Deck Building in NA

AncientEcho

Hey guys, I recently got into cipher and am really enjoying the game. I'm coming from Yu-Gi-Oh and I really enjoy the deeper strategy of cipher and am looking to get competitive. I was wondering if any cipher pros wanted to give some advice about what seems to be the strongest decks, how they work, why they work, and a solid deck for a beginner that is still competitive. I also would like some advice on the best way to acquire certain cards that aren't in the structure decks that doesn't break the bank. I'm yet to find a decent website or store near me that carries singles at a reasonable price.

I'm currently learning on the Roy and Chrom starter decks so I have knowledge of those cards/archetypes, but if they are on the weaker side of things I would love to learn another~

Thanks!

-AncientEcho

Super short summaries on some good decks and how they work -
Marth (Series 4) – Free cards means free advantage. Card advantage = win, as long as you use the cards properly.
Selkie - Puts out a very high amount of hits and tries to finish off the opponent before they can even do anything. Also restricts opponent from deploying units freely.
F Corrin (Series 3) – Similar gameplan to Selkie but slightly slower and doesn’t have the deploy restriction. She is more rounded with the ability to summon range, a 20 support, and isn’t a base 60 if they don’t deploy anything.
Elise (Series 2) – Orb regeneration skill keeps her alive and grants advantage. Stalls out the game and wins through greater card advantage. Can struggle against certain MCs or get specifically CPed with certain cards but overall her game plan is unaffected by most builds. I wouldn’t suggest this deck in a casual setting because it has a high chance of annoying people.
Oboro (Series 7) – Can promote early and doesn’t have as much of a problem of not promoting in general, which is incredibly valuable in a game where you can just lose the game from your starting hand with no promotion. Ability to get to base 80 makes it annoying for opponents without enough range. Her deck can be built at least 3 different ways, each with different strengths/weaknesses so she always has an element of surprise. She’s not as overwhelming as the decks listed above though.

Any deck can be solid enough for beginners to play as long as the MC is base 70, since a lot of MCs rely on their supporting units anyway to generate advantage. Stay away from tricolor and mage MCs as a beginner, I suppose.

Budget decks that can still put up a fight.
Ogma (red starter deck cost 3) – Standard rush (archer spam, fighters), this deck costs like 5 dollars to make. Just keep hitting them repeatedly and hope they don’t have enough of an early game or ability to hit and run.
Ranulf – Has the ability to reach 110 on defense which can wall out badly built decks. Loses to decks with more card advantage or ability to reach base 80 for hits.
Kagero (Series 7) – Ninja crit spam. Each ninja on the field counts as a free hit on their opponent as long as you have a copy of them. Deck is a guaranteed automatic lose by far if you don’t draw your promotion.

The merchandise guide on the wiki has a summary of places to get cards: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Merchandise_Guide_(Cipher)

Invite link to Cipher discord if you have more questions or want to play online.

Edited by Foodies

You're gonna have a rough, rough time, buddy-o. The strongest/stronger decks out there are exactly the ones you think they are, and boy, are they not easy to make or play against.

Female Corrin has Godly Child of the Final Light Flame, Corrin (Female), a card capable of flipping 2 Bonds and tapping itself to deploy any card cost 3 or below from your Retreat. That doesn't sound bad, but if the deployed card is Nohr (black), she may untap herself. A good few options exist for Female Corrin, Old Loyal Knight, Gunther being a notable one, since he has 70 ATK. Yes, you can attack twice for 70 even with an empty board, if you just so happen to have that promotion and Gunther at the same time.

Marth isn't as powerful as he was before, with the advent of more viable on-field removal, but he still goes strong. Lambent Hero-King, Marth allows you to gain hand advantage if you play your cards right. If Divine Weapons cards (purple cards) are added into the deck, then Marth becomes exponentially better, given access to Pegasus Knight of Gales, Tate, "Extremely Skilled" Pegasus Rider, Farina, Knight of Lycia, Eliwood, and most importantly, Pious Mage, Nino. With Nino, it is entirely possible to loop her Cost 1 version over and over with Marth's "Leader of the Ragtag", acquiring a net gain of +1.

Selkie, the third of the (original) trifecta that is top-tier decks, has Thread of Gold, Selkie, which gains attack every time anyone deploys anything. Yes, she gets stronger during your opponent's turn, and also during yours. "Masquerade" will also deploy even high-cost cards from the top of your deck, but they will die at the end of that turn. Talk about RDW.

