Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I'm not sure if this thread is still monitored but I'm having an odd issue getting the randomizer to work. I've followed the instructions without issue up to step 7 of the installation process at which point I've hit a snag. When I select my storage folder (FE) it gives me the following message: C:\Users\ITNODove\Desktop\FE\m\@E\Join.txt

I'm a bit confused about what this means exactly as m\@\E\Join.txt is not a file mentioned at any point in the instructions. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can fix this issue?

Hello all, I saw a bunch of people asking if this could be done on citra and I thought I want to help people, however I do not know if it is more unstable on citra than on 3ds.

so yes you can play on citra heres what you need to do:

1. have a decompressed .3ds game and the hackingtoolkit3ds V9 you can easily find them both

2. you have to use hackingtoolkit3ds to decript the file

3. follow randomizer tutorial on here

4. rebuild the file

5. play 

hope that helped some of you!  there is however a bug on promoting units that happened to me, maybe i just messed something up (the game crashed as soon as I used a master seal)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017 at 2:32 AM, thane98 said:

jRs81ea.pngDrFNhI1.pngJvxXATp.png

anYIhdN.png

Reveal hidden contents
1. Create a folder to use for storing game files. You will need to pick out a specific set of game files from the ROM so that the randomizer can modify them.
2. Create a folder called GameData inside the storage folder. From your ROM, copy GameData.bin.lz and the Dispos and Person folders from the ROM's GameData folder into the one you created.
3. Create a folder called castle inside the storage folder. From your ROM, copy castle_join.bin.lz from the castle folder into the castle folder you created.
4. Copy the m folder and Script folder from your ROM into the storage folder. Your storage folder should look like this:
Main Directory
castle
castle_join.bin.lz
GameData
dispos
person
GameData.bin.lz
m
Scripts
5. Run FEAT.exe, highlight all of the folders in the storage folder, and drag them into FEAT. The program should decompress every file in the storage folder. Check to make sure that the .bin.lz files now only have a .bin extension.
6. Make a backup of this folder so that you don't have to go through this process again.
7. Run Fates-Randomizer.jar, click "Open and Verify," and select the storage folder. You should see a new window pop up with options. If you do not, the window will show you which file was not found.
8. Select a path and options. Refer to the section above if you do not understand an option. Hit "Randomize" and let the program sit. When the program finishes, a little notification will pop up in the corner of the window.
9. Close Fates-Randomizer.jar and highlight all of the files in the storage folder. Drag them into FEAT like you did previously to recompress them. You can close FEAT it finishes compressing every file.
10. You're done! You can either merge these files in with a ROM if you're using HANS (back up the ROM if you're doing this just in case) or place the files in your patch folder if you're using NTR. Enjoy your randomized adventure!
11. As a final note, DO NOT use this on top of an existing save or branch of fate. Use a fresh save starting from the very beginning if you want a stable playthrough.

Changelog:
  Reveal hidden contents

Beta 5

• Randomizer results are now saved to an XML file. You can load this file next time you randomize to get the same results. Alternatively, you can modify the file to get the results you want from the randomizer.
  • Added an option to randomize all paths at once provided that the files for all three paths verified correctly.
  • The experimental options section is back. Options in this section are functional, but they may lead to unintended behaviors in game.
  • Added an option for changing every appearance of a character to use their new class. This option causes the AI to behave oddly in certain situations (most notably, chapter 5), so the option has been flagged as "Experimental" for now.
  • Fixed a bug which caused chapter 11 to crash if Reina's replacement was not a flying class.
  Reveal hidden contents

Beta 4-2

• Touched up the system for randomizing scripts once again. This should improve stability to some extent.
  • Added in support for randomizing the European version. No more renaming files!
  • Mozu's finally in the randomization pool.
  • A couple miscellaneous bugfixes.
  Reveal hidden contents

