Kozaki/Kibiyashi Manga Suspended, but another Fates Manga is starting up next month...

The DanMan

...and it's Leo-focused.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/29/fire-emblem-fates-manga-suspended-getting-another-one-based-leo-next-month/

IS really takes those popularity polls seriously. Obviously, no word on translation, but I'm sure if it's any good (and even if it's not) someone out there on the internets will try to do a scanlation.

And Hoshido gets passed over again. I understand that they want to go with what is popular because money, and Nohr's backstory is interesting I know. But just refusing to expand on Hoshido and not even trying to make it more interesting.. it ticks me off a little... In terms of merchandise they might as well rename it Fire Emblem: Nohr (with some sidedish called Ho or something).

Well.. at least the character they focus on has an actual, well written personality to speak of, but I am not really holding my breath. Just wait for the following Corrin Harem Quest, guys.

Given how IntSys has been trying to curry favor with fans through pretty much every aspect of Fates, its DLC and related media, I'm not surprised that one of the most popular characters from the game is getting their own manga. I am a little disappointed that it's Leo getting the manga, since I'm at the weird stage where I like Leo but I actually don't find him all that interesting as a character, and unless it's the Nohr siblings' backstory told through his perspective I don't think there's really that many interesting stories surrounding Leo.

And Hoshido gets passed over again. I understand that they want to go with what is popular because money, and Nohr's backstory is interesting I know. But just refusing to expand on Hoshido and not even trying to make it more interesting.. it ticks me off a little... In terms of merchandise they might as well rename it Fire Emblem: Nohr (with some sidedish called Ho or something).

Well.. at least the character they focus on has an actual, well written personality to speak of, but I am not really holding my breath. Just wait for the following Corrin Harem Quest, guys.

I'm not expecting much; hopefully, we get some of the Nohrsib's backstory told through Leo's point of view.

And Hoshido has a massive amount of bias in the game itself, remember.

I'm not expecting much; hopefully, we get some of the Nohrsib's backstory told through Leo's point of view.

They're also probably trying to make up for Conquest in narrative via outside sources. Edited by shadowofchaos

The bias people keep complaing about was actually more damaging to Hoshido in the long run though. They left us with bare bone structure and only a small number of hints at complexity if you really dig into the supports. Hoshido was their standard for their predominately Japanese audience. They didn't have to make it more complex, because their target audience already identified with them by default. Now Nohr actually has interesting backstory much closer to surface level. They get a lot more complexity and world-building (by comparison), and the game arguably tries more to endear their cast members (apart from the clown villain brigade) even in Birthright (Nohrfam has more focus in Birthright than the Broshidos in Conquest.. and maybe even Birthright itself).

They're also probably trying to make up for Conquest in narrative via outside sources.

As much as people moan about the "bias" of Hoshido, Nohr was actually better served in the long run. So no, they really do not need the merchandise focus to "make up" for anything.

Edited by Nanima²

The bias people keep complaing about was actually more damaging to Hoshido in the long run though. They left us with bare bone structure and only a small number of hints at complexity if you really dig into the supports. Hoshido was their standard for their predominately Japanese audience. They didn't have to make it more complex, because their target audience already identified with them by default. Now Nohr actually has interesting backstory much closer to surface level. They get a lot more complexity and world-building (by comparison), and the game arguably tries more to endear their cast members (apart from the clown villain brigade) even in Birthright (Nohrfam has more focus in Birthright than the Broshidos in Conquest.. and maybe even Birthright itself).

As much as people moan about the "bias" of Hoshido, Nohr was actually better served in the long run. So no, they really do not need the merchandise focus to "make up" for anything.

I don't disagree with this; I was just pointing out what the actual game did.

And that last part should be directed at SoC, if anybody; nowhere did I say that they needed to "make up" for anything.

I don't disagree with this; I was just pointing out what the actual game did.

And that last part should be directed at SoC, if anybody; nowhere did I say that they needed to "make up" for anything.

It was directed at them, which I thought was apparent, but I have fixed it now.

I wonder what the hell is "Nibelung". Hmm...

