Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Ever thought about randomising chest contents as well?

I've considered it. The tools are in place to do it, so I'll probably try and add in an option for chest randomization at some point.

I don't know what i am doing wrong i have the correct folders and such and the randomizer app wouldn't react i tried moving the gamedata.bin file out the game data folder and tried it when it was in.This is basically what i have 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Robin the rightful god

18 minutes ago, Robin the rightful god said:

I don't know what i am doing wrong i have the correct folders and such and the randomizer app wouldn't react i tried moving the gamedata.bin file out the game data folder and tried it when it was in.This is basically what i have 

Capture.JPG

The dispos and person folders go inside of the GameData folder. Everything else looks fine.

33 minutes ago, Yvectal said:

I'm confused at where I am for opening the randomizer, is this loading or can't find the gamedata.bin?

f.png

The randomizer cannot find the file. The given path is where it expected to find it.

25 minutes ago, FuzzyFighter669 said:

Is there any reason as to why Fates (digital) isn't showing up in braindump for me?

58b37bc43e922_Braindumpbullshit.PNG.1d45c104bba877f5dab1cd472730a622.PNG

Homebrew programs can be pretty finicky when it comes to Fire Emblem Fates, so it might just be something along those lines. I haven't run into an issue like that, so I don't really have anything to help you there. You could try asking in the Q&A thread on /r/3dshacks, someone there might know more about getting Braindump to work.

I've come up with another issue - I randomized everything just fine, started a new game, and everything appeared to be working. However, I chose the Revelations line, and then things started to go awry - up until Chapter 7, all the characters were randomized, and appeared as such. But during Chapter 7, I recruited Gunter, who, according to the output file, was switched with Ryoma, and shouldn't be recruitable until Chapter 16. He was still completely randomized, though, so I let it slide. After the chapter, I recruited Azura, who replaced Anna and shouldn't be available at all, but again she was still randomized. Then, after Chapter 8, I recruited Sakura, Kaze, Hana, and Subaki, who weren't randomized at all, and were recruited as usual as per vanilla Revelations.

The only problem I can think of is that I dumped the game files from the Special Edition version, but I'm playing using my digital copy of Birthright with the other two routes as DLC. I set the randomizer to randomize for all routes, and I'm using the Birthright files from the Gay Patch, I merely put in the randomized special edition files instead of Birthright files. Everything else should be in order to the best of my knowledge. Is this the problem, or is there something else causing it? Thanks for the help.

Edited by roguemischief

First of all, thank you so much for making this thing! I'm already having a blast laughing at all the crazy outcomes and out-of-place and also slightly fitting voice-overs.

Second of all, I have a bug report!

The game crashed at chapter 4 in transition to the scene where you find Sakura and Hinoka in trouble.

Here are my randomizer output results: http://pastebin.com/W1PuJG28. I checked "All Paths", checked all items under "Options" ("Passes" is set to 1), checked all items under "Optional Characters", and checked "Change All Appearances."

I fixed the issue by replacing the file (GameData/dispos/A004.bin.lz) with the original as advised by the troubleshooting instructions.

Off-topic: how do I space without double spacing on this forum?

Edited by Giga Man

21 hours ago, roguemischief said:

I've come up with another issue - I randomized everything just fine, started a new game, and everything appeared to be working. However, I chose the Revelations line, and then things started to go awry - up until Chapter 7, all the characters were randomized, and appeared as such. But during Chapter 7, I recruited Gunter, who, according to the output file, was switched with Ryoma, and shouldn't be recruitable until Chapter 16. He was still completely randomized, though, so I let it slide. After the chapter, I recruited Azura, who replaced Anna and shouldn't be available at all, but again she was still randomized. Then, after Chapter 8, I recruited Sakura, Kaze, Hana, and Subaki, who weren't randomized at all, and were recruited as usual as per vanilla Revelations.

The only problem I can think of is that I dumped the game files from the Special Edition version, but I'm playing using my digital copy of Birthright with the other two routes as DLC. I set the randomizer to randomize for all routes, and I'm using the Birthright files from the Gay Patch, I merely put in the randomized special edition files instead of Birthright files. Everything else should be in order to the best of my knowledge. Is this the problem, or is there something else causing it? Thanks for the help.

You need to run the special edition version for the changes to show up - since Revelation is DLC in the Birthright version, the game won't load the modified map files from the ROM. However, the game still uses the GameData.bin file from the base game. That's why the characters' classes were randomized while the join order was not.

3 hours ago, Robin the rightful god said:

snip

If romfs builder gave you a valid romfs file, you should be good to go. It looks like you have it in the right place on the SD card, so you can run the hack by going to homebrew on your 3DS and running Fire Emblem Fates through HANS. Select your romfs inside HANS' menu, and you're done.

1 hour ago, DoobyScoo_ said:

What do you do if the RomFSBuilder keeps crashing

You could try an alternative program for rebuilding your romfs, like ctrtool. Keep in mind that most of the other programs available for rebuilding romfs files are command line based.