Oboro has the highest form of speed to exist in the game: Turn 1 Promotion. Sure, it's a pretty fat chance it'll happen, but it will happen to you at least once, and you will begin to hate Oboro all the more, much like we collectively hate SalShich10N. We don't even need to say anything else about the Oboro deck, because her other skill involves Bow cards, which is a stupidly easy resource to obtain, considering Hoshido has 3 Cost 1 Archers with Attack Emblem. (Archers with Attack Emblem are reaaaaally good. That's why they replaced it with Cover Emblem.)

Elise and Lilina are nonstandard decks, since neither hit 70 base, but they excel in getting massive hand advantage, and then ruining your opponent's day soon after, bringing about powerful cards like Wellspring of Youth, Nowi and Manakete Princess, Tiki. Of course, Elise is no slouch when used in a Nohr deck.

Sothe is actually not a high-tier deck by any real means, but nonetheless is a fun deck to play, utilizing Guardian of Hope, Sothe(+) to slow your opponent down to the same pace as you (a crawl). Think of it like a more aggressive Elise or Lilina, except not really, because his "Bane" doesn't generate hand advantage for you, per se, but instead limits the opponent's options by killing anything they deploy, and then using "Green Shadow of Protection" to ensure that the enemy won't have a good time.

Aaand that's all I can recall, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more good/strong MCs that I haven't covered, but others can pick up where I left off.

I know that Roy is not optimal, from what's been described, but would there be a way to make him work at all?

There have been some Roy decks winning tournaments, but man they look expensive as fuck.

There have been some Roy decks winning tournaments, but man they look expensive as fuck.

What's the general strategy for those decks?

It does my heart good to at least see that it's at least possible. I'm fully aware of using the better cards as a way of maximizing your chances in a competition (especially with prizes/money on the line), but I would have much more fun playing with the characters I love.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0mblIbUcAAkZ4Y.jpg

Welp. It's expensive as fuark.

Roy is basically apply pressure by pulling for the first few turns. He also has nifty other abilities like moving allies for a bond flip or drawing and stacking a card for a bond flip.

You take advantage of Tiki or Deirdre by making your Flip 1 skills almost free.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

F Corrin (Series 3) – Similar gameplan to Selkie but slightly slower and doesn’t have the deploy restriction. She is more rounded with the ability to summon range, a 20 support, and isn’t a base 60 if they don’t deploy anything.

Do you have any specific list of this that you like? I looked deeper into the play styles of all those decks and I feel I would like this one the most! Also, assuming I would build a Female Corrin deck, what box would be most effective to buy to get a good core? To me it seems that the cards are split between 2 and 3, and that a structure deck 4 would be solid.

Edited by AncientEcho

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0mblIbUcAAkZ4Y.jpg

Welp. It's expensive as fuark.

Going off amenity dream's prices, in yen, cheapest options:

2x Cost 4 ST Roy 120 (240 if you want both to be +)

4x Cost 4 RX+ Roy 3120

4x Cost 4 Lilina 10000 (this fucker has 4 SR+)

4x Cost 4 Nino 12000

4x Cost 5 Woody 9120

4x Narcian 4000

4x Cost 4 Deirdre 10400

4x Cost 5 Alvis 2640

2x Cost 3 Mahnya 120

2x Cost 3 Fury 180

You can get the cost 1 cards for like 10 yen each, so it's about 180 total

Estimated Price of the deck: 51880 japanese yen

Converted to monopoly money: $440 USD

Final verdict:

Of course, this guy probably traded his cards and pulled a couple of them. Still, hot DAMN.

Do you have any specific list of this that you like? I looked deeper into the play styles of all those decks and I feel I would like this one the most! Also, assuming I would build a Female Corrin deck, what box would be most effective to buy to get a good core? To me it seems that the cards are split between 2 and 3, and that a structure deck 4 would be solid.

The best F Corrin decks are tricolor with Deidre from S6. But yeah, the main box you want to buy is S3 because you will definitely need 4x of the white F Corrin as your MC. The black starter deck isn't completely necessary and will mainly just provide your backup black F Corrin promotion and 1 copy of Gunter. S2 boxes would provide some of the other N/HNs needed, though it's likely just cheaper getting these as singles.

It's not likely you'll get a decent core for Fem Corrin in one box only, it's usually better to just buy single cards off the bat.