Beta 4

• Overhauled script, dispo, and join randomization. The new systems should completely fix issues with character who join through My Castle as well as some miscellaneous issues like the inability to trade items on chapter 4. In general, the new systems should lead to a more stable randomization system.
  • Added basic child randomization. The feature currently randomizes which child is tied to which paralogue in addition to parent/child combinations. Right now, the system doesn't completely randomize parents, as characters will only become parents if they switch places with a character who was a parent in the base game.
  • Added weapon randomization for joining characters. Under the previous system, characters always received an iron weapon usable by their randomized class. The new system instead picks from a pool of 10 random weapons usable by the new class.
  • Adjusted the GUI to include space for additional options and a progress bar during randomization.
  • Added lots of missing alternative IDs for characters. Every appearance of a character in the intro chapters and Revelation should now randomize correctly.
  • Added support for Japanese file structures during file verification.
  • Added basic support for swapping out special-case models like Leo's inside-out collar model in chapter 1. This feature is still a work in progress, but it should provide a basis for properly changing every cutscene model in the future.
  • Added variance to the "Randomize Stats" options. The old version simply took the stats of a character and moved them around (ex. a character's strength would become their magic). The new version redistributes points between stats based off of the number of passes you choose in the options.
  • Expanded the "Randomize Skills" option to randomize personal skills as well.
  • Added an option to add a new character to castle_join when swapping places with Anna. This insures that the character that takes Anna's place gets recruited somewhere since the randomizer cannot modify Anna's DLC.
  • Added an "Enable Hero Battle" option for the amiibo characters. Note, the hero battles have the amiibo characters join as "guest" characters who cannot support, so using the castle_join from the Same-Sex Expansion is recommended if you want supports for whoever switches places with the amiibo characters.
  • Fixed a bug which caused amiibo characters to only randomize when Revelation was selected as the path.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented characters using handover IDs from recruiting correctly.

Reveal hidden contents

Beta 3

• Added a section for optional characters. Currently, Anna, Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin can be randomized through this section.
  • Added randomization for reclass options.
  • Added an option to treat Jakob and Felicia as promoted units during class randomization.
  • Moved stat and skill randomization out of the "Experimental Features" section.
  • Made file verification errors more verbose to help with troubleshooting.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented Gunter's voice lines from being changed during join order randomization.
  • Fixed a bug which messed up reclass options for characters who received the "Hoshidan Noble" class.
  • Slightly improved the model swapping code. These changes should help prevent hangs or other moments where models fail to load.

Reveal hidden contents

Beta 2

• Overhauled model swapping. While the feature isn't perfect, it should be perfectly okay to use in game as it shouldn't cause any more crashes. The only issues you may encounter with it are some models failing to swap or, on very rare occasions, a hang which requires the cutscene section to be skipped.
  • Added safety checks for script/dispo editing to prevent crashing.
  • Added lots of missing character aliases.
  • Moved DLC classes into a separate option.
  • Added Gunter and Scarlet to the randomization pool for Revelation.
  • Added a quick fix for the handover files. Stat changes inside those files are not taken into account, but characters who are assigned a different ID through a handover file should recruit correctly now.
  • Fixed some issues with recruitment not working correctly for Birthright Chapter 6 and Birthright Chapter 7.

Hi thank u for ur tool. It is amazing..  I play this game file.3ds on citra emulator with my pc window...  how can I randomize with .3ds file.

Hope u will help thank you

Okay, for everyone asking about how to play on Citra, I have the answer for you, because who doesn't want their randomized Fates to run with such clean graphics? Making this extensive for those brand-new to this scene like I was when I had a ton of trial-and-error on my own.

