 15% a / o forge a steel axe for Jill to fix these issues. However a forged steel axe might not be enough for her to oneshot a tiger.

Nolan easily and accurately oneshots a tiger with beastfoe crossbow usage. He doesn't need a forge. I'd rather stick paragon on Jill and let her go to town with a brave axe and feed some exp into her to snowball into a monster, since once she promotes she has little to fear from anything.

That's assuming that they become good enough to earn an extended stay on the team, which Edward never does because Zihark exists and can do much the same thing (well, that, and I STILL haven't forgiven Edward for being an overhyped fraud). Also, I'm generally very reluctant to forge, because I just might wind up not using the forged weapon (about the only time I actually forge is if I'm set on using Fiona). And it's still an inferior solution to Beastfoe Leo.

You really never gave him a chance, did you?

I played HM often enough that I can say that Edward isn't as bad as you and other people tried to point out.

He can oneround enemies and earn free kills with the brave sword and strength support unlike Nolan or Aran. He has good offensive and is still fast enough to double most of the opponents in part 1.

His only weakness is his early games but if you feed him with some levels, you'll be rewarded for that.

Edward will be comparable to Zihark statwise when he reaches his level.

Sure, Zihark is the better front unit in part 3 because of his affinity... but Edward has still his uses.

Nolan easily and accurately oneshots a tiger with beastfoe crossbow usage. He doesn't need a forge. I'd rather stick paragon on Jill and let her go to town with a brave axe and feed some exp into her to snowball into a monster, since once she promotes she has little to fear from anything.

As for forging an axe I meant Jill and not Nolan. He only needs a forged iron axe in part 1.

Also beastfoe in combination with crossbow for Nolan and paragon for Jill is also my favored skill choiche. Jill needs the experience at first to become a monster.

Leonardo - Haven't taken him too far in RD but for when I've used him he's not been spectacular. Rolf and especially Shinon come in and pretty much overshadow him. At least archers aren't too bad in this game since they have the melee ranged crossbows to make them more versatile. Will give him a proper shot in my HM run but I fear him to be the weaker of the brigade.

4/10 for now.

Nolan - I always thought his look could be suitable for the lord of the rings universe. I really want to try this guy for the whole game next time as he's pretty solid. Funny that his strength growth is like Rinkah's in how surprisingly low it is. The speed growth is handy though and without him, Part 1 would be a nightmare. Solid unit overall

7/10

Edited by Naturesshadow

Leonardo: His crowning moment for me came when I intended to use him to take down a pegasus knight and not only did he only have something like a 60% chance to hit it but he also would have only done five or six damage to it. I eventually trained him up to be a bit better for the levels I used him (and thanks to that sweet bow of his he ended up being a bit better) but I'll still never forgive him for that fail.

3/10

Nolan: I see a lot of people seem to like him, he seems kinda alright to me? I probably should have given him more BEXP but as it is he kinda fell by the wayside soon enough. I can see his use but he wasn't really for me.

4/10

I played HM often enough that I can say that Edward isn't as bad as you and other people tried to point out.

He can oneround enemies and earn free kills with the brave sword and strength support unlike Nolan or Aran. He has good offensive and is still fast enough to double most of the opponents in part 1.

His only weakness is his early games but if you feed him with some levels, you'll be rewarded for that.

Sure, Zihark is the better front unit in part 3 because of his affinity... but Edward has still his uses.

But that's why Edward isn't that great. Sure, you can invest in him and he is obviously not even remotely as hard to train as Fiona or Meg, but even if you make sure that he gets the XP he needs - Zihark will still have a significant headstart and about the same longterm potential.

Looking at your scale, my 5/10 might have been a bit too low, though. I tried to use the whole width of the scale, so 5/10 actually meant "mediocre" and not "barely usable", but I'll try to keep my initial scale anyway to keep my scores consistent. Speaking of...

