Help With Music

escotanner

Is there someone out there who knows about putting music into fire emblem games because I've tried and it is so hard. No matter what I do, it always keeps going wrong.(If this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize in advance).

What is it that you don't get? please don't tell me you are using that awful ultimate tutorial method

If you mean the one from Blazer, then yes that's the one I've been using. The problem is that I can't find my header and chapter 24 part 7 of the hex editor method is where I'm stuck at.

Okay. I'm sorry, but can you explain the process to me so I don't mess it up please?

The learning process might take you a bit, and may seem complicated, but is really not hard once you get the hang of it. The ultimate tutorial music insertion guide is the dumbest way to insert music these days. Get Sappy from a GBA ROM utilities website or whatever, and also download Anvil Studio. Whatever MIDI you wish to insert, open it in Anvil Studio. If there are more than 8 tracks (which is what I believe the limit is without the patch, which I can't remember what the parameters for that is) then either scratch that MIDI and find another one with 8 or less tracks. Or, you can delete some tracks that have nothing on them or barely contribute to the overall sound of the song. Your choice.

Basically the next thing you want to do in Anvil Studio is find the place where you want the ROM to start its loop once the song is over and you want it to start again. Click that exact area. Click play to make sure it's playing from the point you want to it to start its loop, if it's good, go back and click that place again. Then, what you're gonna wanna do is click "new cue", which is somewhere at the top, and then type " [ ", yes, that's right, just a simple [. NO QUOTATIONS, NO SPACES. Then the place where you want the loop to end, click "new cue", and put " ] ", again no quotations, no spaces, just ]. So what I mean by looping (which I am assuming you know already) is so that the song can play continuously. If you don't put these square brackets, it won't loop and the song will just play once.

After that, click "Export MIDI-Format 0", once you're done that a popup will come up, but just ignore it. BY THE WAY, do not name your exported MIDI files with numbers in them, only letters. ONLY LETTERS.

Ok I forgot to mention you're going to need a program called midi2agb (no I didn't misspell it).

Literally all you do with your exported MIDI file is click it in your file explorer (or whatever it's called, the place where you look at all your files), drag it, and drop onto midi2agb. A .s file should appear with the same name as your MIDI file. You can open that .s file with a notepad program to adjust certain settings of the song... I don't think I'll get into that yet.

Now let's open Sappy. In Sappy, find the song you wish to replace. Just browse through the songs until you find the one you know you want to get rid of and replace (there's a way to add new songs without replacing but let's just keep it simple). Click "Assemble Song" (I think that's what it is) and grab your .s file and open it. After you click "Cook it" (I think it says that too, or if it's changed it might just say ok, but I doubt it's been changed), it'll ask you if you want to use the voicetable or whatever I dunno, just click yes. Your song should be inserted. You're gonna want to open it and test it in your ROM, so if you know an easy way to do that, then try it out.

Honestly, it'll probably sound bad. I know that my bum you out, but seriously, there are just a few other steps which I don't feel like typing right now because I am on the brink of passing right out and I still have a tons of crap to do before then. I don't even know why I decided to type all of this! Anyways, someone might swing by and correct whatever errors I made in telling you what to do, but I'm pretty sure I got most of it right. Just don't feel down if it doesn't sound the way you want it to. I went through this too, like I said, there are just a couple other steps and, off the top of my head, I actually don't feel like explaining them.

I'm also sorry I didn't provide visuals for you but that would take up more time lol oops hope this kind of helped!

Okay. I'm sorry, but can you explain the process to me so I don't mess it up please?

Hey escotanner, I know that you're just getting started but this kind of mindset is exactly how and why you mightn't progress as a modder... you just need to give things a bash and see what happens. When you've tried something and then it fails, that's when you need to come with questions. Use that noggin of yours and at least try to solve your own problems before you come running for help.

Hey escotanner, I know that you're just getting started but this kind of mindset is exactly how and why you mightn't progress as a modder... you just need to give things a bash and see what happens. When you've tried something and then it fails, that's when you need to come with questions. Use that noggin of yours and at least try to solve your own problems before you come running for help.

Okay I'll try. Thanks I feel like I needed that.