FE10 Tierlist 2017

Yeah, I know why Meg is bad. That's why I brought up the reason people say she's bad, because it relates to her growths and her class. Nolan's growths make him rather bad to me too, and so does his class. Fighters are actually rarely ever good to me at all. Boyd is the only one in the series that I've used extensively since he actually IS good.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fighters are actually rarely ever good to me at all. Boyd is the only one in the series that I've used extensively since he actually IS good.

I don't like most Fighters either, but Nolan was one of the few who managed to earn my respect because he actually had good speed, in addition to carrying the team, which I can't say of Boyd as far as this game's concerned - he has pretty much the worst biorhythm wave, is too slow to double anything for a good while, and his speed growth isn't good enough to make up for all this.

I don't like most Fighters either, but Nolan was one of the few who managed to earn my respect because he actually had good speed, in addition to carrying the team, which I can't say of Boyd as far as this game's concerned - he has pretty much the worst biorhythm wave, is too slow to double anything for a good while, and his speed growth isn't good enough to make up for all this.

Weird, Boyd was always amazing for me. He and Ike were always my dynamic duo in both games, so to speak, because they got so powerful.

Weird, Boyd was always amazing for me. He and Ike were always my dynamic duo in both games, so to speak, because they got so powerful.

You might have a transferred Boyd for RD. Boyd with transfers is pretty good. And Boyd has great strength, and speed in RD (and in PoR tbh), just kinda mediocre bases (in RD, in PoR they are good). Boyd in PoR is amazing IMO, and he's okay in RD as well.

If you had transfers for Boyd, then that's fine, otherwise I wouldn't expect much out of him. There's also the matter where most of the Greil Mercenaries are good units, and thus Boyd has a hard time standing out when he has actual competition (that outstrips him, at that).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Griel Mercs in general are fabulous units. Dawn Brigade in general, are not fabulous units. Nolan is also the only Axe user in DB for a while (until Jill). Boyd and Titania start at the same time and use axes. Nolan looks better in comparison, but both he and Boyd are pretty good.

Er, I never did transfers. I never could because easy mode files don't work due to the stupid transfer bug. I tried completing PoR on normal, but I wound up with an underleveled Ike by the time I got to the BK and that made things too frustrating for me. I think I failed to notice that normal mode gives less exp until it was too late.

Boyd was great in any playthrough I did of RD. There's no reason to tell me "not to expect much out of him" when I've already used him for myself...

Edited by Anacybele

Boyd was great in any playthrough I did of RD. There's no reason to tell me "not to expect much out of him" when I've already used him for myself...

His base speed is pretty bad, and he requires lucky speed growths to stay relevant. He might be good with investment, but to me, I can get what he has to offer and more out of Titania, Gatrie or Haar. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Leonardo: He needs a LOT more durability if he wants to get away with that godawful Speed of his. Once he maxes a couple of stats, BEXP helps him a lot. However, BEXP is also helpful on a lot of other units, and if it's a choice of making Leonardo suck a little less or giving someone else better stats, I'm gonna choose the latter. Even his personal bow doesn't help. I gave Micaiah grief for her speed, and I fully intend on doing the same for him. Outside of that, his Strength can be fixed with Crossbows (sort of). 3/10

Nolan: Better bases than Edward/Leonardo, great affinity, helpful boomstick, and unfortunately shares a weapon type with Jill. He's solid until then, and can help out on the later DB chapters. Biggest downfall is being a foot axe user where flying axes dominate. 7.5/10

Wait, so I missed Edward? )))):

Leonardo

His career is basically summed up into, "can do stuff in 2 out of 3 Part 3 chapters". His mediocre bases, even worst growths combined with 2fuckingrange-lock is almost intended as a joke. At best, he's pretty much a secondary chipper, next to Micaiah & Ilyana (however, I'm not discarding a forge + a support...which is what puts him there in the first place, LOL). He can't double, he struggles to 2HKO and starts getting 1HKO'd as early as 1-3. But, like I said, he at least fills in for a role at 3-6 & 3-12 (and relatively cheap at that; a Seal + Beastfoe). I don't think he has much of any chance of hitting level 20+ without a ton of investment, turtling and favoritism, only to be " okay-ish" by Tier 3.

I initially gave him a 4, but I've opened my own eyes:

Nolan

A cut above the rest, the next-coming of God- until So the and everyone else arrive.

But, seriously, he definitely has something going. Basically, Part 1 pre-promotes are summed up by being mediocre for 90% of Part 1, and then having crazy amount of potential later on. Nolan's a place where he sort of does need those first good levels (but his growths are really solid, not a huge problem), but he pays off with it insanely well, being one of your most important Part 3 frontliners (hello 39-41 Atk Tigers), and he just dessimates his part of Part 4 and Endgame. He takes work in Part 1, but he's very much worth it.

