Project Re Fantasy: A Fool's Journey Begins

Jedi

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-23/atlus-reveals-project-re-fantasy-a-fool-journey-begins-fantasy-rpg/.110277

Atlus has revealed a Fantasy RPG they will be working on, it looks visually stunning, just the art style and the visuals alone scream Tactics Ogre and such

Japanese video game developer Atlus revealed its new fantasy role-playing game project under the codename Project Re Fantasy: A Fool's Journey Begins during a livestream event on Friday.
he stream also featured video comments from other famed Japanese video game creators, including KOEI Tecmo Games' Kou Shibusawa and Nihon Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo. Both creators talked about their thoughts on Atlus and cheered Atlus on in the new venture.

Famitsu had revealed on Tuesday that it would reveal a new role-playing game unrelated to its flagship Shin Megami Tensei series or Persona series, and previewed an illustration for the project by Soejima.

And they got praise from two of my favorite companies so this is pretty neat.

pc_1920_1080.png.jpg

atlusnewrpg.jpg

The new "Studio Zero" division in Atlus, headed by producer/director Katsura Hashino (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Persona 3, 4, and 5), is handling the project. Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Persona 3, 4, and 5) is serving as sound composer. On Studio Zero's official website, Hashino describes the project as Atlus' attempt at challenging what is commonly accepted in the genre of fantasy RPGs, in contrast with the Shin Megami Tensei series, which he noted as having been originally conceived with the notion of going against "common" fantasy RPGs.

Atlus recently released Persona 5 — the latest installment in the spinoff series of its Shin Megami Tensei RPGs — in Japan on September 15. Atlus will ship the game in the West on April 4.

I always like seeing what Atlus can do, so I'm stoked and will continue to pay attention to this. I don't have too much to say other than I hope we get a really nice game out of this, considering how much I like the art and such already.

Edited by Jedi

To give a little more information, Atlus have said that Project Re Fantasy is being handled by their new studio: Studio Zero. From the official statements I've read, it sounds like they're in the middle of recruitment, and they're using Project Re Fantasy as a means of enticing people to join. So I imagine this game is just concepts right now, or just started development.

EDIT: If you want a reference to go by, SMT x FE was announced around the time the actual project was given the go-ahead. It then took two years for the public to see anything from it. So I'd personally expect at least a year or so before we actually see anything substantial from this.

Edited by Blusis

I agree with Blusis since all things considered, it's still more of a teasing trailer to build up interest considering Atlus doesn't venture into fantasy except in a few cases like Etrian Odyssey. As far for now, we should probably a wait until the trailer gets translated but this will probably be it for a while. It seems interesting enough so I'll keep my hopes high for when new info appears but a year wait sounds reasonable.

I've drawn two conclusions from the trailer and art:

1. This looks closer to high fantasy. NICE~!

2. This seems like the start of a new series.

Its either going to be a new series or one of Atlus's many "one off" games, they have a number of both under their belt haha.