5 minutes ago, Giga Man said:

First of all, thank you so much for making this thing! I'm already having a blast laughing at all the crazy outcomes and out-of-place and also slightly fitting voice-overs.

Second of all, I have a bug report!

The game crashed at chapter 4 in transition to the scene where you find Sakura and Hinoka in trouble.

Here are my randomizer output results: http://pastebin.com/W1PuJG28. I checked "All Paths", checked all items under "Options" ("Passes" is set to 1), checked all items under "Optional Characters", and checked "Change All Appearances."

I fixed the issue by replacing the file (GameData/dispos/A004.bin.lz) with the original as advised by the troubleshooting instructions.

Off-topic: how do I space without double spacing on this forum?

The crash on chapter 4 is known. I'm still looking into the exact cause of the crash, so there's not much to do about it for now. I'm glad that you're enjoying the randomizer!

You probably already known all of this, but I feel it would be responsible for me to describe a couple of things I've noticed that really stood out to me (and made things slightly harder). I'm assuming it was due to my checking of "change all appearances" that caused this, but after I fixed the chapter 4 issue, my Rinkah and Kaze replacements, Azura and Keaton respectively, were reverted back to Rinkah and Kaze in their randomized classes. This also made Rinkah unusable because she was a Dark Mage with a Brass Club. I was lucky enough that Kaze was a Butler. All three of the Hoshidan siblings in the chapter remained as their randomized characters and classes, but had weapons they couldn't use, such as Wolfssegner Hayato holding the Raijinto. So, I figured that was to be expected and everything would work out later.

Things kinda went back to normal, but not exactly. To my surprise, Kaze and Rinkah were nowhere to be found in chapter 5. They just did not appear. Only Flora (Sakura) and Anna (Azura) appeared along with Hayato (Ryoma). They thankfully came with weapons they could use, but I was missing two units. Kaze and Rinkah were missing in chapter 6 - Birthright as well. Additionally, all the Nohrian siblings returned to normal along with their original classes, which I guess was expected, but still used their randomized characters' portraits for cutscenes. Takumi, who was Leo, reverted back to himself and Hinoka, who was Reina, reverted back to herself, both with their original classes. Everyone else remained as their randomized characters and classes, including Ryoma as Wolfssegner Hayato. So, that was a challenge, and no one died, miraculously.

After all that, the game decided to make Felicia (who was a Wolfskin and was meant to replace Elise) appear in the following cutscene instead of her replacement (who was Selena as a General), but after that, everyone I'm supposed to have at the start of Birthright, including their replacements, was in my party. Rinkah and Kaze returned... but not their replacements. I never got Azura and Keaton back. I also realized that randomizing "all paths" was probably not a good idea because when I looked at supports, Flora and Selena were not selectable, leaving me to believe that because this is Birthright now, you can't recruit Flora and Selena, which means you can't support them either.

So, that concludes my experience so far. I know I'm extremely late to the party, but have you considered dealing with all or most of this already? Things such as the enemy units reverting back to their original characters. Are you working to make it so that even the enemies will stay randomized? For example, Crown Prince Shura vs. Crown Prince Hayato can actually be possible in chapter 6? Could the support conversations actually match the characters being replaced and not the replacement characters? For example, I support with Selena, but I'm actually talking to Felicia, which would solve the unavailable support issue, assuming that even works. Alternatively, is it possible to just force the game to make a support with Selena selectable in a Birthright? Again, I'm sure you've considered all of this, but I thought it'd be worthwhile to share my thoughts. Thank you so much for making this, and I hope this becomes something truly remarkable one day. :D

11 hours ago, Giga Man said:

So, that concludes my experience so far. I know I'm extremely late to the party, but have you considered dealing with all or most of this already? Things such as the enemy units reverting back to their original characters. Are you working to make it so that even the enemies will stay randomized? For example, Crown Prince Shura vs. Crown Prince Hayato can actually be possible in chapter 6? Could the support conversations actually match the characters being replaced and not the replacement characters? For example, I support with Selena, but I'm actually talking to Felicia, which would solve the unavailable support issue, assuming that even works. Alternatively, is it possible to just force the game to make a support with Selena selectable in a Birthright? Again, I'm sure you've considered all of this, but I thought it'd be worthwhile to share my thoughts. Thank you so much for making this, and I hope this becomes something truly remarkable one day. :D

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the majority of the randomizer from scratch in an effort to fix a lot of the issues you mentioned. At the very least, I'd like to get rid of some of the crashes in the intro and get rid of the incorrect weapon bug. I'm also looking into the issue with characters reverting back to their original state, so there should be some progress on that front with the next version.

Making supports available across routes is actually pretty easy. I could implement an option to enable supports across all routes in the randomizer very easily. Alternatively, the Same-Sex patch does this while also expanding supports for everyone, including the amiibo characters. I'd like to get the patch to play well with this hack in the next version since that combination's probably the best to ensure that everyone gets supports.

I have a theory about swapping supports between characters, but its completely untested. Once I have the remake in a better state, I'll go back and test it out to see if swapping supports between characters will work. If it does, I'll go ahead and include it as an option.

8 hours ago, Robin the rightful god said:

Do I need to get a newer version of HANS? Because i access HANS and it freeze when i hit ok at the bottom screen it would say region FF language FF ballin prepared to run loader that is where it freeze.

Honestly, I can't help much when it comes to troubleshooting HANS. It's extremely finicky when it comes to Fates. I'd recommend asking in the Q&A thread on /r/3dshacks, as your more likely to find a fix there.  

3 hours ago, FuzzyFighter669 said:

sav.PNG.3075c80874d20cb3c3f874b9607b6d46.PNG what patch folder?
I'm new to this stuff so sorry if I sound stupid.

If you're using the NTR version you need to create a folder called Birthright/Conquest/fefatesSE (depending on what version of the base game you have) at the root of your SD card and copy your files in there. 

So, I'm playing Revelation now, and everything from the Prologue onward was running perfectly until Mozu's paralogue. Her replacement was Selena, and just like with Chapter 4 in my last randomization, the game crashed when loading the map. Also, just like before, the only way to fix it was to replace the Dispos file, which meant that I wouldn't get Selena and would instead get Mozu. That's really awkward considering the next chapter, Chapter 8, has you fight against Yukimura, Saizo, and Orochi, and, you guessed it, Mozu replaced Orochi, which tells me that if I continue, I'm gonna have two Mozus in my party and no Selena. Is there no work-around for this? Was this already known? I've been eyeing the FEFTwiddler Save Editor thinking I can replace characters with other characters, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I could need a little help. I`ve randomized everything and can start the game with hans but as soon as I start a new game the game freezes. I`ve tried different settings for the new game and I tried to start from a branch but it will always get the same result.

Thanks for the randomizer! it's so much fun! However I have a problem that every chapter related to the amiibo characters seems to just freeze the game. eg. I have Lucina replacing Rinka so C2 won't load. I have to start the game by "branch of fates". All hero battles freeze the game as well. So I'm a little bit nervous on making more progress on this save now. Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.

Okay, wow! With enough determination, I figured out a solution to my problem!

So, as I previously stated, Mozu's paralogue would crash the game when loading the battle preparations. My hunch was that it had something to do with NPCs. In this randomized rom, Selena, in place of Mozu, was having the issue. I didn't test it in my first randomized rom that crashed on Chapter 4, but it might be safe to assume there was issue with the NPCs. What appears to happen when you replace the dispos file is that it returns NPCs or newly recruited characters back into their original selves with their original items. In my current rom hack, Selena reverted back to Mozu. In my old rom hack, Azura and Keaton reverted back to Rinkah and Kaze respectively; however, Hayato (Ryoma), Reina (Hinoka), and Flora (Sakura) remained randomized but had their items changed back to their default (Hayato holding Raijinto, etc.), which made them sitting ducks because of the classes they were in. That occurrence in that rom hack was probably due to the "change all appearances" setting, though. I checked that off for my current rom hack so I wouldn't run into that issue again. Turns out, that wasn't the main problem.

Obviously, the NPCs were the problem, but what about them was the issue? Was it the class? No. The skills? Nah. It was their inventory. It turns out all it took to fix the crash was to supply them with their original items. In the case of Mozu's Paralogue, Mozu is supposed to hold a Brass Naginata and a Vulnerary, but Selena, her replacement, spawns with an Iron Shuriken instead (as she should). How do I know this? I downloaded the FE14 Dispos Tools (found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fe14-dispos-tools.455805/) and examined a .txt version of the dispos file. I examined the randomized version and the original version to spot any differences that may have had an effect on the crashes. You can view them here (randomized: http://pastebin.com/cWDxaTHE, original: http://pastebin.com/BYthJJiL) Turns out, the only thing that mattered was Selena's inventory. So, all I needed to do to make her work was add "BrassNaginata" to her inventory, and no more crashes.

Replacing the Script and Script/bev files was not necessary. In fact, they shouldn't be replaced at all because when I did, my avatar couldn't talk to Selena, and after finishing the map, she was assumed dead. Keep the original hacked files and you can recruit her as intended. I am now on Chapter 8 and Ninja Selena is in my party. :)

TL;DR: I edited the dispos file with FE14 Dispos Tools and added a BrassNaginata to Ninja Selena's inventory, and now Paralogue 1 doesn't crash.

My game was randomized with the latest version of the randomizer, and I wasn't using any of the experimental features, but I ran into the crash on Birthright Chapter 11 when Reina's replacement comes in. I went through the troubleshooting and got my game to work, but just thought it would be good form to inform you the issue happened.