Should I get Tokyo Mirage Sessions for Christmas?

It's Christmas time, and I've yet to ask for my "big thing" yet, the icing on the cake. And yeah, it's a Fire Emblem game, I like Fire Emblem, so on and so on.

But I've honestly heard only mixed reviews about it. Is it worth getting, TLDR?

If you like the following:

- Picking on enemy weaknesses

- Characters ranging from decent to good

- Music (yes this is subjective, but that's the theme of the game)

- Hilarious nods to past Fire Emblem games

- A completely different type of combat system

you'll like the game. I don't regret my preorder at all!

I recommend it 100%. It is really refreshing and vivid. The gameplay is really fun, specially when you tackle weaknesses and chain sessions. The music and animations are cool, so get it and you won't regret it. Imo, the game is really good at hooking one as a player.

You've only heard mixed reviews? Really? Most of the reviews I've seen of this game have been very positive...

Anyways, you'll like this game if (in addition to what people have said above) you enjoyed Persona 3 or Persona 4. A potential dealbreaker that isn't immediately obvious is if you don't like subtitles for whatever reason, since this game never received a dub. Everything else should be something that you can judge on your own.

Yeah it is more Persona like then FE like, but there are more then enough references to make it fun. I am currently doing my second run and I like it better the second time then I did when I first played it, the game is really growing on me.

I guess I'll give a perspective of someone that didn't entirely love the game, but played it all the way through... The question comes to what do you value in an RPG. If story and exploration are what you value stay away from this game it is super linear (not just in progression, but the world as well the dungeons are very tight and there's zero open environments) and has a fairly boring story. If the combat and mechanics of an RPG are what you value, this RPG will have more than enough for you, it has creative dungeons and a pretty good combat system. It also has some pretty good characters and some a bunch of Fire Emblem fan service. If that sounds appealing to you and you don't mind the lack of a great story and exploration, then you will enjoy this game. If the lack of those two things are dealbreaker I do not recommend it because you have a similar experience to me as I found it plainly mediocre.

Edited by Locke087

I guess I'll give a perspective of someone that didn't entirely love the game, but played it all the way through... The question comes to what do you value in an RPG. If story and exploration are what you value stay away from this game it is super linear (not just in progression, but the world as well the dungeons are very tight and there's zero open environments) and has a fairly boring story. If the combat and mechanics of an RPG are what you value, this RPG will have more than enough for you, it has creative dungeons and a pretty good combat system. It also has some pretty good characters and some a bunch of Fire Emblem fan service. If that sounds appealing to you and you don't mind the lack of a great story and exploration, then you will enjoy this game. If the lack of those two things are dealbreaker I do not recommend it because you have a similar experience to me as I found it plainly mediocre.

Thing is, TMS is not the type of RPG to compete with RPGs like uhh... Xenoblade, maybe? It's not exactly a highly elaborated game. Instead it is a collaboration game between Atlus and Ninty with some references from SMT and FE, not the crossover it was stated by development. It is more like a happy game designed to enjoy music, visuals and character development/relationships rather than with a strong plot or something. In fact, as far as I've felt it is a standard FE story ~

I may not be the best person to list an opinion, since I was spending the majority of my play time dumping and checking script, but I did find the game a big of a slog to play. I'm trying to look back on it now--the pacing, from what I remember, seems to be good (trying to keep my experience away here, since I know it'll effect barely anyone), the characters, whilst generally one-note (heh, music puns), are pretty amusing (Itsuki is your typical JPRG male lead, although he has some good dialogue choices), and the gameplay is simply fantastic, with the Session mechanic being the best mechanic Atlus have made for their SMT games. The game has a good sense of humour, in my opinion. The plot's pretty whack, though. And the writing isn't anything to write home about. It's serviceable.

Something I noticed is that I don't think Atlus did good representation for some of the FE characters; the FE enemy Mirages you encounter don't act at all like their characters from the source material, and neither do two or three of the player ones. I won't say who they are, though, as you might consider it spoilers.

In regards to the music: the vocal tracks are absolutely phenomenal (an entire playlist can be found here--you may even find a song or two that aren't featured in the game at all!), and are definitely the highlight of the game. However, a lot of the background music is a bit naff and extremely forgettable. The battle music is pretty good, although nothing is really noteworthy.

EDIT: I'd get it. It's a JRPG that's going to fly under the radar of the majority. And it's a shame, because it's a fairly good one. But outside of the vocal tracks, don't expect anything high quality.

Edited by DodgeDusk

I enjoyed the game quite well (despite not expecting to, since I'm not a fan of SMT generally) but it's very much a game whose only real strength is its gameplay. Others have said better than me how what sorts of things you may or may not look for in a JRPG will influence your opinion of this game. (I don't care about exploration so TMS lacking that is of no concern for me.)

Thing is, TMS is not the type of RPG to compete with RPGs like uhh... Xenoblade, maybe? It's not exactly a highly elaborated game. Instead it is a collaboration game between Atlus and Ninty with some references from SMT and FE, not the crossover it was stated by development. It is more like a happy game designed to enjoy music, visuals and character development/relationships rather than with a strong plot or something. In fact, as far as I've felt it is a standard FE story ~

Nintendo barely did anything major in the game. This is solely an Atlus game and only an Atlus game. What a way to screw up a Nintendo IP.

Also, seeing how poorly this game did, well, serves it right. I hope to god we never see another sequel of this ever again.

Nintendo barely did anything major in the game. This is solely an Atlus game and only an Atlus game. What a way to screw up a Nintendo IP.

Also, seeing how poorly this game did, well, serves it right. I hope to god we never see another sequel of this ever again.

I don't know what issues happened during development that delayed the project so much, or what struggles happened during it, but I most certainly would be pleased to have a sequel or a similar game.

What a way to screw up a Nintendo IP

Screwing up an IP??? What are you even talking about? Dislike the game all you want, but saying it screwed up Fire Emblem (which does not make sense because it isn't even a main series game) is a huge exaggeration.

What did this game does that was so bad that you "hope to god" it doesn't get a sequel? I am not a huge fan of Hyrule Warriors, but I don't "hope to god" that it doesn't get a sequel, nor do I think it is "ruining the Zelda IP" Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

In fact, the game does some things really well done that not even the main games do or are consistent with. For example, character development, side quests/gaidens, arena, grinding, skill system, class change, etc.

So now that makes Atlus more suited for FE than Intelligent Systems?

I get that its subjective matter that some things in the main games aren't exactly like before...but saying that a spin off is better than the main ones is seriously damaging the IP now.

EDIT: Also you're forgetting that FE is TRPG and this one is solely RPG so of course its bound to do better than TRPGs because of how RPGs are often long.

Edited by Harvey

So now that makes Atlus more suited for FE than Intelligent Systems?

I get that its subjective matter that some things in the main games aren't exactly like before...but saying that a spin off is better than the main ones is seriously damaging the IP now.

EDIT: Also you're forgetting that FE is TRPG and this one is solely RPG so of course its bound to do better than TRPGs because of how RPGs are often long.

I never brought that? IS has done a good job with the series in every console, but still has been kind of inconsistent with them.

No, because it's still a matter of taste and perspective, but some stuff in a spinoff can be good to be introduced to the main one. In fact, Fates Arena is pretty similar to TMS's but they still differ in some aspect.

For example, I liked Colosseum and XD more than the main games, but it's because it appealed more to me.