Awakening without reclassing

Vaximillian

After I finish the emulatable FE games, I'm going to eventually get a 3DS and Awakening because Citra runs awfully on my machine.

As the thread title suggests, I'm not going to use reclassing (except Donnel because villager, really). I strongly feel a unit should be used in their default class or promotion thereof because that is the way they actually make the most sense. (I did reclass Barst to pirate in New Mystery though because he used to be one in his backstory IIRC and berserkers are simply much fun.)

I'd like to know how viable it is to never reclass a unit in this game.

You'll eventually run out of levels to gain, however it's no big deal in Normal mode (As someone who did that the first time. Only for me to reclass the avatar right at the end and he could do nothing). Hard mode is another matter, but I'm betting someone can explain how possible it is.

I'd recommend reclassing just to take skills then ending up with one of the classes the original one promotes to. This is how I like it: 3 seals each character (at least one of each) for 1st gen, while children may only promote.

I'd like to leave Donnel as villager with limitbreaker, but have no DLCs :/

You'll eventually run out of levels to gain, however it's no big deal in Normal mode (As someone who did that the first time. Only for me to reclass the avatar right at the end and he could do nothing). Hard mode is another matter, but I'm betting someone can explain how possible it is.

You *CAN* do it on hard mode. Lowmanning, getting kids asap, and Rescue abuse, pretty much helps you in this department.

Kids serves as units that can bypass class barriers through skill inheritance.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You *CAN* do it on hard mode. Lowmanning, getting kids asap, and Rescue abuse, pretty much helps you in this department.

Kids serves as units that can bypass class barriers through skill inheritance.

I assumed with the kids and and lowmanning it was possible, but I didn't try it myself.

It's really apparent how broken the kids can be, even with early recruitment. (So I didn't use them in the first playthrough.)

Oh yeah it's totally easy to do no re-classing, no grind, on hard mode, I would know I've done it, in fact it was my first play though... just note that certain units will be trash forever because of it... avoid the following classes if you're doing no re-class, War Monk, General/Knight, Dark Knight, and Falcon Knight (because you need/want Galeforce so that should never be chosen instead of Dark Flier)). Avoid the following units Kellam, Donnel, Ricken, and Virion (wind magic replaces bows and assassins get Bows, so no need for Virion).

Awakenings easy enough that all these are not absolute no-no's you could really do any of these but I wouldn't recommend it.

Possible in Hard Mode. I beat Hard Mode and I married Anna of all people. So yeah, you can do it.

Oh yeah it's totally easy to do no re-classing, no grind, on hard mode, I would know I've done it, in fact it was my first play though... just note that certain units will be trash forever because of it... avoid the following classes if you're doing no re-class, War Monk, General/Knight, Dark Knight, and Falcon Knight (because you need/want Galeforce so that should never be chosen instead of Dark Flier)). Avoid the following units Kellam, Donnel, Ricken, and Virion (wind magic replaces bows and assassins get Bows, so no need for Virion).

I disagree with avoiding Falcon Knight. It's a flier that has staves. That's pretty useful. I'd argue it's more useful than Galeforce on some chapters. War Monk is fine for Libra. I'd actually recommend using him for awhile too. He's an easy person to nab an S rank with a female unit and abuse a child actually.

Kellam is fine, and actually pairing Kellam up with Cordelia can enable you to get a Luna Severa without reclass.

Possible in Hard Mode. I beat Hard Mode and I married Anna of all people. So yeah, you can do it.

I disagree with avoiding Falcon Knight. It's a flier that has staves. That's pretty useful. I'd argue it's more useful than Galeforce on some chapters. War Monk is fine for Libra. I'd actually recommend using him for awhile too. He's an easy person to nab an S rank with a female unit and abuse a child actually.

Kellam is fine, and actually pairing Kellam up with Cordelia can enable you to get a Luna Severa without reclass.

Yeah there's no problem with Libra, but you should never promote into War Monk...

