FE10 Tierlist 2017

Sothe: He's great to start out with, and is even a lifesaver in the chapter vs laguz bandits since he gets a weapon that's good against laguz at that point, but falls behind hard later, mainly due to his late-ish promotion. Also, daggers aren't that great of a weapon in general either. 7/10

Laura: She's a healer in a party that desperately needs one not named Micaiah. This is pretty much her best point. Her class hurts her though, since priests are hard to level up at first due to having no attack options. If you can dump a lot of bonus exp on her in part 1, she can become kind of useful, but not much. 6/10

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura:

A staffbot which ensures she'll always have utility but Laura has her own issues within the game. Firstly Micaiah is a forced unit within the game who gains staves on promotion and has the unique "Sacrifice" ability which allows her to heal own allies HP/Status at the cost of her own HP and this grants 10xp a cast. Laura not only has to compete with Micaiah but keep up with her as well, at 11x a standard heal and not much more from other staves she's going to struggle to promote by the end of part I; especially as she arrives at level 1. Throughout part I Laura will most likely get 1HKO'd and isn't going to bring much as Vulernaries heal 20hp in this game and Concotion's heal 40hp! - this is on a team where pretty much everyone needs shielding and experience.

Throughout part III even if you boost Laura with BEXP she's still going to be too frail to do anything because most of the dawn brigade's chapters are now going to be filled with either Laguz or the Greil Mercenaries; at the same time Laura is going to be even less useful as Micaiah will gain access to Physic staves which will solve any need for healing utility.

Part IV is even less useful for Laura and she'll stand out less; she's never going to keep up with the arch sages you probably have by now like Soren (Who can also heal) and you'll also have units like Mist, Elincia and Rhys who can heal just as well if not better than Laura.

She has her uses and utility, use her in the part I chapters where she's required and bench her after that.

3.5/10 - I just can't justify giving a unit that's so frail, contributes no DPS value, arrives under leveled and who's role can already be performed by a forced Micaiah; a higher rank than... Micaiah!

Sothe:

Sothe is a really nice Jeigan character but with a ton of utility. Sothe can steal and pick locks and chests with ease and also comes with a higher movement range than the rest of the Dawn Brigade which is useful especially when chests in these chapters contain things like "Thani" and "Energy drop". Sothe also brings Bronze Daggers which give him a 0% chance of landing a critical hit and reduced damage levels; allowing boosting EXP relatively easy and this is definitely appreciated by the rest of the Dawn Brigade.

Sothe also has quite a varied use of weapons, high damage weapons with a decent critical hit rate like Kard's and 1-2 weapons like knives which can be thrown; beast killers are also readily available for chapters with Laguz which makes Sothe seemingly unstoppable. He even comes with an A support with Micaiah and can be utilised with POR transfers for even greater stats. Daggers aren't the best weapons but Sothe comes at a time where his stats can compensate for this and he can breeze through earlier chapters.

He does have his flaws, forced deployment in endgame of part IV and a forced promotion late into the game really destroy the potential for this character; alongside level caps and weapons but he performs his Jeigan role well. I also like the character so I'm going to add in .5 bias

8.5/10

You still can rate in your comment. I'll add all the belated ratings in my table. It's absolute no problem.

(:

Edward

Either people play HM a lot more nowadays, or they don't know how to use him well. Yeah, a Myrmidon that doesn't dodge AND double is a sad story- but that's not without a fix. What Dawn Brigadier doesn't have a shaky start? Like his companions, he won't be doing anything valuable anytime soon. Wrath can work really well, if you know how to use it (and not assume there's a constant onslaught of enemies waiting to rush in). He's pretty key in the first chapters, and he also has a ton of training ground in 1-5). Taking up Nolan as a support is pretty much granted (and no one wants him better or supports as quick). If you can get him to 20/1 by 3-6, he can actually be a monster with Wrath/Resolve + A Nolan + Caladbolg. There's also a handful of chokepoints he can stand on bushes, for extra Avo. With this in mind, it's not hard for him to be a machine by 3-12, and even take down Ike.

I'm not handwaving the amount of effort he takes to raise, but he really pays off.