Btw the linked article made a mistake saying that it will debut on the February issue, which has already been released this month. The FE if manga will actually make its debut on the March issue, which releases on January 28th.

http://www.ichijinsha.co.jp/zerosum/

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/215083

Edited by Ryo

...and it's Leo-focused.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/29/fire-emblem-fates-manga-suspended-getting-another-one-based-leo-next-month/

IS really takes those popularity polls seriously. Obviously, no word on translation, but I'm sure if it's any good (and even if it's not) someone out there on the internets will try to do a scanlation.

They're also probably trying to make up for Conquest in narrative via outside sources.

My initial reaction was something similar. We know they center DLC and even merchandise around those poll results, and since Leo is consistently viewed in a positive light, it would make sense for them to write a story with him as the protagonist. I'm not sure if it'll be a retelling of Conquest, but if it will be, then I think shadowofchaos is definitely right on the money.

Of course, the title makes it sound more like it'll focus on what happens after Birthright, what with the talk of crowns and all.

I'm very curious about these "various circumstances" that cancelled the other Fates manga though. If it were simple time constraints, wouldn't they have said as much?

Edited by Thane

So is this true? Since the news was posted in animenews on Holy Innocense day, and that some peoples like to do pranks in that day, I had doubts about it. And this will be posted on a magazine? Mmm, I can't buy it in that format, that's bad, hope is really good and receive a book release later.

Somehow this is funny, since some people talk about how IS already moved from Fates but there is still some new merchandising... Maybe the idea of new DLC isn't that crazy? I still want to believe... Anyway, I hope is good, I hope it doesn't ruin the character and I hope it doesn't have more "everyone is into Corrin" stuffs

Damn the story is so bad even the manga got axed. Have every other FE manga ever been finished, though? I think one of the FE4 mangas also got axed, didn't it?

Chances are there are far more things going on than just the story being bad; writing manga is hard work. However, I'd be surprised if the reception of the story didn't play at least some part in the decision to suspend it.

I wonder what the hell is "Nibelung". Hmm...

Nibelung was the name given to the lineage of the Burgundian tribe of Vandal/East Germanic tribe in Norse mythology. They're pretty important in Norse mythology because they're the focus of some tales of Sigurd/Siegfried, particularly in that they're the homeland of his wife Gudrun/Kriemhild and where he earned the legendary treasure by slaying the dragon Fafnir. The name can also apply to the hoard of treasure the Burgundians supposedly possessed, and in some cases is also the name of a dwarf who owned the treasure in alternate accounts.

I hope there's Odin angst

I hope Odin gets his old personality back so he isn't his gimmick 100% of the time anymore.

Somehow this is funny, since some people talk about how IS already moved from Fates but there is still some new merchandising... Maybe the idea of new DLC isn't that crazy? I still want to believe...

They're continuing to make merchandise because Fates' merchandise will probably prove more profitable in the long run than the game itself. It probably doesn't mean there will be more DLC, unfortunately.

Of course, the title makes it sound more like it'll focus on what happens after Birthright, what with the talk of crowns and all.

I assume either that with Nibelung being some epithet Leon will get or it will be about him trying to find a crown( or treasure with the crown being a key to it) belonging to an ancient Nohrian king named Nibelung. The latter requires IS to do actual worldbuliding so that's a bust.

Chances are there are far more things going on than just the story being bad; writing manga is hard work. However, I'd be surprised if the reception of the story didn't play at least some part in the decision to suspend it.

Yeah, I'm really beginning to think the negative reaction to the story is part of it. I mean, sure, creating a manga is a lot of work, but you'd think they'd still go with it with Fates' sales success.

Granted, I'm actually hoping that the reaction to the story is what caused it, because in that case, perhaps Intelligent Systems will take greater care in the next game.

Yeah, I'm really beginning to think the negative reaction to the story is part of it. I mean, sure, creating a manga is a lot of work, but you'd think they'd still go with it with Fates' sales success.

Granted, I'm actually hoping that the reaction to the story is what caused it, because in that case, perhaps Intelligent Systems will take greater care in the next game.

I think Intelligent Systems realize that Fates sold well in spite of the story, not because of it. Writing a manga, which takes a lot of time and resources, only to expand upon the part that very few people enjoyed, would most likely not yield a very large payoff.