As far as falcon knights are concerned, you don't need yet another staff user so many Awakening classes have staves already, you just won't need anymore then that, and they get crap for magic so they heal like nothing (they should have swords in my opinion). It's definitely not worth losing Galeforce over IMO.

Killam low movement and inability to ohko are deal breakers in this game, which has tanks that can do both things do to the broken nature of pair up. Basically what I'm saying is every character (that's not Donnel or Ricken) does Killams job better than Killam and Killam is pointless, there's no reason the deal with low movement early on for this character he's just not worth it. For genetic purposes you can use Frederick or Stahl (though I prefer a paladin for him).

Knights and Generals in general are horrible in this game due to it's aggressive nature IMO, I don't have time for a general lugging behind me while I'm Galeforcing my way through half the map.

Edited by Locke087

As far as falcon knights are concerned, you don't need yet another staff user so many Awakening classes have staves already, you just won't need anymore then that, and they get crap for magic so they heal like nothing (they should have swords in my opinion). It's definitely not worth losing Galeforce over IMO.

I disagree - an 8 move staffer that doesn't need to worry about terrain is pretty sweet, if you ask me.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Yeah there's no problem with Libra, but you should never promote into War Monk...

Killam low movement and inability to ohko are deal breakers in this game, which has tanks that can do both things do to the broken nature of pair up. Basically what I'm saying is every character (that's not Donnel or Ricken) does Killams job better than Killam and Killam is pointless, there's no reason the deal with low movement early on for this character he's just not worth it. For genetic purposes you can use Frederick or Stahl (though I prefer a paladin for him).

Knights and Generals in general are horrible in this game due to it's aggressive nature IMO, I don't have time for a general lugging behind me while I'm Galeforcing my way through half the map.

The only person that can is Lissa, and unless she got like super strength blessed I'd never consider it. I agree on that.

What Levant said. 8 move staffer without working about terrain is excellent. Chapter 16, any chapter with mountains, and the final chapter especially. You're thinking too small with staves. You don't use them for healing necessarily, you use them for Rescuing. Let's use Sumia for a second. A standard Sumia will have 7-8 mag before promotion. On promotion, she'll gain +1 magic leaving her at 8-9. With that, she can rescue someone and move them 5 spaces. With 2 units paired up, that's two units that just moved a couple of spaces without taking their turn. That's more useful than Galeforce at moments. I'd actually feed Sumia a spirit dust to give her 6 spaces. Magic is pretty lame for Dark Fliers for both Pegasus Knights that you get, so I'm not really seeing the point here. I'd honestly say Rescue staff and the ability to heal > Galeforce. I'd also say Rally Speed > Rally Movement. I'm not even joking here. Galeforce IMO only becomes super good when both pair ups have it so you can attack, Galeforce, attack, galeforce, and then retreat or attack again. When you're having only a few units with it? It's pretty "meh." Plus Galeforce is learned at level 15. Good luck getting that for enough of the game to make Dark Flier worth taking over Falcon Knight.

Kellam makes an excellent pair up bot. 2 strength and 4 defense with no supports is amazing. No other unit gives that as a pair up. And Pair Up is the way to go in this game. Kellam's low movement is offset by pairing him with someone with high movement. You give him someone like Sully, Cordelia and Sully can move further out ahead because she has more defense and can take on more units, and then if you need to, switch to Kellam in a sea of enemies. It works fine. There's quite a few people that don't OHKO in this game. If you mean 2HKO by doubling? There's more that do that, but certain not to the level of saying Kellam isn't useful as a pair up bot.

Knights and generals are good in this game because they give 2 strength / 4 defense or 3 strength / 5 defense without taking any other stats into consideration. If you're planning on leading with them, you can STILL pair up with classes like thief or trickster to give + 1 move. Incidentally, they'd also get extra speed too.