Laura

Pretty standard healer, but you feel kind of greatful to have her around in HM. Truth be told, I think her selling point is, once again, her potential as something more. She has mean-ass offensive growths. And once those are capped, you can BEXP stubborn ones like HP & Def up. If I could do this in a HM LTC, I'm sure anyone else can in a more casual pace. In 3-6, you can raise her with one of Paragon (Torch/Physic/Taking kills) or Resolve.

If you're using her seriously, she could really use the BEXP. Otherwise, she's a standard healer.

Sothe

He's super underrated beyond his Part 1. He's easily your best unit in Part (forges carry him through; Adept helps). Carries at least 3/4s of it. While it is true he falls a significant margin past that, he is by no means mediocre, and let alone useless. He 1RKO's Laguz with Beastkiller, even if he can't take two Tigers at a time (then again, 90% of your team can't). He works well with Vantage+Resolve, with in mind. His shitty Str cap holds him back in 3-12, but he can still do a decent job at sniping the ledges with Adept (everything helps, and he does it for little to no costs). There's nothing to argue for Part 4, but there's not much to say when he's been helping you in the hardest parts of the game. His growths seem iffy, but they're hardly ever a problem if you use him pretty moderately.

Laura:

A staffbot which ensures she'll always have utility but Laura has her own issues within the game. Firstly Micaiah is a forced unit within the game who gains staves on promotion and has the unique "Sacrifice" ability which allows her to heal own allies HP/Status at the cost of her own HP and this grants 10xp a cast. Laura not only has to compete with Micaiah but keep up with her as well, at 11x a standard heal and not much more from other staves she's going to struggle to promote by the end of part I; especially as she arrives at level 1. Throughout part I Laura will most likely get 1HKO'd and isn't going to bring much as Vulernaries heal 20hp in this game and Concotion's heal 40hp! - this is on a team where pretty much everyone needs shielding and experience.

Throughout part III even if you boost Laura with BEXP she's still going to be too frail to do anything because most of the dawn brigade's chapters are now going to be filled with either Laguz or the Greil Mercenaries; at the same time Laura is going to be even less useful as Micaiah will gain access to Physic staves which will solve any need for healing utility.

Part IV is even less useful for Laura and she'll stand out less; she's never going to keep up with the arch sages you probably have by now like Soren (Who can also heal) and you'll also have units like Mist, Elincia and Rhys who can heal just as well if not better than Laura.

She has her uses and utility, use her in the part I chapters where she's required and bench her after that.

3.5/10 - I just can't justify giving a unit that's so frail, contributes no DPS value, arrives under leveled and who's role can already be performed by a forced Micaiah; a higher rank than... Micaiah!

Can Micaiah split into two and heal two units at once? Cause that'd be a neat trick. ...What was that? She can't? Then I fail to see how Micaiah obsoletes Laura when she alone ain't enough to keep your army healthy. What's more, by the time Micaiah promotes, Laura's gonna have the staff rank for Physic if you made even the slightest attempt to use her (Physic is C and Laura starts at D). And as for your part 4 argument, (1) two of those healers you mentioned (Mist and Elincia) are route locked, and (2) with the mages not exactly being amazing in this game, it's not a guarantee that you're going to have an arch sage (mentioning Soren was also a mistake, because he's route locked as well).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sothe - Historically one of the most underrated units in FE history...and still the case according to some scores I'm seeing here! Only Volug comes close to helping in part 1 as much as he does. He falls off a bit in part 3 but is still helpful and then in part 4...well, he's already done his job.

9.5/10

Laura - Hm. Laura is odd. She's your only reliable healer for quite a while, but because of her low base level and slow rate of leveling she's hard to get anywhere else...and even if she does, she's really never a good combat unit due to bad caps. And then Micaiah cuts into her value in part 3. But that part 1 healing is pretty helpful.

7/10

Can Micaiah split into two and heal two units at once? Cause that'd be a neat trick. ...What was that? She can't? Then I fail to see how Micaiah obsoletes Laura when she alone ain't enough to keep your army healthy. What's more, by the time Micaiah promotes, Laura's gonna have the staff rank for Physic if you made even the slightest attempt to use her (Physic is C and Laura starts at D). And as for your part 4 argument, (1) two of those healers you mentioned (Mist and Elincia) are route locked, and (2) with the mages not exactly being amazing in this game, it's not a guarantee that you're going to have an arch sage (mentioning Soren was also a mistake, because he's route locked as well).