• Make sure you can actually run Fates via Citra on your computer's hardware, with your LEGALLY OBTAINED .3ds file. That part seems painfully obvious enough. I'm not going to go into a whole "piracy is bad" spiel for the sake of keeping this somewhat brief, but just don't do it. Don't have a 3DS to homebrew? Want to keep your 3DS clean like I do? Dump your cart with a friend's 3DS, just like I did. Just please, please don't take illegal means to get the file.
    • Making sure the game can run seems like an obvious step, but trust me, when I was an uneducated pleb on this I attempted to run Fates on my toaster laptop. The game ran at like 3 FPS and as soon as I got into the first battle, my computer puked the game's graphics right back into my face and died. You'll need a moderately beefy graphics card to get the game to run, so stop now if you're attempting this with a toaster laptop.
      • If Citra isn't running your game and the title card when you open Citra is just a bunch of numbers with a black square, make sure your copy of Fates isn't in a .cia format (or at least, an encrypted .cia format. I'm unsure if that makes a difference or not). Citra expects .3ds format files. If you have a .cia file, download HackingToolkit3DS V9 and follow the instructions on that page to convert a .cia file to a .3ds file.
  • Download either HackingToolkit3DS V9 (if you haven't already; this one is less noob-friendly however) OR .Net 3DS Toolkit (has an option for a straightforward and user-friendly shell to interface with. I have V1.4.6 but I'm unsure if the version matters). I went with the .Net 3DS Toolkit method with the shell, so if you prefer the HackingToolkit3DS interface, I'm afraid you're on your own with it.
    • With .Net 3DS Toolkit, open the ToolkitForm file for the user-friendly shell. Ensure you're on the Extract tab and select your .3ds file, wherever it may be on your computer, for the target to be extracted. Select any location of your choice for the target to sent the extracted files to. the Auto-select filetype picks up on the type of file you have pretty well,  but if you're paranoid something will go wrong then select the one that specifies it's for Citra. Click Extract and sit back to wait.
  • Once your extractor has done its thing, travel to the location you sent the extracted files to. There, you should see all the files of the game. For Rando, we're going to be messing with the RomFS folder exclusively, so head in there.
  • Download the randomizer and follow its instructions to randomize your game.
  • With your randomized files, reopen the previous extractor of your choice. Again, I only have the .Net 3DS Toolkit method.
    • Navigate to the Build tab of the shell. Select the destination of your game files as the build target and whichever folder you place your Citra games in as the target destination. When naming your rebuilt game, you must make sure to add the .3ds extension after the name you enter (or maybe you don't have to. I'm a paranoid person so I do it anyway). I also suggest naming the file something easy to distinguish; your randomized file is going to show up next to your vanilla file in the game picker, so you'll only be able to tell them apart by name unless you remove the vanilla copy from the folder the rando copy is in. Again choose either Auto-select or the Citra option, then let the shell do its thing once again.
  • Congrats! You should now have a randomized version of Fates as an option within the Citra game picker. Go wild. So long as you still have your vanilla copy of the game, you can do this as many times as you wish for different randomizations on each file.

Known Bugs:

• All of the voice clips during the Live3D sections (Private Quarters Bonding with spouses or allies, Player Confession Scenes) are either higher-pitched and sped up, or all Live3D segments crash entirely. This is an error on Citra's end with Fates and cannot be fixed at the moment.
  • Class Change music is either higher-pitched and sped up, thrown into a metaphorical blender and played as corrupted static or Class Changes crash the game. This is a Citra error and cannot be fixed at the moment.
Edited by Exist Without Saving?

So basically, I just need dow a  .3ds files. Use tool to extract it to some file . Then use another tool to randomize those file. After that, combine all file extracted after randomized to .3ds file. Is that correct ?

There are 3 ver Birthright, Conquest, Revelation and 2 type EU,USA. Will this randomized tool can work with all those type ?

I have core i5 . I can play this game with decent speed on PC by Citra .

Edited by Qewe

16 hours ago, Qewe said:

Hi. Im glad you ask. This is what I did. hope u take a look and help me. Very thank you..

There could be quite a few different culprits based on what you've given me, but for the most part it seems like a randomizer issue.

These are possibilities that could have happened, but are less likely to be the culprit:

• Did you recompress your randomized files using FEAT before mixing them with the rest of your files? I doubt this could be the culprit because I'm not entirely sure the game would run in general if you hadn't, but I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about that side of this thing - in some spots I'm learning right along with you, haha.
  • Again, I highly doubt this could be the reason why, but I noticed you placed your Output.txt and RandomizerSettings.xml into the folder with everything else. I don't think this effects anything too greatly, but as I said above, I'm not greatly knowledgeable about this, so maybe retry without those files in the mix?
  • I see you've deleted your original post about .Net 3DS Toolkit spitting that error at you, have you solved that on your own? If you clicked Ignore (or Continue, I don't know what the button says off the top of my head) on the error message and let it do its thing without that missing file, it might be an issue.  Assuming you got this message while rebuilding the randomized files, then I would attempt rebuilding using the 0-Key Encrypted CCI option. It says it's for Gateway, but so long as the extension of the file is still .3ds in the end, Citra will still run it. Ignore this suggestion if you managed to fix the .Net 3DS Toolkit error by yourself.

