What Sells A Unit For You?

saisymbolic

And yeah, I can't get enough Takumi (my other two faves are probably Leo and Lon'qu, I feel they fall within that criteria, too).

You'd like Avatar: The Last Airbender; one of the main characters and one of my favorites in any form of media has a lot of those traits you like.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, while sometimes less is just less, I would argue that it's easier to write fewer solid supports than many good ones. I suppose ideally characters would have around 5-6 support options to give them enough characterization but not force them to interact with people who they share no chemistry with.

- tanks are gr8

- high movement is also gr8

- strength > magic

- Having at least one swordsmaster is a must

- I actually love units that require a lot of investment to get going. I always feel so proud when my little baby starts killing everything

- Older (not in their teens) guys with long hair in a ponytail really get me (mmmmm Yen'fay)

- buff guys and gals are real nice too (mmmm Hector mmmm Hinata mmmm Rinkah)

- blue is the best color

- armor is always cool

- so are swords

- I don't mind if a characters outfit is super revealing as long as goes with their personality (Charlotte may have the stupidest outfit in the world but it makes sense for her so I don't really care)

- personalities I like are all over the place. I do have a soft spot for the idiots and assholes tho

- I generally prefer the super over the top personalities to the more normal/boring ones (ex. I find Peri more interesting then Silas)

- plot relevance doesn't matter to be at all. If a character i'm iffy about is super important to the plot it actually motivates me to use them less (since I already see their dumb face enough as it is)

-Personality; It's the most important attribute to me. I'd rather use a weak unit I like as a character than a strong one who doesn't really appeal to me (Lowen best FE7 Cavalier!).

-Introduction; How a character is introduced probably what I look at the most. I generally tend to use characters who had a "proper" introduction (anything more than just a simple "Oh hey, let's fight together" dialogue) more than chars that are just assigned to your army like FE14 retainers. And I generally prefer characters that start as enemies. I'd always pick Elrean over Merric, Benny and Charlotte over Effie and Arthur... And I WOULD pick Samto over Navarre, if it just wouldn't be for his...

-Stats; They usually don't mean a lot to me. Only if they are downright terrible I might consider benching a unit, but as long as there is something to work with, no matter how bad-but-still-not-unusable

they are (Samto is just TOO bad...) I'll stick with it.

-Magic; I love magic classes. They just seem more special than the "generic weapon classes". Out of all Magic types Anima is probably my favorite. Though dark is nice too. Actually, I like all magic classes/units/types besides light. It just feels kinda boring. And Magic Only Runs are also a fun thing.

Edited by Mariode

I'd rather use a weak unit I like as a character than a strong one who doesn't really appeal to me (Lowen best FE7 Cavalier!).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Lowen's actually a pretty decent unit? Certainly not the best Cavalier/Paladin in the game, but definitely a pretty solid one as far as I can tell.

In terms of gameplay, units that are useful/powerful under specific merits or unique contributions -- with notable weaknesses (Olwen, Gonzales, Aran, Knoll, Arthur etc...) as opposed to just flat out generically powerful (Raven, Haar, Rutger, <Fates royal here> etc...).

In terms of character -- anyone with depth beyond specific character traits. FE7/FE8/FE9 have a lot of these (Renault, Forde, Soren as some examples). Or who are just generally likeable if not complex (Matthew, Arthur, Titania, Ranulf).

Edited by DLuna

First, the unit class. If it does not fit into my playstyle or if it is not highly convenient for the current map (e.g., pegasus knights on a mage-only map, or archers in a wyvern-heavy map) there are little chances I'm going to use it. Then, it has to have good base stats because I don't like to baby units either, and it has to be better than a unit I already have in my current team, or displace another unit in a class I don't favor as much. I prefer to have high HP/Def and decent Res if possible and usually disregard Speed, Luck and Strength to an extent. I don't care much for looks or personality if the unit is good. I never hated a unit that was good, but I found bad units whose personality traits I also disliked, Makalov for example.

For me the base starting class is usually what draws me. I love pegasus knights, archers, mages, and troubadours, so if a character is one of those classes from the start, I usually grow attached to them very quickly.

Secondly is aesthetic. I like most of the Fire Emblem characters. The worst I'll call a character boring. So how they look really plays a part. I typically prefer feminine and lithe qualities.

I typically dislike characters who are popular. Popular characters are typically annoying, with the exception of Tharja. My favorite characters in the series are Miranda, Fiona, Meg, Jeorge, Astrid, Leonardo, Micaiah, Pelleas, Tharja, and Henry.

Masculine units, male or female, are a total turn-off to me. I'm fine with more masculine units regardless of their gender, but softer characters are better.

Low skill is typically my biggest issue with units. Bad hit rates can ruin everything else.

I don't care much about classes, though I really enjoy Tellius Cavaliers, Archers, Pegasus Knights, Curates, and Knights.

I like prepromotes and typically hate Ests. The only Ests I like are Pelleas, Miranda, and Est. Nino is the worst. I love Donnel, Meg, and Fiona, though none of them count as Ests because they come so early.

One last thing is that I'm biased towards the Dawn Brigade and I hate the Greil Mercenaries.

Edited by Freyjadour

I typically dislike characters who are popular. Popular characters are typically annoying, with the exception of Tharja. My favorite characters in the series are Miranda, Fiona, Meg, Jeorge, Astrid, Leonardo, Micaiah, Pelleas, Tharja, and Henry.

Masculine units, male or female, are a total turn-off to me. I'm fine with more masculine units regardless of their gender, but softer characters are better.

Low skill is typically my biggest issue with units. Bad hit rates can ruin everything else.

I don't care much about classes, though I really enjoy Tellius Cavaliers, Archers, Pegasus Knights, Curates, and Knights.

I like prepromotes and typically hate Ests. The only Ests I like are Pelleas, Miranda, and Est. Nino is the worst. I love Donnel, Meg, and Fiona, though none of them count as Ests because they come so early.

One last thing is that I'm biased towards the Dawn Brigade and I hate the Greil Mercenaries.

I think the Early (and weak) heavy-growth units can be compared with Cliff, the first unit of this kind.

I find interesting your like for Tharja, I mean, I like her too but it's curious how do you find it "annoying" unlike the other popular characters.

Also, I think you're the first and only person that I know that loves Miranda (I have even found Meg and Fiona fans somehow), with every other person is a neutral or negative view.

"- If you have a particular aesthetic trait that sets you a part from your peers, I will home in on you.

- Give me a character that looks good on the battlefield, and there is a 99.99% chance that I will try to use you even if you might be straight doodoo butter.

- I like units that I can baby and they grow into monsters with enough care. Mozume, Donnel, Amelia and Ross are my precious cinnamon buns."

​Basically, If I like the look and the personality I will most likely use you. Example, I am currently in a Shadow Dragon Run and I am using Caesar and Radd even though they pale in comparison to Ogma and Navarre. But I like their look more. And tbh, I really enjoy Radd so far, Caesar sux tho.

Other stuff that I forgot to mention:

-Personality doesn't mean too much to me for the most part.

-When it comes to stats, low luck is generally one of the biggest issues I can have with a unit - constantly facing crit chances can ruin a unit's viability, especially if they don't offer much to make up for it *cough ARTHUR hack*.

-When it comes to class, I'm biased towards pegasus knights, healers and mages, and biased against fighters, thanks to most of the fighters you get sucking (Arthur, Charlotte, Ward, Garcia, etc.)

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia