Izarck's Quest (Update! Part 1 complete!)

Yang Kai(Yangfly)

XT7Mv1k.png

I started this hack around the start of december, since I don't have much time on PC, the progress is kinda slow.

About my last hack, the Dark Emblem, I accidentally courrupted the files and since the hack was kinda lmae and messed, I decided to start a new one.(No random-generated maps this time, I swear)

Story: In the Melgen continent, there are two very powerfull countries, they're Arcadia and Petos, Arcadia suddenlly started to invade other countries, even though king Arcadio and King Petos are on good terms with each other, so wat's the reason that made king Arcadio suddenlly attack it's neighbors?

Follow the story of Izarck, as he makes his path from a simple squire to a famous Hero.

Features: No bandit chapters!

New items.

New icons for new items.

Some new classes.

7 chapters as of now(counting the prologue and chapter 4x)

Some new music.

New mugs.

New events.

New maps.

Deep plot(Not much at the start I admit, but what FE game starts with a good reason to fight?)

New custom battle animations.

All chapters have hidden items and secrets.(Except for the prologue, don't bother searching)

Some screenshots:

Olds:

IXRWrqL.png0nkigDo.pngtNW9gQU.png

5AqVW1x.pngP4bK7zM.pngNc1AHuj.png

EBEyYa5.png66bs2YU.pngmn0EUAZ.png

OfrrfNE.pngcE0Zo6g.pngKR9DnEZ.png

6IWKRgr.pngwuCVHKz.pngQVFacBW.png

Recent:

rbo937G.pngaCNCz05.pngPgdlnid.png3eUf7be.png1pjR2Df.pngGnUXuqH.pngNTWMJEb.pngRmc8b6Z.pngFPexNvU.pngQvu7SMm.pngWqpcdx0.png34MU8u3.pngFeIzORL.pngcwoGhni.pngGi6FJx7.pngaI0J7H3.pngdOHi8tH.png51Jg8Ss.png

tisMmnH.pngvD2ctmM.png3DjDI8E.pngNu6Cbfm.pngSrLUFB9.png

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ba417u1z9azcuza/Izarck%27s+Quest.rar

Update notes:

Prologue redone(entirelly)

Chapter 1-4 text changed a little.

Chapter 6-10 created.

Chapter 11 preview also added.

Sleep sword now applies sleep effect.(Thanks to Cam's ASM)

Some mugs, that previously were only recolors, were swapped to splices.

Known issues and gliches:

Lamp sword use effect works properly but it crashes the game if used right after resuming a chapter. Make sure to always savestate before using it's use effect.

By grammar isn't the best, if someone could help with it would be of great help.

The same can be said about my mugs.

Credits:

Eventer:

Yang Kai
Mapper:
Yang Kai
GraphicsCredits:
Mugs:
Yang Kai
NickT
Gradivus0
Knight Resource
Battle Animations:
Yang Kai(Izarck Squire, Leticia, Succubus)
Mage Knight404(Alternate Fighter)
The Blind Archer(Armored Brigand)
Michaiah (BladeMaster)
Marshall Sage (Spud)
Female Soldier (Dr0zz)
Female Monk (Teraspark)
HoodLess Shaman (Temp)
IDK:
Female Civillian
Emperor
TrueBlade
Map Sprites:
Yang Kai(Squire, Armored Brigand)
Female Monk (Teraspark)
IDK:
TrueBlade
Emperor
Axe Cavalier
Class Cards:
Yang Kai(Female Nomad)
IDK(All other female cards)
Songs:
All ripped from ROMs using Zahlman Song Editor,
with Sappy being used to find the Header and
GBA2midi when the ROM wasn't compatible with Sappy.
Tutorials:
Ultimate Tutorial by Blazer.
Arch Event tutorial.
Blazer Tutorial on adding new items.
Programs:
HxD Hex Editor
Event Assembler
Nightmare by lots of people
FEditor by Xeld and Hextator
GBAGE
MAR array inserter
FE Map
FE Recolor
BS Palette assembler
Sappy
Zahlman Song Editor
Usenti
GM8.1 Sprite Editor
GBA2Midi
NUPS

Edited by Yang Kai(Yangfly)

Is Liriana supposed to use the Physic staff on full health units over injured ones? Also, she loves to spam the staff when nobody is injured. (Chapter 2)

If the healer is an NPC, the staff AI is pretty buggy for whatever reason.

The one chapter that was pretty interesting was the fog of war chapter, I like the part where you have to go and make the fog itself, but if there's one thing that's bugging me is that the enemies deal a huge amount of damage and your units are super squishy, I wasn't able to get through the hack because of that.

What is really annoying me, but I like because it elevates the difficulty of the game is the fact that the myrmidons are so strong and you don't have a lance user, i've had to keep relying on magic and bows to get through them. I'm really liking the challenge offered by the hack.

Haven't finished playing so I don't have all my thoughts together on it but some stuff that stuck out to me (as of writing this I'm starting ch3):

Player units not named Izarck seem to suffer from poor hit rates, the myrmidons with their 14/15 speed are near impossible for most of your units to hit (they also shouldn't be that fast at level 1), the chapters so far have been easy, the enemies were never really a threat, a number of the mugs need fixing, the plot is... boring, I tried reading through it but nothing really gripped me, so I ended up skipping the text entirely. There were also a large number of spelling/grammar mistakes so I suggest finding someone to proofread/edit your writing, since a fresh set of eyes catches more mistakes than your own can.

The maps themselves felt kinda boring and definitely need some touching up from a mapping standpoint. There were many times where I was spending turns moving units toward enemies because none were near me.

Deep plot(Not much at the start I admit, but what FE game starts with a good reason to fight?)

I'd argue that this is false, there's always some kind of good reason to fight. Grado invading Renais, Bern invading Lycia, Darin trying to take over Lycia, etc.

I also didn't bother with any of the hidden stuff, mostly because it felt like too much effort.

To be honest, no hack (to my knowledge anyway) has ever just started out and been good. We all start with something lackluster, but over time we refine it into something that's league better than what we started out with.

It's a good start, and the fact that you have something puts you above all the concept posts with nothing but words in them, but you need to fix some issues before it can be considered a good hack.

Edited by InvdrZim13

The one chapter that was pretty interesting was the fog of war chapter, I like the part where you have to go and make the fog itself, but if there's one thing that's bugging me is that the enemies deal a huge amount of damage and your units are super squishy, I wasn't able to get through the hack because of that.

Chapter 4 is really hard I admit, I'll nerf it on the next patch. (The archers and the Cavaliers are supposed to hit hard because they're supposed to kill your thief)

What is really annoying me, but I like because it elevates the difficulty of the game is the fact that the myrmidons are so strong and you don't have a lance user, i've had to keep relying on magic and bows to get through them. I'm really liking the challenge offered by the hack.

Myrmidons are strong, but to compensate, most of them just use the Guard AI.

Haven't finished playing so I don't have all my thoughts together on it but some stuff that stuck out to me (as of writing this I'm starting ch3):

Player units not named Izarck seem to suffer from poor hit rates, the myrmidons with their 14/15 speed are near impossible for most of your units to hit (they also shouldn't be that fast at level 1), the chapters so far have been easy, the enemies were never really a threat, a number of the mugs need fixing, the plot is... boring, I tried reading through it but nothing really gripped me, so I ended up skipping the text entirely. There were also a large number of spelling/grammar mistakes so I suggest finding someone to proofread/edit your writing, since a fresh set of eyes catches more mistakes than your own can.

The maps themselves felt kinda boring and definitely need some touching up from a mapping standpoint. There were many times where I was spending turns moving units toward enemies because none were near me.

I'd argue that this is false, there's always some kind of good reason to fight. Grado invading Renais, Bern invading Lycia, Darin trying to take over Lycia, etc.

I also didn't bother with any of the hidden stuff, mostly because it felt like too much effort.

To be honest, no hack (to my knowledge anyway) has ever just started out and been good. We all start with something lackluster, but over time we refine it into something that's league better than what we started out with.

It's a good start, and the fact that you have something puts you above all the concept posts with nothing but words in them, but you need to fix some issues before it can be considered a good hack.

Thanks for your critique. :)

"Player units not named Izarck seem to suffer from poor hit rates"

I guess being the only sword user as of chapter 3 is the reason for that...

I'll consider increasing the others Luck stat or the Skill.

the myrmidons with their 14/15 speed are near impossible for most of your units to hit (they also shouldn't be that fast at level 1),

Nerf coming.

the chapters so far have been easy, the enemies were never really a threat

Just like Lyn's mode, Izarck's mode is supposed to start a little easy, but the real chalenge waits you at chapter 4.

a number of the mugs need fixing, the plot is... boring, I tried reading through it but nothing really gripped me, so I ended up skipping the text entirely. There were also a large number of spelling/grammar mistakes so I suggest finding someone to proofread/edit your writing, since a fresh set of eyes catches more mistakes than your own can.

All of the mugs are just splices, save the one I borrowed from NIckT's collection(Lirianna, King Arcadio, etc)

Yes, the texts from the prologue to chapter 2 all really need to be changed, (I'm actually planning to redo the Prologue, I admit it's plain stupid actually.)

About grammar issues, I try my best, I'm not american native, my english is okay, not perfect, it's understandable at least.

Maps... I really need to either redo some of them, or change unit placements.

I guess I'll need to redo my sentence, what I meant was that the plot at the start are mostly generic(king X invaded the protagonist country, bandits attacking the town, etc) and my hack starts the same.

Just look for a suspicious tile or location.

List of secrets:

Chapter 1:

Elixir at the botton right forest tile

2:

Door Key at the upper left tile close to the wall.

3:

Lamp sword at the forest tile on the mountains.

4:

Hand axe where the Mercenaries load at the top.

4x:

Berserker Sword behind the wall where Liriana and Eldigan are

5:

Elixir near the Ger.

Thank you very much for taking your time to play this and even bothering to critique it.

Thank you to everyone who bothered to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to Izarck's Quest!

Update notes:

Prologue redone(entirelly)

Chapter 1-4 text changed a little.

Chapter 6-10 created.

Chapter 11 preview also added.

Sleep sword now applies sleep effect.(Thanks to Cam's ASM)

Some mugs, that previously were only recolors, were swapped to splices.

And screenshots of chapter 10:

tisMmnH.pngvD2ctmM.png3DjDI8E.pngNu6Cbfm.png

This one is chapter 11:

SrLUFB9.png

New link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ba417u1z9azcuza/Izarck%27s+Quest.rar

As of a side note, I'm looking for someone to help me with typos fixing.

I'll of course credit you for your hard work if you do accept.

I haven't played a whole lot of the new version, but I've gotten to ch4 and I've got to say I really don't like this one.

The premise is fine but the loldier squad to the southwest with the one playable gets decimated by the mercs/myrms that are there since most of them are a lot better and have reaver weapons, meaning the greens barely do anything and the blue soldier doesn't last too long either. I also keep running into the problem of my thief getting killed, but I need to play it more before I can give a better response to it.

20 hours ago, InvdrZim13 said:

I haven't played a whole lot of the new version, but I've gotten to ch4 and I've got to say I really don't like this one.

The premise is fine but the loldier squad to the southwest with the one playable gets decimated by the mercs/myrms that are there since most of them are a lot better and have reaver weapons, meaning the greens barely do anything and the blue soldier doesn't last too long either. I also keep running into the problem of my thief getting killed, but I need to play it more before I can give a better response to it.

The general strategy about chapter 4 is to get your greenies get killed before you and then use your door key to release Izarck, Marshall and Katy. With the four of them you can go and rescue the others or go right inoto the boss.

Freitas respawn around turn 15 near Lya, Rafael, Leticia and Emilly's cell, there is two shamans there, each guarding a door. They've the Guard AI, so they won't move, but the archer on the pillar will move, so deal with him first.( The dagger is effective against archers) Other thing you can do is let the enemy thief(spawns one turn after your's) open the doors for you.

What can be done to get this chapter WAY easier?

Getting the Door Key at chapter 2 and the Lamp Sword at chapter 3.

2:

3:

Lamp sword at the forest tile on the mountains.

@Bob of tha A

Thank you.

Off: What's with the spoilers?

20 hours ago, Yang Kai(Yangfly) said:

What can be done to get this chapter WAY easier?

Getting the Door Key at chapter 2 and the Lamp Sword at chapter 3.

2:

3:

Lamp sword at the forest tile on the mountains

I disagree with this because it shouldn't be a requirement to get the hidden items to make a chapter less painful. Most of my issue with the map is the fact that the chump squad gets shredded by those enemies and barely does anything to them since they have a mix of reaver and normal weapons. I can't get to Izarck's group because the blue soldier always gets destroyed by those enemies since I can't safely leave either on them equipped because of the mix of weapons and the fact that the enemies are stronger than that unit.

Gonna go ahead and play through this after I finish TGA v1.1 and the pre release patch for BoN. Seems like an interesting hack, and I'm excited to be playing it to be completely honest :D

• 2 years later...