Leonardo: 2.5/10

Yeah, he's pretty bad. The Prf bow in part 3 is nice, I guess, but in my experience Nolan does better than Leo with Beastfoe/Crossbow combo. And since his growths are distributed rather poorly, I don't see very much in him.

Nolan: 8/10

I always found him really valuable as a reasonably buff unit with decent stats pretty much everywhere. I pretty much agree with Samias here.

Having Zihark doesn't automatically disqualify Edward.

The DB needs all fire power it can have, and Edward definitely fulfills this requirement.

He has a very hard start till 1-3, but at the latest in the chapter against the Laguz you can easily give him some levels to make him good. In 1-5 he can easily oneround all the mages from the ledge to get the exp. instead of Sothe.

HM Edward is way better than HM Aran since he can double unlike getting doubled in the case of Aran, and Edward has the strength to kill an opponent without taking counterdamage with the brave sword. (for example the boss in 1-8)

Leo: Not much to say about him. Terrible stats and level and not much room to grow, because unlike most others in the DB he has no enemy phase (so considerably less EXP) and no support utility. Gets a few points for Prf weapon, but there's no real need to ever train him as a serious unit. Also WTF at Cancel on an Archer. 3/10 (And I can't even imagine how bad he is in the JP version when he starts at a lower level and no Prf Bow)

Nolan: Now he's pretty bro. Can stand for himself right away and can also become a pretty good unit with decent training. Prf weapon is great and innate Nihil makes him a good pick for Endgame. 7/10

Edited by Jave

I did, when the game was newer. The problem is, I can only tolerate it so much when someone fails me repeatedly every time I try to give them a chance.

Having Zihark doesn't automatically disqualify Edward.

The DB needs all fire power it can have, and Edward definitely fulfills this requirement.

He has a very hard start till 1-3, but at the latest in the chapter against the Laguz you can easily give him some levels to make him good. In 1-5 he can easily oneround all the mages from the ledge to get the exp. instead of Sothe.

HM Edward is way better than HM Aran since he can double unlike getting doubled in the case of Aran, and Edward has the strength to kill an opponent without taking counterdamage with the brave sword. (for example the boss in 1-8)

That boss is a poor example, and I'd rather try someone else, since Edward would need something like 17 Strength to do it (which ain't gonna happen until promotion on average), and if you whiff, you just might have to kiss your run goodbye.

That boss is a poor example, and I'd rather try someone else, since Edward would need something like 17 Strength to do it, and if you whiff, you just might have to kiss your run goodbye.

I'll also reiterate that it doesn't matter if you're not being doubled when the other person takes half of the damage you take. A level 20 Aran has twice as much defense as a level 20 Edward. Getting doubled as Aran means taking the same damage as Edward. Or in some difficulties, nothing.

I'll also reiterate that it doesn't matter if you're not being doubled when the other person takes half of the damage you take. A level 20 Aran has twice as much defense as a level 20 Edward. Getting doubled as Aran means taking the same damage as Edward. Or in some difficulties, nothing.

That doesn't change anything since the enemies have 27-30 attack power in hard mode. Aran will have about 30 HP at level 20.

=> Two enemies can kill him. Same as for Edward.

That boss is a poor example, and I'd rather try someone else, since Edward would need something like 17 Strength to do it (which ain't gonna happen until promotion on average), and if you whiff, you just might have to kiss your run goodbye.

That's why I recommended to establish a support with Leonardo who gives strength.

Also it's a pretty awkward excuse to discredit an unit just because it turned out badly in the very first playthrough.

Everyone deserves a second chance!

That's why I recommended to establish a support with Leonardo who gives strength.

Also it's a pretty awkward excuse to discredit an unit just because it turned out badly in the very first playthrough.

Everyone deserves a second chance!

Turning out bad in one playthrough is one thing. Being a habitual disappointment is something else entirely. And it DOES NOT HELP that Edward is a fragile melee unit, AKA, the exact type of unit that the Dawn Brigade does NOT need.

That doesn't change anything since the enemies have 27-30 attack power in hard mode. Aran will have about 30 HP at level 20.