Edited by Augestein

I wasn't thinking about rescue staff abuse, because I actually banned that from my runs (meaning that I was only able to use what I found and I couldn't buy anymore) once I found that rescue was readily available and cheap. So yeah I guess that would be a solid way to use the Falcon Knight, as far as your comment of not having enough people for Galeforce I beat chapter the final chapter in 2 to 3 turn in a no re-class, no-grind run and with only one person that I did in spot pass (it was Jaffar I couldn't help myself) all thanks to Galeforce, and you need 3 people to do Galeforce passing (Olivia makes up for number four), one kid and the two peggy's (or in my case one spot pass and two Peggy's). But now that I think about it yeah If don't ban additional rescue staffs like I did that is definitely thats the better way to do it. They still can't heal for crap though so healing is a small bonus.

I meant to OHKO in the sense of one round, yes they double but they killed in a single round of combat, I should've just said that sorry for the confusion. Being a good pair bot but does not mean being a good unit at least to me... yeah he has uses especialty in lunatic, but I made the mistake of concentrating on him and making him a main unit which is not good as he's a pair-up bot to the end. I think that he eventually grows out his use because his bonuses are only really good for early game, after certain point you're just killing everything and you don't really need defense the only stat that really matters is speed and attack, so I tend to ditch him at that point. But I just usually don't count that for much I guess that is more use then Donnel, Ricken or Virion will ever have so that is something. I stand by my statement about the Knight/General class it's perfectly functional just not very helpful like Knights in most Fire Emblems. I find good knights to be the exception rather than the rule so unless they are very good like Effie (Conquest only), Oswin, or Gatrie I think they're not worth using.

Edited by Locke087

Even without the rescue staff, Falcos are feasible.

If we're going to bring in self imposed restrictions, canon class paths make it so that Dark Flier, meaning Galeforce, isn't accessible, ever. And that went just fine.

Yeah, I sorta prefer their original classes too, so what I have a tendency to do is reclass them, get the sill that I wanted them to get and then reclass them back.

I don't know if that's how you're suppose to do it, but that's what I did.

Yeah, I sorta prefer their original classes too, so what I have a tendency to do is reclass them, get the sill that I wanted them to get and then reclass them back.

I don't know if that's how you're suppose to do it, but that's what I did.

There is no "how you're supposed to do it". Just play the game how you'd want to. I play Hard by default and through the main game, I never re classed at all, until AFTER they reached lvl 20, which most of the time, is around post game.

The only time I ever went DF minus for grinding was purely out of contrast between Sumia and Cordy's promotion. As broken as Galeforce is, it means jackshit if the unit can't get the kill, and given how DF isn't as good as Falco, it hurt Cordy's overall performace and allowed Sumia to get ahead.

Basically, for me, the way I play is by picking my favorites and making them work somehow. I don't use Cavs (Sully NEVER worked for me, and I ran out of space to include Stahl, despite consistently having good STR), Knights (forgot [RIP]/didn't care for Kellam, and hated the design so bias), Archers, Mages (Miriel was too fragile for me to keep around and just wasn't cutting it. RIcken's... well, Ricken), Taguel (Panne is very situational, so I just never bothered enough). My only consistent healer was Lissa (Maribelle was too fragile and couldn't keep up. Libra eventually fell off, as did Anna). My only magic users were Robin and Tharja (Henry was behind before I could actually consider him). The only special units I'd use were Tiki and Marth (*Shadow Dragon bias intensifies*).

Lastly, I don't bother with the 2nd generation cause i don't care enough to put in the effort for them; less so even cause of pairings. Lucina being the exception. If I do choose to put in the work, however, I only ever use Inigo, Severa, Morgan and SOMETIMES Owain and Kjelle

'Course, I speak only of my earliest playthrough. In my 2nd, I made sure to [try to] use everyone in the 1st gen. It was honestly my most favorite playthough as a result

Granted, I only ever had like.... 6(?) complete playthroughs; 2 of which have a lot of hours on them cause of post game

I would offer that Henry!Owain as a SM is godly with a Levin Sword/Braves. He will have a good Mag base if you use his parents, respectable growths across the board, and foremostly he is the only Vantage/Vengeance user you can get outside of Lon'Qu!Noire who is a bow user so that kinda shits on her.

Even without the rescue staff, Falcos are feasible.

