Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, jkid101094 said:

How compatible is this with the Gay Fates hack? I was hoping to use both but then I realized that the randomizer would likely be unable to edit the new supports.

The randomizer doesn't touch supports at all - characters keep their original supports. The randomizer should be fully compatible with Gay Fates, though a couple people had issues when running both at once. If you're going to use both, just make sure to use the GameData.bin file from the Gay Fates hack when you randomize.

On 1/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, thane98 said:

The randomizer doesn't touch supports at all - characters keep their original supports. The randomizer should be fully compatible with Gay Fates, though a couple people had issues when running both at once. If you're going to use both, just make sure to use the GameData.bin file from the Gay Fates hack when you randomize.

So if say...I were to add Supports for the Amiibo characters...they would keep them regardless of who they were swapped with? That's pretty cool.

But I did try this out last night and had a pretty interesting issue. The randomizer swapped Orochi with Hinoka and things were fine for the first cutscene of the prologue with the exception of Hinoka's text boxes not switching her portraits or name to Orochi and then the game just...bombed. None of the changes were reflected after that including Hinoka who still appeared as normal despite being swapped seconds prior. After finishing the prologue and proceeding to the trial with Xander the game froze on me when starting the battle. I completed it without using Hans thinking the freeze might just have been my music mods but then the game froze upon Rinkah attacking me in the following mission.

I haven't tried removing my BCSTM mods yet but I'm not sure why they'd cause the game to freeze. You said other people had issues with this and Gay Fates, so hopefully this series of unfortunate events sheds some light on the issue.

Edit:
I'm very sorry, but I believe I've solved my freezing issue. It's possible that I randomized things incorrectly and my ignorance about how BCSTMs work likely lead to my game freezing. I wasn't aware each BCSTM had multiple files that included their battle variants. The game probably attempted to load certain songs that no longer existed causing it to lock up. As for your randomizer it's worth noting that I randomized the same game multiple time to attempt to get more favorable results. How exactly would this impact a rom? It may have caused my issues.

As a final question, are there any plans to force certain randomizations (say, forcing Marth over Ryoma but randomizing everything else)? I was randomizing my rom so many times in hopes of having the Amiibo characters replace the lords.

Edited by jkid101094

Alright. So, first time modding my 3DS for the sole sake of getting this working. And I have to say, It's honestly pretty great. Did a Randomized conquest with some interesting results.

However, when I did the randomizing itself, I noticed I wasn't allowed to choose Revelations. My assumption is that it's because my physical copy is Conquest. But, I've downloaded Revelations and Birthright as playable paths. What do I need to do to actually make a Revelations randomization?

Similarly, if I did something like randomize Revelations, and then choose Birthright, will the game break? It would be interesting to, say, end up with the Nohr siblings during the Birthright storyline or vice-versa.

Also, I've currently only had one "bug-out" moment. Peri appeared in Nyx's place, and I simply could not recruit her. Her conversation would freeze my DS, even if I tried to skip it.

36 minutes ago, Atik said:

However, when I did the randomizing itself, I noticed I wasn't allowed to choose Revelations. My assumption is that it's because my physical copy is Conquest. But, I've downloaded Revelations and Birthright as playable paths. What do I need to do to actually make a Revelations randomization?

You need the actual files from Revelations (and Birthright) to randomize them. In this case you'd need to decompile the DLC as well which require Custom Firmware.

how do you randomize just classes? I can do the join order but when I have it clicked off all my units are still there OG class, I have random stats, skills, and dlc classes checked (conquest to of course) I;m also using the same sex marrige mod, I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I merged the m folder with the mod with the one I was going to ranomize and over written anything it asked. I also used the gamedata.bin from the mod

Edited by chaoz2343
clarify

37 minutes ago, chaoz2343 said:

how do you randomize just classes? I can do the join order but when I have it clicked off all my units are still there OG class, I have random stats, skills, and dlc classes checked (conquest to of course) I;m also using the same sex marrige mod, I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I merged the m folder with the mod with the one I was going to ranomize and over written anything it asked. I also used the gamedata.bin from the mod

Have you tried the randomization without using the Gay Fates mod? It seems to be causing issues for a lot of people and I honestly can't see why else your rom wouldn't be randomizing correctly. Then again, I'm not the program author.

23 hours ago, jkid101094 said:

You need the actual files from Revelations (and Birthright) to randomize them. In this case you'd need to decompile the DLC as well which require Custom Firmware.

Ah. That sounds like it could be a headache.

And, considering the way HANS seems to read the game, I'm guessing I would need to use a different method to actually play it?

So after a lot of struggling (mostly through my own stupidity) I managed to get this thing working. But something curious happened. On the prologue all of the enemy units are randomized (bar Xander) and all of the allied units are not randomized at all. I randomized another file and the same thing happened. Did i screw up somewhere to cause this to happen? If so how can I fix it? If it matters I'm running the NTR CFW and Gay Fates.

1 hour ago, Vizron said:

So after a lot of struggling (mostly through my own stupidity) I managed to get this thing working. But something curious happened. On the prologue all of the enemy units are randomized (bar Xander) and all of the allied units are not randomized at all. I randomized another file and the same thing happened. Did i screw up somewhere to cause this to happen? If so how can I fix it? If it matters I'm running the NTR CFW and Gay Fates.

Sis you only randomize Conquest? If that's the case, then only the Nohr units are random in the prologue. Also note that, many times, guest and NPC units seem to revert to their "correct" forms, like Xander in the Prologue. But their dialogue boxes still show the random replacement.

12 hours ago, Atik said:

Ah. That sounds like it could be a headache.

And, considering the way HANS seems to read the game, I'm guessing I would need to use a different method to actually play it?

