Questions Concerning Inheritance

I have a few questions concerning inheritance overall in FE4- namely, how it works in general because I have no clue, but specifically I'm wondering about 4 characters specifically:

Deirdre, Finn (Should I decide to pair him up), Quan, and Ethlyn.

I'm wondering if items are inherited from Deirdre by Julia, or if I should sell all of Deirdre's items before she leaves so as not to waste them. I'm also wondering how Inheritance will affect Finn in the second generation if I end up pairing him off, since my main hesitation with pairing him with Aideen over Midir is Finn himself being affected by inheritance, making Finn a unique case compared to other units.

All of these units leave early on top of all of that, so is there anything specific I need to make sure of to trigger their inheritances or do they automatically pass items down when they leave?

Finally, does Inheritance pass down all items or just specific ones? How does it work in general?

I'm on Chapter 2 and before I proceed further I wanted to arm myself with knowledge so I don't screw up my pairings I spent 4 hours making.

If it makes any difference, here's the pairings I have set up:

Finn/Midir + Aideen (It depends on how inheritance effects Finn if I'm going to decide on using Finn or Midir in the end)

Noish + Ayra

Beowolf + Raquesis (Non negotiable)

Claude + Sylvia (non negotiable because of Cairpre and the Valkyrie Staff)

Lewyn + Erin (Non negotiable)

Azel + Taillte

Dew + Bridget (Very close to non negotiable because of Patty)

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Deirdre gives nothing to Julia (Julia is a fixed character, and is not concerned by inheritance & all)

Quann automatically pass down any lance, ring and sword (should he loot any like the thunder sword) he has when he leaves.
Ethlyn automatically pass down any sword and ring she has when she leaves.

Finn can only pass down rings to Aideen's son and will lose all his equipment. Midir is a far better option for Aideen.

In general, every item the corresponding kid can use in his base class (holy blood bonuses included) will be automatically passed down (Tiltyu's/Taillte's thorron being an exception). Holy weapons (except Tyrfing) will be inherited regardless of this.

For example, Fury/Erin God I hate this name will pass down rings, lances up to B rank, and swords up to B rank (A rank if she was paired with Holyn). Should the kid end up with more than 7 items, excess inventory will be sent to the storage

Edited by Sartek

Deirdre gives nothing to Julia (Julia is a fixed character, and is not concerned by inheritance & all)

Quann automatically pass down any lance, ring and sword (should he loot any like the thunder sword) he has when he leaves.

Ethlyn automatically pass down any sword and ring she has when she leaves.

Finn can only pass down rings to Aideen's son and will lose all his equipment. Midir is a far better option for Aideen.

In general, every item the corresponding kid can use in his base class (holy blood bonuses included) will be automatically passed down (Tiltyu's/Taillte's thorron being an exception). Holy weapons (except Tyrfing) will be inherited regardless of this.

For example, Fury/Erin God I hate this name will pass down rings, lances up to B rank, and swords up to B rank (A rank if she was paired with Holyn). Should the kid end up with more than 7 items, excess inventory will be sent to the storage

So Sigurd is the only parent that matters between him and Dierdre, inheritance wise, and I should probably sell whatever Dierdre has before she leaves?

Deirdre doesn't pass anything, so you'd better sell her stuff.

If Finn is paired he will give everything he has to his son/Patty like everyone else and will start with just his default iron lance (he'll have that even if he's not paired).

Finally, children only inherit weapons they can use immediately and rings, plus half the combined founds of their parents IIRC.

Don't worry about losing an item because most of them can be found later in the shop or from enemies, and don't worry about having Finn start with the iron lance only because he is strong enough anyway and starts close to a castle that's not the main one, so he can enter, go through the arena and buy equipment in a single turn.

Deirdre doesn't pass anything, so you'd better sell her stuff.

If Finn is paired he will give everything he has to his son/Patty like everyone else and will start with just his default iron lance (he'll have that even if he's not paired).

Finally, children only inherit weapons they can use immediately and rings, plus half the combined founds of their parents IIRC.

So just to make sure I'm interpreting that second sentence correctly, Fathers pass down to the son and Mothers to the daughter with the exceptions of Patty who takes from the father?

I've also heard Leif inherits from Ethlyn and not Quan, and Altena inherits from Quan. Does that mean I'll have to swap items around if I want an item from the father to go to a specific character in the event his son can't use it but daughter can, or would it automatically go to the daughter? (or do I even need to worry about this?)

Leif and Altenna have their inheritance swapped too.

So Patty/ Faval and Altena/Leif have swapped inheritances? No one else though?

From what I can tell, Claude x Slyvia is literally the only way to wind up with a unit in Gen 2 that can use the Valkyrie staff outside of maybe a promoted Arthur, right? Or is there anyone else that can get and use it?

I've also heard Leif inherits from Ethlyn and not Quan, and Altena inherits from Quan. Does that mean I'll have to swap items around if I want an item from the father to go to a specific character in the event his son can't use it but daughter can, or would it automatically go to the daughter? (or do I even need to worry about this?)

Ethlin passes down Swords and other items to Leaf, but not Staves and Lances because Leaf's base class has no access to these weapon types.

Cuan passes down straight up everything in his possession to Altenna. They have access to exatly the same items and weapons without any exception.

