Let's Play: Pokemon Prism Nuzlocke

Emerson

Developed for over 8 years, this ROM hack of Pokemon Crystal was shut down 5 days ago by Nintendo. Luckily, leakers managed to get a copy of the hack from December 19th, with the game being almost complete, and it's been spreading around the internet for a while.

I don't know too much about it beyond a few very cool features, so let's begin!

IjhtVxk.png

Alright, no opening. Straight to the title screen. It's got a very nice remix of the main Pokemon theme though.

Too bad you can't hear it.

rk2qJQi.png

Holy cow, that's nice. They programmed in a calendar to select the date, rather than the "what day is it" from Gold, Silver and Crystal.

J8Tf25U.png

BnlpfEb.pngUYxq6oc.png

Yup, same as every other game.

Note: I'm going to be cutting out tons of the text from the opening. There's a LOT of it, and besides, it's pretty much what you'd expect, and some is just standard Pokemon opening, word for word.

hf9iVkD.png

ILyCkQ4.pngyAB4G0y.png

Huh. I guess I can bet on who the secret final bosses are.

Either way, both get a small introduction.

Ye3RnBO.png

1SbTmIC.png

Blah blah blah, you will go on a journey of self discovery, blah blah.

vlh5d8o.pngRScbqvk.png

This is another really cool thing with this hack; customizable characters! 6 models for each gender, multiple skin tones and clothes/hair color.

isoaJYn.png

Wait... Nora? You can't tell me that doesn't look like Nora. Goodness, even the outfit is similar.

Well, I guess Prism is a pretty fitting combo with RWBY, since, y'know, colors.

fuQpgEB.pngG2JkMh9.png

The changeable color of the outfit and hair are the same, so I guess I'll just get something that's close enough to both.

tCAcRjU.pngSveI8kZ.png

Of course, I'm naming her NORA. I always name things in the GB/GBC Pokemon games with full caps, as the main games use that for people and Pokemon names. So even though the game's text is going to be with caps at the start, I guess I'll stick to what I normally do.

stZexi4.png

i forgot to get the rest of the text- sue me

y9ty7Sh.png

Hey, this isn't a house, a moving van, or a computer screen! What kind of Pokemon game is this, not sticking to tradition!

In all seriousness, it's nice to not start in a house like every other Pokemon game, but also not some weird, abnormal plot related place like some hacks do.

G5kgHXr.png

7wqVOS1.pngxdGbcBl.png

Wait what. Did he die or something?

v1oZd4o.pngpg5xVw9.png

Oh ok.

Also secret RWBY lore confirmed: Nora's father is a Pokemon trainer!

ibq3SNg.pngfZbgP0V.png

Awww, that sweet.

IDXyfIc.png

Wait, so as your child, I wasn't forced to come with you? I chose to?

Plus, if this is going by normal logic, our protagonist should be around 10.

So our mother was ok with leaving us alone while she went on a camping trip?

I can't tell if they're an amazing kid, or if she's an awful parent.

9WEDO7j.png

Neat waterfall. Unfortunately, we can't go this way, so we have to go... south? Down? Same thing I guess.

c6JaXoy.pngDE8EZwu.png

Yeah, I guess. I mean, it's the middle of the day, so I dunno why it's dark out.

QkRLsvs.pngFy6vBye.png

EzBiAtN.png

OH NO AN EARTHQUAKE

... there's no text triggered for that, so you'll have to take my word for it.

RUnmdn6.png

Well, I guess mom's not getting any firewood.

ITOyibT.png

Oh look, a cave. Uh, that's about all I really have to say right now.

3LxloPY.png

Er, nice... snot cave.

KheCY6m.pngWtioWAe.pngYQySQR5.pngdNDuYD5.pngQyx1CN0.png

Deus Ex Minecart!

1fj5DFG.png

wWNehBZ.pngJuZxYnj.png

Oh no!

e0ndKRh.png

Oh ok, I'm just setting the time.

KbC5IWu.pngfmBcz7A.pngTv3Ytox.png

O5xEsFD.png

This is not the campsite.

"Take me right back there," my ass...

I guess that's a good enough place as any to stop for the day. I'll continue tomorrow, since I have more ready.

Edited by Emerson

APCgPwH.pngPn3P6KB.png

From where we left off, going straight up leads to a Pokemon.

ogUS3OO.pngOOIgW9n.png3qTl9rN.png1NoheTD.png

TkNxE3T.png

Uh, yeah! I'll take a psuedo-legend for a starter any day!

kAcrz9x.png

Might as well name it something relevant. I guess my naming theme is going to be weapons from RWBY now.

Fw7vrHr.png

qM2TxVW.png

Hey look! Something from past Gen 2! Most ROM hacks do this, but what's cool here is that it both has an animated sprite (It's clearly handmade too, as it's not an animation I recognize from any other Pokemon game) and it's original cry. Most hacks just copy-paste in the sprite, and maybe give it it's cry.

Of course, since I don't have any Pokeballs, I can't catch it. No Nuzlocke rules for now!

IVAft2r.png7SJ0BDe.png0ai1ilF.pngmM3X5DK.pngdmICjNf.pngmJq5NCg.png40e3A2Q.png

Magnhild easily takes down the Shinx in 2 hits, and we can move on.

gHPpUDT.pngZzrktp1.png

Well, that's not the exit I guess. Just more cave.

AXzO66c.pngQzppjoU.pngBiiEQPM.png

Going up North, we find a Potion, and going South from there is... another Larvitar?

yiYPVBk.png

Yes I just said that.

sF8udTq.pngTaA5xB3.png

LeSJN37.png

Yeah, considering this is Nora, I doubt that she couldn't lift that, or at least move it.

t3YtqOC.png

Ah, geez. Right as I reached the door, too. Once again, very nice unique animated sprite I don't recognize and cry insert.

This one might've been a problem at a higher level, but it doesn't even get a Fighting type move until level 7, so we're fine.

UJvtfUE.pngnrcAPk0.pngOfPyxBH.png

Easy peasy.

NJ3Ufpf.pngQrADkNu.pngZ0huUlS.png

Oh, that's cool! We have control over our Larvitar, so we can explore this small part of the cave.

RfSafRE.pngR77jYMZ.pngEatqYPp.png

From here there are 2 paths. One leading South to a button, and one leading North.

03IvLfy.pngRDAHP5F.pngGbecAH2.pngnlzIO2f.pngf33GOES.pngYYviDqW.png

And we get... an item. Cute, but not exactly anything worthwhile.

Upon leaving though...

TBDJzIL.pngNKIwoCW.png

I mean, do I even need to show that? It's a Sentret, what could it have possibly done?

What is cool though is the menu during this segment.

IXmSvxv.png

No items, since they're with the trainer, and it's replaced by a Guard command! Not that it's of any use at the moment, these things only do 1-2 damage to me, but hopefully this type of segment comes back in the future.

LmesoAw.png5F9gl36.pngbgwgOIa.pngIaEsg1Y.png

Upon leaving the area, it seems that the switch caused this boulder to fall down, meaning we can now advance even further.

IMhzgka.pngNgINuVv.png3i90WY0.png

Yeah, I'm fine thank you. Just fell from the ceiling and whatnot. May or may not have a broken leg or two. No big deal.

zKfhTHq.png

Uh, sure?

hQemCyu.pngDWc0kJ5.png

Oh hey, Gen 3 and beyond berry names. I guess we have some small healing to lean on in a pinch.

NF7tWJS.png

Doing out from the exit in that room leads to Caper City. So... where's the campsite from here exactly?

Anyways, this is already pretty long, so I'll cut it for today.

Edited by Emerson