Plot important equipment/weapons that is weaker than your current gear.

IceBrand

In a word: Disappointed. Same for if some weapon gets a lot of storyline hype and fails to live up to it gameplay wise (e.g. The eponymous spear in Gungnir).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Depends really, if the weapon getting hyped up then sucking was a legit plot point, I'd be okay with it, like the Master Sword in Wind Waker for a bad example.

Wasn't it more powerful than the sword Ocra gives even without its powers?

Not quite plot-related, but I was a bit disappointed that the Blessed Lance in Fates was A. not plot important B. not even Azura's signature weapon C. actually just kind of a shitty weapon in general and D. usually can't be used by Azura anyway since good luck getting her to C lances.

It has always surprised me that Eckesachs has 3 less might than the Sword of Seals, when the former in blade form is nearly zweihander levels of huge, such that it makes the latter look puny by comparison. Yet, 15 Mt versus 18 Mt. The Sword of Seals is as strong as Ragnell (I'm talking its FE9/10 stats, not the worn-down Awakening version), and even has better hit and crit. No wonder Roy hits as hard as Ike in Smash 4.

It has always surprised me that Eckesachs has 3 less might than the Sword of Seals, when the former in blade form is nearly zweihander levels of huge, such that it makes the latter look puny by comparison. Yet, 15 Mt versus 18 Mt. The Sword of Seals is as strong as Ragnell (I'm talking its FE9/10 stats, not the worn-down Awakening version), and even has better hit and crit. No wonder Roy hits as hard as Ike in Smash 4.

Eckesachs is made out to be weaker than the Binding Blade from a lore standpoint, though.

The Binding Blade is described as not being one of the Divine Weapons, but rather something else in its own class entirely, above them.

Eckesachs is simply Hartmut's actual Divine Weapon.

I was pretty disappointed that the Sword of Kings and the Treaty-Blade in FFXII were both garbage, considering how hyped up they are in-story. Especially the Treaty-Blade, considering how late in the game it comes.

Most of the time, I'm half-disapointed, half-amused.

"You got Artorias' Greatsword." "... Dude, I have a Chaos Claymore."

Or that mystical fire sword in Morrowind in Tribuna that was hyped as hell... except I already had a Daedric Dai-Katana. And that's without saying what I did when I decided to kill Helselth (who had the OP ring) and his guards, one of them having an overpowered and over-enchanted Daedric Dai-Katana

Ah, good time !

I am seriously disappointed by the Daedric weapons you get from the Daedric princes. They are way weaker than anything you bother to craft for yourself.

In Skyrim, all daedric artifact are just plain gimmicky, and not all that powerful. One of many Skyrim bad point imo.
Curses upon you, PC players who can mod their games tor rectify this heresy !

I was pretty disappointed that the Sword of Kings and the Treaty-Blade in FFXII were both garbage, considering how hyped up they are in-story. Especially the Treaty-Blade, considering how late in the game it comes.

I always thought that the reason they were weaker was to imply that they were dangerous and in a way "cursed".

Kinda like the Magicite accessories you get in the main story.

The only pieces of equipment that I can think of like that is the Magma Staff from Dragon Quest III. Everything else I can think of is either above or on-par with most equipment at that point in the game. Either way, I wasn't too disappointed with the Magma Staff, since it's not like it weakened my current equipment or it was necessary to equip it to make it past a certain part.

Depends on the way weapons are handled and how fast you end up replacing the weapons. For instance, Chrono Trigger handled it really well for the Masamune. It's not Frog's be all end all weapon, but it's absolutely clutch for the Magus fight and it's his strongest weapon available for a really long time.

Depends on the way weapons are handled and how fast you end up replacing the weapons. For instance, Chrono Trigger handled it really well for the Masamune. It's not Frog's be all end all weapon, but it's absolutely clutch for the Magus fight and it's his strongest weapon available for a really long time.

A sidequest allows you to get SERIOUS bonuses to this weapon as well. So it ends up being Frog's best weapon if you do the quest.

I am seriously disappointed by the Daedric weapons you get from the Daedric princes. They are way weaker than anything you bother to craft for yourself.

Pretty much. The only worthwhile Daedric artifacts are the non-weapon ones.

I always thought that the reason they were weaker was to imply that they were dangerous and in a way "cursed".

Kinda like the Magicite accessories you get in the main story.

The Nethicite accessories had an actual reason to be the way they were though; natural Nethicite was dangerously unstable and too powerful to use. The Sword of Kings and Treaty-Blade being so weak considering they are the only things in-story that can cut through Nethicite makes no sense. It's worth noting that both weapons got a power boost in the International Zodiac Job System version, too.

A sidequest allows you to get SERIOUS bonuses to this weapon as well. So it ends up being Frog's best weapon if you do the quest.

I forgot about this but I thought there was still a better one? It's been a while since I've played it ((it's one of my favorite games ever though so I probably should know more than this ._.)) but there definitely is a serious period where it's not his ideal weapon. Either case I think it's handled well.

The Nethicite accessories had an actual reason to be the way they were though; natural Nethicite was dangerously unstable and too powerful to use. The Sword of Kings and Treaty-Blade being so weak considering they are the only things in-story that can cut through Nethicite makes no sense. It's worth noting that both weapons got a power boost in the International Zodiac Job System version, too.

Ah, I forgot about the cutting Nethicite part. Perhaps they are so weak be because their only purpose is to cut Nethicite? Kinda of a weak reasoning, but it's bets excuse for it's low stats that I can come up with.

I always thought that the Swords of Kings and the Treaty-Blade should have been Key Items instead of actually equippable weapons, kinda like cerimonial swords rather than actual weapons.

Perhaps they originally were going to be Key Items, but the devs decided to make them equippable as a last moment decision.

Edited by Water Mage

I forgot about this but I thought there was still a better one? It's been a while since I've played it ((it's one of my favorite games ever though so I probably should know more than this ._.)) but there definitely is a serious period where it's not his ideal weapon. Either case I think it's handled well.

Nope, boosted Masamune is his best weapon even in the DS version.

Bunch of other characters get new weapons, but 200 is still great attack, and he gets a crest in the remake that increases its crit (and halves MP.)

And even then, they are still not very useful, considering that the weapons you'll have are still better than those two swords.

Anyway, this doesn't work for the Treaty-Blade, but I Always tought that the sword of kings may be so weak because, as time passed, It lost Its original power, the power that It had when King Raithwall used it.

But still, I agree, It was quite disappointed to see them having such a weak power in-game.