Leonardo:

Leonardo is one of those units who never really works even if you give him capital investment because his potential is usually less than other units. Leonardo like all archers lacks an 1-2 return in EP and comes in looking quite frail and never really recovers from it. Leonardo lacks speed and none of his other stats are defying laws either. Leonardo can turn out okay if you give him resources but in a party that doesn't have resources to spare he's not entitled to take them over units like Jill and Nolan so it's not even worth considering. Leonardo just get a weapon that addresses his obvious speed issues but it's not until the lions share of DB chapters have been completed and he's hardly going to be a candidate for a part IV team when there are other units that can do his crappy job better, like Shinon.

3/10

Nolan:

Nolan has a strange setup for a fighter but oddly it works. Nolan has certain issues such as strength and speed growths but with a bit of love and care he can usually turn out pretty great. Some people like to compare Nolan to Boyd but I tend not to as both characters perform roles well for both parties without either leeching EXP from the other; part IV endgame is only a small portion to what both characters contribute throughout the entire game. Nolan also has an earth affinity with two candidates to pair up with, Zihark or Volug which can allow him up to +45 avoid which gives him and another character a fantastic amount of durability; both Volug and Zihark are front line characters which means these charactesr can actually make use of their supports. Nolan is also a character who on numerous occasions has been my MVP for the Dawn Brigade and never tends to slow down once he gets his momentum going, he's a character that has great availability and can actually stand toe-to-toe with some of the Greil Mercenaries without fear of getting 1RKO.

Nolan is a unit that performs his role well and will sometimes have a slow start but the Dawn Brigade will make use of him either way.

8.5/10

Sothe
Growthrates (%)
HP: 30
Strength: 60
Magic: 45
Skill: 80
Speed: 45
Luck: 65
Defense: 20
Resistance: 30
Skill: guard
Affinity: wind

Sothe works pretty much as a "Jeigan" except he's not mounted and has actually really good bases for his level. He serves as wall and can prepare kills for the other DB members unless he can oneround anways.
His growthrates aren’t bad in total either. However his best growths are the stats with the lowest caps. And another major issue is his very low HP and defense growth. In part 1 he’ll take two hits till the endgame and own the enemies… but in part 3 he’ll be easily taken down by one Tiger and any other Laguz. Beastkiller can oneround everything but you have to make sure to change to a weaker weapon before enemy phase (what normally shouldn’t be a problem). In part 3 he’ll fall behind statwise.
Part 4 is very problematic for him. In 4-P you fight tons of cavaliers who can easily kill him in one single enemy phase. In most cases - unless you used pargaon on him - he won’t be high enough leveled till his auto-promotion. 4-4 has very unfriendly terrain. It’s the chapter where the fliers and maybe magic users will suck up all the experience so he’ll be totally underleveled in the endgame.
Personally in hard mode I never had a Sothe who’s usable in endgame. Only used him for shoving and nothing else. Replaced him and Kurthnaga by Gareth and Nasir in E-4.
All in all Sothe is fantastic in part 1, great player phase unit in 3-6 and 3-13 but outclassed at the end.
8 / 10

Laura
Growthrates (%)
HP: 45
Strength: 20
Magic: 70
Skill: 70
Speed: 70
Luck: 50
Defense: 20
Resistance: 35
Skills: -
Affinity: wind

Laura is the biggest victim of the DB for these reasons:

• she starts at level 1 with appropirate stats
  • She’s a healer which means she’ll level extremly slowly.

It’s an absolute shame because of her growthrates. If she got more experience as healer, she wouldn’t be the walking target till the end of the game. This is what she is unfortunately. And this applies to all difficulties. Even in easy mode she can be oneshotted and doubled in the early chapters at least.
In part 1 you don’t need to bring her when you can’t. Even in 1-E her low movement will bring you only more trouble than use.
But you have to keep her alive because you’ll need her healing abilities in part 3 so badly because the Laguz will hit you like trucks and only Micaiah for healing isn’t really enough.
6 / 10

On 14.12.2016 at 9:15 PM, Soul~! said:

Wait, so I missed Edward? )))):

You still can rate in your comment. I'll add all the belated ratings in my table. It's absolute no problem.

Erm, yeah... you accidentally listed Jill's name in your post.

fixed

On 14.12.2016 at 8:04 PM, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I know why Meg is bad. That's why I brought up the reason people say she's bad, because it relates to her growths and her class. Nolan's growths make him rather bad to me too, and so does his class. Fighters are actually rarely ever good to me at all. Boyd is the only one in the series that I've used extensively since he actually IS good.

There are two differences between Meg and Nolan:

1. Nolan joins earlier with rather high level and appropirate stats.
  2. Meg joins later with low(er) level and appropirate stats.