All you have to do before the end of Ch.3 is to have Ethlin equipped with a Sword or two to pass down to Leaf and whatever ring you think he'll need. As for Cuan, you don't really have to care about anything. Just trigger the conversation so he gets the Gae Bolg and sell all his other Lances.

So Patty/ Faval and Altena/Leif have swapped inheritances? No one else though?

From what I can tell, Claude x Slyvia is literally the only way to wind up with a unit in Gen 2 that can use the Valkyrie staff outside of maybe a promoted Arthur, right? Or is there anyone else that can get and use it?

Arthur can't use the Valkyrie even when promoted. The only other choice is Ced (Fury/Erin's son)

Somewhat related; how to I prevent Finn from falling in love with Bridget or Taillte in Chapter 3 without wasting the 50 turn chance to grow their affection with Dew and Azel (respectively), while also getting Finn to at least a respectable level (not promotion) before the end of the chapter? Finn has a flat out rediculous love growth with both new females and I don't want him to knock up either of them and prevent Dew and Azel from doing so. Is it even a problem with Finn to spontaneously fall in love in chapter 3?

Complete the map before he falls in love with her, or have him fall in love with someone else before the same.

Is there any tactic aside from that that doesn't waste usable turns or marry him off? =/

If I kill Finn does he retain his inventory in the second generation?

Is there any other way around it that would make it impossible for him to fall in love with either of them while maximizing their growth with Dew and Azel?

Is there any tactic aside from that that doesn't waste usable turns or marry him off? =/

If I kill Finn does he retain his inventory in the second generation?

Is there any other way around it that would make it impossible for him to fall in love with either of them while maximizing their growth with Dew and Azel?

It takes 32 full turns before Finn falls in love with Briggid if you don't put them side by side. That's assuming Briggid has shown up on the map before or at turn 18 (Love growth only happens during the first 50 turns). It can be a problem if you're careless, but Dew and Azel have two full chapters after Chap 3 so it shouldn't be an issue to have them fall in love with Tiltyu and Briggid.

I don't know about Finn's inventory. You could always kill him and then resurrect him with the Valkyrie staff but that seems a bit drastic.

Edited by salinea

It takes 32 fulls turns before Finn falls in love with Briggid if you don't put them side by side. That's assuming Briggid has shown up on the map before or at turn 18 (Love growth only happens during the first 50 turns). It can be a problem if you're careless, but Dew and Azel have two full chapters after Chap 3 so it shouldn't be an issue to have them fall in love with Tiltyu and Briggid.

I don't know about Finn's inventory. You could always kill him and then resurrect him with the Valkyrie staff but that seems a bit drastic.

If I put Finn next to both of them, and then put Dew next to Bridget and Azel next to Taillte, how many more turns does that give Dew and Azel to fall in love?

I didn't think I'd say this but I'm more worried about people falling in love with the wrong person than I am not getting them to fall in love at all, and at the same time falling in love too soon to get certain rewards (Ayra's brave sword for example can only be gotten if she and Holyn are both unwed in chapter 3)

If I put Finn next to both of them, and then put Dew next to Bridget and Azel next to Taillte, how many more turns does that give Dew and Azel to fall in love?

I don't understand your question. Why do you want to put Finn next to both of them?

Azel/Tiltyu should be easy, they have a love growth convo in chap 4 for 100 love points and a high base. 500-120-100=180 love points to make up in three chapters. They have +3 growth per turn, plus the 5 per turn if you try very hard that's only 35 total turns to make them fall in love.

Briggid/Dew is a bit harder because they don't have any convo and the growth is only +2 and the base 50. So you need 64 turns at 2+5 side by side to have them fall in love. Since they have the same move, it takes longuer but it's still do-able in the remaining chapters (As long as Briggid doesn't fall in love with someone else, just be careful of not putting her side by side with any other male character).

That's before getting into other ways to max love growth like Jealousy system. But that's complicated for a first play-through and not really necessary.

It takes 32 full turns before Finn falls in love with Briggid if you don't put them side by side. That's assuming Briggid has shown up on the map before or at turn 18 (Love growth only happens during the first 50 turns). It can be a problem if you're careless, but Dew and Azel have two full chapters after Chap 3 so it shouldn't be an issue to have them fall in love with Tiltyu and Briggid.

Yeah, having Bridget and Taillte appear at, say, turn 20 instead of turn 18 shouldn't hurt them at all when it comes to getting the pairings you want in the long run. Just don't seize Silvail super-early (turn 18 or earlier) and the math won't allow Finn to get Bridget, and she has priority over Taillte anyway.

Is it even possible to resurrect Finn in Gen1? He's furloughed to home, not dead if his HP hits 0.

Is it even possible to resurrect Finn in Gen1? He's furloughed to home, not dead if his HP hits 0.

If Finn dies, he and Cuan and Ethlin immediately withdraw from the map and are no longer usable. Ditto when Ethlin or Cuan dies (Finn always leaves with them). So if you kill Finn you're stuck with whatever his inventory was at the time, same with the other two.

If Finn dies, he and Cuan and Ethlin immediately withdraw from the map and are no longer usable. Ditto when Ethlin or Cuan dies (Finn always leaves with them). So if you kill Finn you're stuck with whatever his inventory was at the time, same with the other two.

Nope.

"Killed" all three of them over the years. Quan and Ethlyn leave as a pair. Finn leaves on his own. That's why there are three different dialogue variants at the beginning of CH4.