NUPS not working?

TheKingBahamut

Sort of a follow-up to my last post here.

Currently learning how to use the MAKEHACK command to apply changes to ROMS. I downloaded the buildfile demo and am currently trying to apply the changes made to it to a clean ROM.

Originally, I was having trouble because thee .ups file needed to patch the game wasn't appearing, but after some experimentation, I discovered that it was simply a case of "wait around for the program to actually make the file before closing it." But now I've encountered a different problem.

When I use NUPS to apply the patch to the hacked copy of the ROM, it says that the patch has been applied. Yet when I open the ROM up to test it out, none of the changes have been applied at all. I have tried this a few times and I cannot get any of the changes to work.

Does anyone have any clue as to what's going on?

MAKEHACK.cmd literally uses nothing but event assembler, so if you don't have it (as you seemed to have indicated in the previous thread) it won't actually make any changes

secondly, MAKEHACK.cmd as a script should just output a new ROM by itself, not a UPS - there's a secondary tool that creates the UPS from the modified ROM

MAKEHACK.cmd literally uses nothing but event assembler, so if you don't have it (as you seemed to have indicated in the previous thread) it won't actually make any changessecondly, MAKEHACK.cmd as a script should just output a new ROM by itself, not a UPS - there's a secondary tool that creates the UPS from the modified ROM

The buildfile comes with EA. Do I need to put it in the same place as the MAKEHACK program in order for it to work properly?

When I use NUPS to apply the patch to the hacked copy of the ROM, it says that the patch has been applied. Yet when I open the ROM up to test it out, none of the changes have been applied at all. I have tried this a few times and I cannot get any of the changes to work.

This is insufficient information.

What changes are you making, and how are you testing if they have been applied?

For example, if you're just editing some of the tables by CSV, I know from experience a few things:

a. The tables overlap, and the CSVs hold that overlapping information; so the CSVs may be overwriting the information from other CSVs.

b. You need to rerun c2ea in order to save the changes made to the tables; then run the batch command file.

The buildfile comes with EA. Do I need to put it in the same place as the MAKEHACK program in order for it to work properly?

"makehack.cmd" is not a program itself but rather a macro of sorts that tells the computer to do specific things V:

If you did not change the folder that any of the files within the Buildfile_Demo folder are in, it should work just fine.

The EA executable should be located, relative to the makehack.cmd, anywhere. You just need to address it properly in the batch file.

That batch file looks like this--

echo off

cd %~dp0

echo on

copy FE8_clean.gba FE_Hack.gba

cd "%~dp0Event Assembler"

Core A FE8 "-output:%~dp0FE_Hack.gba" "-input:%~dp0ROM Buildfile.txt"

cd "%~dp0ups"

ups diff -b "%~dp0FE8_clean.gba" -m "%~dp0FE_Hack.gba" -o "%~dp0FE_Hack.ups"

pause

So it runs "Core" from the "Event Assembler" folder, relative to the directory of the batch file (that's what the %~dp0 part means).