3 Brothers Discussion

Lycheee

Hey all,

I wanted opinions about Boyd, Oscar, and Rolf. I personally have had, in the past, an amazing time with both Oscar and Rolf (Most memorable playthrough I have is when I used Rolf to kill almost everything after promotion.) Boyd has never really been good, until this most recent playthrough where he has been leveling skill almost consistently.

What are all of your experiences with the brothers?

I think Oscar and Boyd are two of the best characters in the game in PoR. Oscar is on a horse with lances and earth affinity and a free weapon choice on promotion, which is pretty much a recipe for greatness. Boyd has great strength and speed and is good for shoving others (namely Ike) into favourable positions. Rolf is not great considering he's locked to bows and they don't do as much damage here, even if his stats grow to be solid he just falls behind too much from lack of offense on enemy phases.

oscar is great. i mean is str growth is a really shaky, but he becomes your first paladin who isn't a prepromote along with kieran, and they break the hell out of the game.

boyd is basically ike with a better weapon type (until ragnell at least).

rolf is eh. he can be pretty solid with a lot of babying, but solid isn't good enough considering how much effort that takes. the best thing about him is that he can wipe that smug smile off naesala's face with laguz bow and triangle attack.

Oscar and Boyd are solid units, Rofl... Not so much (Rolf is arguably the worst unit in the game).

I thought the best thing about him was that he could recruit Shinon.

Ditto. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 3 weeks later...

I found Oscar to be extremely useful in PoR, and he was the first I got to promote only by EXP, and he was practically unstoppable. The only issue I had with him was how low was his Mag stat, so he barely did any damage with the Flame Lance, but it was not a deal-breaker either. He wasn't that useful in RD, but was still good.

I didn't bother with Rolf once I got Shinon, so I don't know how good he can be. RD gave me the chance (i.e., forced me) to use him, and he was quite competent. RD gave me the chance to use many units I neglected in PoR (Marcia, Makalov, Zihark, Nephenee, etc), and I loved that.

I used Boyd mainly for the first maps until I got a roster big enough to replace him, as I'm not particularly fond of axe fighters. Again, I didn't had any troubles with him either in PoR or RD.