It's an opinion and we're all entitled to them. You quoted another user and complained about their choices too and suggested Gatrie is a better unit than Boyd; personally I disagree but I don't feel the need to call you out on it and tell you that you're wrong for a myriad of different subjective reasons.

I mentioned that Micaiah can heal, healing items are very useful in this game compared to other versions and that Laura can sometimes prove to be a liability. The point can be made to keep her out of range but at times that can be tricky, such as chapter 1-8 where there are wyvern riders and terrain effects; on harder difficulties I tend to bench her as soon as I can. Micaiah also obsoletes Laura in the sense she is a better overall character from my perspective, if in my mind Micaiah is a 5.5/10 I wouldn't feel comfortable rating Laura a 6 or, whatever value you think I should have rated her at.

You also mentioned if I bothered to train Laura she would have rank c in staves by the time Micaiah promotes; Micaiah gains C Staves upon promotion so that's not an issue.

You mentioned that two healer units are route locked in Part IV; actually it's three and they're all route locked to different routes and Soren being route locked isn't a big deal because I can put Rhys on one of the other two teams if I feel they need it and Rhys will also have the staff rank for Physic and is much easier to train than Laura.

Mentioning Soren wasn't a mistake, it frees Rhys up to do other things if needed and Soren can help a lot with his high magic to cure units like Ike if they get put to sleep in Oliver's mansion.

There's plenty of versatility without Laura and I don't want to spark a debate on this thread just giving you my reasoning for what you've stated, Laura is by no means an essential character and that's just what I rated her as; though she is by no means without her merits.

Edited by ClLoulD

It's an opinion and we're all entitled to them. You quoted another user and complained about their choices too and suggested Gatrie is a better unit than Boyd; personally I disagree but I don't feel the need to call you out on it and tell you that you're wrong for a myriad of different subjective reasons.

I mentioned that Micaiah can heal, healing items are very useful in this game compared to other versions and that Laura can sometimes prove to be a liability. The point can be made to keep her out of range but at times that can be tricky, such as chapter 1-8 where there are wyvern riders and terrain effects; on harder difficulties I tend to bench her as soon as I can. Micaiah also obsoletes Laura in the sense she is a better overall character from my perspective, if in my mind Micaiah is a 5.5/10 I wouldn't feel comfortable rating Laura a 6 or, whatever value you think I should have rated her at.

You also mentioned if I bothered to train Laura she would have rank c in staves by the time Micaiah promotes; Micaiah gains C Staves upon promotion so that's not an issue.

You mentioned that two healer units are route locked in Part IV; actually it's three and they're all route locked to different routes and Soren being route locked isn't a big deal because I can put Rhys on one of the other two teams if I feel they need it and Rhys will also have the staff rank for Physic and is much easier to train than Laura.

Mentioning Soren wasn't a mistake, it frees Rhys up to do other things if needed and Soren can help a lot with his high magic to cure units like Ike if they get put to sleep in Oliver's mansion.

There's plenty of versatility without Laura and I don't want to spark a debate on this thread just giving you my reasoning for what you've stated, Laura is by no means an essential character and that's just what I rated her as; though she is by no means without her merits.

1-8 is a pretty poor example, tbh - there are hardly any wyverns (only the one to start with at the bottom right corner, and the rest are reinforcements). I would've agreed if you had mentioned 1-6 instead.

I know healing items are good in this game, but those are dependent on the unit in question not having used up their turn already. Concoctions are rather pricey, too.

The issue with Soren was that mages in general aren't that good in this game, and thus he isn't guaranteed to be seeing use. Him being locked to Greil is also bad because that means he has to contend with fog of war.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sothe:

A good option to your team,but story based promotion hurts his usefulness a lot,because you're basically forced to bring him to the tower and he'll be lacking behind your team hurting his usefulness a lot. Alongside with the worst strength cap in the entire game!

