Russian Ambassador assassinated in Ankara, Turkey

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-ambassador-to-turkey-andrey-karlov-shot-ankara/

Talk about things going from bad to worse. Regardless of how the elections in the US have gone, this alone will probably escalate the conflict in Syria. If Russia decides to petition the UN to go to war with Turkey, who knows if the US will remain neutral, back Putin, or back Erdogan along with NATO. This could even be a 21st century Franz Ferdinand, starting a World War in the Middle East.

Never thought of it that in that much detail. Deep. I doubt it though, or at least the part on going to war with Turkey. If I remember correctly, Ferdinand was the duke of Austria and Hungary. the guy who shot him (Princip?) was from Serbia, which was basically walking on egg shells around those countries. It was the just the end of the spark, the war was going t happen eventually. Turkey is an ally on the US, we would either go to defense of Turkey, but eventually the conflict will die down to do the UN's interference. It's not nearly as bad as it was with the Great War. I don't believe in a deity, but god helps us all if WW3 happens.

russia and turkey have already stated relations will not falter.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-38370362

live update, russia to turkey:

There will be no fresh cooling in relations between Moscow and Ankara, no matter how strongly our strategic opponents in Ankara and the West want this," said Leonid Slutsky, who heads the international affairs committee of the Russian Duma.

"This is not going to happen. There are differences between us. It's a horrendous tragedy, but relations between our states will not suffer.

10:22, dec 19

live update, turkey to russia:

The Turkish Foreign Ministry has condemned the "lowly terrorist attack" that killed the Russian ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov.

In a statement, it says it will not allow the incident to "cast a shadow" over its friendship with Russia.

It also pays tribute to the ambassador as being a well respected diplomat.

The killer was said to be an off-duty Turkish policeman. Media in Turkey said he was later "neutralised" by police.

Other Turkish officials have strongly condemned the attack.

Relations between the two countries have been fraught recently, especially after a Turkish plane shot down a Russian jet close to the Syrian border.

But, on a political level, both governments have been co-operating, at least, in the ceasefire operation in the Syrian city of Aleppo.

11:03, dec 19

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Thanks for posting that, I was getting a little worried there, and a little ahead of myself. It's just that the Middle East is the 21st century Balkans, according to the logic of Otto von Bismark.

Still, you're comparing the murder of an empire's crown prince with that of an ambassador. No matter how tragic and potentially dangerous it is, the assasination of an ambassador by what seems to be a lone wolf is not in the same league as the killing of a heir to the habsburg throne by a member of a militant guerilla group.

Thanks for posting that, I was getting a little worried there, and a little ahead of myself. It's just that the Middle East is the 21st century Balkans, according to the logic of Otto von Bismark.

in addition to what yojinbo said, i recommend watching this: http://www.fallen.io/ww2/

it is a detailed look at ww2 body count. pay close attention to the end.

Still, you're comparing the murder of an empire's crown prince with that of an ambassador. No matter how tragic and potentially dangerous it is, the assasination of an ambassador by what seems to be a lone wolf is not in the same league as the killing of a heir to the habsburg throne by a member of a militant guerilla group.

Particularly a militant guerrilla group whose leader was the chief of the Serbian army, while here there is no link.

in addition to what yojinbo said, i recommend watching this: http://www.fallen.io/ww2/

it is a detailed look at ww2 body count. pay close attention to the end.

Bit miffed that they lumped the entire Commonwealth in with the UK, but aside from that, an extremely informative video. Thanks for the link.

Yeah I heard the news and thought it would be a disaster, so I'm glad that, for once, cooler heads are prevailing. Still a shame to hear about, of course.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-ambassador-to-turkey-andrey-karlov-shot-ankara/

Talk about things going from bad to worse. Regardless of how the elections in the US have gone, this alone will probably escalate the conflict in Syria. If Russia decides to petition the UN to go to war with Turkey, who knows if the US will remain neutral, back Putin, or back Erdogan along with NATO. This could even be a 21st century Franz Ferdinand, starting a World War in the Middle East.

If there is a mastermind behind this, it's more like they are trying to ruin the Russia-Turkey relationship than Turkey trying to go against Russia directly.