These are possibilities that seem more likely to cause the problem you've showed me:

• Have you started with a brand-new save file? The results could get all screwed-up if you start from an existing save.
  • I see you're in Chapter 5 - if this is a new save, then has this problem only started by that chapter? If so, it could just be a problem with certain chapter files not randomizing. If you had to make a fix by deleting chapter files from bev due to a crash, then this is normal.
  • . I know you said not to bother with the picture you couldn't delete, but I couldn't help but notice a couple things. First, the filepath shown just below the "Select ROM Folder" option. That filepath is showing becuase it's telling you you're missing the file in question, Join.txt. Did the randomizer let you continue on to the options page even though it showed that? If it did, then that could be part of the issue. Follow the filepath it shows you into your U folder and look for Join.txt. If it is missing in your randomized files, check for the same text document in your vanilla files. If you find it there, re-randomize and make sure it's in its proper place when you do. If you can't find it there either, then I'm not sure your .3ds file is viable for randomization. Ignore this suggestion if you fixed that error after that screenshot was taken, or if you find Join.txt in your randomized files.
  • Is your copy of Fates the Special Edition? If your cartridge dump is of Birthright or Conquest with Revelation and/or the other respective path downloaded as DLC, then randomizing Revelation or that path won't work. In this case, to randomize Revelation it has to be with the Fates Special Edition.
  • You mentioned your copy of Fates is European, and you have checked EU File Structure in the last picture, but did you ever pick a specific region? I'm unsure if this matters, as I play with a USA copy of Special Edition, but there could be a file structuring error. Then again, if you're from a region besides the four listed, it may not matter. I wouldn't know, I haven't interacted with the European file structures unfortunately.

I'd start tinkering with the second half of options, the ones more likely to be the problem first. If none of them hold the answer, then try the top half. I'm being broad because at this stage it's difficult to find the exact culprit at the moment. Just remember to make backups of all the files you're randomizing and playing with before messing with them. Let me know if you fix it, or if you don't. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 2:33 AM, Exist Without Saving? said:

Good! Sorry I've been gone, I just got back from vacation, haha. Happy randomizing!

^^ . Im searching about make kitsune class can use sword.. 

I did that before with fire emblem 6,7,8 in gba. Just simple I chose these class cant use sword like mage,cleric,archer v.v... Then I set their sword rank to C and above, then them can use sword

Im not sure how to do that with fire emblem fate

Hope u had a nice trip ^^

Edited by Qewe

On 7/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, Qewe said:

^^ . Im searching about make kitsune class can use sword.. 

I did that before with fire emblem 6,7,8 in gba. Just simple I chose these class cant use sword like mage,cleric,archer v.v... Then I set their sword rank to C and above, then them can use sword

Im not sure how to do that with fire emblem fate

Hope u had a nice trip ^^

I'm not sure how to do that either, sadly. I haven't gone too far into the hacking scene yet, and I know it's not possible in Fates without hacking. I'm sure someone else out there knows, though! Good luck in your search!

On 7/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, Exist Without Saving? said:

I'm not sure how to do that either, sadly. I haven't gone too far into the hacking scene yet, and I know it's not possible in Fates without hacking. I'm sure someone else out there knows, though! Good luck in your search!

Yes. thank you

So I have recently been trying to randomize fates and have hit a road block. I only have the option to randomize conquest since I have it on the cartridge but I have the other paths as dlc. Whenever I try dumping them with godmode9, I am never able to find the revelations path anywhere on the console or sd card. I really want to randomize revelations since it has all the characters and I went though the trouble of installing cfw to do so as well as looking up how to dump the dlc romfs on other websites. If anyone here could help me out, it would be very greatly appreciated 😄

• 5 months later...

Skills doesn't seem to be randomized without the Join Order option.

I selected Conquest, Randomize Stats, Randomize Skills, and Change Appearance. But both Gunter and Jakob keeps their personal skills and their class (randomized class) skills.

Is there a way to randomize the skills without randomzing the join order?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 10:33 PM, MrMostache said:

Skills doesn't seem to be randomized without the Join Order option.

I selected Conquest, Randomize Stats, Randomize Skills, and Change Appearance. But both Gunter and Jakob keeps their personal skills and their class (randomized class) skills.

Is there a way to randomize the skills without randomzing the join order?

yeah. I use cheat code . that all skill available. if u dont want overpowered. just use any other lower skills.done :) . 