While Nolan can maybe take two hits by the tigers, base Meg will be onerounded by a tiger with 12 speed.

It's way easier to train Nolan than to train Meg. More plusses for Nolan are his affinity and his growths.

In FE10 speed > strength, especailly for part 1. As for the GM's it doesn't matter since you have tons of great units who can wreck and tank.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Anyways...

Sothe gets an 8/10. Stealing is good to supply units with vulneraries (and sell the surplus for cash), and the occasional weapon as well. Aside from that, he can set up kills for other units in part 1, which he dominates in. His usefulness wanes as the game goes on, however.

Laura gets a 7/10. A staffbot's a staffbot, even in a game where healing items are more potent than ever, and her healing is useful in part 3 (Micaiah alone ain't enough to keep your units alive, after all, and the NPC healers are braindead).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, December 15, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 15, 2016 - No reason given

Sothe - loathe the character, but hard to deny his usefulness. although 1-e is where he loses his luster, part 3 he's only good for chipping, and part 4 he's a complete waste of space. but he's good where he's most needed. it's a nice variant take on the whole jeigan archetype. 7/10, down a point because of bias.

Laura - well she's desperately needed in part 1. part 3, Micaiah starts filling her role a bit better, but there is room for two healers. very squishy, and not very useful for combat purposes and or growing into a part 4 unit, but that's fine. 7/10

Edited by Radiant head

Sothe is a part 1 god, capable of picking up all sorts of loot while also being untouchable in combat. However his low caps keep him from being useful long term, and he's forced. The longer the game goes on, the greater a liability he is to field. His promotion is also absurdly late. However he is strong in the most tedious part of the game so I don't fault him too much. He is really important throughout the early DB chapters.

Laura: Typical healer. Once you get a physic in her hand she is really good, but in part 1 she is troublesome to deploy when herbs and vulneraries are strong healing items with many uses. With favouritism she can take a chunk out of Ike with Purge, though, which is a fun and safe way to end that chapter. However she is ultimately eclipsed by Micaiah who gets a high staff rank for free, while Laura only promotes into E tomes. However I would rather have the heal battery around compared to some of the other DBs who join after.

Edited by Samias

Sothe - He's got a neutral weapon type (moot on Hard, useful on lower difficulties), and is generally stronger than the enemies in most of part 1. He also jacks things, which helps. However, he's forced (which hurts in later chapters), and whoever thought Bane was a good idea was out of their mind. A beast-slaying knife is helpful in part 3, as long as he doesn't have to facetank everything. Insta-A support with Micaiah can also be a plus, if you're in a hurry. 7.5/10

Laura - She dies to a stiff breeze, and is the reason why we have to play some chapters. She can patch Micaiah up after Sacrifice, and anyone else up period. Light magic on promotion is standard, but she starts off with a really bad weapon rank. At least she doesn't have Rhys' speed problems. 6/10

Sothe: A really strange type of Jeigan. Pretty much a necessity in early game HM, and while he does slowly fall back as the game progresses, his usefulness is something that cannot be denied. He's forced in Part 4, and while he definitely doesn't contribute much as other characters by then, at least there's a story reason for it. 9/10 with a bit of bias.

Laura: Dedicated staffbot and should be seen as such. An absolute shame staffs give so little exp in this game, because if this were FE5's EXP system she'd be High Tier for sure. Still, a great utility character even after Micaiah promotes. 7/10 with plenty of bias.

Damn, missed some of these.

Edward: 3.5/10. He's the exact type of unit the DB doesn't need: a fragile melee unit. Pretty good offence but not really great or anything, 7 base str + swords isn't hot.

Leonardo: 3/10. Yeah Lughnasadh is decent in part 3 I guess, but otherwise he's weak/slow/frail.

Nolan: 8.5/10. Nolan can actually take some damn hits which is invaluable in the DB path. He's also got good str, adequate speed, and the invaluable earth affinity, which can enable Zihark/Volug to actually dodge things. Long-term he's great unlike most DB units; his speed/evade/power combo makes him a great pick even for endgame.

Sothe: 8/10. Unike Nolan he eventually falls off hard, but he's god through most of Part 1 and Part 3. Prepromo in the game's third map is automatically a high score; 1-2 range, Beast Killers help.

Laura: 5/10. She's okay, but far from invaluable. Vulneraries are really good in this game, so she's really just a ghetto dancer. There are worse things but sometimes it's nice not to have to protect that durability which makes Micaiah's look good (and unlike Micaiah, she's not forced so I feel no incentive to give her a Seraph Robe). Also as I mentioned in an earlier post, she's awful at gaining exp so I don't think much of her longterm potential.

Sothe

He's great in Part 1! With so many bad units, or units that are an absolute pain in the butt to raise, Sothe can be a real life-saver. However, after that...he kinda sucks. His forced promotion sucks, him being forced onto your Endgame team sucks, and he really can't do much in said Endgame. Overall, I'd say a 6.5/10.

