Plot important equipment/weapons that is weaker than your current gear.

IceBrand

Probably Dein Nomos from Tales of Vesperia when Yuri gets a hold of it.

I don't know about that - the Key of Lorelei from Tales of the Abyss and the Material Blades from Tales of Symphonia are better examples. For the former in particular, it's possible to have gotten the main character's strongest weapon long before you even get it.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I don't know about that - the Key of Lorelei from Tales of the Abyss and the Material Blades from Tales of Symphonia are better examples. For the former in particular, it's possible to have gotten the main character's strongest weapon well before you get it.

Yeah, they're better examples. I just posted the first thing that came to mind on that one out of what was fresher in my memory.

Edited by Raguna

Yeah, they're better examples. I just posted the first thing that came to mind on that one out of what was fresher in my memory.

IIRC, Dein Nomos is Yuri's strongest weapon for a while anyway.

To be fair, in Tales of you generaly have to do that one sidequest of utter badassness to have a weapon truly superior to the sword of plot-device.

Like in Tales of Phantasia, Eternal Sword is surclassed by Excalibur, at the very end of the very difficult Dwarf Ruin, and then Gungnir III beyond (Hello Pluto ! Chester want to speak to you...) Though if you want to get technical, you could put Bahamut's Tail between Eternal Sword and Excalibur

My goodness, this dungeons was awesome, I want to replay it.
Tales of Symphonia, Material Blades are only surclasses by Nebilim if I remember correctly, the special weapon from those infamous fell weapons questlines.

Dein Nomos, Netorare no Ken. :(

Edited by B.Leu

To be fair, in Tales of you generaly have to do that one sidequest of utter badassness to have a weapon truly superior to the sword of plot-device.

Like in Tales of Phantasia, Eternal Sword is surclassed by Excalibur, at the very end of the very difficult Dwarf Ruin, and then Gungnir III beyond (Hello Pluto ! Chester want to speak to you...) Though if you want to get technical, you could put Bahamut's Tail between Eternal Sword and Excalibur

My goodness, this dungeons was awesome, I want to replay it.

Tales of Symphonia, Material Blades are only surclasses by Nebilim if I remember correctly, the special weapon from those infamous fell weapons questlines.

Dein Nomos, Netorare no Ken. :(

But Excalibur would require having gotten far enough in the game to have gotten the Eternal Sword, as opposed to the other ones I mentioned. Abyss is especially egregious about it since it's possible to have the main character's (and for that matter, almost everyone else's) strongest weapon in the middle of the game.

Also, the Material Blades are outclassed by both the Kusanagi Blade and Valkyrie Saber, both of which are obtainable before the Material Blades IIRC.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

But Excalibur would require having gotten far enough in the game to have gotten the Eternal Sword, as opposed to the other ones I mentioned. Abyss is especially egregious about it since it's possible to have the main character's (and for that matter, almost everyone else's) strongest weapon in the middle of the game.

Also, the Material Blades are outclassed by both the Kusanagi Blade and Valkyrie Saber, both of which are obtainable before the Material Blades IIRC.

Excalibur aso requires you to be high level and having shitton of supplies. :p

I did not talked about Abyss because I'm not pro about it, heck, still haven't finished it yet. Far from it. Freaking Akzeriuth.

Visibly I'm not good enough with Symphonia too, because I have no idea what the Valkyrie Saber are, and forgot that the Kusanagi blade even existed. :p

Kusanagi is that weapon that you got by defeating the the third Blade Dancer, right ? Blade Dancer(s) appear only at certain point of the story at one certain place, which mean that you can easily miss it, so it's kudos if you can have it.