6/10

Laura:

The best healer if you somehow manage to train her up to level 20, if you boss abuse she's worth of a 8.5. If not 6

8.5/10

1-8 is a pretty poor example, tbh - there are hardly any wyverns (only the one to start with at the bottom right corner, and the rest are reinforcements). I would've agreed if you had mentioned 1-6 instead.

I know healing items are good in this game, but those are dependent on the unit in question not having used up their turn already. Concoctions are rather pricey, too.

The issue with Soren was that mages in general aren't that good in this game, and thus he isn't guaranteed to be seeing use. Him being locked to Greil is also bad because that means he has to contend with fog of war.

I'll save more Soren comments when he comes around, but I so wish he could be used in the desert chapter

Sothe - A solid unit early on but will feel rather underwhelming late game, plus his forced deployment for endgame is annoying, especially with the amount of slots reserved for other characters. But he could be worse.

6/10

Laura - With all the other light magic users you get later on she does get forgotten rather easily, especially with Micaiah in endgame, but her growth rates are quite impressive. If given the time to build up EXP I reckon she'd turn out to be a pretty powerful magic user...just gotta give her plenty of EXP in part 1 to give her the chance to get there. Again, another character I never gave a proper shot so HM tryout for her

6/10 for now

Sothe: is great for part 1 and part 3 and absolutely invaluable to the dawn brigade having high survivability, and pretty good damage, throughout these parts as well as the ability to steal and pick locks, I would rate him higher but he's forced into part 4 where he doesn't belong. Overall third-best member of the Dawn Brigade 8.5/10

Laura: is a okay Heal-Bot, promoter early and you can get some weak light magic in as well but her main job is to heal and that's what she will do and she does it okay. 6/10

Ilyana

Growthrates (%)

HP: 55

strength: 45

magic: 50

skill: 60

speed: 30

luck: 40

defense: 30

resistance: 50

skill: shade

affinity: light

Ilyana is really hard to rank for me because it mainly depends on which difficulty you play and if she has transfer boosts or not.

If you play on easy / normal and she has transfer boosts in magic and speed she can destroy almost everyone in earlygame.

However if you play on hard and she doesn’t have the boosts, she’ll become useful for like three chapters. She can oneround one enemy in 1-3 (steel axe fighter next to the door). After that she’ll become more or less pointless. Since thunder magic is inaccurate and became the weakest anima type, she’s only a marginal better chipper than Leonardo with support. You’ll see the inaccuracy of thunder on her hitrates. You’ll see hitrates >80% rarely.

Since she’ll leave the DB and her growths aren’t good in total, there’s no point in investing in her. The DB members need the experience more than her. The consequence is that she’ll join the GM’s totally underleveled and will be outclassed by Soren.

Ilyana is the only unit who’s able to use Rexbolt, but it doesn’t change anything for me. Rexbolt is good for one single chapter in the entire game: In E-3 against the dragons. Otherwise Rexbolt has the most aesthetic battle animation… but… oh well…

If you play on lower difficulties Ilyana won’t have a problem to catch up the others, but in HM she’s not worth for me. Just a wasted slot in part 1 + 3 for me.

In easy / normal with boosts I’d give her a 7-8… and in hard without boosts I’d give her a 3.

All in all I give her a rather low score because I don’t find it necessary to use her except for the first three maps in the game… and as merchant to give stuff to the GM’s.

4.5 / 10

Aran

HP: 50

strength: 75

magic: 10

skill: 75

speed: 35

luck: 35

defense: 70

resistance: 25

skill: -

affinity: thunder

Aran is basically an armor knight with increased movement which is great at first sight. He’s one of the few DB members who can take more than one hit by enemies with physical weapons.

However if he doesn’t level up speed quickly (which isn’t one of his best growths), then even if his high defense won’t help him any further. He’ll be killed by two enemies as Edward would.

Furthermore he has hit issues. He really cries for a forged lance to do some damage and have a good hitrate.

Also he won’t get a personal weapon, which is a downer for me tbh… and the reason why I normally ignore him in hard mode.

Aran needs to level as quicky as he can to benefit from his high strength and defense growth. Otherwise he’ll be killed by two hits in the upcoming chapters already.

