Need 2 Decks to Teach/Learn the Game. Any Suggestions?

dynstykrnboi

Hi!

I am also new to this forum, and I'm interested in playing the game. I was thinking about getting 2 starter decks (As much as I like the constructed decks, they do get very pricey) so that I can not only learn the game myself but also introduce the game to friends. So my main question is what 2 decks do you recommend? I have a bias for Elibe (purple) so I was thinking of getting that one plus 1 other deck. I also know that powercreep is a thing in card games, which is why I was wondering if one starter deck would vastly outclass another. The more balanced, the better. Thanks!

To be completely honest to you, I'm going to say that the starter trial decks are not ass, but SUPAH ASS. Filled with 10-Support, have horrible ratios, but I suppose they do have Starter-Exclusive cards.

... of which I can only think of the cost-4 Lord cards, because guess what, turn 3 promotions are a big thing. I'll say Hoshido, Falchion, and TMS. TMS teaches the importance of mixing different factions, as you now have access to another pool of good cards.

I took a look at the deck lists, and I agree with you that they are pretty bad. I suppose I should construct my own budget decks with better support/ratios. How bad has the powercreep been from the first to the last sets? In other words, do the older colors like red and blue get consistently stomped by the later colors? If I build budget and don't get expensive stuff like Nino, does that help with evening out the power levels?

If your goal is to learn how to play the game, then it doesn't make sense to spend a large pile of money on what's essentially a tutorial deck. What I'd do is figure out what card ratio you want, find a boss card that you like (which won't break your wallet), and build a deck of commons around that.

It's been a long time since I've actively followed this game, but I'm active in a very similar game (Vanguard). That one gimmicky POS deck aside (those who play the game will know what I'm talking about), building a deck of commons/regular rares is fairly cheap. I'd imagine Cipher would be in a similar position, given the nature of the game.

Edited by eggclipse

The starter decks are a fine way to get into learning the game itself, but don't teach you anything meta relevant.

If the goal is to just learn / teach the game, starter decks are fine.

Just know that actual decks are well constructed and better for obvious reasons, and as long as you achieve your goal, that's it.

If you wanna go into meta, then you buy singles / packs for meta.

I suppose that's it.

I think meta decks are a pretty good way of teaching the game. For example, I used to play Yugioh competitively and I always preferred using constructed decks to teach people because they have a certain strategy and makes it more fun. That's why I'm considering constructing something with almost all commons so that it doesn't hit my wallet as hard as a full-blown meta deck would.

Also, no one really answered my question about FE0's power creep yet..

I think meta decks are a pretty good way of teaching the game. For example, I used to play Yugioh competitively and I always preferred using constructed decks to teach people because they have a certain strategy and makes it more fun. That's why I'm considering constructing something with almost all commons so that it doesn't hit my wallet as hard as a full-blown meta deck would.

Well...

CfRiaHMUIAEsZtm.jpg

There you go. It costs like two Red (Series 1 - the Marth one) structure decks and it's mostly Normals and High Normals.

Doesn't have to be built exactly like that either.

Also, no one really answered my question about FE0's power creep yet..

Yes, power creep is a thing for sure. Some structure decks will be better than others. It mostly comes down to which Lord from which structure deck has the best effect. It's probably... Marth. Or Male Corrin.

The latest structure decks Yellow (and Purple) are mediocre, but this is just structure decks we're talking about.

Power Creep in the actual game comes naturally as they need to constantly make new things to spice it up.

Thanks so much for your help! I think I'll just print proxies for the decks that I want to use and sleeve them over other standard-size trading cards. I doubt that there's even a community where I live, and there's still no guarantee that this game will be released overseas.