If we're going to bring in self imposed restrictions, canon class paths make it so that Dark Flier, meaning Galeforce, isn't accessible, ever. And that went just fine.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But canon class paths? Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

I think he means the class paths with their unique palettes.

Assuming that they have one, that is. A better phrasing would be their original class, and its default promotion, since some character designs default to the class design. An example being Ricken (minus the hat), Tharja, Cynthia and Inigo

Granted, there are rare cases where a unit has more than one unique palette, such as the promotions of Lissa Sully, Stahl, Kellam, Maribelle, Owain, Kjelle and Brady

Lots of people have said it's viable on Hard (heck, I'd go as far as to say it's easy). It's possible on Lunatic as well. I've done it myself, and I made a bit of a log if you're interested. A few thoughts I'd offer - which should be applicable to any difficulty:

Kids are really important to this. Should go without saying really, but they're going to be your lategame, pretty much. You want probably 4-6 good kids, meaning Robin + Wife, Chrom + Wife and 1-2 other pairings. I used 8 gen 1s and 6 kids, although I think I'd probably recommend 6 & 5 instead (the last kid can pair up with one of his/her parents).

It's important to pass good skills to the kids. There's a tough balance in when you recruit them - do it too soon and they miss out on lategame power. Do it too late and they become extremely difficult to train, and they don't have time to gain their levels. I mostly recruited after getting a desired skill on the parent - usually two level 20/5 skills or one 20/5 and one 20/15 skill. Which, yes, is pretty viable to get around the midgame when you aren't reclassing and are focusing on a reasonably small group of characters. Awakening is very easy to earn EXP in. You probably won't get Chrom's wife to 20/15 (I tried) so look at someone who gets something nice at 20/5 instead - Sully for Defender or Luna is probably best.

Also in terms of kids, remember that they can get skills from their own line already, so consider how you want to promote them when deciding what to do with the parents. For instance with Miriel, Laurent has the same base class, so if you want Laurent to go Sage passing down Rally Magic wouldn't be very helpful to him.

Consider carefully who you want Robin to marry, since it determines Morgan's base class and thus class for the entire game. I went with Tharja, not because Tharja is anything special herself but because it's the only way to get a gen 2 Dark Mage, which helps a lot. But there are definitely other good options.

Using stat boosters on the parents with two kids can be quite nice as it may give +1 to both kids, in addition to +2 to the specific parent. For instance you could get Chrom to get +2 Speed with a Speedwing, and that +2 speed might also give Lucina and her sibling +1 speed as well due to Chrom's higher base stats. This can be a nice way to squeeze a little efficiency out of stat boosters - but you may just prefer to save them for the kids who really need them.

Remember that gen 1 characters will end up somewhat mediocre - they'll still be usable, but nothing too special. The kids will be your lategame, with hopefully 4 good promoted skills plus one more skill from their own pre-promotion class, and good stats to boot. Although Chrom, Robin and potentially a few others will certainly help a bit during a lot of the late chapters.

Assuming that they have one, that is. A better phrasing would be their original class, and its default promotion, since some character designs default to the class design. An example being Ricken (minus the hat), Tharja, Cynthia and Inigo

Granted, there are rare cases where a unit has more than one unique palette, such as the promotions of Lissa Sully, Stahl, Kellam, Maribelle, Owain, Kjelle and Brady

Going via their portraits as well.

For the children, they have Future of Despair classes.

For the parents, the class promotions of the classes before FE8 branching.

With Cleric and Priest being the exception, since mage already takes Sage.

Essentially, Great Knights, Dark Knights, Berserkers, Bow Knights, and Dark Pegasi/Fliers are never promoted to.

Edited by shadowofchaos

it pretty much plays like a standard fire emblem game. you can easily beat the main game with 40 levels.

awakening isn't known for having interesting maps though, so i would find this kind of thing pretty boring fast. but that's just me.

Edited by Radiant head

• 2 weeks later...

awakening isn't known for having interesting maps though, so i would find this kind of thing pretty boring fast. but that's just me.

Agreed. To me, the best part of Awakening is its postgame content.