His affinity is pretty good because it gives him evasion and defense. Volug and Jill are really good options for him to increase these stats.

Aran’s usefulness depends on his speed growth: If it grows fast, he can become a really good tank. If not, he’s ready for the bench.

5 / 10

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Ilyana: Wow her speed is bad. Her defense is really bad too, as is the usual for mages. So she'll get doubled and killed very easily. She's honestly worse in RD than she is in PoR for some reason. The player is much better off with Soren later, despite Ilyana having really good availability. 3/10

Aran: My favorite dude in the DB not named Zihark! And he's surprisingly really good! He's basically an armor knight with actual movement and he can take hits unlike most of the rest of the DB. This is such a godsend in this group that it gives this guy more points. His speed isn't great though, and it can be a bit tough to level him up at first. 8/10

Ilyana is really good when she joins. Legitimately one of the better mages in the series. However she is totally let down in the long run by her growths being way too slanted towards strength and skill and Thunder magic being weak and inaccurate. The fact is, Tormod replaces her halfway through the DB chapters by being completely more capable than her in every way, and that she leaves the DBs to join the GMs as a woefully underleveled character with a bad growth spread. After about 3 chapters she is suddenly one of the worst characters in the game despite having a good run on her bases.

Aran's growths are pretty good but his weak HP really kills his tankiness early on since he isn't exactly getting tinked. He's kind of like Edward that he will turn out decently with investment, but he is by no means amazing. I don't really like him that much since he doesn't have the same offensive presense that Edward has when given equal investment, and he doesn't get any special weapon of his own. However I don't think he's awful. He comes with a javelin so he can chip tigers from a safe distance with some measure of accuracy, at least, since his strength and skill is so high.

Illyana - whyyyy. she's useful initially for chipping, especially because she debuts in what is one of the hardest chapters of the game. unfortunately there's only so much exp to go around with the db, and she's very low priority because she leaves for the mercs. so then you have part 3 where she's just wayyy outclassed to justify deploying beyond 1-2. then you have the usual problems that mages have in this game. 4.5/10

Aran - starts off mediocre, has potential to be a really solid tank. he's sort of like what if haar was reclassed into a tier 1 soldier. unfortunately hard mode i never use him just because the relatively sparse exp is better spent on nolan and jill. his defense is good enough to make up for getting doubled which is why i prefer him to edward. if you invest in him, his tanking is very useful in part 3. his affinity is also very good, and makes him compatible with almost everyone on the team. 6.5/10

Edited by Radiant head

Ilyana: 5.5/10. She has more availability than anyone else, and at least has a niche in being able to use Rexbolt, which is good against one of the nastiest bosses in the game, which is more than can be said of most all the other mages. Her speed isn't that hot, however, but then again, that's a problem with most of the mages in this game.

Aran gets an 8/10. He's built like a tank, and a tank is exactly what the Dawn Brigade needs. His speed isn't that hot, however.

Ilyana

She ain't great. Besides Tormod, she may possibly be the worst mage in the game, with her only real use being one specific part of the Endgame...but then raising her enough to actually participate is a huge pain (a running trend with DB members). 4.5/10.

Aran

Meh...he's really just outclassed by Nephenee, and there's other DB members to use over him (Jill, forced Micaiah and Sothe, Nolan). He can be okay, and I suppose he can be useful for Part 1. But really...meh. 5/10.

I seem to be pretty low on Aran compared to everyone else, so I guess I'll chime in.

Aran is pretty bad (on Hard Mode at least) because he has almost no immediate utility. His base stats are just too low across the board- no doubling, mediocre attack, 2HKOd by enemies like everything else. Part 1 is pretty limited for Exp opportunities in efficient play and Aran needs many levels to 'tank' or so anything really. His low Speed growth also makes him a poor investment in the long term.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Ilyana - Poor girl is just hungry for some speed growth. She's alright in part 1, not great. She's not difficult to use long-term, but never really gets much better. 5/10

Aran - Aran looks like he should be a tank that hits hard and takes nothing back, but...his bases don't lend too well to it. He's still taking decent damage for some time, he worries about getting doubled, and he hates magic. By the time his growths kick in the player probably has a solid enough team, but he can still be quite helpful for newer players who would have trouble in part 3, so he gets points for that. 7.5/10