=> Two enemies can kill him. Same as for Edward.

Actually it does change things. It means that Aran being doubled doesn't matter as a negative in comparison to Edward. In general? Yeah, but not in comparison to Edward. They both die the same way and Aran has higher strength than Edward. Which means that Edward has to use weapons with higher might to keep up in damage with Aran. I still think Edward is better overall, but it's not much of a detriment here comparatively.

Nolan: I see a lot of people seem to like him, he seems kinda alright to me? I probably should have given him more BEXP but as it is he kinda fell by the wayside soon enough. I can see his use but he wasn't really for me.

I personally don't see why a lot of people like him. They say they like his different growths for a Fighter, but people bash units like Meg for the same reason, her growths being much different from the usual of her class. Don't get me wrong, Meg is pretty bad. I'm saying Nolan is not that great either for similar reasons. I also feel he has the same problems Mia always did, that is to say, weak strength and defense despite the good speed. His steel axe hampers his speed as well anyway. The only reason he's not terribad to me is that he actually starts off at a decent level for a DB member.

I personally don't see why a lot of people like him. They say they like his different growths for a Fighter, but people bash units like Meg for the same reason, her growths being much different from the usual of her class. Don't get me wrong, Meg is pretty bad. I'm saying Nolan is not that great either for similar reasons. I also feel he has the same problems Mia always did, that is to say, weak strength and defense despite the good speed. His steel axe hampers his speed as well anyway. The only reason he's not terribad to me is that he actually starts off at a decent level for a DB member.

Given that most Fighters are basically summed up as "good HP and Strength, but lacking in everything else"... yeah.

People don't bash Meg because of her different growths, but because she's all around bad. She's on a completely different league than Nolan.

I'm saving those comments for when it's turn to rate Meg, though.

nolan's growths are fine. if he gets str-screwed, the game makes it easy to offset that problem especially when you use axes, same can't be said for bad spd. not to mention his str growth is more than sufficient to let him do what he does best. not every character needs to be haar.

Edited by Radiant head

I can actually explain this one.

Meg actually has good base stats. It'd honestly be completely true to say that she has great base stats for her level. 10 defense at level 3 is nuts. 10 strength at level 3 is godlike. The problem is that her two worst stats, skill and speed, are two of the most damning "bad" stats to have. Her hit is shaky, and it's not unreasonable to see enemies actually get double attacks off of her. And unlike other units that get doubled, Meg has a nasty tendency to miss, which results in nothing really happening on the EP for her. She has heaven affinity, which is nice, but realistically no one actually wants Heaven affinity so she's going to be kinda SoL for getting supports early on, especially when people like Aran have just gotten the ability to start theirs perhaps, and people like Edward, Micaiah, Leonardo, and Nolan can have a solid C and possibly a B depending on how the chapters went for them. Her only real viable options are Zihark, Jill, and Volug. None of them actually need hit boosts except Jill, but Jill would rather have someone with closer movement to her like Zihark or Volug. Even if you manage to use Meg, her stupid caps damn her, unlike Nolan, which has growths and bases that seem to optimize when he should start capping out. Meg on the other hand, gets screwed over by her class. Any hope of her being good is destroyed by her Tier 2 speed cap. 22 speed is absolutely horrid, and her defense does NOT make up for this nonsense. If Meg had these base stats and was say... Any other class than the class she was, I'd wager she'd actually be pretty solid. Heck, if she was a pegasus knight, she would be incredible.

For Nolan, he has a steel axe which sucks, but you can quickly give him a Hand Axe to stop the AS loss. You're right that Nolan has seemingly scrubby strength for his level. The problem is that somehow everyone else's base:strength growth ratios are similar or worse than his. Meg for instance should have the same or slightly more strength than Nolan by the time she reaches Nolan's base level, the issue is that it's literally 6 levels away from Nolan's base level and she joined 3 chapters later. Also, there's nothing Meg can do to fix her stupid caps.