No, actually. At least not from my understanding. It seems that Hans will run the edited files from the cartridge while your 3DS will load any custom dlc as if it were official (once installed). I've recently installed Luma CFW myself to try randomizing Revelations but I'm stuck trying to get at the Rev DLC itself.

I've been referring to these two posts for guidance but I've hit a rut. I'll happily write up a guide of what exactly I did once I finally figure it out though.

Sorry for the silence over the past few days. I have a big update to the randomizer in the works, but it's not quite ready for release. In the meantime, I've gone ahead and released a smaller update, Beta 4-2. Here's the list of changes:

• Added support for European versions of Fates. No more renaming folders!
  • Redid the system for randomizing map scripts once again. There's still no fix for some of the most prominent crashes, but this change should improve stability to some extent.
  • Mozu's finally in the randomization pool again after a prolonged absence.
  • A couple additional, miscellaneous bug fixes.

I've also updated the main post with new instructions for running the hack on your 3DS as well as a FAQ section.

1 hour ago, KunaiKevlin said:

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to this site and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me get the randomizer onto my Apple computer. I've tried the other sites and steps but so far no game. Thanks!

You'll need to find a way to make FEAT work with an Apple, because .exe files are meant for Windows.  I'll leave the resulting searches to you, as FEAT wasn't written by the same person that did the randomizer.  Try not to get too drunk.

If you're talking about the actual ROM, drop it.  Now.

2 hours ago, KunaiKevlin said:

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to this site and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me get the randomizer onto my Apple computer. I've tried the other sites and steps but so far no game. Thanks!

Did you try putting FEAT.exe in a wineskin wrapper? I haven't tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

Okay, beta 5 is out! Here's everything that was added in this update:
  • Randomizer results are now saved to an XML file. You can load this file next time you randomize to get the same results. Alternatively, you can modify the file to get the results you want from the randomizer.
  • Added an option to randomize all paths at once provided that the files for all three paths verified correctly.
  • The experimental options section is back. Options in this section are functional, but they may lead to unintended behaviors in game.
  • Added an option for changing every appearance of a character to use their new class. This option causes the AI to behave oddly in certain situations (most notably, chapter 5), so the option has been flagged as "Experimental" for now.
  • Fixed a bug which caused chapter 11 to crash if Reina's replacement was not a flying class.

I am having a few issues that you might solve with 2-3 changes to your sentences in the instructions! Other than that I have a greater issue as well:

"7. Run Fates-Randomizer.jar, click "Open and Verify," and select the storage folder. You should see a new window pop up with options. If you do not, the window will show you which file was not found. "

I was really confused if I should hit European File Structure + German or not...Step 7 doesn't even mention these options. Maybe add them into the instructions.(I did now choose European+German)

8. Select a path and options. Refer to the section above if you do not understand an option. Hit "Randomize" and let the program sit. When the program finishes, a little notification will pop up in the corner of the window.

My "Randomize" option does NOT work *unless* I hit the "Children button. I can mark ANY/EVERY other option - without Children also beeing Marked, it will never Randomize.This is the Screen after pressing: "Randomize" with these options. Nothing will happen.

58a064af2e370_2017-02-1214_19_14-FatesRandomizer.png.7b2ea635baa5e22f2653fa9da3b52ccd.png

So I am basically 100% forced to Mark Children, or else it won't work. If I then go with the Children option and hit "Randomize" the Window will freeze for about ~30seconds. In this time the Window will not respond in any way. Screenshot: This will happen after "Children" is marke. The window will now freeze for about 20-60 seconds.

58a064bdd3e89_2017-02-1214_19_54-FatesRandomizerBeta5.thumb.png.e3b52d452060ada98457d21041d97f0e.png

In this time nothing will happen. Once the freeze stopped, the only thing that changes will be: "Complete" - Right to the "Optional Characters"-Text, and the White bar will be *Instantly(!)" blue, without any step inbetween. There will be no other pop-up or notification.

58a064c0b51de_2017-02-1214_20_19-FatesRandomizerBeta5.png.ed405f28b55652ed71b48198ec3dba15.png

9. Close Fates-Randomizer.jar and highlight all of the files in the storage folder. Drag them into FEAT like you did previously to recompress them. You can close FEAT it finishes compressing every file.

By "Highlighting ALL the files in the storage folder"... you mean even the "Output.txt" and "RandomizerSettings.xml"? Since you said all - I did recompile all files...even the .txt gile (i really cannot see a normal .txt file having any use for the 3DS...)

And the last question: There are only physical versions of Birthright and Conquest... but in this youtube video i saw ALL characters from both sites beeing replaced ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4hNUjSQOmk ) and beeing swapped with each others sides... Any tips for that?

Thanks for your time

On 2/12/2017 at 7:56 AM, blackykop said:

snip

The instructions are a holdover from the original release. That version lacked any sort of support for Japanese or European versions of Fates, so that explains why the instructions don't match up perfectly. For German, select both the European option and German.

I received some reports about issues with the randomizer button not working like its supposed to, but I never received any additional details. If the child button is the source of the issue, I'll see what I can do to fix it. With regards to the program appearing to freeze, that's due to something I screwed up on Beta 5. The program's running, it just won't respond until randomization completes. If you got both an output.txt file, your files were randomized successfully.

You don't need to compress the output file or the xml file. Output.txt includes a summary of what the randomizer did to each character. RandomizerSettings.xml can be loaded under the "Custom Path" option to get the same results from the randomizer that you received previously.

If you aren't on the Special Edition of Fates, modifying more than one path is impractical. You'd have to dump the DLC from your SD using something like Decrypt9, extract the content from each path DLC, randomize it, and then rebuild the DLC as a CIA file. Even if you have custom firmware on your 3DS, it's not an easy thing to do. However, if you are on custom firmware, you can probably just get the special edition through other means.