Ilyana: I hate her gameplaywise in this game, probably more than she deserves. But... she leaves the party which gives her all the same problems as, say, the LEA, and at base isn't nearly as good as them (she's 2HKOed by almost everything, "one of the better mages in the series" this is not). I use her in 1-3 and 1-4 but after that I generally try to ease off her as much as possible as she rapidly becomes mediocre anyway. And of course the less that his said about her performance in Part 3, the better. I dunno. I don't think Tormod deserves a very good score and Ilyana is rather clearly worse to me. Maybe if 1-4 were actually challenging I'd respect her more? 2/10

Aran: He's not incredible or anything, but he's solid. Good atk/def. I often find him a bit problematic by 3-12 as he faces doubling and crit from most enemies, and like many DB units he's not great in part 4. But... he plays a solid role in the meantime, being able to take more hits than any other unpromoted unit except perhaps Nolan. 6/10.

Ilyana: (she's 2HKOed by almost everything, "one of the better mages in the series" this is not)

Most starting mages are 2HKOed by physical attacks. The difference is, Ilyana has pretty jacked offensive bases otherwise. You can also rig some easy crits for her to basically delete some tigers off the map that no one else aside from Sothe could feasibly handle. She does what you need her to early on.

If you read the rest of the paragraph I mentioned she's good for 3 chapters only to drop off hard in usefulness anyway, since 1-6 is the first map that is hard to funnel enemies around on. But she is not utter crap when she joins.

Ilyana has an interesting utility in that she can transfer items to the GMs. I use this particularly to send a Speedwing to make sure Ike gets 27 speed to recruit Lehran. But other than that I don't use her other than chip/2 range attacks early on.

Aran I feel is good for when you need him, but tails off as the game goes on. His defence is usually great but he can be seriously compromised by his speed growth. Very useful in part 1 but he tends to have tanking issues in part 3 due to his low speed.

Ilyana - I agree, she's pretty good for a pretty short timeframe. After that, she can contribute the occasional chip for a while, I guess, gut as soon as part 3 rolls in, she's kind of a millstone. 4/10

Aran - Kinda like Edward in that he's decent with investment, but by no means a crucial team member. Unlike Edward, he doesn't even have a single chapter in which he is really an important fighter, but at least he has a decent ranged option (even though I can't remember right now when Javelins can be forged). 5/10

She can oneround one enemy in 1-3 (steel axe fighter next to the door) and double 2-3 tigers in 1-4.

Unless she procs 1 Spd, not even. Can't expect much from a 30% SPD growth, and Aran's on a similar boat.

Ilyana

I feel Ilyana really wants to be good, and I want her to be, but it just isn't the case with a handful amount of investment- and luck. Plenty of it. Like, even her base Spd is surprisingly 1 higher than Edward's base (even if it's a few chapters later, but she's a MAGE).

For starters, the amount of investment she does take sort of leeches up on a team she ends up leaving, and only to end up a weaker version of Soren, at best. Performance, she's pretty much Micaiah that can take a hit but without Wrath shenanigans (I tried an early Seal, but that just hinders her Exp gain a ton).

Transfers, namely Spd, helps a crapton. But that's the case for too many characters, and I'd rather leave it out.

As for actually considering her moving over to GMs as part of her utility, that's almost as dumb as saying Lords are the best characters because you literally can't beat the game without them. lol

Aran

So I never really use this guy "seriously", but it does seem like he has solid Part 3+ frontliner material. His single biggest problem, is Spd. Other enemy Soldiers start doubling (and 1RKO'ing) as early as 1-5, if he didn't proc any Spd...and with a 35% SPD growth, that'll be the case. For such a supposed-tank unit, he sure does have pretty low HP (which starts becoming a trend in this game, or something). If he has something good going, is that he ramcaps Ste/Skill/Def. He'll be tanky as shit, and he has a ton of BEXP potential to raise that Spd & some extra HP. I think he's an okay investment, if you end up playing your cards right. Either Resolve (patching up Spd) and a +Def support really help.