Laura

I was very hopeful for Laura, but ultimately...disappointed. She can be useful for healing through Part 1, maybe Part 3 if you give her enough protection, but actually getting her competent enough to withstand a hit or two is painful. 5.5/10.

Sothe - Awesome in part 1, good in part 3, terrible in part 4. I wish he wasn't obligatory for the tower climb, but his prior performance warrants a 7.5/10.

Laura - Vulneraries actually being useful is a good point which makes me think that I probably overestimate her usefulness in part 1. Still, it's nice if your frontline units don't have to spend their action healing, making Laura decent at worst at the beginning of the game. As soon as Micaiah promotes, she's little more than a backup, though, since she most likely has a sizable XP disadvantage and (until she promotes herself) no good way to earn XP fast. 5.5/10

Sothe: I gave him a flat 5. He was a nice Jeigan but I felt he fell behind fairly quickly after Part 1 (and even there he struggled a bit); the fact that his only weapons were daggers and that he had to be taken in the final levels really hurt my opinion of him

Laura: 4. I wanted to like her because I like healers but she starts at level one and in a game where there are three tiers and healers gain the same amount of XP as usual? Ehhhhh. Seems like a nice character, I just didn't like her much for practicality outside of Part 1.

Nolan

Nolan is the babysitter of the Dawn Brigade and the one you need to rely for a while in order to keep everyone alive. Unfortunately even he starts a little shaky, being forced to use a Steel Axe that is to heavy for him. But he is still the best when he joins and also has the most potential then the others. His class line is pretty good in this game, he has a great growth spread and gets his own personal weapon, which is both impressively powerful and also increases his already good defense.

8/10

Laura

A staffbot in a game where staffbots just aren't that useful. She has great growths but they are rendered worthless by both her crappy class and her lack of time to get sufficient EXP. She is far from useless though. Considering that the Dawn Brigade struggles to deploy competent fighters, her ability to ensure that the best fighters don't have to waste turns healing makes her well worth a deployment slot. Especially in Part 3 where a lack of enemies with ranged weapons makes using her particularly easy.

5.5/10

Sothe

Sothe finally gets to reap the benefits of 19 levels with Blossom and joins with great bases even for a Jagen. And with most of his teammates being basically made of paper mache, he is a true lifesaver.

Unfortunately he is bound to fall back over the course of the game because of his awful class. While it helps him a lot early one, giving him great mobility and reliable ranged attacks, it will hold him back in the long run. Like for example, he starts with 18 and caps at 22 strength and his HP starts at 35 and caps at 40, so despite the decent growths and the many levels he has left, he can never get much stronger then he starts out. Still, he is amazing in Part 1 and his reliable butt is very useful in Part 3 where a lot of characters risk getting crushed by powerful Tigers or speedy Cats. Come Part 4 though and even Yune unlocking his potential can't save him from becoming the Krillin of the group.

Still, he never quite drops into Yamcha tier. And besides, at the end of the game you have an absurd amount of powerful units that you can't even deploy them all. But at the beginning when the game gives you very little to work with, no one else can shoulder the burden that Sothe carries to help you survive the hardest part of the game.

9/10

Edited by BrightBow

Sothe - How good Sothe is, is entirely dependent on when you transferred him. Normal Sothe is pretty solid for Part 1, and then it's all downhill for him after that point. Transfer Sothe? Can potentially be a god of part 1, and then pretty solid in part 3... However, he's still quite poor in part 4. Honestly, part 1 is the hardest portion of the game, but I can't help but feel people overstate how difficult it is as after part 1, prepromotes start rolling in, and they never stop, and I'd argue that pretty much all of them are better than Sothe. I'm of the opinion that people put way too much emphasis on Part 1, because he's as close to deadweight as you can get by part 4 without actually being a literally weight.

6.5 / 10. Most of the GMs are better than him. He's an early game prepromote that isn't worth raising. He's great for pointing at an enemy and insuring it dies early on, and then becomes pretty worthless later on. Really, if you let him kill too much, Part 3 DB chapters are an absolute pain. Doable, but still annoying.

Laura - Heal bot in a game where healing items are common, powerful, and characters can carry a ton of items. She can heal so she'll always have *some* use by saving people actions on needing to heal. That's about it. Forget about her ever trying to be an attacker with those terrible might tomes she has. 3? Come on. Her growths are also wasted being inside of the class she has. I will say that she also suffers from "Micaiah syndrome." One attack, one kill. I have brought her to endgame once, and it was dreadful. I still say she's slightly better than units like Edward because things do not need to go right for Laura to be useful. Just keep her out of range of attacking, which seems to be a general theme for every healer in RD that's not named Elincia and at moments Mist.

5.5/10