Edited by Qewe

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, Exist Without Saving? said:

Okay, for everyone asking about how to play on Citra, I have the answer for you, because who doesn't want their randomized Fates to run with such clean graphics? Making this extensive for those brand-new to this scene like I was when I had a ton of trial-and-error on my own.

• Make sure you can actually run Fates via Citra on your computer's hardware, with your LEGALLY OBTAINED .3ds file. That part seems painfully obvious enough. I'm not going to go into a whole "piracy is bad" spiel for the sake of keeping this somewhat brief, but just don't do it. Don't have a 3DS to homebrew? Want to keep your 3DS clean like I do? Dump your cart with a friend's 3DS, just like I did. Just please, please don't take illegal means to get the file.
    • Making sure the game can run seems like an obvious step, but trust me, when I was an uneducated pleb on this I attempted to run Fates on my toaster laptop. The game ran at like 3 FPS and as soon as I got into the first battle, my computer puked the game's graphics right back into my face and died. You'll need a moderately beefy graphics card to get the game to run, so stop now if you're attempting this with a toaster laptop.
      • If Citra isn't running your game and the title card when you open Citra is just a bunch of numbers with a black square, make sure your copy of Fates isn't in a .cia format (or at least, an encrypted .cia format. I'm unsure if that makes a difference or not). Citra expects .3ds format files. If you have a .cia file, download HackingToolkit3DS V9 and follow the instructions on that page to convert a .cia file to a .3ds file.
  • Download either HackingToolkit3DS V9 (if you haven't already; this one is less noob-friendly however) OR .Net 3DS Toolkit (has an option for a straightforward and user-friendly shell to interface with. I have V1.4.6 but I'm unsure if the version matters). I went with the .Net 3DS Toolkit method with the shell, so if you prefer the HackingToolkit3DS interface, I'm afraid you're on your own with it.
    • With .Net 3DS Toolkit, open the ToolkitForm file for the user-friendly shell. Ensure you're on the Extract tab and select your .3ds file, wherever it may be on your computer, for the target to be extracted. Select any location of your choice for the target to sent the extracted files to. the Auto-select filetype picks up on the type of file you have pretty well,  but if you're paranoid something will go wrong then select the one that specifies it's for Citra. Click Extract and sit back to wait.
  • Once your extractor has done its thing, travel to the location you sent the extracted files to. There, you should see all the files of the game. For Rando, we're going to be messing with the RomFS folder exclusively, so head in there.
  • Download the randomizer and follow its instructions to randomize your game.
  • With your randomized files, reopen the previous extractor of your choice. Again, I only have the .Net 3DS Toolkit method.
    • Navigate to the Build tab of the shell. Select the destination of your game files as the build target and whichever folder you place your Citra games in as the target destination. When naming your rebuilt game, you must make sure to add the .3ds extension after the name you enter (or maybe you don't have to. I'm a paranoid person so I do it anyway). I also suggest naming the file something easy to distinguish; your randomized file is going to show up next to your vanilla file in the game picker, so you'll only be able to tell them apart by name unless you remove the vanilla copy from the folder the rando copy is in. Again choose either Auto-select or the Citra option, then let the shell do its thing once again.
  • Congrats! You should now have a randomized version of Fates as an option within the Citra game picker. Go wild. So long as you still have your vanilla copy of the game, you can do this as many times as you wish for different randomizations on each file.

Known Bugs:

• All of the voice clips during the Live3D sections (Private Quarters Bonding with spouses or allies, Player Confession Scenes) are either higher-pitched and sped up, or all Live3D segments crash entirely. This is an error on Citra's end with Fates and cannot be fixed at the moment.
  • Class Change music is either higher-pitched and sped up, thrown into a metaphorical blender and played as corrupted static or Class Changes crash the game. This is a Citra error and cannot be fixed at the moment.

I've been following your guide for how to randomize to get the game to work on citra. I'm using an EU version special edition file. I follow your directions, but when I try to utilize the randomizer itself, I open the RomSF folder in the randomizer (using the open and verify button), and it displays the file location in the randomizer screen, but besides that, it just goes back to the previous screen, as if nothing had happened. I have enable for European file structure selected, but nothing seems to get the file folder to actually progress to the screen where randomization takes place.  Any ideas as to what i may be doing wrong? I'm using the .Net 3DS toolkit to extract as you recommended. https://imgur.com/TSyTWGZ